Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2011, 14:45   #4381
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Guys, I need a 32" LCD fast, and cheap.
I think the cheapest non-grey market option might be the Sony BX300 after bargaining, say Rs 25000 (estimation). Do you think I'll be able to get one for cheaper? About cheaper models from Panasonic, Philips Toshiba etc., how reliable are they? Which one is the most reliable with the longest warranty.

The thing is, my parents will be buying a Bigger TV after probably an year, but I need a decent, at least 32" LCD for now. As I'm a student and don't earn, I'm also contemplating -
1) Buying old stock. Could someone please tell me where I could get old stock/models?
2) Buying used. How much would it cost and where could I get one?
Old 1st February 2011, 15:20   #4382
Senior - BHPian

raihan: EEEEEWWW.. I paid 10K more @?!$%#. Now you are making me jealous. Had NOT read your earlier posts so didn't knew that you had already bought the LCD.
I also got Airtel digital tv with HD channels FREE for 3 months with it. This scheme was included for the upcoming WORLD CUP & our own IPL.
Though I have dishtv from last 4 years, but will now get chance to compare the services. Then will keep the better one of both.
But seems you still got a SWEETER deal than me. 10K saved is 10K earned.

scooby05: The new generation LCD do not have limted viewing nagle. Atleast not the ones I checked at various showrooms. Plasma lacks in backlight & thus the darker pictures become little too dark. You have to adjust higher rate of contrast & colors for clearer picture. LED's are way too "THIN" (& expensive as yet) but IMHO do not offer anything much better than LCD's except their Kareena Kapoor type, size ZERO.
If I'm not wrong then LED's dont come any siz above 40" & that can also set you back by 80K.
My general preception is that cost of LED TV is almost twice the screen size or about closer.
Samsung's are more expensive & the SONY 3D cross all budget limits, atleast for us, middle class people.

..& CONGRATS for your new house.

naj: Buying from net, you may get the showroom piece that has already run for 9 hours a day for god knows how many days.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 1st February 2011 at 15:31.
Old 1st February 2011, 15:21   #4383
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
What would a 55" LED cost! and is it worth it?
Isnt a Plasma good with contrast and speed of image?
Since you have mentioned well lit room, a plasma wont be suitable, if you have a dark room, u can go for the plasma.
Old 1st February 2011, 15:26   #4384
naj
BHPian

Hi!

I was browsing Plasma/LCD deals on the Future bazaar/E-zone website .
can any one please advice if it is safe to buy from them. Is there a possibility of getting a damaged piece.
Because some of the deals are awesome.

Please advice.

Cheers,
Naj
Old 1st February 2011, 15:38   #4385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi!

can any one please advice if it is safe to buy from them. Is there a possibility of getting a damaged piece.

Please advice.

Cheers,
Naj
Hi Naj, I have bought extensively from Ezoneonline and Futurebazaar. You can shop without fear. Also, there is a detailed section on 15 Days Return Policy. Do go through that and you will be rest assured.
Quoting from the website policy: "In the unlikely event that any product you have ordered from us is not received in good condition, is damaged or defective, or if product delivered is different from what you had ordered, you may return the product unused, and in the same condition as you received it, in its original packaging along with original tags, for a refund or an exchange, within 15 days from the date on which these goods are delivered.
  • Please do not accept delivery of any item whose outer packaging is damaged or tampered with in any manner. Please contact customer care if you open the packaging and discover that the item is damaged.
  • Products damaged while being used do not qualify for a refund or replacement.
  • In case we are unable to replace the damaged / defective product, we will refund your amount.
  • In the event you return any product which is delivered to you in damaged/defective condition, we will also refund the shipping charges applicable to that item."
Happy Shopping!
Old 1st February 2011, 18:52   #4386
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Friends, I need to buy the following:-
one each of 55", 42", 32" for my new house.
Usage is not too much. 55 or 60" is for my living room to be used max 3 hours a day for 250 days a year, and the other 2 are for the bedrooms to be used maybe 2 hours a day for 200 days a year.
the rooms are all well lit, I am inclined for a plasma for the big one and open for a LED or LCD for the other 2.
Please let me know the best options. Please dont ask me technical questions as I am not well aversed with electronics.
Would surely want a HT with the big screen.
Distances in the bedrooms are 10ft away and in the living room is 15/18 ft away from the screens.
I keep forgeting the real difference between the plasma/LED/LCD except I have been using the Plasma very Happily and am not happy with the lcd in my bedroom because of the limited viewing angle.
Well I was in a very similar dilemma. And needed one big plasma for the HT room and 2 other tvs for other bedrooms. Now for the HT room we have decided on a HD projector. Though im not sure that will make sense for your living room.

Im going to suggest a 58" plasma from Samsung, that is the best VFM. It will cost you about 1.5l. Of course you could also get a 60" but then your costs would go up significantly.

I dont think LED makes sense unless you want something very flashy looking, since they are extra thin. But for the rooms normal LCDs might make sense, or even a plasma for the 40" one. As long as its from a reputed brand like Sony, Samsung or Panasonic you cant go wrong.
Old 1st February 2011, 19:15   #4387
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post

Comparing micro SD cards and televisions is like comparing 42 tonner multi axle trucks with a unicycle. ;-D

But I got one (the SD card, that is) for my mobile phone last week, and the purchase experience was good. Ordered on 23rd, (Sunday) and got it on 27th, January. 26th was a holiday.

Dunno how they will manage bulky items like TVs.
Old 1st February 2011, 20:22   #4388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
LED's are way too "THIN" (& expensive as yet) but IMHO do not offer anything much better than LCD's except their Kareena Kapoor type, size ZERO.
I too was of the same opinion till few weeks back. Then, we decided to upgrade from our current TV and we were trying to decide between LCD/LED/Plasma. We finally shortlisted Samsung 7series.

There are actually quite a few differences in LEDs and LCDs, the most obvious one being the blacks are much "blacker". Found this when i compared LCD and LED TVs side by side. And the picture movement is much smoother in LEDs than LCDs. But these are just my observations and can vary from person to person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
If I'm not wrong then LED's dont come any siz above 40"
Actually they do. 55" is the largest you can get in LEDs.

-Pallavi
Old 1st February 2011, 20:48   #4389

Visited few places in Hyd today with my 1TB External HDD in hand. Tried in Samsung C630 as well as Samsung C630. It Worked flawlessly. I played avi & mkv files ... and it played all without any hitch. Now I have finalised on Samsung 32C630.

Best price i have got so far is 34.5K with Dish TV HD free from Bajaj Electronics.

Anybody pls inform if further reduction is possible. If So...where?
Old 1st February 2011, 20:58   #4390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
There are actually quite a few differences in LEDs and LCDs,

1) the most obvious one being the blacks are much "blacker".

2) And the picture movement is much smoother in LEDs than LCDs.
While #1 might be possible because of better light control in LED's (in case of local dimming LED backlights), #2 is not possible since LED's don't contribute to how motion is reproduced on the screen. After all the so-called LED panels available here are nothing but good old LCD panels with an array or string of white LED's doing the backlight instead of CCFL lamps (in normal LCD's). You must have seen the motion to be better on the so-called LED TV due to a better LCD panel being used in the "LED TV" or better motion control algorithm in the video processor.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 1st February 2011 at 20:59.
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:03   #4391
Senior - BHPian

Any one with calibration settings for Samsung 5 series LED? I have searched the net and tried a few but none of the settings are to my taste and I do not have time to go trial and error, so if you have working settings (for picture) kindly help!
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:37   #4392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
While #1 might be possible because of better light control in LED's (in case of local dimming LED backlights), #2 is not possible since LED's don't contribute to how motion is reproduced on the screen. After all the so-called LED panels available here are nothing but good old LCD panels with an array or string of white LED's doing the backlight instead of CCFL lamps (in normal LCD's). You must have seen the motion to be better on the so-called LED TV due to a better LCD panel being used in the "LED TV" or better motion control algorithm in the video processor.
I agree with the better motion control algorithm in the video processor of LED TVs. I was looking at Samsung 7 series LED TV. The motionis much smoother than any of the LCD TVs displayed in the showroom, Sony included.

-Pallavi
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:10   #4393
naj
BHPian

Thanks @mandheers for your valuable inputs regarding Shopping with E-zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Comparing micro SD cards and televisions is like comparing 42 tonner multi axle trucks with a unicycle. ;-D

But I got one (the SD card, that is) for my mobile phone last week, and the purchase experience was good. Ordered on 23rd, (Sunday) and got it on 27th, January. 26th was a holiday.

Dunno how they will manage bulky items like TVs.
+1
In fact I was worried about the same. Though they have a very good/well informed customer care as apparent from my query to them regarding the same.I think I will wait for a good deal and try with E-zone.I missed the one for the Pana 42V20 at 57.5k.

cheers,
naj

Last edited by naj : 3rd February 2011 at 22:11.
Old 7th February 2011, 12:53   #4394

Bought Samsung LCD 32C630 this weekend. Service engr came alongwith wall-mount the next day to install the same. .FLV files were not playing initially. So downloaded the firmware from samsung india site and upgraded. With that its playing .flv too. I asked the service guy do i have to worry about burn-in. He said these new age LCD doesnot have such problem.

I must say i am happy with the purchase. Though waiting for the free dishTV HD to arrive. Hope they install it before world cup.
Old 7th February 2011, 13:30   #4395
Senior - BHPian

@ smilyinblue Congrats for the purchase!

By the way , did you try to play a MOV file after FW update?

Cheers!

Vinu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks