Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 01:46   #6136
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

I do not have any experience with Samsung plasmas except for the following bits of information from the hifi forum

1. The price for the model quoted by you were cut by nearly 30% in the recent past so get comparative quotes.
2. The PS51E8000 is supposed to be more power hungry than the Panasonic so do check the specifications.

The Samsung model above is from the 8 series which is their top of line and the Panasonic ST is 3rd in hierarchy after the VT & the GT series, so the 8 series might be better in PQ.

As for the free gift of printer (common for Panasonic plasmas) you can either encash it or opt for something else depending on how accommodating your dealer is. I am currently negotiating for a 42GT50 with the printer exchanged partly for a rice cooker and rest cash. BTW, If this does not work for me, I am going to pick up a Sharp 830 series LED panel.

Coming to the warranty from Panasonic, no need to fret regarding the same. I too never sent the second portion of the card to them, yet I have had my panel's I/O board replaced under warranty. All you need to do is talk to the customer service & then email them the relevant details like model, details of purchase, panel serial number etc etc & your contact details(CS no. & email id is available on Panasonic's web page) and they will send you an email confirming your warranty period. Save that mail for future usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Folks, 2 queries:
1. This is for a friend who is looking to buy a Plasma and trying to decide between Samsung PS51E8000 and Panasonic TH-P50ST50D. The Samsung is available for ~ 90k (MRP 100k), with 4 3D glasses and also a Samsung 7" tab free.

Not sure what deals (home theater/laser printer?) are available with the Panasonic. Any idea about the freebies and the best pricing for the Panasonic ?

Which one is better ?

Maybe @Khoj, @VW2010 can help with this.

2. @VW2010 - A question on the 1+2 warranty. I bought a P42ST30D in march this year and the dealer gave me the warranty card mentioning 1+2 yrs but I just realised it also says I need to mail the card to Panasonic within 7 days of purchase I don't think my product is registered, can I send a scanned copy to them by email ? Please let me know the email id to send this to.
Old 6th November 2012, 08:03   #6137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Folks, 2 queries:
1. This is for a friend who is looking to buy a Plasma and trying to decide between Samsung PS51E8000 and Panasonic TH-P50ST50D. The Samsung is available for ~ 90k (MRP 100k), with 4 3D glasses and also a Samsung 7" tab free.

I had these two finalized before going with Panasonic. There are no major differences but the Panasonic wins the race between these two in PQ and the sole reason of a plasma. The ST series is the best bang for the buck tv. Though VT and GT series are the top line series from Panasonic the differences between VT/GT and ST are actually minimal for a normal user.

Secondly i had no doubts that if it was a plasma it was a panasonic and Samsung came into the race because of the features it had and at the time i got it the price differences was close to 45 thousand between Samsung and Pana. But now i am not sure if i would have chosen the pana if the price of Samsung is just 90k.

Both are very good TV's, very excellent picture quality and the samsung will have a slightly brigther picture than Pana.

Remember both the TV's are 50+ inch. The cable/dth connectivity, if poor, the video quality would be shocking. The moment a HD feed hits the TV the PQ just changes to absolutely stunning images.

I play a lot of Uncharted and i can say the difference between HDMI and video in is not just huge, but tremendrously huge.

Pana, i have not felt or seen any retention of image even after game play.

You will not go wrong with both. The difference is minimal and i am slightly in favor of samsung for the package you are getting.

Samsung - 90K + 4 glasses, Camera with touch remote, Smart features with DLNA and good support, 7inch Tab.

Pana - 1L, 2 Glasses and may be a printer.

Between the two, pick the samsung. More bang for the buck at this point.
Old 7th November 2012, 11:25   #6138
Senior - BHPian

I might soon be looking for BIG TV for building a movie room, the biggest that i have seen is 70 inches and is an LED.

I looked at a few options and was confused if buying a BIG TV would be better or buying a media projector would give me better viewing experience (especially when it comes to movies). Anyone has any experiences to share with projectors and has done some comparison with TV's?

The current 50 inch will serve as Tata Sky TV viewing.
Old 7th November 2012, 11:31   #6139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806
I might soon be looking for BIG TV for building a movie room, the biggest that i have seen is 70 inches and is an LED.

I looked at a few options and was confused if buying a BIG TV would be better or buying a media projector would give me better viewing experience (especially when it comes to movies). Anyone has any experiences to share with projectors and has done some comparison with TV's?

A word of caution, maybe you evaluated this risk but still worth mentioning. We purchased a sharp 85 inch screen for our noc center and it was a very heavy one. Our architect had to reinforce the wall with 2 solid steel rod, each 5 inch thick. I suggest you get the wall evaluated by a good engineer before plonking a heavy screen. More so when it's an apartment.
Old 7th November 2012, 12:26   #6140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
A word of caution, maybe you evaluated this risk but still worth mentioning. We purchased a sharp 85 inch screen for our noc center and it was a very heavy one.
Thanks, i did the research. That must be plasma hence heavier, for NOC as its constant use Plasma's are suited more. LED's are much much lighter. Also our use will not be as huge that would require a plasma, plus beyond 50 inches plasma consumes a lot of power.
Old 7th November 2012, 13:00   #6141
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806

Dont think about getting such a big TV.
Provided you are going to use it for movie viewing only, i suppose you would dim the lights anyway.

Go for a projector. The screen size can be as big as you want, the only limitation being size of your wall.
Not to forget, the great money you would be saving. A good full hd projector would be nearly a lakh. That is very less compared to the going rate for big LED tv's
Old 8th November 2012, 15:23   #6142
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if this is a good TV, but based on the price, I can say it is a good offer.

TV: Samsung UA46D6600WR 46 inches 3D LED TV

Site: http://www.futurebazaar.com/samsung-...?ref=clearance

Use Discount code: LOOT25.

You should get 25% discount. The final price should be around Rs. 75000.

Please write back if this helps someone.
Old 12th November 2012, 22:20   #6143
BHPian

hi all,
I am on the lookout for a big TV and after all the homework I've decided (as the likes of many other on this forum, thanks mates!) Pana 50ST50(Rs.102000/-), so I visit brandshop in Jayanagr, Bangalore a month back only to find model out of stock... been told stock are arriving next month! i.e December. Is this the case elsewhere as well? my thinking was they'd pile up stocks for the festive season. The guy is offering me an alternative 65VT30 for about 2 lakhs (original price upwards of 2.8L) throwing in the printer that's in the offing for Diwali. 65' incher would be oversize for my drawing room of 12 X 27 size. Budget is not a constraint, but I believe VT30 is 2 year old model, and with VT50 launched in US already, do not want to be one to clear their inventory. I tried to move up to GT50, but no stocks, he'd loads of 42"ers. People on forum who've managed to get, were you just plain lucky or you had to armtwist? Any expert help is appreciated...
Old 12th November 2012, 23:22   #6144
Senior - BHPian

^ You are right. Even I'm facing the same issue. I wish to buy GT50 or ST50 but I'm told by Pana shops that due to extremely high demand, both these models are out of stock. They appear to be fully imported ones and Pana India has placed orders with Japan. However, it will take 8-10 weeks for the units to arrive.
Old 13th November 2012, 00:47   #6145
Senior - BHPian

Guys looking for Pana. Dont go to Panasonic. Try Vivek's in chennai or other such multi brand showrooms.

They have these TV in stock. I picked my from Kerala and shipped it to Chennai

Shipping came in two days. Paid around 2K for shipping which was perfectly fine for i was without a tv when i placed the order in our first floor
Old 13th November 2012, 01:27   #6146
Senior - BHPian

Looking to decide between the 42GT50 @81K and the Sony HX850 @90K.

Plasma vs LED
known great PQ vs Claimed great PQ
Lower to Purchase vs Higher price upfront
More expensive to run vs economical to run

It's like

Petrol engine vs Diesel engine
Old 13th November 2012, 09:08   #6147
BHPian

My parents picked up a Samsung LED 39 Inch last week
Model :UA39EH5003R http://www.cromaretail.com/Samsung-U...14710-739.aspx

There is one issue with the TV, randomly a black vertical patch appears on the screen, it moves from left to right. Or it appears mid screen moves horizontally to the left then disappears.

Characteristics of this problem
- We are not able to replicate the problem at will.
- It suddenly appears, sometimes after 15min sometimes after 3hrs
- Once it appears, changing the video source between channels/ USB / DVD has no effect on it, the patch is consistent (So we are ruling out a problem with the video feed)
- The vertical patch is not consistent it moves from left to right

It looks something like this image, except that its Vertical.

Anyone faced the similar issue and what did you do ?

We are yet to lodge a complaint with Samsung Support.

Thanks
Fillmore.

Last edited by Fillmore : 13th November 2012 at 09:14.
Old 13th November 2012, 09:22   #6148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore
My parents picked up a Samsung LED 39 Inch last week
Model :UA39EH5003R http://www.cromaretail.com/Samsung-U...14710-739.aspx

There is one issue with the TV, randomly a black vertical patch appears on the screen, it moves from left to right. Or it appears mid screen moves horizontally to the left then disappears.

Characteristics of this problem
- We are not able to replicate the problem at will.
- It suddenly appears, sometimes after 15min sometimes after 3hrs
- Once it appears, changing the video source between channels/ USB / DVD has no effect on it, the patch is consistent (So we are ruling out a problem with the video feed)
- The vertical patch is not consistent it moves from left to right

It looks something like this image, except that its Vertical.

Anyone faced the similar issue and what did you do ?

We are yet to lodge a complaint with Samsung Support.

Thanks
Fillmore.
Better lodge a complaint fast as its a brand new tv. It would be great if you can reproduce in front of technical ppl

I too wanted to pick this in ezone but didn't like the placement of usb at the back
Old 13th November 2012, 09:56   #6149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Better lodge a complaint fast as its a brand new tv. It would be great if you can reproduce in front of technical ppl

I too wanted to pick this in ezone but didn't like the placement of usb at the back
Lodged a complaint , awaiting the course of action.
btw, for the USB placement at the back I have connected a USB extension cable similar to this one and left it hanging. That solves the accessibility issue.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/USB-Extension...-/180982813033
Old 13th November 2012, 10:48   #6150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Guys looking for Pana. Dont go to Panasonic. Try Vivek's in chennai or other such multi brand showrooms.

They have these TV in stock. I picked my from Kerala and shipped it to Chennai

Shipping came in two days. Paid around 2K for shipping which was perfectly fine for i was without a tv when i placed the order in our first floor
Thanks a lot, will try Vivek's I did try Reliance digital though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks