Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2012, 15:31   #6286
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Thanks Guys for the feedback. I can see that LED is the way to go from the pov of having a USB/power consumption.

Viewing distance is about 15-18ft easily. Can rearrange and get even 30-35ft lengthwise.

Since I'm the only one who watches TV at home ( wife and son hardly watch. My mom does when she visits us ), I wanted to keep the budget tight ( funny thing - once u have a family you think the most when ur spending for urself ! ). What would be the best model LED with HDMI/USB <15K ? I presume expecting 3D @ this budget will invoke some infractions !!
I upgraded from a 21 CRT to a 32 inch LED just a couple of months back. Take it from me, you don't want to go any lower than this size. You can skimp on the other features 3D / Smart TV /Full HD blah blah... but go for the biggest screen size you can afford. I'm already feeling I should have gone for the 40 inch one. I'd recommend you go for LED as the LCD models will be phased out within the next two years at most. You should be a able to get a 32 inch Toshiba no frills model around the 20k mark.

Last edited by longhorn : 24th December 2012 at 15:32.
Old 24th December 2012, 16:26   #6287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
however all theatre systems on display was having only one port and as per sales agent ie since HDMI cables offer two way communication. I know of systems which have more than one HDMI In ports, but just wanted to know if there is any truth in what sales person was talking to.
Yes, newer HDMI specs have option of "HDMI Reverse Audio Channel".

With that, TV can send audio to HT system in this manner:

XBOX/Blu Ray Player etc ---> TV ---> Home Theater

Video will be played on TV, audio would be sent to HT.

However, there are few issues:

1. TV must support this feature (which TV do you have?)
2. Audio quality would be restricted to SD Audio in most TVs (due to lack of processing power)

So, it is preferable to have a HT system in this config (this requires multiple HDMI connection in HT)

XBOX/Blu Ray player etc ---> HT ---> TV
Old 24th December 2012, 17:08   #6288
Senior - BHPian

^Thank you for the nice explanation.
Considering 42GT50 from Panasonic and a HD set-top box, how will the connections be?
(assume some HT will be used, since the TV output sound is very average as per reviews).

I here there is optical out on the TV. Can someone recommend a decent HT which does not use lot of space? What budget is needed for the same?
Old 24th December 2012, 17:16   #6289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
So, it is preferable to have a HT system in this config (this requires multiple HDMI connection in HT)

XBOX/Blu Ray player etc ---> HT ---> TV
Thanks for very detailed reply. Iam having LG 47LW5700 LED TV. Guess as per your comments even if TV supports the feature sound quality wont be of HD quality. Will check out other HTS in budget then.
Old 24th December 2012, 17:45   #6290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^Thank you for the nice explanation.
Considering 42GT50 from Panasonic and a HD set-top box, how will the connections be?
With this, you can use either. Since input is a HD set top box, it will not be able to supply HD Audio. At best, it will supply Dolby or DTS 5.1 and 42GT50 can supply that from ARC to HT.

However if you purchase a Bly Ray or Digitral Media player in future, 42GT50 will not be able to send Dolby HD / DTS HD to HT.

Quote:
I here there is optical out on the TV. Can someone recommend a decent HT which does not use lot of space? What budget is needed for the same?
Decent Home Theater systems start from 25k. I like this one:

http://www.lg.com/in/home-entertainment/lg-BH7220

It has a Blu Ray player + Media Player + AVR + Speakers in a single package. Downside is power. Its output is just 20 Watts as compared to 60 Watts provided by AVRs from Yamaha/Denon/Onkyo in 30k range. (It is advertized as 1100 Watt, but that is marketing bullshit).

Quote:
Thanks for very detailed reply. Iam having LG 47LW5700 LED TV. Guess as per your comments even if TV supports the feature sound quality wont be of HD quality. Will check out other HTS in budget then.
What is your budget? This TV cant handle HD Audio.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 24th December 2012 at 17:46. Reason: Typo
Old 24th December 2012, 17:51   #6291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

What is your budget? This TV cant handle HD Audio.
Was looking around 30/35 K range. Was thinking of http://www.lg.com/in/home-entertainm...theater-system , ie why had asked about HDMI connection since this has only one HDMI In port.
Old 24th December 2012, 18:00   #6292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With this, you can use either. Since input is a HD set top box, it will not be able to supply HD Audio. At best, it will supply Dolby or DTS 5.1 and 42GT50 can supply that from ARC to HT.

However if you purchase a Bly Ray or Digitral Media player in future, 42GT50 will not be able to send Dolby HD / DTS HD to HT.

Decent Home Theater systems start from 25k.
What does "HD Audio" mean? I thought Dolby/DTS 5.1 is the ultimate in audio so far.
I don't intend to purchase Blue Ray player in the near future. I have a desktop which has a Blue Ray player. Maybe I can use that drive and stream the content to the Plasma TV over wireless or wired network somehow?
I don't know what would happen to the audio quality in that case though.

I don't expect high quality sound from DishTV or XYZ DTH provider, so even my 2.1 channel wood speakers will do a great job, I guess.

However, when I am watching movies from my USB pen drive, I would expect something better in terms of audio (but this is where my TV and existing 2.1 wood speakers might disappoint).

I was considering something from Panasonic hoping that I don't run into compatibility problems of any sort (considering that TV will also be Panasonic).
e.g. SC-XH70
This support ARC and can do 1080p up scaling. It also has VIERA link, so I can use a single remote to control the HT and TV.
It has USB, but I don't know what formats it can support.
It has DVD drive, but I don't need that. I just need the speakers.

Edit: This thread caused me a lot of confusion.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasm...tical-out.html

Last edited by S_U_N : 24th December 2012 at 18:09. Reason: Link added.
Old 24th December 2012, 19:17   #6293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was looking around 30/35 K range. Was thinking of http://www.lg.com/in/home-entertainm...theater-system , ie why had asked about HDMI connection since this has only one HDMI In port.
You can look at :
http://in.yamaha.com/en/products/aud..._g/?mode=model

This has:
1. 40 Watts per channel (marketing claims 100 W)
2. Support for HD Audio
3. Better speakers as compared to LG

You will need to purchase a Media player for 5k and this system would cost 28 - 30k.

Quote:
I have a desktop which has a Blue Ray player. Maybe I can use that drive and stream the content to the Plasma TV over wireless or wired network somehow?
I don't know what would happen to the audio quality in that case though.

However, when I am watching movies from my USB pen drive, I would expect something better in terms of audio

I was considering something from Panasonic hoping that I don't run into compatibility problems of any sort (considering that TV will also be Panasonic).
You can also look at Yamaha 298/296.

For even better quality, purchasing an AVR + Speaker package is the way to go but that would cost around 50k minimum.
Old 24th December 2012, 22:52   #6294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Viewing distance is around 8 feet, so dont want a bigger screen.
From 6.5 feet viewing distance, you can watch 65 inch tv, 1920x1080 resolution.

see this link. When source is Toshiba, we had better take it seriously. Extensive research goes into their studies.

http://us.toshiba.com/tv/research-ce...ewing-distance
Old 25th December 2012, 18:42   #6295
BHPian

I am in the market for 50/51 plasma. The only options are the panasonic ST, GT and Samsung E8000. With its attractive pricing and offers (Including the Tab2) I was pretty sure i was going for the E8000. However, NONE of these models are available in Chennai.

Well Panasonic being Panasonic there was no word on when the dealers will have stock and my discussion with Samsung executives yielded that the production of 51E8000 has been discontinued-such a pity!

I have the following questions:
1. Is the Plasma craze dying down?
2. Is the news about Samsung discontinuing E8000, true?
3. Is there anyone who can provide me a lead for buying the 51E8000 in Chennai?
4. Next options are Plasma: 50UT50D-what do I lose if I buy this instead of the perennial wait for 50ST50D?
5. If none works-I am going for Sony HX850-any thoughts on this

Best,
Projjal
Old 25th December 2012, 20:13   #6296
BHPian

Quote:
What does "HD Audio" mean? I thought Dolby/DTS 5.1 is the ultimate in audio so far.
I don't expect high quality sound from DishTV or XYZ DTH provider, so even my 2.1 channel wood speakers will do a great job, I guess.

This support ARC and can do 1080p up scaling. It also has VIERA link, so I can use a single remote to control the HT and TV.
* For most of the TVs, do not rely on ARC for anything better than stereo (2.0) from another HDMI input (dvd/blu ray player/HD STBs/PSP/Xbox) on TV. You can read this http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1498751.

* From other inputs (like USB /SD card input or DLNA using TVs inbuilt media player OR TC broadcast), however ARC works fine for 5.1.

I would suggest you consider a AVR (Audio video receiver) which does not have a DVD/blu ray player (thereby allowing you to upgrade either of them independently). I would suggest check Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon AVRs. Even the low price ones have sufficient HDMI inputs and support most of the current audio formats and will be compatible with latest TVs for basic HDMI controls (volume, switch off/on) and ARC as mentioned above. You can then connect all your sources to AVR and AVR output to TV. Most of the current receivers also pass through/swtich the inputs even if they are in standby in which case the audio output will be from TV (if thats what one wants).
Old 26th December 2012, 11:56   #6297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I upgraded from a 21 CRT to a 32 inch LED just a couple of months back. Take it from me, you don't want to go any lower than this size. You can skimp on the other features 3D / Smart TV /Full HD blah blah... but go for the biggest screen size you can afford. I'm already feeling I should have gone for the 40 inch one. I'd recommend you go for LED as the LCD models will be phased out within the next two years at most. You should be a able to get a 32 inch Toshiba no frills model around the 20k mark.
Thanks Longhorn. Most members here have recommended going for a larger size however I want to have one final look at the showroom how the 22" looks like. If its ok, will go for it ( due to budget constraints ).
I did some reasearch online and came out with the below models. Would appreciate feedback on the same.

Re-stating my priorities:
1) LED TV with good picture quality. I dont have a eye for great detail. So decent quality is fine
2) Build to last -I like to keep my appliances for long - Not the type who will upgrade every 2-3 years. Hence would prefer good quality that lasts for 7-8 years atleast
3) connectivity - USB port for external storage devices playing various common video formats + port to connect to a conventional DVD player. I have one that i bought about 6 years back !

The models I shortlisted are below. This is based on PRICE and only looking at non Korean
32"
1) Toshiba32PB200
2) Toshiba 32PU200
3) Hitachi LE32T05A
4) Philips 32PFL5537

24"
1) Panasonic THL24X5D
2) Sony KLV 24EX430

Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 12:42   #6298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can also look at Yamaha 298/296.

For even better quality, purchasing an AVR + Speaker package is the way to go but that would cost around 50k minimum.
I am not really looking for the best. I just want to get a 5.1 experience that I had when I watched a few movies in my earlier apartment [where we had a Sony 5.1 HT (year 2007, cost Rs. 15000)].

I am sure that equivalent quality would be available for around 10K (and that includes the DVD player as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
* For most of the TVs, do not rely on ARC for anything better than stereo (2.0) from another HDMI input (dvd/blu ray player/HD STBs/PSP/Xbox) on TV. You can read this http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1498751.

* From other inputs (like USB /SD card input or DLNA using TVs inbuilt media player OR TC broadcast), however ARC works fine for 5.1.
Good insight about ARC limitations. Thank you.
For HD STB, does the audio system reallly need an upgrade? Perhaps while watching movies on Star or HBO etc?
How is the DTH audio quality on a 5.1 HT system? At the moment I am on DishTV DTH but I might switch to Videocon HD DTH in the near future.

Quote:
I would suggest you consider a AVR (Audio video receiver) which does not
have a DVD/blu ray player (thereby allowing you to upgrade either of them independently). I would suggest check Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon AVRs. Even the low price ones have sufficient HDMI inputs and support most of the current audio formats and will be compatible with latest TVs for basic HDMI controls (volume, switch off/on) and ARC as mentioned above. You can then connect all your sources to AVR and AVR output to TV. Most of the current receivers also pass through/swtich the inputs even if they are in standby in which case the audio output will be from TV (if thats what one wants).
Perhaps I will include AVR in my wish list.
If I buy an XBOX, then I don't need DVD/ BR player. What will the AVR offer in that case to me?
How much does the "low price one" cost? How much power does it consume?
I assume it come with all the 5.1 speakers. I will prefer India warranty.

Rant: All this due to the inferior quality speakers on the GT50.

@fatboyslim: I cannot comment on the Chennai market but Panasonic brand shops are your best bet to find the models.
In Pune, one brandshop has 42 inchers available, but 50inchers are not available for ST and GT.
The other brandshop expects stock in first half of January.

Outside dealers are in similar situation. There is one who has 10 pieces of 42GT50 (as claimed), but asking for more money than the brandshops. Maybe he is cashing in on the shortage which is a wide known fact.
The other dealer offered me a mouthwatering price and now says the stock is expected by 10 January.

I am not really in a hurry, but still my money is lying idle due to this delay.

I cannot comment on Samsung or LG plasma but I assume they offer only 1 year warranty.

The ST is much brighter than the UT is what I hear, though I could not see ST50 anywhere.
Last week, Jumbo electronics sold a 50ST30 (last year model) for 70K. I had seen that ST and it seemed to be good.

The GT beats UT hands down, but then the price difference between them is huge.

Last edited by S_U_N : 26th December 2012 at 12:49.
Old 26th December 2012, 13:13   #6299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not really looking for the best. I just want to get a 5.1 experience that I had when I watched a few movies in my earlier apartment [where we had a Sony 5.1 HT (year 2007, cost Rs. 15000)].

You can look at Sony DAV TZ145 in that case. IT has 5.1 output and DVD player.

However, I will strongly recommend a system that has at least one HDMI input so that you can attach a media player / iPhone/ Xbox /PS 3 / Android phone in future to the same system.

Such a system with AVR would cost around 50k (AVR + Speakers + DVD+ Media player will have to be purchased separately)
An all-in-one system (called HTiB) will cost between 20 to 35k.
Old 26th December 2012, 13:40   #6300
BHPian

Quote:

Good insight about ARC limitations. Thank you.
For HD STB, does the audio system reallly need an upgrade? Perhaps while watching movies on Star or HBO etc?
The 5.1 Dolby digital audio stream is available on all HD channels on tatasky. The ones that matter are
* Star Gold HD, Star Movies HD, MTunes HD, Star world HD,
* Sony HD, colors HD, Zee HD (only when they show movies; we don't watch many serials but some of them do have true 5.1 effects and not fake ones)

Almost all other HD channels (sports/Natgeo/discovery on tata sky sound fake and sound erupts from a random speaker without any sensible reasoning).

All SD movie channels (HBO, Zee studio, etc) the sound is not 5.1 but is stereo (or may be even mono). With a AVR one can use dolby prologic to convert stereo to 5.1 but its does not sound very good.

Quote:
How is the DTH audio quality on a 5.1 HT system? At the moment I am on DishTV DTH but I might switch to Videocon HD DTH in the near future.
I think Tatasky, and may be Airtel and D2H provide true 5.1 sound. My above is my feedback for tatasky.
Quote:

Perhaps I will include AVR in my wish list.
If I buy an XBOX, then I don't need DVD/ BR player. What will the AVR offer in that case to me?
AVRs role will be for
1. switching between multiple devices
2. decoding and amplifying sound (or passing it to output if one does not want to listen to AVR speakers)
3. passing the video (as it is OR processed) to its output

Quote:

How much does the "low price one" cost? How much power does it consume?
I assume it come with all the 5.1 speakers. I will prefer India warranty.

Rant: All this due to the inferior quality speakers on the GT50.
Low price ones start from approx 18K with 5.1 speakers for the brands I had mentioned. Max Power consumption should be in the range 200-300W.

I agree with speaker quality of the TV but only for HD movies, music. Otherwise I find it sufficient on my VT20 even for HD channels with fake sounding 5.1.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks