Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2007, 23:26   #391
BHPian

Three key components to make a good picture - each one matters!

Basically there are three elements that are important to get a good picture. All three are important and the end result is as good as the weakest link.

1. Source - normal DVD players will give you MPEG-2 SD quality. Progressive is better than interlaced. Then there are two HD resolution DVD formats - BluRay and HD-DVD. Both take it to 1080p resolution. Alternatively you can look at other proprietary or standard codecs used in PC's, Gaming devices, STB's etc (that use H.264, VC-1, MPEG-4, VP6/7/Flash, etc.). You do get a few DVD players that upconvert SD sources (normal DVDs) to HD resolution - again check what level - typically 480/720p or 1080i. Have not really seen commercial quality upconverted DVD's, but only professional ones, so cannot comment on quality. You also get HD camcorders these days becoming affordable (<$1000, compared to professional quality HD cameras)..

2. Display device - As discussed the highest resolution capability of the device - again interlaced or progressive at 480, 720, 1080 and a few others in between. Again progressive is better than interlaced. These could be projection devices as well besides standard TVs (LCD, Plasma etc.)

3. Connectivity - Composite, S-Video, Component, DVI, HDMI (the only one that integrates audio and video in one cable). There are of course the PC based connectors - VGA/SVGA,XGA etc..If you use a video card, the video o/p's could be similar to video feeds mentioned above. Audio can be standard banana connectors, XLR (professional), optical (typically used for surround sound in conjunction with an audio decoder - Dolby digital etc. ) or integrated (HDMI). For 1080p, use HDMI (preferable) or component. HDMI and other formats of connectors carry all resolutions - HDMI does not mean 1080p automatically (depends on source and display)

All of these are video standards. If you go to above this you start getting into e-cinema and d-cinema resolutions measured in 1.2K, 2K, 4K (K=1000) lines of resolution. These are typically projectors used for projection in digital theaters. Audio here typically is surround sound.

All three matter - eg. If you have a 1080p display with HDMI connectors but if the feed is crappy low bit rate MPEG-2 from say a Hathway box the net result is a magnified crappy picture - bigger the size of the display, more crappy it will look! The best TV and the connector will NOT help..Most of the showrooms do not have these three components sorted out to show the true quality of what is possible.

Last edited by rangaraj : 4th October 2007 at 23:33.
Old 5th October 2007, 10:39   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You do get a few DVD players that upconvert SD sources (normal DVDs) to HD resolution - again check what level - typically 480/720p or 1080i.
I've noticed that DVD 9 movies run at a slightly higher resolution when compared to regular DVDs. I guess it has to do with the higher storage capacity of the DVD that lets it do this. But even so, it still leaves a lot to be desired. Nothing like watching a HD video that matches the HDTV screen, pixel to pixel.

Shan2nu
Old 6th October 2007, 23:00   #393
Senior - BHPian

Just as I was getting out of my ICE jolt my wife reminded me for a flat panel larger display, which brought me to this thread. (you ask and you get it at T-bhp)!

Been through the whole thread but the concern I had foremost in my mind is still not addressed.

Got two toddlers at home who watch lot of TV from close distance and we know TV is bad for eyes specially at that tender age and a bigger TV means more eye strain...

My hypothesis is that since Plasma uses same display rendering technology as CRT (electrons fired on a phosphorous screen, which emits all kinds of radiation along with visible picture), it would be as bad as the CRT. Whereas LCD uses a backlight, and hours and hours of using laptop monitor has not created any stress for me.

So with my limited knowledge I believe LCD should be significantly better for eyes as compared to the plasma TV, request gurus to pl confirm...

This is very critical for me from my kids perspective, in making my decision between plasma / LCD or in fact an upsize upgrade at all...
Old 6th October 2007, 23:19   #394
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Got two toddlers at home who watch lot of TV from close distance and we know TV is bad for eyes specially at that tender age and a bigger TV means more eye strain...
Well, the best way to prevent that eye strain is to get them to not
watch so much TV.
Old 6th October 2007, 23:59   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677

Well, the best way to prevent that eye strain is to get them to not
watch so much TV.
Though we try that, that is always not a practical. So assuming whatever time they spend, what would be the better approach - Plasma or LCD? with some reasoning will help... Is my hypothesis correct?
Old 7th October 2007, 05:25   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Though we try that, that is always not a practical. So assuming whatever time they spend, what would be the better approach - Plasma or LCD? with some reasoning will help... Is my hypothesis correct?
TVs - Bits - Technology - New York Times Blog
Eye strain on LCD - CNET Community Newsletter: Q&A Forums
Two pointers..Personal opinions, nothing more..
Old 10th October 2007, 16:35   #397
Team-BHP Support

Team,

I plan to buy an LCD TV this diwali.

Budget: 35 K

Viewing Distance: 6 to 10 feet and an arc of 60 degrees

Viewing: Normal Cable TV . Might go for Tata Sky in the future.

Any suggestions as to which one to purchase ?
Old 10th October 2007, 16:38   #398
BHPian

not sure if there are any 32 inchers in that price range maybe 26" would come in at 35k

-j
Old 10th October 2007, 16:57   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Team,

i think 26" would be ideal...samsung LA26R71 is available at 32K.

Quote:
Might go for Tata Sky in the future.

samsung is running offers currently wherein u get tatasky connection free or else u can opt for cash discount.

Last edited by zakaaaaasss : 10th October 2007 at 16:59.
Old 10th October 2007, 17:16   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Sky is running an offer wherein you get flat 20% off on the box or %discount varies on the size of the tv you purchase along with it..So a 37inch tv will fetch you 37% discount....i might think of upsizing now for a higher discount :P
Old 10th October 2007, 17:21   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Team,

Viewing: Normal Cable TV . Might go for Tata Sky in the future.

Jack up your budget a bit more and go for 32" LCD. Anything below this size doesnt make sense in LCD. And go for samsung as a brand as until Nov 15, they offer tata sky free along with LCD.

Dont go by that ad of 10%, 20% offer on tv size by tata and be firm in your negotiation and you "should" get a free tata sky along with "any" tv size that you buy
Old 13th October 2007, 21:07   #402
Senior - BHPian

There was some news on price drop around Diwali Festive season.
The ads for all brands are out and I did not note any price drop...!

I am looking at either Sony or Samsung between 32" to 40" LCD TV...

Any news when and how much is it going to happen? or am I missing something...?

Last edited by ST7677 : 13th October 2007 at 21:09.
Old 14th October 2007, 15:51   #403
Team-BHP Support

should happen sometime now. theyll call it a festive discount first and then reduce the price to that after the festive season.
Old 15th October 2007, 00:23   #404
Senior - BHPian

hmmm... that's the standard practice... every year!

So far I could get around 10% off MRP on Samsung ,where as only 3% on Sony (window shopping, no hard core negotiations yet).

Heard these TV's are really cheap in Gray market, like Sony 32" for 35 k! Is it worth looking at?
Old 15th October 2007, 06:18   #405
BHPian

I already have a Tata Sky connection, What should I bargain for to get off?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks