Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2013, 12:53   #6646
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
....Always believed that lcd/led max power consumption measurement would be with all of the lights simply switched on white screen or otherwise, bulbs/diodes after all. ...
Ha ha, and it does come as a surprize that LCD/LED TVs consume the most on a fully black screen!
However the difference between max and min is very small for full black to full white screen on these sets.
Old 15th April 2013, 10:33   #6647
BHPian

Friends, I am planing to buy a 3D LED TV. I have shortlisted couple of them listed below

1. Sony KDL-40HX850
2. Sony KDL-40HX750
3. Samsung UA40F7500BR
4. Samsung UA40F6800AR

I Already own Samsung 32" LCD, which I purchased 6 years back. Touchwood I am fine with its performance. I am inclined towards Samsung but home minister says Sony. Can you please help me in finalizing one.
Old 15th April 2013, 10:53   #6648
Distinguished - BHPian

@coolbareilly I bought a Samsung 6 series 3d tv recently and while the picture quality and most other things are good, the accessibility of the ports is a royal pain especially when you wall mount the unit. Also there is no RCA out for audio, just optical sound outs which is a pain to integrate with old school home theater. If you can live with these, it is a great set.
Old 15th April 2013, 11:26   #6649
Senior - BHPian

coolbareilly in hot Dilli, listen to your home minister get the the#1 listed tv in your own post and continue to maintain cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbareilly View Post
1. Sony KDL-40HX850
I am inclined towards Samsung but home minister says Sony. Can you please help me in finalizing one.
Old 15th April 2013, 11:40   #6650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbareilly View Post
Friends, I am planing to buy a 3D LED TV. I have shortlisted couple of them listed below

1. Sony KDL-40HX850
2. Sony KDL-40HX750
3. Samsung UA40F7500BR
4. Samsung UA40F6800AR

I Already own Samsung 32" LCD, which I purchased 6 years back. Touchwood I am fine with its performance. I am inclined towards Samsung but home minister says Sony. Can you please help me in finalizing one.
Can you wait for a few more weeks?
By then Samsung, LG and Sony should have their 2013 lineup in stores.

Edit: Since the missus is so inclined on Sony, do have a look at the new features in the 2013 models. An example is already on Sony India website. It is just a matter of time before the other models are released.
http://www.sony.co.in/product/kdl-32w650a

Last edited by S_U_N : 15th April 2013 at 11:44.
Old 15th April 2013, 18:46   #6651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
Can you please give us the details about your TV as I am going to buy the same in near future.
Please PM me the details you're looking for. Basic ones - It is 51 inches, Plasma Full HD 3D TV - 8 series - Model number E8000.

It comes with built in Wifi, Skype, YouTube and numerous other applications. All work like a charm.

Has motion control and voice control - just okay and meant for Show-off only - hence a total waste for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Fiest, I am a plasma lover myself and am zeroing in on same model. The 5 series one. Which series is yours? Actually I would love to buy a 55-60 inch plasma but next stop in Samsung is 64 inch which is close to 2L. I wish we had a 55-60 inch plasma available here.

Also, you said picture quality on HD channels on HD STB is excellent. That is good. But what about pic quality of non-HD channels on HD STB. How are they?
Hey Sagar,

Mine is a 8 Series - 51 inches. I also wanted to buy a 55 inch but as you said, next stop is 64 inches -which crossed my budget by leaps and bounds.

Yes, the HD channels are mind blowing and the non-HD channels are also much better than a SD STB. Reason - using a HD set top box, you will connect to your TV using a HDMI cable which transfers the voice and video better. Buying a HD TV is only worth if you're planning to upgrade to HD STB. If that's not the case, you will be a little disappointed.

I was not really planning to buy a TV right now, was in fact hunting for a Tab to give as a gift to my Dad on Diwali. Just then the offer came on Samsung products - I got a Samsung Tab2 P3100 free with this TV worth 20k that time around. Bargained hard on the TV price too - they were quoting 95K and got it for 87K finally - by faking around a little bit.

I had to buy the tab anyway and was zeroing in on the same model which I got free. This TV for 67K seems to be a cracker of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@coolbareilly I bought a Samsung 6 series 3d tv recently and while the picture quality and most other things are good, the accessibility of the ports is a royal pain especially when you wall mount the unit. Also there is no RCA out for audio, just optical sound outs which is a pain to integrate with old school home theater. If you can live with these, it is a great set.
Exactly - noopster right on the money. This problem is present in all their models, once mounted, it is really hard to reach for the ports. I was also doing some experiments with my old Intex 4.1 speakers and planned to hook them to the TV's audio out, but there is only optical out. To do that, I will have to buy an optical to digital audio converter which is arnd 2.2k. Doesn;t seem like a good idea right now.

If you just want the TV channel's sound into your external speakers, you could use the STB's RCA outputs to go into the speaker instead. It works beautifully for me. I have a problem only when I want to watch a movie on the TV using a USB drive - can't get the audio from there.

I have a question for everyone - I tried using a HDMI cable to connect my laptop to the TV and run the movie from the laptop and output of the laptop to the speakers simultaneously. Once we go into video sharing mode on laptop, the laptop's sound goes off. I can only hear the sound from TV - is it possible in any way that I can get sound from the laptop too which can power my external speakers ?

Last edited by Fiest@DuraTec : 15th April 2013 at 19:00.
Old 15th April 2013, 19:06   #6652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post

Please PM me the details you're looking for. Basic ones - It is 51 inches, Plasma Full HD 3D TV - 8 series - Model number E8000.
I have been looking for the same model in Chennai. I have searched almost all the shops and gave a call to known sources too but nowhere I get this model.
I had posted here already for the help to buy this model.
Any pointers in this regard is much appreciated.
Old 16th April 2013, 10:10   #6653
BHPian

last week i got Sony LED 32EX340 for my parents. requirement was size strictly below 32''.
i went to reliance digital and compared Samsung 32'' LED 5 series tv and LG 32'' LED along with Sony LED 32EX340 side by side.
i outright rejected Panasonic LED as picture quality was worst of the lot after i was it in the same showroom.
i found Samsung and LG colors soft and picture less sharp in comparison to Sony.
i played with different settings in all 3 TVs but Sony was best package.
1. Samsung and LG colors were soft, Sony colors were more accurate and bright with different settings.
3. Samsung and LG picture sharpness was less in comparison to Sony. tried playing with different settings.
3. Samsung and LG had all the ports back wall facing, while Sony had important ports side facing which is much more convenient to access.
4. Sony was skype compatible with add on camera available for 4.5k. Samsung and LG smart tv which is skype compatible were 5k more expensive than Sony.

i got this Sony model for 36k and free wallmount worth of 3k.
this Sony model is HD ready (screen resolution 1366 x 768)
All these comparison models were HD ready.

Note: i didn't consider plasma TVs as i couldn't find size less than 42''.
Old 16th April 2013, 12:38   #6654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I have been looking for the same model in Chennai. I have searched almost all the shops and gave a call to known sources too but nowhere I get this model.
I had posted here already for the help to buy this model.
Any pointers in this regard is much appreciated.
You could try out the Samsung e-store on the company's website. Choose Plasma TV's from the list of products and click 'Buy from e-store'. I checked the availability in chennai and it says out of stock - however there is an option to keep a track on the stock using the 'Notify Me' option, which can be seen in the screenshot below.

Here's the link : https://www.samsungindiaestore.com/P...1E8000_51E8000

If you're too keen on this model, probably talk to Samsung Customer Care. I found them to be very sharp, keen on helping the customer and punctual.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-51e8000.png  

Last edited by Fiest@DuraTec : 16th April 2013 at 12:41. Reason: Updating the post with link.
Old 16th April 2013, 13:03   #6655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You could try out the Samsung e-store on the company's website. Choose Plasma TV's from the list of products and click 'Buy from e-store'. I checked the availability in chennai and it says out of stock - however there is an option to keep a track on the stock using the 'Notify Me' option, which can be seen in the screenshot below.

Here's the link : https://www.samsungindiaestore.com/P...1E8000_51E8000

If you're too keen on this model, probably talk to Samsung Customer Care. I found them to be very sharp, keen on helping the customer and punctual.
Thanx, I have already done it and waiting for the Notification
I have asked some of the friends in other state capitals to enquire this model in Stores. But no where it's in stock.
I have given my numbers to some of the famous stores in Chennai requesting them to give a call once it's available and same for PANA GT50.
Old 16th April 2013, 14:49   #6656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey Sagar,

Mine is a 8 Series - 51 inches. I also wanted to buy a 55 inch but as you said, next stop is 64 inches -which crossed my budget by leaps and bounds.

Yes, the HD channels are mind blowing and the non-HD channels are also much better than a SD STB. Reason - using a HD set top box, you will connect to your TV using a HDMI cable which transfers the voice and video better. Buying a HD TV is only worth if you're planning to upgrade to HD STB. If that's not the case, you will be a little disappointed.

I was not really planning to buy a TV right now, was in fact hunting for a Tab to give as a gift to my Dad on Diwali. Just then the offer came on Samsung products - I got a Samsung Tab2 P3100 free with this TV worth 20k that time around. Bargained hard on the TV price too - they were quoting 95K and got it for 87K finally - by faking around a little bit.

I had to buy the tab anyway and was zeroing in on the same model which I got free. This TV for 67K seems to be a cracker of a deal.
Wow! 67k for an 8 series 51-incher is the best deal your money can get. I am picking one this month-end. Samsung has this offer on 64" 8-series plasma-- 1.97 L. Now that is way beyond my budget, too, for a TV. How I wish they had something in between 51 and 64.

BTW, my next question is, how is the heat? One salesman scared me. He said it generates tremendous heat. Is it true? Although I have an option of mounting on wall or on a wooden table in front of window ( good for heat dissipation ), I would prefer wall mounting as that wall is opposite to my couch.

And, how is power consumption? Is it abnormally high? Does the owner's manual specify power consumption?

And, last but not the least, I have old western DVDs. Will they come out good on 51? Grain-free?
Old 16th April 2013, 16:25   #6657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I recently bought a Samsung 3D Plasma Full HD 51 inches -
When did you buy the 51E8000? Which month? Diwali?

@aks_karthik: I think the stock sold out before December. You will not get it anywhere.

Last edited by S_U_N : 16th April 2013 at 16:27.
Old 16th April 2013, 16:32   #6658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@aks_karthik: I think the stock sold out before December. You will not get it anywhere.
Then i have to wait for Samsung "F" series or Panasonic 2013 models.
Hope, Both will be available by May 13.
Old 16th April 2013, 17:36   #6659
Senior - BHPian

^Don't know about Panasonic, but Samsung is very aggressive. The 64 inch F series is already out on their website.
http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/t...PS64F8500ARLXL

Contact local Samsung guys and ask for availability of that one first. Then ask for the 51 inch availability.
Old 16th April 2013, 18:07   #6660
BHPian

Quote:
Wow! 67k for an 8 series 51-incher is the best deal your money can get. I am picking one this month-end. Samsung has this offer on 64" 8-series plasma-- 1.97 L. Now that is way beyond my budget, too, for a TV. How I wish they had something in between 51 and 64.
Yep, it was a quick decision. Saw the ad in the morning, started checking the prices by evening - researched for a couple of hours in the evening and booked it next day purely based on the reviews and the great deal I was offered. Its totally worth.

Quote:
BTW, my next question is, how is the heat? One salesman scared me. He said it generates tremendous heat. Is it true? Although I have an option of mounting on wall or on a wooden table in front of window ( good for heat dissipation ), I would prefer wall mounting as that wall is opposite to my couch.

And, how is power consumption? Is it abnormally high? Does the owner's manual specify power consumption?

And, last but not the least, I have old western DVDs. Will they come out good on 51? Grain-free?
Heat is not a problem, it runs around 8 hours a day easily(family is here these days). I have accessed the ports at the back of the panel many a times after long running hours and never found it an issue, will notice closely though and update.

Power consumption is high but the bills don't suggest so. The manual has the ratings specified, will check and let u know.
Edit - just checked the website, it says 198 watts which is pretty high compared to my old gen LCD. The power bill was high this time only(due to some extra charges for everyone here in hyd) - but not in the last 4 months when I was using it.

Not an expert on these things but old dvd's might not come out very good on this, but take a good DVD/blu ray version of any new movie and you will be bowled over. Avengers, The Dark Knight etc for instance are a treat to watch.

Quote:
When did you buy the 51E8000? Which month? Diwali?

I purchased it on November 7th, a few days before Diwali and got the tab 2 weeks later through courier. Yes the stock is short and this model doesn't seem discontinued yet - its still on their website. I remember this model was in a lot of demand at that time too and wasn't launched long ago.

Quote:
^Don't know about Panasonic, but Samsung is very aggressive. The 64 inch F series is already out on their website.
http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/t...PS64F8500ARLXL

Contact local Samsung guys and ask for availability of that one first. Then ask for the 51 inch availability.
The 64 incher is very costly - for the 8 series it was close to 2 lakhs. F series will be costlier without doubt. I think in a few days time 8 series 51 incher will become available - just keep checking. F series might be introduced in 55 inches as well along with 51 - but most probably, will be above 1L - just my prediction.

Edit - F Series looks stunning.

Last edited by Fiest@DuraTec : 16th April 2013 at 18:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks