Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2008, 18:58   #1876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
This is strange. The activation for me was done by the installer in few minutes after the installation. Also I bought the STB from a nearby shop in the evening and the installation was done the next day around 10AM.
I purchased my STB online to avail of their offer. Placed the oerder on 5th. The STB itself will reach me only in '3-5 WORKING days' - which is by next Wednesday. Then installation may take another day or two!

Ridiculously long IMHO - in today's day and age!!

And we are majorly
Old 7th November 2008, 19:01   #1877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
I purchased my STB online to avail of their offer. Placed the oerder on 5th. The STB itself will reach me only in '3-5 WORKING days' - which is by next Wednesday. Then installation may take another day or two!

Ridiculously long IMHO - in today's day and age!!

And we are majorly
Ok here is something to get back on topic.

I use the RCA cables that came with the Tata sky STB to connect to my sony bravia. Is there anyway i could get a better picture quality out of this by changing the cables. If so what cables should i get?

Also how are you guys managing the cable change, PC connection, etc after the TVs are wall mounted?
Old 7th November 2008, 19:11   #1878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post

I use the RCA cables that came with the Tata sky STB to connect to my sony bravia. Is there anyway i could get a better picture quality out of this by changing the cables. If so what cables should i get?

Also how are you guys managing the cable change, PC connection, etc after the TVs are wall mounted?
These two are exactly my questions now. I guess I hurriedly got my LCD wall mounted.

Again, I have another question. I have an Airtel STB and I connect to LCD through components. But if I have to connect to the Home Theater too, how should I do it? I need to be able to have the flexibility to choose between getting the TV to sound separately and also to route through to the HT.
Old 7th November 2008, 19:43   #1879
Senior - BHPian

Do you have an AV receiver along with your home theater? If so most of them have multiple video in's (both component and RCA). You could hook up your DTH to the Receiver.

How many audio outputs does your Airtel DTH box have? If its only one then you have a problem. A splitter would cause loss of quality.

My Hathway STB has just one video & audio out. So I plug it into the front panel of my PV80. If I have to connect it to my HT I just pull it out and connect it to the front panel of my AV receiver. I don't think there's any better alternative.
Old 7th November 2008, 19:47   #1880
Senior - BHPian

AV amps have a pass through function.( IIRC almost all amps have the pass through function!)

FOLKS: Need help - Does anyone have a check list of how exactly the Panny PV80 should be run in?? (the first 100/200 hrs)
Old 7th November 2008, 20:16   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
AV amps have a pass through function.( IIRC almost all amps have the pass through function!)

FOLKS: Need help - Does anyone have a check list of how exactly the Panny PV80 should be run in?? (the first 100/200 hrs)
As per the panasonic representative who came to my house for installation, it should be in cinema mode for the first 100 hours.
Old 7th November 2008, 20:17   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
..Again, I have another question. I have an Airtel STB and I connect to LCD through components..
I guess Airtel STB does not have a component out. It only has a RCA/composite out. How are you connecting it to your LCD then. I also have airtel STB.
Old 8th November 2008, 00:17   #1883
Senior - BHPian

HELP

I have connected my Philips DVP5986k to my PV80 via both component and HDMI.

While I get video I am unable to get sound on HDMI!

Last edited by kb100 : 8th November 2008 at 00:19.
Old 8th November 2008, 12:38   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Anyone could suggest the best deal on a 42 inch LCD for home use in bangalore ? I checked samsung and LG models in bigbazar, they claim to give the lowest and best deal in the whole of Bangalore, I dont know how true it is. Suggestions welcome. I was planning to take it for the Diwali time, but was on travel and could not make it. Someone is suggesting a wait till New Year so that we get lot of good discount deals. Friends, please put your comments. I dont want to consider any other brand than samsung and LG.

Also, should it be wall mounted or put on the stand ? If the plug panels appear on the back, wall mounting would be a pain as I understand. Or is there any method to put it on the wall with easy removal option whenever required ?

Last edited by shajufx : 8th November 2008 at 12:40.
Old 8th November 2008, 22:00   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Anyone could suggest the best deal on a 42 inch LCD for home use in bangalore ? I checked samsung and LG models in bigbazar, they claim to give the lowest and best deal in the whole of Bangalore, I dont know how true it is. Suggestions welcome. I was planning to take it for the Diwali time, but was on travel and could not make it. Someone is suggesting a wait till New Year so that we get lot of good discount deals. Friends, please put your comments. I dont want to consider any other brand than samsung and LG.

Also, should it be wall mounted or put on the stand ? If the plug panels appear on the back, wall mounting would be a pain as I understand. Or is there any method to put it on the wall with easy removal option whenever required ?
Mate, the last 4-5 pages are only info on the best 42 inch deal in bangalore. Just read it and you would know. The crux, the best tv is Panasonic PV80 priced 56.5k bought at Devi and best VFM is Panasonic PV8 priced at 50K again at Devi.

PS: We are going for Plasma than LCD.

Read the thread for more details.

Last edited by madbullram : 8th November 2008 at 22:05.
Old 9th November 2008, 07:55   #1886

It is 56K at Devi for PV80D

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Mate, the last 4-5 pages are only info on the best 42 inch deal in bangalore. Just read it and you would know. The crux, the best tv is Panasonic PV80 priced 56.5k bought at Devi and best VFM is Panasonic PV8 priced at 50K again at Devi.

PS: We are going for Plasma than LCD.

Read the thread for more details.
Old 9th November 2008, 22:11   #1887
BHPian

Guys,

Help me to make a decision to buy an LCD TV. Its the 32 incher I am after.

I am constrained by a budget of Rs.30K. I have shortlisted following models. Which one do you think should I go for?

1. Videocon Integra 32 : This is perhaps the most boring LCD set out there. Nothing to write home about. I could negotiate it to around Rs.25K having a surplus 5K for a nice DVD set.

2. Philips TA2800 : This had a nice picture quality. But this model is officially discontinued. Stockists and retailers are trying to get rid of them as fast as they could. Best price quoted is Rs.29.5K

3. Panasonic LE8C : Panel made in Japan, 10K contrast ratio. Good looks. Actual picture quality was not that impressvie. Primitive menus. Lacks some basic features which Videocon provides. Quoted best price Rs.30K.

4. Samsung 4 series (Greay market) : My heart goes for this. Price after hard bargain is Rs.32K (slightly over-budget). But I don't have stomach to throw money at it as it does not have warranty, installation support etc.

I am torn and confused. Let me hear your opinion.
Old 10th November 2008, 09:45   #1888
Senior - BHPian

^^You'll get the older gen 42" PV7 plasma if you can find it for around 30k.
Old 10th November 2008, 11:39   #1889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^You'll get the older gen 42" PV7 plasma if you can find it for around 30k.
That cheap?? Are you sure?

On another note, to the PV80 users: What is the viewing distance for you, i.e, distance between the screen and where you sit? There are various recommendations for the ideal screen size-viewing distance ratio, but I would like to get some first hand feedback.
I am keen on getting a PV80... the best deal I could find was 58k with a cheap DVD player thrown in. Am trying to get the guy to upgrade that to an HD-upscaling DVD player. Does this deal sound good?
Old 10th November 2008, 11:55   #1890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The latest AV receivers have video processing built in. The reviews say that the video processing technologies like the "Faroudja DCDi Video Processing" etc are very effective upscaling regular SD video to full HD 1080p

I am looking at this option

Here is a brilliant explanation.. the white paper itself!

Genesis Microchip Inc.
I think Toshiba is building this tech right into their HD TVs. The one based on the cell processor had won rave reviews last year.

Last edited by srishiva : 10th November 2008 at 11:57.

Most Viewed