Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:36   #5776
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
What!

What are the better 65"+ options under 3L? My viewing distance is about 8meters (300" or 25'). Anything less than 65" and I would be staring at a postage stamp.
65VT30 is what you should be aiming for in the absence of the latest Panasonic range. 65VT30 was the greatest last year. Spec wise I'm sure the difference in VT30 and VT50 will not be like comparing CRT and Plasma and moreover viewed on its own 65VT30 will hold its own against everything but the 65VT50.
Old 24th July 2012, 01:08   #5777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowardly Lion View Post
Before we speak with Panasonic about exact deliveries we need to have the relevant data in place. Everyone needs to step up and reconfirm and identify the model/city where they want the deliveries so that we pose a definite question to the Pana guys. In this post, everyone who has ever show any interest in this group buy, is included so that they can immediately revert back with whatever it is that they want to or not want to do..

I'm going to recap where we stand as of today -

1) 65" in VT50, GT50 & ST50 is not available at all. 65" is only available in VT30.
My opinion is that it seems highly unlikely that Panasonic has not brought in the latest series in 65". I think that to prevent cannibalization of 65VT30, they will release it once the existing stocks of VT30 dwindle to an acceptable level.

2) 42ST50 - Rs. 76, 000/-

3) 50ST50 - Rs 92,000/-

I believe that with 50ST30 Panasonic is going to be offering Panasonic's SC XH170 - home theater system - 5.1 channel as a freebie (subject to availability).
Thanks a lot for initiating this CL!

I could not wait on the Bombay one any longer and ended up picking the Samsung 51E550 from Kohinoor last week - It is scheduled for delivery this week and I have already paid up for it. I don't think I can cancel the order but let me check tomorrow.

I also wanted a 50ST50 and a 46" LED for a new house we were hoping to move into by the end of the month in Jamshedpur but construction delays have resulted in a possible move in date of October-November. In that case I don't think it makes sense for me to get the TV now as I won't be able to install it anywhere now. However, if I can get it a similar discount from MOP (I.E. 10K off) at that time, I am game for a ST50 and a 46" LED. Do let me know if anything can be worked out in my situation! Many Thanks.
Old 24th July 2012, 02:00   #5778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Anybody? I see that this thread has evolved into "How to buy a Panasonic Plasma as a group" but I really need advice on this Samsung LED.
Actually, I was hoping someone would comment on your question, as we are considering this model also. But there is an option from Toshiba with a 3 year warranty and a sound bar. But it is HD Ready. But people here have commented that full HD or HD ready would not make much of a difference on a 32" screen. What I'd like to know is HOW MUCH difference does it make... esp. when viewed from a distance of say 4 feet? Price differential between this Samsung model and the Toshiba is substantial. Also the 3 year warranty is way better than Sammy's one year. Does Sammy not have confidence in its products?

On the other hand, some are suggesting a 40 - 42" Panny plasma instead.

Dunno what to choose.

Last edited by Raccoon : 24th July 2012 at 02:02.
Old 24th July 2012, 08:28   #5779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Thanks a lot for initiating this CL!

I could not wait on the Bombay one any longer and ended up picking the Samsung 51E550 from Kohinoor last week - It is scheduled for delivery this week and I have already paid up for it. I don't think I can cancel the order but let me check tomorrow.

I also wanted a 50ST50 and a 46" LED for a new house we were hoping to move into by the end of the month in Jamshedpur but construction delays have resulted in a possible move in date of October-November. In that case I don't think it makes sense for me to get the TV now as I won't be able to install it anywhere now. However, if I can get it a similar discount from MOP (I.E. 10K off) at that time, I am game for a ST50 and a 46" LED. Do let me know if anything can be worked out in my situation! Many Thanks.
If you need a TV in Oct-Nov then you should not look at this deal and prices not commit for a TV at the moment. I was also facing a similar dilemma and came to the following conclusion - Those months being the festive season there will be 2 scenarios -

1) If the so called recession continues into the festive season and these TV's don't sell then you may end up getting a similar if not a better deal on your individual purchase. My observation has been that instead of marking down the price of their product they will offer something else along with as a freebie (stock clearance).

2) If the season goes well then nothing/nada. You will get something like a lucky draw coupon etc and that will be that..!

My decision was made easier by the fact that my existing TV developed permanent horizontal lines across its screen --> my better half went into deep mourning --> to get her out of it I'm in the market..!

I hope this helps...

By the way while I was at the showroom I saw a deal wherein a sharp 40' was available as a freebie (if you could call it that!) with a 60' Sharp. Don't recall if the same was for LED's/LCD's or Plasma. Want me to get the details.. I'm sure the same will be available with a dealer in your neck of the woods as well..
Old 24th July 2012, 10:11   #5780
BHPian

I have bought the 2012 Samsung PS43E470 plasma a couple of months back for Rs. 38900/-. I am satisfied with the quality of the DTH HD channels, though I wish the SD channels were reproduced a bit better. Color reproduction is very nice, blacks are good enough for me. The TV has weird resolution of 1024x768, they still maintain 16:9 aspect ration using rectangular pixels. I have some issue where the edges of images or even OSD text appears with jagged pixelated edges when changing channels or when the image changes abruptly for example when a scene cuts to another scene. Satisfied with the quality overall.
Old 24th July 2012, 10:54   #5781
BHPian

Quote:
If you need a TV in Oct-Nov then you should not look at this deal and prices not commit for a TV at the moment. I was also facing a similar dilemma and came to the following conclusion - Those months being the festive season there will be 2 scenarios -

1) If the so called recession continues into the festive season and these TV's don't sell then you may end up getting a similar if not a better deal on your individual purchase. My observation has been that instead of marking down the price of their product they will offer something else along with as a freebie (stock clearance).

2) If the season goes well then nothing/nada. You will get something like a lucky draw coupon etc and that will be that..!

My decision was made easier by the fact that my existing TV developed permanent horizontal lines across its screen --> my better half went into deep mourning --> to get her out of it I'm in the market..!

I hope this helps...

By the way while I was at the showroom I saw a deal wherein a sharp 40' was available as a freebie (if you could call it that!) with a 60' Sharp. Don't recall if the same was for LED's/LCD's or Plasma. Want me to get the details.. I'm sure the same will be available with a dealer in your neck of the woods as well..
Thanks for the advice. Honestly, I am ready to buy the TVs right now but there is literally no space for them in our current place as we get ready to move in the next 3 months. (We already have an old 32" Sharp boxed up and waiting to be opened and installed in the new house). And I can't have them installed in the new house because we are still completing painting, polishing etc, so the TVs will effectively get ruined by the time we move in (Even with some sort of protective covering).

I am going to speak to the Panasonic dealer today and see what kind of deal he can offer me now \ later. Typically in Tier II cities like Jamshedpur, the dealers give 10% of MOP (At least Sony and Samsung) - If the Pana guy gives me the same deal, then please count me out of the deal. I will give you an update by Thursday.

Cheers,
V
Old 24th July 2012, 13:20   #5782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What was the price for the 60inch Sharp LED? Was it the Quattron?
Old 24th July 2012, 14:21   #5783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
What was the price for the 60inch Sharp LED? Was it the Quattron?
It is Sharp LED 60' 3D - 60LE835 - Rs. 2,69,990/-. The freebie is 40LE530.
Hope this helps...
Old 24th July 2012, 14:54   #5784
BHPian

Recently purchased 40" LED TV from Sony Bravia. Model no KDL-40EX650.
Old 24th July 2012, 15:07   #5785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Anybody? I see that this thread has evolved into "How to buy a Panasonic Plasma as a group" but I really need advice on this Samsung LED.
You don't have to express like that to get an answer - that is rather disrespectful to others. Probably the others haven't had a chance to look at it - it is not available at most places.

I saw a Samsung PS51E550D1R in action at Reliance in Bangalore, and tried a direct comparison with a Panasonic 42UT30 a while back - with my own media on USB sticks.
* The Samsung looks a bit dull comparatively, especially when one has the white background for the Settings
* Color saturation was, well, different. Sky blue, purple etc. were deeper. Yellows and greens had a faded look. Black 'blackness' and white 'whiteness' was a bit less
* The Panasonic's sound was much better
* The Samsung uniform dull black bezel was rather unappealing and looked cheap, as was the stand
* Didn't find much difference in fast action scenes, but that is a characteristic of plasmas anyhow
* Specs-wise they don't differ much, though a straight comparison is rather difficult as they speak different terminologies
* Major difference: the Pana 50ST50 has 2500 Hz Focused Field Drive v/s 600Hz Subfield panel drive of the Samsung E550
* The Samsung doesn't mention anything about "3D 24p Film Display / Smooth Film"
* No mention of HDMI ARC in Samsung, nor of SD card slot (didn't check physically)
Old 24th July 2012, 16:07   #5786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
Recently purchased 40" LED TV from Sony Bravia. Model no KDL-40EX650.

Could you provide the details of pricing and your Review of the product in comparo with the others you might have considered ??
Old 24th July 2012, 16:30   #5787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
Could you provide the details of pricing and your Review of the product in comparo with the others you might have considered ??
I purchased it at 65k from Vijay Sales in Mumbai on sunday 22-Jul. Its yet to be installed by company technician. I will put my review once the unit is installed at my residence. Other products considered were - Panasonic 42" LED (don't remember the model number) and Samsung 40" LED TV (Series 6).
Old 24th July 2012, 19:12   #5788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Just keep adding your names to the list so its easy to keep track.

50ST50 (92000/-)

devarshi84 Ahmedabad
DerAlte Bangalore
Cowardly Lion New Delhi
Klever Hyderabad

42ST50 (76000/-)

CRV2010 Bangalore
I am opting out of the group deal.
Just purchased sammy laptop and left with no money now ...
Old 24th July 2012, 19:38   #5789
BHPian

Still interested but right now scaling down to 42'. Here is the updated list

50ST50 (92000/-)

devarshi84 Ahmedabad
DerAlte Bangalore
Cowardly Lion New Delhi
Klever Hyderabad

42ST50 (76000/-)

CRV2010 Bangalore
DWind Chennai
Old 24th July 2012, 21:34   #5790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
especially when one has the white background for the Settings
Not quite sure if I followed this. I have not compared this tv to any other plasma. Beside a Samsung LED, it sure looked dull but nothing to the levels that would rule out buying this set. My tv runs at 70% contrast levels and it is far from dull at this setting.

Quote:
Color saturation was, well, different
I have never liked Samsungs due to their over saturated colors. The E550 is an exception. You may have your opinion and here are mine. After spending around a week with this television, my only concern are the reds and whites which are not to my satisfaction. I have been fiddling with the picture settings quite a bit and there is improvement. I have no complaints with black levels. They are superb. 1080p content shines on this television.

Quote:
The Panasonic's sound was much better
Can't comment on this as I have no comparison. I have no complaints though. I have yet to raise the volume levels over 40%. Dialog is clear and there is good balance to sound quality.

Quote:
The Samsung uniform dull black bezel was rather unappealing and looked cheap, as was the stand
This can be a personal opinion. I have no problem with the piano black frame finish that some may find cheap and unappealing. The stand is far from cheap.

Quote:
No mention of HDMI ARC in Samsung, nor of SD card slot.
ARC is supported on HDMI IN 2.The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_0055_r.jpg

There is no SD card slot.

To my surprise, the E550 is made or assembled on the outskirts of Chennai at Samsung's Kancheepuram factory. This explains the low pricing. As a product, I have no complaints and hope this Samsung works without a hitch.

Attaching some images for the folk who would like to know how far one can go with regard to tweaking picture settings on the Samsung E550 plasma.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_0060_r.jpgThe TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_0061_r.jpgThe TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_0062_r.jpgThe TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_0063_r.jpgThe TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_0064_r.jpg

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 24th July 2012 at 21:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks