Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2007, 19:35   #316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP View Post
Though artefacts don't have much to do with connectors in this scenario, it does have something to do with the STB's RISC processor though. For example, in complex scenes, the same free to air channel have less artefacts when I connect the cable directly to my HDTV than when I run them via the STB. So it appears that the STB's processor is the weak link in that situation, not just the transmission/ reception.
I think you are talking of some really low quality decoders here.
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:03   #317
sAP
BHPian

Not so low quality as you think. See the model here: Coship -- Product . Where can I get the one with an HDD you said was available for 15k? I can ask for an irdeto version import.
Old 24th August 2007, 10:41   #318
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Mine took less than 15 mins today. TH-42PV70H Panasonic plasma. I'm happy with it's quality.
Congrats, Rudraji. Excellent choice. The panasonic viera plasma's have very good picture quality.

For Plasma's another good choice is the Pioneer's. The picture quality is one of the best in the business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
Had purchased a Samsung LA40R81B couple of weeks back (it only took 10 minutes in the shop after Vidyut gave me the model number, thanks dude).
Tadu, congrats on the buy. Like I said anything above 37" on even Tata-sky sucks. It's sad that tata-sky advertises DVD quality but the truth is far from that. The pictures are stretched and as as result get pixelated.
Old 24th August 2007, 12:39   #319
Senior - BHPian

I double people who said that mpeg artifacts should not be dependent on type of connector much. It is directly dependent on-

1. Type of compression used for transmission. I believe all DTH/digital cables available today use mpeg2. BSNL's IPTV will use mpeg4 instead. Guess all of them will transition to mpeg4 in due course.

2. Bitrate, which must be viewed in relation to the type of compression. The thumb rule seems to be that bitrate X with mpeg4 should be equivalent or better than 2X mpeg2 in terms of subjective quality.

3. The level of decoding/quality of STB.

I am willing to go for BSNL because they are claiming 1.8-2.5Mbps mpeg4-AVC, which is expected to be closer to real DVD than other options available. So, guess it will be a better (TV) option to put big screens to some use, rather than magnifying various artifacts for our eyes

(HD transmission is a different story, but let us move to high quality standard definition first!)
Old 24th August 2007, 14:16   #320
Senior - BHPian

Anyone have any experience with any of the following:

* PHILIPS 37PF7321 LCD TV
* Philips 32TA1600/98 LCD TV

Both seemed to have decent picture quality, off DVDs as well as TataSky feed

I loved the looks of the latter (and its just 40k), but am still not sure if the 32" one is worth moving "up" to over my 25" CRT - or maybe it just felt tiny amongst those behemoths in the store. Our viewing distance at home is anywhere between 6-10 feet.

Also read somewhere that with the LCDs, the primary thing that affects life is the bulb - and its worth checking out if it can be replaced easily if fade sets in. Any gyaan on this ?
Old 24th August 2007, 15:06   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
I am willing to go for BSNL because they are claiming 1.8-2.5Mbps mpeg4-AVC, which is expected to be closer to real DVD than other options available. So, guess it will be a better (TV) option to put big screens to some use, rather than magnifying various artifacts for our eyes
Eagerly waiting for your reviews of the BSNL service. If that works on a 40 inch panel, I get BSNL. Only thing, hope I dont have to go around filling too many chalans...
Old 24th August 2007, 16:12   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
Eagerly waiting for your reviews of the BSNL service. If that works on a 40 inch panel, I get BSNL. Only thing, hope I dont have to go around filling too many chalans...
It appears from my post that I might be owning a huge TV panel, but let me tell you that I have only 21" CRT. With poor quality cable, I never found bigger TVs more attractive or worthwhile. Like Ajaybiz, I want to continue with small TV until upgrading to full HD panels, sometime later. LCD/Plams prices are still a bit on higher side even after recent drops.

Regarding IPTV, I am curious too! They had tentatively agreed upon installing it during the weekend because I preferred so, but no confirmation so far! No need to pay chalans, one can book online and all charges will appear in the next phone bill (which can also be paid online these days). Of late BSNL's image is changing for good, though they can not come close to highly professional private companies.

If I got it right, IPTV is more of IOL's undertaking. They have more stake in the business than BSNL (70:30% profit sharing to begin with). Guess all the content/network management will be entirely handled by them, with dependence on BSNL only for "the last mile" connectivity.
Old 24th August 2007, 16:39   #323
Senior - BHPian

How do the LCD rear projetion TVs stack up ? Seem more cost effective - 60k for a 42" - Sony India : KF-42E200A (KF42E200A) : Details
Old 24th August 2007, 17:08   #324
BANNED

As of now no broadcast atleast in India in HD format which is good for wide screen TV's whether its LCD or Plasmas, HD compitable or full HD, plug in and make it out that even Tata Sky or any other DTH is showing some pixels as still they are using old format i.e. 800*600 HD is still far away from India.
So till time be happy with current ones and later on upgrade it for decent prise that too for worth watching broadcasting.Even we have to wait untill sony and others will stop their Bule Ray and HD format war and comes out with common solution.
BTW i am using Pioneer DVD which upscales normal DVD to 1080i resolution to give you feel of HD but not true HD .Still using mini DV cam instead of so called latest DVD and HDD cams(which performs poorer then mini DV).

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 24th August 2007 at 17:10.
Old 24th August 2007, 17:17   #325
sAP
BHPian

peripheral vision vs size scaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
... but am still not sure if the 32" one is worth moving "up" to over my 25" CRT - or maybe it just felt tiny amongst those behemoths in the store. Our viewing distance at home is anywhere between 6-10 feet.
A 32" widescreen in 16:9 format will only give you a equivalent "size" experience as that of a 25" 4:3 aspect TV. Most people who previously had a 29" TV and buy a 32" widescreen TV find that their TV has actually become smaller!

This is because the vertical height of a screen plays a major role in visual size scaling. A 32" widescreen's vertical dimension is the same as a 25" standard screen with added peripheral vision.

If are used to a 25" TV, I suggest you go in for a 37" widescreen or above, which is equivalent to a 29 incher. Here is a resource which will help you size up TV buying guide - CNET reviews

sAP
Old 24th August 2007, 23:45   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It appears from my post that I might be owning a huge TV panel, but let me tell you that I have only 21" CRT.
Thanks for being honest, most people would do the opposite.

Quote:
If I got it right, IPTV is more of IOL's undertaking. They have more stake in the business than BSNL (70:30% profit sharing to begin with). Guess all the content/network management will be entirely handled by them, with dependence on BSNL only for "the last mile" connectivity.
What are the channels available in this BSNL venture that you are talking about, frankly i have never heard of anything like it from BSNL. So, could you help here ?
Old 24th August 2007, 23:57   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP View Post
If are used to a 25" TV, I suggest you go in for a 37" widescreen or above, which is equivalent to a 29 incher. Here is a resource which will help you size up TV buying guide - CNET reviews

sAP
Thanks a ton. A 37" minimum is exactly the conclusion we felt was reached as an upgrade in the store - but unfortunately had started out with a 50k limit. This is starting to feel like my ICE budget
Old 25th August 2007, 00:40   #328
sAP
BHPian

3 LCD rear projection tvs

The 3 LCD rear projection TVs from Sony are superb for their price, and personally I find them a whole lot better than LCD screens because there is no apparent digital "blockiness", artefacts or mosquito screen effect even with a low resolution signal! And that 3LCD colour saturation is so pleasing.

When put side-by-side to an LCD, the contrast is a little lower but not low enough to be noticable otherwise, even in a bright room. Also they cannot be wall-mounted and it's internal bulb needs to be replaced every 2000 hours.

PS: Sony also sells tube based rear projection TVs in 42" and 53" (4:3 aspect) but I am not referring to them here.

sAP

Last edited by sAP : 25th August 2007 at 00:41. Reason: Highlighted the word "tube" in the last paragraph
Old 25th August 2007, 06:51   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
What are the channels available in this BSNL venture that you are talking about, frankly i have never heard of anything like it from BSNL. So, could you help here ?
That's because it's relatively recent development. IOL (IOL Broadband - Home) had started this service about 6-8 months back in Mumbai/Delhi (and Pune also, not sure). Their service and STBs reportedly were bad in the beginning, but later they moved to amino STBs and it has changed. They have officially launched it in Bangalore/Kolkata in collaboration with BSNL on the independence day this year. Not sure about your city of residence- Chennai.

Regarding channels, they are promising 150 channels listed here (and more in future) + VoD, and other interactive services in due course, like time shifted TV (pausing live TV), e-learning, video conferencing. But as of now there are only 50-60 channels to begin with. Presently they are providing a few HD channels in Mumbai for field trials, formal launch in all covered cities is expected sometime next year!
Old 25th August 2007, 10:48   #330
Senior - BHPian

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks