Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2011, 22:48   #4441
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

For those who are from Bangalore - To get a better deal, just drive down to Hosur. You will get very good deal compared to Bangalore price.
recently I bought one LG 32" LE5500 LED TV. The price difference was ~ 4000 compared to the best offer from Bangalore. Also I bought a Home Theater with a price reduction of ~2500. May be because of tax difference in TN.
Old 23rd February 2011, 23:35   #4442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Please provide source of this article.
This was found on CNET Reviews but came on several other review websites simultaneously. here is the link:

LED TVs compared: Local dimming, edge-lit, and full array - CNET Reviews
Old 24th February 2011, 10:04   #4443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
This was found on CNET Reviews but came on several other review websites simultaneously. here is the link:

LED TVs compared: Local dimming, edge-lit, and full array - CNET Reviews
Here is another one from The Hindu
The Hindu : Metro Plus Madurai / Wired In : Buying a new television set?

Quoting from the article.

'Most TVs sold in the market as LED TVs are only LCD TVs that are backlit by Light-Emitting Diodes. LG claims to have the only true Full LED TV (costs about Rs. 1 lakh) and salesmen will demonstrate how the image never changes colour or shade no matter what angle you view it from compared to the ever changing shade of LCD TVs as you walk to view it from a different angle. But here's a question: How many of us walk around watching TV?'
Old 24th February 2011, 10:15   #4444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post

'Most TVs sold in the market as LED TVs are only LCD TVs that are backlit by Light-Emitting Diodes. LG claims to have the only true Full LED TV (costs about Rs. 1 lakh) and salesmen will demonstrate how the image never changes colour or shade no matter what angle you view it from compared to the ever changing shade of LCD TVs as you walk to view it from a different angle. But here's a question: How many of us walk around watching TV?'
LG's claim of Full LED TV is just plain hogwash.Its simply not possible currently to have complete TV made of only LED's and that to for only a Lakh.

They are just Full Array LED's which are used for backlighting a normal LCD TV.
Old 24th February 2011, 11:24   #4445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
For those who are from Bangalore - To get a better deal, just drive down to Hosur. You will get very good deal compared to Bangalore price.
recently I bought one LG 32" LE5500 LED TV. The price difference was ~ 4000 compared to the best offer from Bangalore. Also I bought a Home Theater with a price reduction of ~2500. May be because of tax difference in TN.
That's great saving.

But, will they do free home delivery? It would be hassle to transport a big home appliance to Bangalore. Also, the transport cost will nullify the saving.
Old 24th February 2011, 20:32   #4446
BHPian

Has anyone tried connecting their LCD, LED or Plasma to the internet. I could not find a direct Lan socket, however I know its possible to connect to a wifi network, but how? I have a Sony 32" EX500.

Sony has a wifi adapter (Wireless LAN Accessories : TV & Projector Accessories : Sony India) which costs Rs.4700/-. TV does not recognize my Linksys wifi adapter. Is there an alternative? How are Samsungs, LGs, etc. being connected?

MaSh
Old 24th February 2011, 21:46   #4447
Senior - BHPian

If LAN port is not available, there are only two options:

1. Buy WiFi adapter from Sony
2. Buy A Blu ray player that has net connectivity + media player in addition to blu ray. This would enable net on any TV. Cost 12k
Old 24th February 2011, 22:35   #4448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
If LAN port is not available, there are only two options:

1. Buy WiFi adapter from Sony
2. Buy A Blu ray player that has net connectivity + media player in addition to blu ray. This would enable net on any TV. Cost 12k
Hmmm both not very financially viable. In that case, I would prefer carrying on with my current setup. Connect a wifi enabled Laptop to LCD via HDMI. Connect a wireless keyboard with trackpad to the laptop and browse the net.

Any reason why the Sony wifi adapter is priced so high?

MaSh
Old 24th February 2011, 22:36   #4449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
That's great saving.
But, will they do free home delivery? It would be hassle to transport a big home appliance to Bangalore. Also, the transport cost will nullify the saving.
It is okay if you have your own vehicle.
It is 30km to the shop from my home. I transported it in my car. So the transportation cost is ~ Rs.240(to and fro considering Rs.4per km petrol cost). Still it is worth because the price difference was ~4000 on TV and 2500 on home theater. So I could save Rs.6260 after reducing the transportation cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Has anyone tried connecting their LCD, LED or Plasma to the internet. I could not find a direct Lan socket, however I know its possible to connect to a wifi network, but how? I have a Sony 32" EX500.
Sony has a wifi adapter (Wireless LAN Accessories : TV & Projector Accessories : Sony India) which costs Rs.4700/-. TV does not recognize my Linksys wifi adapter. Is there an alternative? How are Samsungs, LGs, etc. being connected?
MaSh
I am using USB wi-fi adaptor with my LG 32LE5500 LED TV.
It connects easily with my home wi-fi router. I am using it mainly for youtube videos. Apart from youtube, LG TV has got google maps, facebook, twitter, picasa, accuweather, viewster, mlb.tv, vtuner, accedo, aljazeera in the NetCast menu. The connection procedure is only first time setting of Ip address and password entry, later on it connects very easily.

Another feature available with wi-fi adaptor is DLNA. We can access the computer HDD folder (folders shared using "Nero media home" software) wirelessly using the TV.

I got it thru ebay.in (global easy buy) for Rs.2900.
LG AN-WF100 TV Accessories - Wi-Fi Dongle - LG Electronics Australia
After getting this I increased my broadband speed to 2mbps for getting uninterrupted streaming videos.

IMHO Sony EX500 does not support DLNA and wireless internet/streaming video. (please check your user manual and confirm)
Sony models like EX710 supports this wi-fi adapter.
Check for "wireless-lan ready" and "DLNA" feature in your TV specifications. The adapter works only with the supported models. Even we cannot use the Sony wi-fi dongle in Samsung or LG or vice-versa.
Old 25th February 2011, 09:58   #4450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how much did you pay for the LED tv?
how is the sound quality
Old 25th February 2011, 10:48   #4451
BHPian

I bought yesterday Samsung series 4, 32 inches for 23000/- from the grey market.
Old 25th February 2011, 11:01   #4452
BHPian

Quote:
Where in Hosur did you buy the TV? I am looking to buy one shortly. Please share the details of the place/ shop. Hope there is no problem with the warranty!
Old 25th February 2011, 13:25   #4453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneet View Post
I bought yesterday Samsung series 4, 32 inches for 23000/- from the grey market.
Kindly tell the place from where you got it and model number also.
Old 25th February 2011, 14:21   #4454
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO Sony EX500 does not support DLNA and wireless internet/streaming video. (please check your user manual and confirm)
Sony models like EX710 supports this wi-fi adapter.
Check for "wireless-lan ready" and "DLNA" feature in your TV specifications. The adapter works only with the supported models. Even we cannot use the Sony wi-fi dongle in Samsung or LG or vice-versa.
I guess you are correct, EX500 does not support this device. Another thing to be considered while buying an LCD. This never struck me when I was looking for an LCD.

Compatible Sony products: UWA-BR100 | Wireless Adapter | Sony | Sony Style USA

MaSh
Old 25th February 2011, 17:23   #4455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Kindly tell the place from where you got it and model number also.
I have bought this from Gaffar Market.
Model No. is la32c450e1

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks