Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 11:47   #5866
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

This thread should be renamed as "Buying a Panasonic Plasma Flat Panel Display"
On a separate note , wish all this interest in Panasonic plasmas helps it in getting over the terrible period the once upon a time invincible Japanese behemoths are going through & it's also single handedly kept the interest in plasma technology alive. It's always nice to have a parallel competing technology which makes the others pull up their pants like the way LEDs & LCDs have seen major improvements in their picture quality.
Old 14th August 2012, 12:09   #5867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Then it is my mistake. I apologise for the error.

The Sony showroom guy told me that there is no browser, so I assumed the same.

I have not seen a browser on my Panasonic. If I am missing something, somebody enlighten me.
Its been a while, that I hadn't kept my promise of showing pics of Browsing Internet on my Sony Bravia TV. Pics uploaded
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-013.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-014.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-015.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-017.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-019.jpg  

Old 14th August 2012, 12:21   #5868
BHPian

Whats the best price of a panasonic ut50 42 incher?
Old 14th August 2012, 13:20   #5869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Should be, considering that it is just 1 step less than the ST50 model many of us are after. If you are not so worried about price, you should check out the 42GT50, which is 1 step better.
As compared to the ST50, the UT50
- Has the same basic panel, but slightly lesser native contrast (4mil:1 <> 5.5mil:1) and no Infinite Black Pro filter panel
- No built-in wi-fi (big deal, it has a RJ45 for LAN, and USB for Wifi dongle)
- Has 2 HDMI inputs v/s 3 (unlike Samsung and LG, Panasonic as HDMI ARC)
- Has no 3D goggles in the box (please check, that's what the specs say) - though one can use any brand 3D goggles with it, not just Pana
budget was the biggest constraint...didnt want to spend 40+ for full hd plasma.
flipkart's listed price is ~41k. and local dealers should be selling for little less.
Old 14th August 2012, 14:22   #5870
BHPian

[quote=infotech58;2869654]there is not much 3D content available and IMHO it does not make sense to go for one at this time.

Thats the same thing which went through my Mind.But then my friend has a collection some 100 movies which has been converted to 3D in his Laptop(haven't watched it yet myself with the 3D though as he himself does not have a 3D Tv).

Can some body throw some light on the difference/Clarity between converted 2D to 3D movies and the Original 3D discs available in the store.

If we get the actual 3D effect with those converted movies i might go for the 3D Plasma otherwise will drop the idea as Original 3D movies are very expensive and i wont be buying those at least now for their price (Not a Big fan of 3D)
Old 15th August 2012, 09:49   #5871
BHPian

Interesting quote there Chetan. I was about to pick up the 42UT30D today from the brandshop. Their quotes are ~60K INR-which i feel is unreasonable

I have been trying the online option. What do Gurus suggest-is it safe and are there reputed dealers I can look at? I did try the infibeams, naaptols but looks like stock out everywhere.

Looking at all these data-points, I feel its best to wait and watch.

Best,
Projjal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
budget was the biggest constraint...didnt want to spend 40+ for full hd plasma.
flipkart's listed price is ~41k. and local dealers should be selling for little less.
Old 15th August 2012, 10:12   #5872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim
Interesting quote there Chetan. I was about to pick up the 42UT30D today from the brandshop. Their quotes are ~60K INR-which i feel is unreasonable

I have been trying the online option. What do Gurus suggest-is it safe and are there reputed dealers I can look at? I did try the infibeams, naaptols but looks like stock out everywhere.

Looking at all these data-points, I feel its best to wait and watch.

Best,
Projjal
A ST30 42" is available for 56-58K in a Delhi brandshop.
Old 15th August 2012, 12:00   #5873
BHPian

Thanks M5_fan. Could someone comment on the best price for the following in Chennai (Quotes that I received)

1. 42UT30D (62000): Source Brandshop
2. 42UT50D (65000): Source online retail
3. 42ST30D (70000): Source Brandshop

Please do let me know if the prices seems to in line with what others are receiving. Assuming the prices are indicative which option do you recommend

Thanks & Best,
Projjal

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Old 15th August 2012, 12:38   #5874
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
If this group buy is one, may be i am interested in the 50ST50. I am torn between this and Samsung E550. 25K savings over the Panasonic and has every other feature the Panasonic has.
Is is group buy driver over ?.. If not, I am also interested in 50ST50 or 42ST50
Old 15th August 2012, 13:23   #5875
Senior - BHPian

Hi could you share the name/location of this brand shop, I am interested in the offered model. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Old 15th August 2012, 13:47   #5876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj
Hi could you share the name/location of this brand shop, I am interested in the offered model. Thanks
Its the panasonic store in central market. They are closed today, will reopen tomorrow. The chap's name there is Vipin. Their listed best price is 60K but you can negotiate as hard as you want as they have been ordered by a panasonic official to dispose off these 3 sets as it is affecting the 2012 models. But there is no home theater bundled with this deal.

Alternatively you can buy the 42ut50 for around 61K with a bundled home theater.

PQ wise i found the ut50 (2012) to be better than st30 (2011) in a dark room. While in a brightly lit room, my opinion was reversed.

Last edited by M5_fan : 15th August 2012 at 13:51.
Old 15th August 2012, 17:03   #5877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Arrey.. another 10k odd (maybe less) can get you 50ST30..!
Old 15th August 2012, 23:07   #5878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH6 View Post
Last quote recvd for 42ST50 - 78K with HT in Mumbai. Should I take the plunge now.
looks like a good price, kindly share the dealer's details.

today afternoon I had visited HyperCity at Ghodbunder Road (Thane) and did some brief survey, but dont remember the models. On of the 50" LG Plasma was looking good, around 80K, but the 3D glasses were just put for charging and so gave-up. Ofcourse, I had been there for some other shopping.

By evening, I went ahead on that road and entered Vijay Sales, but couldnt locate 42ST50 model. Sony sets were quite brilliant, kinda stands out in the row, and the colors were very vibrant, maybe bit over saturated & unnatural. I spoke to a salesman on plasma, and he said that if 6-8 hours of constant image/logo is put on screen then it may burn the pixels.

On the other side of road was Kohinoor, where lots of Panasonic were on display. 42ST50 was on display, best prices mentioned as 94.5 (dont remember the HT offer on it). Had read a lot good for Pana plasma on this thread, but I was quite disappointed at the actual set. The display was quite dull ! Im still ok to have another look at this model to see it actually perform, but at the same time I cant put such money on a TV.

Also, saw the Pana LED TH-L42ET5D at best price of 75900 and when asked, salesman denied the HT offer on this. The person also mentioned that in such 3rd gen plasma, burning is not an issue anymore. This is a passive 3D, glasses costing ~400 bucks. Did demo the 3D and was quite good.

Overall, one observation in today's visits: these people didnt speak much on LG brand, but replied when explicitly asked for. I suppose LG also makes so decent sets, including the Cinema3D stuff.

Friends, could you help me find a good model:
- 40-42", LED / Plasma (if no tension of burning!)
- Smart, 3D, Wifi (good if built-in)
- Budget: 50-70

I remember a tagline "I was born intelligent, but education ruined me!". After a lot of study on this topic, Im becoming more n more confused. Also this Active vs Passive 3D debate.

T&R,
Old 16th August 2012, 09:03   #5879
Senior - BHPian

Hi T&R,

Some of us call LED/LCD as too bright and washed out while some others say Plasma is too dull.

LED is trying to fix that gap with Plasma in motion as well color rendition while plasma is trying to get a better DR range.

At the end of the day what matters is the kind of room you have and how important the TV is in reproducing an image closer to reality.

For the price point you can look at 42 inch LED;s from Samsung (E series 6,7 series).

In case of plasma, you can look at the 51inch E550 of Samsung. Its equivalent to the E8000 series in features with some subtle differences but comes with samsungs latest Smart features and whatever you wanted.

Burning is something i have not experienced. I already have a 42 Plasma from Samsung for over 4 years now. I am just moving that 40 Inch to my fathers house and going to upgrade mine to a 50 inch.

Given a chance to upgrade i will stick with Plasma for viewing is easier on eyes and the dullness works for me.
Old 16th August 2012, 09:13   #5880
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
looks like a good price, kindly share the dealer's details.

today afternoon I had visited HyperCity at Ghodbunder Road (Thane) and did some brief survey, but dont remember the models. On of the 50" LG Plasma was looking good, around 80K, but the 3D glasses were just put for charging and so gave-up. Ofcourse, I had been there for some other shopping.

By evening, I went ahead on that road and entered Vijay Sales, but couldnt locate 42ST50 model. Sony sets were quite brilliant, kinda stands out in the row, and the colors were very vibrant, maybe bit over saturated & unnatural. I spoke to a salesman on plasma, and he said that if 6-8 hours of constant image/logo is put on screen then it may burn the pixels.

On the other side of road was Kohinoor, where lots of Panasonic were on display. 42ST50 was on display, best prices mentioned as 94.5 (dont remember the HT offer on it). Had read a lot good for Pana plasma on this thread, but I was quite disappointed at the actual set. The display was quite dull ! Im still ok to have another look at this model to see it actually perform, but at the same time I cant put such money on a TV.

Also, saw the Pana LED TH-L42ET5D at best price of 75900 and when asked, salesman denied the HT offer on this. The person also mentioned that in such 3rd gen plasma, burning is not an issue anymore. This is a passive 3D, glasses costing ~400 bucks. Did demo the 3D and was quite good.

Overall, one observation in today's visits: these people didnt speak much on LG brand, but replied when explicitly asked for. I suppose LG also makes so decent sets, including the Cinema3D stuff.

Friends, could you help me find a good model:
- 40-42", LED / Plasma (if no tension of burning!)
- Smart, 3D, Wifi (good if built-in)
- Budget: 50-70

I remember a tagline "I was born intelligent, but education ruined me!". After a lot of study on this topic, Im becoming more n more confused. Also this Active vs Passive 3D debate.

T&R,
Like the tagline.. Its true !

It is not just this thread talks great about plasma. See the cnet review. ST50 is the best rated flat panel TV. I followed many threads in cnet. Either they are bit partial to panasonic or its truly a great product. My previous experience with cnet in gadgets were positive.

Panasonic TC-P55ST50 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

About dull screen - according to above review, its just a showroom phenomenon. Showroom are usually lit well. So LED tvs will stand ahead of LCD or plasma. My advice would be to find someone having a plasma and visit their home. I did that, and helped me.. I am yet to buy my plasma.

About burn in - It is still a reality, though many claim it is not in new generation tvs. See article below.. ST50 is poor on this front !

Samsung plasma wins CNET's accidental burn-in test | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

I don't play games nor planning to do lot of web browsing on tv. But the fact that logo of DTH provider or channel creating burn-in is a serious concern for me.

But despite all these, my mind still says plasma is better than LCD/LED

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks