Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2007, 22:46   #481
BHPian

i think the problems of dead pixels, burn ins, etc in lcds are long gone and I can vouch for that from work experience where I have seen a lot of video conferencing solutions use plasmas

zen - I had a talk with a friend in the industry. it seems the out of stock stuff is soon going to be taken care of as they plan to replace the 3lcds with the awesome sxrd range pretty soon All models like in the US (seen here BRAVIAź HDTV Rear Projection ) will not be available but there will be atleast one sxrd per size possibly starting from 37" going all the way upto 60-70" !!
Old 23rd October 2007, 23:23   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i think the problems of dead pixels, burn ins, etc in lcds are long gone and I can vouch for that from work experience where I have seen a lot of video conferencing solutions use plasmas
^ You cannot rule out the chance of one transistor going below the standard in a batch, how much ever 9's they put after the decimal. And one transistor gone, you get a dead line^.

I have another query, if someone has any insider info on this. How can Akai offer a 7 year all inclusive warranty on the LCD panel, and price it way too cheap? They revolutionized the TV market sometime ago, and they seem poised to do that in LCD.

Quote:
if you can bump up your budget from 52k to 58k then you can get the 42" 3lcd - Sony India : KF-42E200A (KF42E200A)
How different is KDF from KF? Or is that just models in different countries? 55k sounds pretty good for a 42" panel with 1080p and 10k contrast ratio. I have a Samsung 54 RPTV and this could be a cheaper upgrade.
Old 24th October 2007, 00:04   #483
BHPian

Not sure about kdf and kf differences - maybe its the wega engine vs bravia engine.

3LCDs cannot go beyond 1080i whereas SXRDs are 1080p
Old 24th October 2007, 00:18   #484
Senior - BHPian

I understand technology becomes obsolete quickly in this space, however please share your feedback on this...

Quote:
Current LCD TV Technology Set To Become Obsolete By David Richards | Sunday | 14/01/2007

By mid 2007 every LCD TV currently being sold will be old technology and vendors who get their new models to market first will benefit from the development of the new technology which was on show at the recent CES show. The overriding themes at CES has been the dramatic improvements in LCD panel technology with every major manufacturer introducing a 120Hz model, along with claimed improvements in contrast, colour reproduction, and noise reduction. Each of these innovations is striking, but when combined in one year they make for a dramatic change in the performance of LCD panels.

The 120Hz overscan virtually eliminates the motion blurring that occurred on 60Hz LCD models. In scenarios where the content is panning there is a dramatic benefit from having the additional frame generated. Colour reproduction has increased from 8 bit to anywhere from 10 bit to 14 bit. One of the key criticisms of LCD panels has been the reduced colour gamut that they could display.

Finally, improvements in handling noisy source content have completed the trifecta for most manufacturers. Where does this leave the millions of people out there who have purchased a flat panel LCD? The gradual improvements that occurred in tube technology meant that CRT televisions had a reasonable shelf life. With the rapid advances in LCD panels, much like the desktop industry, the panel you bought yesterday is rendered obsolete today.

For those people interested in acquiring a flat panel LCD, the technology announced at CES will be filtering into retail over the next six months however some vendors will be waiting till the second half of the year to launch their new range.
Source:Current LCD TV Technology Set To Become Obsolete - Smarthouse

Few specific questions: (not able to find these specs anywhere)
How many Hz overscan is present in current Samsung (32" & 37") & Sony 32"?
How many bit panel is there in Samsung 32"? (sony uses 8 bit till 32" and 10 bit above that)?
Old 24th October 2007, 12:32   #485
Senior - BHPian

The new Panasonic LCD (32") that i had written about earlier is 100Hz. Almost all other brands are 60Hz.

Whatever @ST has put in his post is what Panasonic claims.

Its priced 58K.
Old 24th October 2007, 13:36   #486
BHPian

The sony D300A and the X300A have the 100Hz tech.
Panasonic's new 70 series have it too.
So does Samsung on its new TVs.

Unfortunately it is not all its made out to be. A lot of reviews i read didnt have great things to say about the implementation of these technologies. They claimed it made stuff look slightly unnatural, apart from introducing certain artifacts. Most of them preferred the picture with these options off.
Old 24th October 2007, 14:38   #487
Senior - BHPian

Higher bit panels and noise reduction should only help. Higher refresh rates is becoming in-thing as it reduces flicker..

Quote:
Unfortunately it is not all its made out to be. A lot of reviews i read didnt have great things to say about the implementation of these technologies. They claimed it made stuff look slightly unnatural, apart from introducing certain artifacts. Most of them preferred the picture with these options off.
Can you post some links... I couldn't find any...

Last edited by ST7677 : 24th October 2007 at 14:40.
Old 24th October 2007, 16:20   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Higher refresh rates is becoming in-thing as it reduces flicker..
Flicker is not an issue in LCDs. Its only in CRTs.

Quote:
Can you post some links... I couldn't find any...

Samsung LE40F86BD Review: 40" 100Hz 1080p LCD TV Test
Sony KDL32D3000 Review – 32" Bravia 100Hz LCD TV Test
Panasonic TX32LXD700 Review – Viera 32" LCD TV Test
Old 24th October 2007, 16:30   #489
BHPian

i have never seen flickering on my 3lcd panel or my friends 2 yr old lcd panel !!
Old 24th October 2007, 17:04   #490
Senior - BHPian

You are Right, I meant motion jag effect.
I guess the 100hz technology would take some time to mature...

Thanks for the linkies
Old 24th October 2007, 17:12   #491
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You are Right, I meant motion jag effect.
I guess the 100hz technology would take some time to mature...

Thanks for the linkies

It's known as motion blur. It's pretty common in LCD's while watching action scenes. The main reason for this is the refresh rate. Currently teh industry standard is 8ms. the newer ones have 6ms response time.

The above link shows a new picture processor engine which will be available by mid 2008. This removes the halo effect as well as motion blur.
Old 24th October 2007, 18:23   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Not sure about kdf and kf differences - maybe its the wega engine vs bravia engine.

3LCDs cannot go beyond 1080i whereas SXRDs are 1080p
I checked the Sony World today and they have stopped stocking all projection panels, be it LCD or SXRD. May be the sales of Bravia LCD went down because of these projection panels? The only piece they had was a 70" SXRD (not on display), and the quote was 2.99L
Old 24th October 2007, 19:24   #493
BHPian

2.99 lacs is a deal as i think the original price was 3.2 lacs and that too was hitting the 32 lac 70" LCD panels from LG etc.

Its true and proven in multiple places that SXRD rear projection is much better technology than most LCDs and maybe Sony feels in a place like India where people would flock to buy the cheaper of the two (sans wall mounting) it is better to not stock rear projections. This is really sad news, people will end up buying either smaller screens or pay more for the screen size they desire due to this move

I guess the 9 odd people in my office and quite of my friends who picked up the 3lcd rp tvs are a lucky lot I have friends who picked up the 60" and 70" sxrds too !! and boy are they a happy lot

Last edited by jassi : 24th October 2007 at 19:25.
Old 25th October 2007, 15:38   #494
Senior - BHPian

I would prefer a front DLP projection over a rear projection!

For better viewing angles, compactness, bigger screen size...

Now I am getting tempted to buy a small 32" for watching standard def soaps and news, and a Front Ceiling mounted projector for a 70" DVD playback, what say?

Though I am very new to overhead projectors and not really sure about it's Pros and Cons.

Last edited by ST7677 : 25th October 2007 at 15:49.
Old 25th October 2007, 16:22   #495
BHPian

In terms of horizontal viewing angle the rear projection lcds are similar to lcds and also in terms of contrast ratio you can go upto 10,000:1 (cinema black pro)

The front projector available from sony india Sony India : VPL-AW15 (VPLAW15) : Details is also based on 3lcd technology (no sxrd yet) and is a pretty good solution if you have the time and effort to set up the projection screen, etc. Its not that expensive at 84k and also gives you full hd 1080p and contrast ratios of 12,000:1

So if you have that as an option, go for it

Most Viewed