Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2007, 10:36   #406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
should happen sometime now. theyll call it a festive discount first and then reduce the price to that after the festive season.
The prices will start dropping near diwali( 1 or 2 days before and after diwali).
That is the time when companies will try selling up their piled stocks.
Old 15th October 2007, 11:07   #407
BHPian

Since last year I am waiting for SED TV from Toshiba, these guys are now stuck up in legal battle over IP infringment. This was expected in NOV2006. Will wait for more 1-2years for the same before evaluating Sony OLED (if they fix life of blue OLED) and plasma (life and burn-in issue), LCD (response time and angle of view) at that time.
Old 15th October 2007, 11:29   #408
Senior - BHPian

Very True...

I have been waiting for last couple of years to get a good Flat TV under a lac. But even today what you get is mostly crap.

LCDs have blurring and over saturation images (unreal color), the extra brightness they offer tends to create eye strain in home environment.

Plasmas still are not Full HD (1080p), are heavy and fragile, emit radiation (mfgs claim it is safe, but it still does emits radiation), limited Computer connectivity, have burn it issues, consume lots of power.

Every year around this time I start looking at these TVs but still not convinced about replacing the tube with these so called upmarket gadgets :(
Old 15th October 2007, 11:36   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by st7677
My hypothesis is that since Plasma uses same display rendering technology as CRT (electrons fired on a phosphorous screen, which emits all kinds of radiation along with visible picture), it would be as bad as the CRT. Whereas LCD uses a backlight, and hours and hours of using laptop monitor has not created any stress for me.

So with my limited knowledge I believe LCD should be significantly better for eyes as compared to the plasma TV, request gurus to pl confirm...
After watching (Samsung) LCD for couple of hours yesterday I would have to drop my hypothesis that LCD TVs are easier on eyes.
There is a big difference in computer screen and TV screen and the two cannot be compared in this context.

I some how now tend to agree with these posts below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj
The key problem I noticed is the level of backlight brightness, which looks good in a well lit showroom becomes an irritant at home (at night). I am not aware if any mfg let's you adjust that (like in laptop monitor), which should take care of primary cause of eye strain. (in my limited knowledge)

However I am yet to detail out a plasma to suggest if it is better or worse than LCD...
Old 15th October 2007, 12:23   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The key problem I noticed is the level of backlight brightness, which looks good in a well lit showroom becomes an irritant at home (at night). I am not aware if any mfg let's you adjust that (like in laptop monitor), which should take care of primary cause of eye strain. (in my limited knowledge)
Yup, LCD tvs have a backlight option (atleast Sony has it). They also come with light sensors that automatically adjust brightness, contrast and backlight based on how well lit the room is.

Quote:
LCDs have blurring and over saturation images (unreal color), the extra brightness they offer tends to create eye strain in home environment.
Even though LCD tvs boast of high contrast ratios, i find it better when contrast is set to around 60%. This gives a relatively better picture, cuts down on pixelation (if you're watching a 480p video) and puts less strain on the eyes.

As for the blurring, Sony has this mode called DRC. This basically finetunes the image and reduces blurring.

From what i've experienced, the preset video modes (soft, standard, vivid etc) are a waste. They just make the image look unrealistic and painful to the eyes.

Just do a bit of manual tuning and you'l end up with a much better visual output.

Shan2nu
Old 15th October 2007, 16:14   #411
Team-BHP Support

st677 - even samsung has an option to adjust the backlight brightness. and you can get full hd plasmas by samsung and hitachi.
Old 15th October 2007, 16:19   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
even samsung has an option to adjust the backlight brightness.
Can you tell me how to reach/adjust this?
I could not find this setting in the brief stint I had with the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord
I already have a Tata Sky connection, What should I bargain for to get off?
More discount

Last edited by ST7677 : 15th October 2007 at 16:20.
Old 15th October 2007, 16:22   #413
Team-BHP Support

dont remember exactly. too lazy to switch it on and see. when you press the menu button scroll to the bottom most category. either there will be a power saver mode or an auto adjust.
Old 15th October 2007, 17:00   #414
BHPian

Hi guys, I have a question... I'm contemplating the purchase of a 46" Samsung LCD TV - the LA46M81B, Mosel Blaque (I think). My primary use for the TV would be gaming.
In games like Halo 2, & Halo 3, if I use the plasma sword (to the uninitiated, it's a weapon in the game), I notice that my current TV (an ancient, 8-year old, 29" Toshiba) has "artifacts", or skewing of color, along the sides for a while. They usually last for a couple of minutes, but have persisted for a couple of hours a few times.
Would I be facing something similar with the LCD TVs also ? Has anybody faced the same ? I understand that current generation LCDs do not suffer from "burning in", is this the same with the TVs available here ?
Old 15th October 2007, 17:02   #415
BHPian

In my opinion, Panasonic and Sharp are the best. Sharp gave some problems, but I am using Panasonic Viera series and with the right cables it is slightly better than the Sony and Samsung.
Old 15th October 2007, 17:04   #416
Senior - BHPian

You are confusing between LCD and Plasma technology....

LCD never had any problem with Burning in. Plasma has.
Old 15th October 2007, 17:42   #417
BHPian

Plasma's don't produce radiation

In CRT, it has electron gun which uses potential difference of 17KV for beaming and accelerating electrons. Electron has to travel for ~0.5 meters distance before reaching destination. Also in electron beam, electron density is more than required, means extra electrons need to be masked before reaching phosphor screen (to which we look from other side of glass). That's why along with electron this high voltage device creates other radiations like X-ray and electromagnetic fields. But now CRT manufaturers place Boron coating on glass to reduce X-ray radiations and we have to live with electromagnetic radiations. which is at backside of CRT mostly due to PD and deflection yokes.

In plasma for the electron creation, energy is very little as required and PD is very less. Also electron density is very less ( read just required). So no extra harmful radiations. Distance required to travel is just inside individual color pellet.

So no comparison for CRT and plasma. As both are different. Plasma is fixed pixel display while CRT is moving pixel (raster) display device.

I hope thats not that boring.
Old 15th October 2007, 17:51   #418
Senior - BHPian

Sounds much better

But, I have been reading that whereas radiation comes out upto a feet from CRT, from Plasma it reaches out only about an inch.

That said, radiation IS THERE and the large surface area of plasma tv would only increase the exposure, to add to that there are electromagnetic radiations...

Can you throw some more light on above.
Old 15th October 2007, 19:03   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Sounds much better

But, I have been reading that whereas radiation comes out upto a feet from CRT, from Plasma it reaches out only about an inch.

That said, radiation IS THERE and the large surface area of plasma tv would only increase the exposure, to add to that there are electromagnetic radiations...

Can you throw some more light on above.
You are right. There are radiations in both. For CRT the energy involved when electron coming from a distant electron gun and striking the phosphor is more and hence light produced will have same intensity as plasma but same time by-products are also more intense. Magnetic field is directly proportional to flow of electrons, its energy and legnth of path it travels. All are more in CRT.

In plasma it uses efficient way of producing electron in low energy and small space. So there is low radiation. But still it is there as it involves change of energy level of striking electrons.

1. First excite the electron to become free - provide energy in form of heat (CRT only) and voltage difference (this is less in plasma).
2. Direct the same towards phosphor material surface. IN CRT it is Phosphor between negative charged porous screen (Cathode) and in plasma it is transprant conducting surface with low -ve volts.
3. Electron strikes on phosphor to release its energy to phosphor to give out light (red/green/blue). Same time by-products too (X-ray, electromagnetic fields).

Only difference is electron path is small and more controlled in each cell of plasma. CRT it is very much crude way of achieving same result. (means driving at 40kmph using 1st gear (CRT) and 4th gear (Plasma)). Result is same but wastage is more in by-product.

Also in CRT to focus electron beam at different location on phosphor screen deflection yokes are used which are high energy magnetic field coils. It control horizontal and vertical position of illuminated spot. and moving all over the screen in top-botton and left-right direction constantly. This defletion machanism of magnetic coils is not required for plasma. Only required pixels are switches on/off and using controlled electron production light brightness is also controlled.

1. Now intensity these radiation from source is inversely proporsonal to square of distace. Means roughly- as distance increases by one unit, radation strengh decreases to 1/sq(distance) times appox. (I am avoiding all theory words).

Now you know why CRT is radiating upto few feets.

2. Also while spreading if radiation of same wavelength come across in phase then then intensity increases but still it will die after some distance. Same time they cancel out each other if they are out of phase.(Similar to Bose's noise reducing headphones) So area of plasma has this effect but increment is not more than 1.25 times of original spreading of radiation in plasma.

Last edited by omishra : 15th October 2007 at 19:10.
Old 15th October 2007, 19:17   #420
Senior - BHPian

Ah thanks, that was very helpful.

So you mean that there is practically no harmful radiation from a Plasma Display panel and I can safely consider it with toddlers at home...

(of course other issues leading to eye strain would be still there).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks