Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2007, 14:34   #241
BHPian

DLP projection TV

Are there any manufacturers selling DLP projection TVs in india?? Searched Sony, Samsung both dont have DLP Tvs in india. Although Sony has LCD projection TVs.
Old 17th July 2007, 14:54   #242
BHPian

hey shazikon - i own the sony 3lcd projection tv - they go all the way from 42" hd ready to 70" full hd sxrd panels. They come with the bravia engine and are similiar in PQ to normal LCDs, except that they are not wall mountable

These are two of my posts regarding this tv
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post492565
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post493072
Old 18th July 2007, 12:15   #243
BHPian

Hi Jassi, thanks for the information. i saw your replies in this thread. I also saw a demo of the 3LCD Sony .. it was very good compared to similar size LCD Tvs but LCD projection TVs are prone to "screen door effect" and are also prone to pixel burn ins. Pictures are sharp with good contrast ratio but its not smooth. This is where a DLP TV gains..
Old 18th July 2007, 12:28   #244
BHPian

Hey Shazi,

Pixel burn ins are not a problem on the sony lcd projection sets, that is more of a plasma problem. These tvs are perfectly fine for gaming or connecting your computer, and i can say that from my personal experience. I have this tv for quite some time - and I am a very regular gamer (xbox360) as well connect my laptop every day overnight (evening 8pm to morning 9am) with no problems. The same applies to atleast a dozen or more friends I have with the same setup in US, Germany, India & Australia, all of us are using different locally available variants of the same technology from sony for the last few years
Also as far as screen door effect, yes lcd-proj suffers from this more as compared to dlp tvs, however the sony 3lcds are tuned for the right sharpness to eliminate the screen door effect
Old 19th July 2007, 18:20   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been seeing several discount and offers in the papers on LCD tvs in bombay this month.
I am looking to get around a 37inch LCD sometime this year , should i get it now or would the prices be better discounted during diwali?
Old 19th July 2007, 19:31   #246

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

wait for diwali,i have a friend who owns a multi-appliance showroom and he tells me that there are going to be massive price drops in lcd tvs and plasmas during the festive season.
Old 22nd July 2007, 12:05   #247
BHPian

I have a Sony 42inch LCD Projection TV (Bought an year ago for 1Lakh). The clarity is very awesome when you watch Sports, Discovery channels. The object almost seems like real. Only draw back is, it will take 30 seconds to brighten up when the TV is swtiched on. Apart from this it is a worth buy compared to LCDs, which costs more. However SONY no more sells LCD Projections. They have only LCDs which is very costly. The alternate option would be Samsung LCDs which is value for money. Plasmas have their own disadvantages so they are not very popular. I am not sure whether the burn-in effect are overcome now.
Old 30th July 2007, 07:32   #248
BHPian

Hey Gopi - Sony still sells lcd projection series (with bravia engine now all the way from 42" 3lcd to 70" sxrd). I bought my 42" for 58k a few months back Heres the link Sony India - like no other

The burn-in effect is gone now but the 30 second startup still exists (i can wait 30 seconds cos its so awesome once it brightens up )

cheers,
j
Old 30th July 2007, 10:41   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Hey Gopi - Sony still sells lcd projection series (with bravia engine now all the way from 42" 3lcd to 70" sxrd). I bought my 42" for 58k a few months back Heres the link Sony India - like no other

The burn-in effect is gone now but the 30 second startup still exists (i can wait 30 seconds cos its so awesome once it brightens up )

cheers,
j

Jassi, can you enlighten me with these terminologies which are new to me. Like burn-in effect and screen door effect, how exactly it effects the quality of the picture on the LCD projection? And, what exactly is the difference between LCD Projection TV and normal LCD Panels?
Old 30th July 2007, 11:27   #250
BHPian

Jassi,
After seeing my TV one of my friend booked the TV with Bravia engine for 60k. After a week SONY dealer returned the booking amount stating that they no more sells LCD Projections and sell only LCD TV because now you have large range of sizes in LCDs. So he ended up buying a 32 inch Samsung LCD TV. May be it is your luck you got it in the stocks.

Initially my startup time was 25-30 seconds but now it is coming in 10-15 seconds which is good.

mobike008,
I'll answer your query
burn-in effect: This problem is similar to the computer monitor. If there is a still image in the screen for a longer time those pixels would burn-in. That is the reason you run screen savers after some minutes in the computer. Actually burn-in effect occurs only in Plasma. When you watch programs/movies which has horizontal or vertical bars you may end up burn-in pixels where the bars exist. This is the greatest disadvantage of plasmas and the cost of replacing it is very high since it contains gas. But LCD works on liquid crystal so there is no burn-in effect. However, now Plasma manufacturers say that they have overcome this problem by refreshing the whole screen after certain amount of time.

screen-door effect:
If you sit close to an LCD you may notice a faint grid of pixels, much like a screen door, overlaid atop the image. You're seeing the space between the pixels, which is more visible on LCD. It's generally not noticeable even on LCDs unless you sit closer than twice the diagonal measurement of the screen. So this affects the image quality if you see closer to the screen.

Ghosting effect:
This is important when you buy a LCD TV. When you see fast moving objects like racing car or sports you tend to see a blurred image and there is less clarity. This is due to the more response time of the LCD TV. If it is 30 milliseconds then you can clearly see the ghosting effect. In this area Plasa takes its advantage. However most of the new LCD models have been reduced to 8 ms which minimized the ghosting effect.
Difference between LCDs and LCD Projections:
Some years ago manufacturers could produce LCD sizes only upto 40 inch. They could not go beyond these sizes. So they came with the Projection technology as you see in Movie screen where the projector beams the picture on the white screen or a Projector which is used in slide show/meetings. This is called Front projection. The same technology is used as a Rear projection. The TV screen is front and the beam come from back of the TV through a powerful light source. Using this they were able to produce large sizes like 42',52',60 etc..
As technology grow now they can produce large sizes without using projections. There are slight disadvantages in Projections such as it is not slim, takes 10-30 seconds to start the TV (Light is used as a source so it needs to heat on). Apart from this it is worth for the money spent on it.
I hope you are clear now.

Last edited by gopinathann : 30th July 2007 at 11:30.
Old 30th July 2007, 12:24   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Gopi, that was one awesome and simple explanation. Thanks a bunch !

So is it true that LCD projections are no longer available in the market? I am planning to buy an LCD and will wait till Diwali to buy it. I am hoping there will be some plunge in prices by then?? Can anybody confirm?
Old 30th July 2007, 16:00   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Hey Gopi, that was one awesome and simple explanation. Thanks a bunch !

So is it true that LCD projections are no longer available in the market? I am planning to buy an LCD and will wait till Diwali to buy it. I am hoping there will be some plunge in prices by then?? Can anybody confirm?
there are always discounts at diwali. buy an lcd. look at samsung or sony.
Old 30th July 2007, 16:22   #253
BHPian

Every year the price will be reducing. Initially when I enquired about the 42 inch LCD Projetion, it's price was around 2 lakhs. Then it came reducing and it was around 1.10 lakhs when I was planning to buy. After negotiating with various dealers I got it for 1 lakh (year ago). Now Jassi has bought it for 60K. Seeing this, LCD prices will drastically come down once more customers buy it. ofcourse, that is the strategy. If you can spend a little more go for SONY.
Old 30th July 2007, 16:26   #254
BHPian

Hey mobik - looks like you got your explanation from gopi
Compared to a standard lcd tv an lcd projection (3lcd or sxrd) uses lcd projection mechanism to project the image on the lcd screen. They come with the bravia engine and are similiar in PQ to normal LCDs, except that they are not wall mountable cos the base is slightly protruding.

These are two of my posts regarding this tv
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post492565
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post493072

Gopi - i checked with the local sony world - it seems they are not selling 42 inchers of the lcd projection variety anymore. However lcd projection tvs by sony, especially the SXRD are quite popular all over the world and I don't think sony is going to stop their sales. Its the dealers mostly who dont want to sell these tvs cos the margins are much more on regular lcd tv.

-j
Old 30th July 2007, 16:26   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
ofcourse, that is the strategy. If you can spend a little more go for SONY.
Do you mean the LCD? From hearsay, i thought Samsung is doing great in LCD sales?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks