Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 07:28   #5941
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
I have been offered a P42ST30D with 2 X 3D Glasses for 60,000
How does this sound ?
Styler
Exactly the deal I got back in March, I think you can bargain for at least another 5K (actually I also saw a 55K offer mentioned here in one of the earlier posts).
(The P42U30D was not available in Bangalore back in March too).
Old 4th September 2012, 10:49   #5942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
If picture quality comes first, you should be going plasma ( the Panasonic Plasmas with infinte blacks ). Power consumption is its disadvantage. It will consume around 3 times the power a similar sized LED TV will consume.
I am perfectly happy with the picture quality that LED TVs produce. Sony and Samsung panels are providing rich colors that suit my taste.

But i am not so well educated about other facts about LED, edge LED, series 5, series 7 etc etc. there are so many flavors in LED TVs that confuses me.

Also i am confused about need for extra USB ports HDMI etc. i have seen Sony EX series at my friends place having 4 USB ports but it refuses to detect second USB device !!

I really liked review of Samsung EH series EH5000 really cheap and picture quality looks good except for say only 1 USB and 2 HDMI. Does it matter?

I have tried 3D TVs and i am not comfortable wearing glasses(heck, except LG, other guys come with glasses that need charging). Even if the 3D of the future comes glass free.. it will still strain eyes in the long run i guess.

Instead what i am looking for is feature packed TV(so called smart TV) built in wifi, apps etc. so that i need not pull a wire for LAN(i did not plan LAN cable where i keep my TV)

Last edited by rajshenoy : 4th September 2012 at 11:02.
Old 4th September 2012, 11:36   #5943
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...riana-figueiro

Backlit displays cause sleep problems - though the article mentions Phones and tablets, LED TVs are also backlit displays, right?
Old 4th September 2012, 15:30   #5944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy
http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...riana-figueiro

Backlit displays cause sleep problems - though the article mentions Phones and tablets, LED TVs are also backlit displays, right?
Seems true. I have first hand experienced it. Whenever I sit at night before PC for couple of hours, I do not get sleep immediately and stay awake for some time. Even my brother in law who is studying also says the same. My wife also discourages me from using PC at night for same reason.
Also LEDs are extra bright and may not be good for children in long run, thats just my assumption. Lets wait for some research on this also if not done already. I may consider plasma when I go for flat panel in near future.
Old 4th September 2012, 15:43   #5945
Senior - BHPian

Even good old LCD TVs are back-lit. And yes, ALL TVs, CRT TVs inclusive, produce light.

But ... are we discussing TVs here or causes of insomnia? Stick to the thread topic, guys, this is going severely OT.
Old 5th September 2012, 05:23   #5946
Senior - BHPian

Bought a Panasonic 42XT50D for Rs. 44,500/-

Reasons for choosing the model
  • Most importantly, it's a Plasma and it's a Panasonic Japanese Panel ( Advantages of the Plasma mentioned on my previous post )
  • 42" and 8 feet viewing distance ==> HD ready more than enough
  • 3D real surround sound ( with the new 8 train speaker setup of panasonic ), optical out and Active 3D as additional features compared to 42X50D ( which costs Rs. 38,000/- )
  • The fact that it's HD ready means power consumption is in the range of LCDs ( 215W ) and I normally watch the TV at < 50% brightness. So, the consumption should be in the range of 150W
  • Economical
  • Last, but not the least 3 year Panasonic warranty = peace of mind
This is the 3rd panasonic Plasma in our family ( the other 2 are 42X30D ). The only reason why I'm not going for the Infinite black pro models is because there is no HD ready option available for it.
Full HD Plasma = Waste of energy for no apparent benefit for 8 feet viewing distance on a 42" TV

Also bought

Yamaha Home theater YHT-296 ( Rs. 30,000/- ) &
Panasonic Blu-ray player with 3D, inbuilt wifi, skype camera support and youtube support ( Rs. 11,000/- )

to add to the home theater experience.

On my wish list are

1) Airtel HD DTH
2) A 3rd party skype camera for my panasonic Blu-ray ( The original panasonic ones cost 11,000 MRP and the lowest price the dealer is offering me is Rs. 8.500/- which is still costly. )

Will give a short review on the performance in a week or so.

Last edited by amalji : 5th September 2012 at 05:28.
Old 7th September 2012, 16:10   #5947
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone still interested in the Panasonic group buy?

I need 2 65ST50s and 2 42ST50s.

I am getting these for 228 and 80 respectively. Hoping to add some more and get a better price if possible.
Old 7th September 2012, 16:58   #5948
Senior - BHPian

Oops, sorry for back to back posts, and slight OT

I am also looking to get about 3-4 Onkyo Ht-S3500s. If anyone wants to buy any maybe we can get a better price. Current price is 26k
Old 7th September 2012, 17:32   #5949
Senior - BHPian

Another requirement:

Budget: 40K +/- 10%
Usage: Mainly for watching soaps, reality shows and sports
Viewing distance - 6-10 ft
Screen Size - Above 40"
Type - LCD/LED/PLASMA
Power Consumption - Low
Should be easy to use
Basic features with decent sound

Any suggestions
Old 8th September 2012, 09:04   #5950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh
Another requirement:

Budget: 40K +/- 10%
Usage: Mainly for watching soaps, reality shows and sports
Viewing distance - 6-10 ft
Screen Size - Above 40"
Type - LCD/LED/PLASMA
Power Consumption - Low
Should be easy to use
Basic features with decent sound

Any suggestions
If you can up the power consumption requirement to moderate, plasma is the best for fast motion scenes as in the case of sports. It's easy on the eyes as well.

Panasonic 42xt50 will perfectly suit your requirement and it will cost you 42 to 45. It's also equipped with 3d. Power consumption will be 10 to 15 percent higher than an LCD and 100 percent higher than an led. It's equipped with a Japanese panel . Panasonic plasmas are probably the only televisions that come with a 3 year warranty.
Old 8th September 2012, 10:20   #5951
BHPian

^^ the power consumption of an Plasma to an LED as i understand is 3 times. So yea plasma users can expect a spike in their bills during the T20 world cup
Old 8th September 2012, 10:39   #5952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l
^^ the power consumption of an Plasma to an LED as i understand is 3 times. So yea plasma users can expect a spike in their bills during the T20 world cup
Incorrect if you buy hd ready models. Panasonic 42" plasmas without 3d consumes just 200 watts. With 3d, it consumes 215watts. Typically, you watch a TV with 40 to 50 percent brightness. So, the actual power consumed should be in the range of 150 watts . For led, the best power rating is 99 watts . So 42 inch. plasmas consumes double the power of an led. Full HD makes absolutely 0 difference in perceived quality on a 42 inch tv , if you watch the TV from a distance of 6feet or more . Full hd for such small TV is a marketing gimmick more than anything.
Old 8th September 2012, 11:29   #5953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l
Samsung hd ready plasmas consume around 115 v for 43" screen.
Old 10th September 2012, 01:11   #5954

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Bought a Panasonic 42XT50D for Rs. 44,500/-

Reasons for choosing the model
  • Most importantly, it's a Plasma and it's a Panasonic Japanese Panel ( Advantages of the Plasma mentioned on my previous post )
  • 42" and 8 feet viewing distance ==> HD ready more than enough
  • 3D real surround sound ( with the new 8 train speaker setup of panasonic ), optical out and Active 3D as additional features compared to 42X50D ( which costs Rs. 38,000/- )
  • The fact that it's HD ready means power consumption is in the range of LCDs ( 215W ) and I normally watch the TV at < 50% brightness. So, the consumption should be in the range of 150W
  • Economical
  • Last, but not the least 3 year Panasonic warranty = peace of mind
This is the 3rd panasonic Plasma in our family ( the other 2 are 42X30D ). The only reason why I'm not going for the Infinite black pro models is because there is no HD ready option available for it.
Full HD Plasma = Waste of energy for no apparent benefit for 8 feet viewing distance on a 42" TV

Also bought

Yamaha Home theater YHT-296 ( Rs. 30,000/- ) &
Panasonic Blu-ray player with 3D, inbuilt wifi, skype camera support and Youtube support ( Rs. 11,000/- )

to add to the home theater experience.

On my wish list are

1) Airtel HD DTH
2) A 3rd party skype camera for my panasonic Blu-ray ( The original panasonic ones cost 11,000 MRP and the lowest price the dealer is offering me is Rs. 8.500/- which is still costly. )

Will give a short review on the performance in a week or so.
Hi Amalji,

I'm with you on this. I too bought P42XT50D on 31-Aug for which Panasonic gave me a home theater free. All for 45000 INR, Bangalore price.

I have opted for Airtel HD and belive me, the HD experience is simply amazing. Ever since the installation of the DTH, I have never watched any other channel other than the 15 HD channels that Airtel offers.

For anyone looking in the 40-50k range, P42XT50D should be ideal. And yeah, Plasma REALLY has the best picture quality.

Python
Old 10th September 2012, 12:05   #5955
BHPian

Hello all, I'm in the process of buying a new tv. Upgrading to a 50 incher monster this time.
I happen to be a big fan of plasmas, so LED's are a no go!
Only requirements are for it to be a Full HD.
Currently I'm looking at the LG 50PM6700 and the Panasonic TH-P50XT50, both of which are Full HD plasmas. Any feedback in regards to the above mentioned models will be of great help.
If there are any other tvs that I can check out, I'd like to know that too.
Need some help here. Thanks guys!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks