Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2013, 19:28   #6661
Senior - BHPian

I am religiously looking the site every day. I prefer 51 or 55 inches. More than 55 inches will be crossing 2 Lakhs easily.
Panasonic is the another contender.
Otherwise I'll go for usual Sony makes. HX 850 or HX 925 from Arab or Eastern countries. But need to work with Customs to clear it at airport.
Max amount I planned for TV is 1.5 Lakhs.
Lesser the better as I will redirect the remaining amount to buy a good Sound System. Denon AV with Polk Speakers.
Old 16th April 2013, 23:22   #6662
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post

I purchased it on November 7th, a few days before Diwali and got the tab 2 weeks later through courier. Yes the stock is short and this model doesn't seem discontinued yet - its still on their website. I remember this model was in a lot of demand at that time too and wasn't launched long ago.
Yes. Still on the website, but long out of stock. Not heard of anyone able to get this after December.

The 64 incher is very costly - for the 8 series it was close to 2 lakhs. F series will be costlier without doubt. [/quote]
The new 64" F-series is around 2.09 lac.
Old 22nd April 2013, 13:57   #6663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

You will not get 2012 series models from Panasonic anymore. 2013 models are expected in India by May (next month). I suggest wait for a month and then checkout the ST60 from Panasonic. Pricing details will be shared after 15 April.
Meanwhile, check with Samsung when the new 8 series will be available.
Spoke w/ the local dealer here in Delhi and they are clueless about st60 series. Could you check with yours..? Thanks!
Old 22nd April 2013, 14:08   #6664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbops1 View Post
I am in the process of Finalizing between 2 Plasmas -
01. Panasonic TH-P65ST50D - Rs.190K + 4 3D Glasses
02. Samsung PS64E8000GRLXL - Rs.176K
Did some browsing on the net and found both the sets are equally well rated by critics.
Planning to go for one by next weekend. Will appreciate any input from all of you....
Hi,
1) Could you share the details of the dealer for 65st50 who gave you the quote for 190k?
2) This quote was post some bargaining or you feel there is some give (maybe) in there.
3) So did you buy one of the two and if yes then could you share the details.

I ask these questions as we are considering 65st50 as well. Any input from your end will be appreciated.
Thanks...
Old 22nd April 2013, 17:25   #6665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowardly Lion View Post
Spoke w/ the local dealer here in Delhi and they are clueless about st60 series. Could you check with yours..? Thanks!
Dealers are clueless.
Talk to regional manager at Panasonic in your area.

12 May 2013: Launch/ press conference in New Delhi.

20 May (approx.): Available with brand shops.
Old 22nd April 2013, 19:20   #6666
Senior - BHPian

Didn't quite understand this. What's there to work ? You import the tv, pay the duty, get it home. Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Otherwise I'll go for usual Sony makes. HX 850 or HX 925 from Arab or Eastern countries. But need to work with Customs to clear it at airport.
Old 23rd April 2013, 09:29   #6667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Didn't quite understand this. What's there to work ? You import the tv, pay the duty, get it home. Simple
Paying Duty is the main constraint in Chennai Customs. Customs Officers demands are very wage on Duty Fee. Need to work out with him and pay the same. I have faced it umpteen times. We need to calculate the Tax professionally before paying the Tax with the Original Bill value. Otherwise we could pay more. They simply ask us to pay some amount on seeing the TV baggage/Size/ The person
Old 23rd April 2013, 21:43   #6668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
... before paying the Tax with the Original Bill value. ....
Original bill value?
There is no such thing!
Many people get under-invoiced goods and claim the price is genuine.
The Customs Rule is that if the price on your bill is much less than the reference price that Customs have you have to produce a newspaper ad, or similar, to prove that the item was offered to the general public at that low price.
Old 23rd April 2013, 21:51   #6669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Original bill value?
There is no such thing!
Many people get under-invoiced goods and claim the price is genuine.
The Customs Rule is that if the price on your bill is much less than the reference price that Customs have you have to produce a newspaper ad, or similar, to prove that the item was offered to the general public at that low price.

True, they know every model price and knows better than us.
I have already brought some 5-6 LCD/LED ranging 32-46 inches, Sound Systems and Cameras including SLRs from east as well as Arab to Chennai and having good rapport/support from customs people.
To me, if we are genuine to them we could even come out without paying single bucks and it happened to me too.
Again everything lies on our fate on that day.
Old 25th April 2013, 12:49   #6670
BHPian

Bought Samsung 40F5100 LED last month. After a few days I see a permanent black vertical line about 2 pixel wide appearing on the right side of the screen. Reported to Samsung customer care. They checked it and declared it due to the fault in the panel. Samsung replaced the TV yesterday, i.e. within 2 weeks of logging the online complaint. Quite happy with their customer care. Also feeling happy because initially I was also contemplating if I should save 17K by buying it from ebay(Thailand imported stuff). Don't know if this should be a reason for being skeptical about Samsung's hardware quality in future.

Last edited by huntrz : 25th April 2013 at 12:50.
Old 25th April 2013, 14:13   #6671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Don't know if this should be a reason for being skeptical about Samsung's hardware quality in future.
Nothing to be skeptical about, other brands have also failed in similar way. Apparently large panel displays are technologically more susceptible to failure than CRT. Just my thought.
Old 29th April 2013, 15:29   #6672
BHPian

Hi guys,
I had asked some of you to give your opinion on eBay shopping and a particular Samsung model (40 inch 6 Series) a month back. So this is just an update. I went to KL to watch the Malaysian GP last month and decided to pick the TV from there itself. It was a Samsung UA40ES5600 model, Full HD Smart with a wifi dongle. The bill cost was less than 32k and considering eBay was retailing at 46k back then for the same tv, I feel it's a good deal. Although I paid more than 2k to the airlines as anything above 38in is considered oversized baggage.

I have been using it with Tata Sky Plus and overall very satisfied with the image quality you can expect from a non-plasma TV. Six HD and ESPN HD is rocking. Although non-HD channels look terrible, I presume it's due to stretch to fit option I have chosen for them. Smart options are not really a pleasant experience, probably it would improve with this year's hardware. I wanted a backup device for Skype and this job it does perfectly.

I have some difficulty with it in connecting it to my old Sony HT system. The HT system seem to have skipped on optical audio port and has only one HDMI out port. So I am unable to connect my TV to the system and have instead connected my set-top box to HT with a component AV cable

Is there some kind of converter available to fix this, as I watch movies out of USB plugged into my TV and want a Dolby out from my HT?
I am also considering upgrading to a better one, if so can anyone recommend a decent system for below 40k(I don't need a BRDVD player)

Cheers,
D
Old 29th April 2013, 16:04   #6673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
Hi guys,
Is there some kind of converter available to fix this, as I watch movies out of USB plugged into my TV and want a Dolby out from my HT?
I am also considering upgrading to a better one, if so can anyone recommend a decent system for below 40k(I don't need a BRDVD player)

Cheers,
D
I am facing the same problem. These new TV's have an optical out these days and yes, there is a converter available called as the 'Optical to Analog Audio' converter. It is close to 2K on ebay but I thought hard and decided not to go for it.

There were basically 2 reasons -
1. These converters are not of any specific brand and I really don't know if I can trust them. In another 4-5K these days, I think you can get a decent HT system which would be a nice addition.
2. I would be using it only when watching a movie on TV via USB. For the TV channel's output, I simply connected my 4.1 speaker system through the RCA cables to me STB directly, pretty happy until now.

I am trying to work on playing the movie on laptop, connecting it via HDMI to the TV and laptop's audio out on my speakers. I think I have a solution, need to check if it works.
Old 29th April 2013, 17:40   #6674
BHPian

At what price can i get a Panasonic 42ST50 in delhi?
Old 29th April 2013, 18:36   #6675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
I am facing the same problem. These new TV's have an optical out these days and yes, there is a converter available called as the 'Optical to Analog Audio' converter. It is close to 2K on ebay but I thought hard and decided not to go for it.
Thanks for your input fiest@duratec,
Will check the Optical to Analog converter, but does anyone have any clue whether you can still get proper 5.1 output out of them? my guess would be, no.
Although I will take anything closer as a compromise for spending 40k and to dispose of my sparsely used HT system.

Quote:
I am trying to work on playing the movie on laptop, connecting it via HDMI to the TV and laptop's audio out on my speakers. I think I have a solution, need to check if it works.
I used to do this with my previous TV, As in laptop HDMI out to TV and pair a Nokia BT receiver for audio out and in-turn connect it to Aux-in of the HT. Long setup but used to work.

cheers,
D

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks