Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2011, 12:54   #4936
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Bought the 42x30d panasonic plasma Saturday here in Hyderabad.
Costed me 36,500/- including a wall mount.Pretty to hard to get such a price. The other nearest quotes I got were 37k and 38K. It's about 39 K in all hi-profile dealer shops.
I didn't opt for home delivery. Instead took it directly from shop and bought it home in car. Had the satisfaction of getting what I saw.Did installation and setup my self.Figured how to get into service menu after a day.
Checked usage: hours: 10, count : 5( number of times set is switched on).

Btw, other interesting bits:
Grey market price for 42x30: 28.5k
Grey price for sony 40bx420: 31.5k
Billed price for Panny 42U30D : 45k( after hard bargain).

Bought the same TV myself for 36k. And followed the same procedure as you as well ( Took it in my car and set it up myself )
Have been using it for 2 weeks and am extremely happy with the performance till now.

Pros
  • Natural colour reproduction
  • Less strain on the eyes
  • With lights off, it gives the same feel as inside the theatres ( unlike LCDs and LEDs which feels irritating largely due to the backlit. )
  • Voice clarity on the speakers and less sound reflections ( even though I've placed it on a room with a large glass balcony door )
  • 4:3 SD Content looks good on the "Just" aspect ratio and doesn't feel stretched much.
  • DVD contents looks crisp ( I've connected it using HDMI from an upscaled Philips DVD player )
  • 3-year warranty for the panel ( The sales rep said the Panel is "made in Japan". Not sure though )
Cons
  • When PC is connected to HDMI, the TV tells the Graphics card that the audio supported is only stereo which makes the graphics card send the sound in stereo format instead of Dolby Digital. This makes the optical output of the TV useless when used with PC. ( But, 5.1 content plugged into the USB of the TV gives out 5.1 surround through the optical out of the TV )
  • Audio is not as good as the LG's plasma TV. But, if you have a home theater, this aspect can be neglected.
  • Some of the video formats did not play. And on some files, the audio did not play. So, I depend on ASUS Oplay HD2 Media Box to play all of those file formats.
  • Lack of File Manager for USB means you have to wait for the indexing to complete before playing Video/Audio from a USB device.
  • Bulkier and more power consuming that the LCD/LED
  • Glare if you have a window opposite to the TV. ( Still, I would rather prefer to have darker curtains and go for the better picture on a Plasma )
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz View Post
Looking at buying a 42" Plasma for home, please suggest a good and reliable model. Not very keen on full HD, however would like to have excellent picture quality. usb and wifi is desirable.
Budget 35 - 40K.
Go for Panasonic 42X30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
People, please help!

I'm on the look out for 2 TVs. The first one a 32' LCD for regular use, one that is almost switched on most of the day for regular channel viewing. The second one, a more feature rich TV - preferably a smart TV with usual bells and whistles.

I've shortlisted these for the first (32') one. There is no need for a full HD TV and the cash saved can be used for the other one.
- LG 32LK332: basic simple HD ready TV with USB support and a 30,000 contrast ratio. Cost ~25k
- Samsung LA32D481G4: basic simple HD ready TV with USB support and a mention of dynamic contrast ratio (??). Cost ~28k
- Pana 32X22: this seems to be a slightly older model with not even a USB port (SD port included) and a contrast ratio of 20.000. But I can get this one for ~21k. I liked the picture quality though and also the panel seemed more robust compared to LG/Samsung.
There were some other models also again in the range of ~26k, with largely similar features.

I'm rather confused at this stage on which one to select and would appreciate any help from you, if you own any of these models or can provide suggestions for me to select.

The second TV, will most likely be a Full HD 42' Pana Plasma. Deciding on the model, but one confusion there - I've come across a feature IPTV (facebook, shoutcast). Does this indicate that only FB is supported, or can I in general use the TV for any content browsing?
1) For your first TV, I'll recommend Panasonic ( But with USB and Wifi Ready ,costs around 25k. It's HD Ready, but don't remember the model number. My friend bought it and it is good. ). One major advantage with Pana is the 3 year warranty. Picture quality is good too.

2) 42U30d is a good option for Full HD Plasma. But, please see that Full HD is required only if you are going to use the TV for gaming or for browsing ( using PC's HDMI input ) from less than 6 feet distance. Else, HD Ready and Full HD looks the same. So, think again before you want to spend the 8k extra for full HD.

3) Only FB, and shoutcast radio is supported. There is no browser for generic browsing. You will have to connect a PC/laptop for this purpose. Recommended mode of connection is HDMI for PC eventhough you have the normal VGA input as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Few things to consider before deciding.

1. Lots of channels on Tata Sky these days come on Full HD (especially sports) are you sure you dont want Full HD for the regular use (i.e. watching TV). Soon we might start having most channels on Full HD and then not having the right equipment will be a disability of sorts.
2. Usually TV's will last 10+ years, and in that time frame most content will be Full HD.
3. In my opinion sitting long hours on LCD gives lot of eye strain, do check it yourself.

The other option is to buy one which is much bigger and higher in terms of technology.
1) Tata Sky offers HD ready content ( 720p/1080i ), and not full HD ( 1080p ). Correct me, if I'm wrong.

2) Full HD makes sense only on a 50" TV or if you are using the TV for gaming ( where you sit very close to the TV. At a practical viewing distance of 8 feet or more, you won't notice the difference between HD ready and Full HD on a 42" TV.

3) Yes, I agree with your point. Plasma feels more easy on your eyes even with all lights switched OFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Have decide to go for 42" plasma .have shortlisted lg 42PT350R - rs.37900 & 650 R - 39500 / pana 42x30d - 39,000 . both are HD ready and not full hd .

should. go for full hd . also what is adv of full hd vs hd ready .

Next Full hd model in pana is expensive by 7k. pls advice folks ,need to buy in next 2 days to avail exciting finance options.
1) I would recommend HD Ready unless you plan to use the TV for gaming and using PC.
2) Panasonic price for 42X30d is 36k. Do more bargaining.
3) Go for the LG model, if big sound is more important. Go for the Pana, if picture quality is more important. If you already have a home theater for the sound, Panasonic is definitely the better choice.

Quote:
My recommendation go for Panasonic Plasma (Out of these three), although an older technology still offers better picture quality then LCD. LCD is known to give eye strain. I myself bought Panasonic 50 inches plasma last year and have been very satisfied with its performance till date.

Needless to say if its in budget you should look at LED's as well.

For more info
Plasma vs. LCD vs. LED: Which HDTV Type is Best? | PCMag.com

LCD vs LED vs Plasma
+1. Plasma is the best, when it comes to picture quality.

Last edited by amalji : 26th September 2011 at 13:06.
Old 26th September 2011, 15:33   #4937
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

Panasonic price for 42X30d is 36k. Do more bargaining.
Pana 42X30D is available for 34990/- in bangalore
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 15:48   #4938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Where are you getting this quote from? The best place to buy the TV or any home appliances is from Devi international, located in Jayanagar close to eZone. They can beat any price quote in Bangalore or Karnataka! Just in case you dont know...
Old 26th September 2011, 15:55   #4939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
Where are you getting this quote from? The best place to buy the TV or any home appliances is from Devi international, located in Jayanagar close to eZone. They can beat any price quote in Bangalore or Karnataka! Just in case you dont know...
+1. And i can say with some confidence that you can get 42X30D for much less than 35K at Devi.
Old 26th September 2011, 16:17   #4940
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
Quote is from Pai. he is willing go below that provided the purchase happens immediately. this is interest free installments and zero processing fee ( it is from Panasonic)

Of late there are many complaints on Devi international on mouthshut
Old 26th September 2011, 16:19   #4941
BHPian

Quote:
Quote is from Pai. he is willing go below that provided the purchase happens immediately. this is interest free installments and zero processing fee ( it is from Panasonic)

Really??? What kind of complaints? Some times you can expect the delay in delivery, especially during festival time... otherwise they are just fine.
Old 26th September 2011, 16:26   #4942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If its Panasonic that you are buying try the Panasonic store in Kormangala. I bought it from there, the deal was better there and the delivery is almost immediate and fitting in the next few hours. If you need the number do let me know, call them and check the deal.
Old 27th September 2011, 13:04   #4943
BHPian

A lot of people here have been praising the Panasonic V series plasmas. I have made my mind to get a Panasonic Plasma and nothing else.
I just checked their website but there they only have a 65" model in VT series.
In the ST series however, they do have a 50" model with the same features as the 65" one except for the Wifi adapter which comes bundled with the 65" one whereas it has to be bought separately in case of the 50" one.
1. I have a Wifi router at home, how can I use it with this Plasma TV?
2. Is this VT and ST series better than the V series talked about here?
Old 27th September 2011, 16:51   #4944
BHPian

Quote:
You can get 42X30D for 32K at Devi.
Old 29th September 2011, 20:14   #4945
BHPian

Now, I have made my mind to go for the 50" Panasonic 3D Plasma. I have a few queries that I am listing serially-

1. I tried calling up a lot of dealers at my place in faridabad but none of them have this model on display. I tried calling Croma situated along Mathura Road but nobody picks up the phone and the place is a good 20 km from my place.
I am thinking to buy this TV from South Delhi. Can somebody guide me to a place in South Delhi who can give me a demo of this model and give a good deal?

2. I think I will need a 3D blu ray player to play the 3D content as well. Panasonic has only one model capable of 3D blu ray. Is it good enough or does it miss a few features?

3. I am also going to buy an Onkyo HTIB. How do I make sure it is compatible with my other equipment so that I don't make a wrong selection? I am still undecided on the model so this will help me decide better.

4. Is it possible to buy all this stuff from the same place to avail a nice combo offer? So as to say, where in South Delhi can I buy Panasonic 3D Plasma, 3D blu ray player and Onkyo both in a good combo deal?

5. Which HD DTH service is the best in terms of picture quality and sound quality and also had a good amount of latest channels?

6. Why doesn't Panasonic give some good 3D packages like Samsung does?

There might be a lot more questions from me as this is my first such purchase and I don't know much about 3D and HDMI 1.2, 1.3, 1.x. Do help me out.

Here are the links to the various products I have in mind-

The 3D blu ray

panasonic.co.in/wps/portal/home/products/digitalav/bluray/3dblurayplayer

The TV-
panasonic.co.in/wps/portal/home/products/digitalav/tv/vieraplasmatv/stseries/p50st30d
Old 2nd October 2011, 02:21   #4946
BHPian

TV for my fitness room

I am looking to purchase a TV (it could either be LCD, LED or Plasma) for using in my fitness room. My main requirements are:

1. It must be wall mountable (due to the lack of space)
2. I would be viewing it from a distance of around 2 to 3 feet
3. I am JUST going to use the TV to watch some video songs that I have stored in an external USB hard disk - without the need for an external media player (So, the TV must comfortably play all the HD video formats such as mkv, mp4, avi, ISO, etc... and it must also support DTS, Dolby Digital and AAC audio).
4. I am NOT going to use the TV for watching TV channels or for gaming.
5. The TV should have a good VFM
6. Sound must be really good as I am not going to connect external amp/speakers for watching video songs.

Could you please suggest me some options - including the optimal TV size for my usage and models that I should consider.

I look forward to your inputs.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 2nd October 2011 at 02:23.
Old 2nd October 2011, 06:30   #4947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
[b]TV must comfortably play all the HD video formats such as mkv, mp4, avi, ISO, etc... and it must also support DTS, Dolby Digital and AAC audio).
No sure today but about six months back none of the tv's supported all the formats. We found Samsung and LG to support DivX, Mp3, avi, etc and none supported mkv, m2ts, mp4. You might have to buy a media player for these other formats.
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:54   #4948
BHPian

Quote:
No sure today but about six months back none of the tv's supported all the formats. We found Samsung and LG to support DivX, Mp3, avi, etc and none supported mkv, m2ts, mp4. You might have to buy a media player for these other formats.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was searching the internet and it looks like many TVs are supporting HD mkv, mp4, etc... these days. But I am not sure which reasonably priced TV has support for majority of these formats.
Old 2nd October 2011, 11:51   #4949
BHPian

Buying Sony HX925

Mahavir Eletronics Multibrand shop from Bibvewadi Pune quoted 1,43K for 46" SONY HX925. Additionally -2K for buyback for a 13 year old CRT lying in the house.

Enquring in Vijay Sales Satara Road was hilarious, Salesman said its non moving model so its termed flop so Sony has discontinued HX925, on this I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I insisted on the deal; his manager unwillingly quoted me 1,50K.

Anyone in Pune interested to buy this?? I will try to work out a group deal.
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:07   #4950
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I was searching the internet and it looks like many TVs are supporting HD mkv, mp4, etc... these days. But I am not sure which reasonably priced TV has support for majority of these formats.

Toshiba LCD, LEd model claim to play 27 media formats through USB. all know media formats are included. Further Toshiba gives 3 years warranty and models are priced less than others.
32PB10E comes for 22-23 K

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks