Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2014, 12:46   #7216
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
In the market for a LED Tv, 40 or 42 inches, preferably a Smart TV.

Saw the Sony W700B 42". Liked it quite a lot.

Any other recommendations/suggestions in the Samsung or LG world?
Bought this last week . Costs 67,900 INR , but got it for 59,600 INR in bangalore .

We didnt need a 3D TV and hence were also looking at the LG 5710 and the 5500 series from Samsung .
Old 28th February 2014, 13:20   #7217
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

What's the difference between Full HD & HD ready? I read someplace that you get a HD TV only if the screen is 42" or more? What about a 39-40 incher? Will Full HD make a difference? Also what exactly is a LED TV?

Last edited by carboy : 28th February 2014 at 13:21.
Old 28th February 2014, 14:04   #7218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What's the difference between Full HD & HD ready? I read someplace that you get a HD TV only if the screen is 42" or more? What about a 39-40 incher? Will Full HD make a difference? Also what exactly is a LED TV?
Full HD = Resolution of 1920x1080
HD Ready = 1366x768

In the age of 'Retina displays' higher the resolution, the better.

Would it make a difference? Depends on your viewing distance.

LED TV = LCD TV with LED backlighting. LED TV is just a marketing term. The advantage it offers is darker black/greys.
Old 28th February 2014, 14:07   #7219
Senior - BHPian

@carboy: It is best if you do a side-by-side compare of HD-ready and Full-HD TV's in a store for the same content and from the same distance.
If you are going to watch standard definition from your set-top-box, then perhaps Full HD screen won't give you any more detail from 8 feet away on a 40" TV.
Old 3rd March 2014, 12:03   #7220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Bought this last week . Costs 67,900 INR , but got it for 59,600 INR in bangalore .

We didnt need a 3D TV and hence were also looking at the LG 5710 and the 5500 series from Samsung .
Hi Speedsatya,

I too looked at 42" Sony LED and this very model. They gave me an offer of Rs.64000. Where did you buy it so cheap? Any help would be of great help.

Thanks,
Ramki

Last edited by ramki067 : 3rd March 2014 at 12:11.
Old 3rd March 2014, 12:08   #7221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi Speedsatya,

I too looked at 42" Song LED and this very model. They gave me an offer of Rs.64000. Where did you buy it so cheap? Any help would be of great help.

Thanks,
Ramki
The easiest way is call up JustDial and you will have so many sellers call you up and offer "good" rates

I also heard that there are many sellers who sell " seconds" products at lower rates . While I had 2 of them offer me similar rates , I will PM you more details.
Old 3rd March 2014, 16:58   #7222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The easiest way is call up JustDial and you will have so many sellers call you up and offer "good" rates ...
Wow, good idea! (Of course it can become a nuisance).

Quote:
... there are many sellers who sell " seconds" products at lower rates . ...
Brick and mortar stores or the eBay kind?

What is "seconds" in this context? Body damage etc.?
Old 3rd March 2014, 18:05   #7223
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please share the seller/shop details with me as well? I am planning for a new TV - and this would be of great help. I am more interested in W650.

I hope this is a brand new unused TV, right?
Old 3rd March 2014, 18:14   #7224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Shop soiled - display pieces. Once had a dealer send an resealed (brown tape) box, which immediately aroused suspicions. Upon opening the box, we could clearly see marks on the back - probably scratches from the wall mount installation. Promptly sent it back, and got a new manufacturer sealed unit.
Old 4th March 2014, 10:58   #7225
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

I started to see the symptoms of bad optical block on my 3LCD rear projection TV, Sony Bravia (KF-55E200A). I see the yellow tint sometimes over the white text. I understand this may be because of the bad optical block that either needs to be replaced or cleaned and see if it was due to dirt or something, since its been 6+ years since I bought it, it may be a bad block.
Its surely out of warranty, I have heard that Optical block costs a lot, need to find out with sony how much!
If someone has got any idea on how much it may cost, can you please share! Also, if someone have sony's service center numbers handy, please share, that's next what I'll be hunting for now. Also, this is an outdated model, they will surely do some drama to get the parts/replace it etc it seems.
thanks in advance.
Old 4th March 2014, 17:01   #7226
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

A friend just bought a 39" Onida Full HD LCD TV for 25K. That's a great price - what's the catch - are Onida Panels good? What about the after sales service?
Old 5th March 2014, 11:54   #7227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
Can you please share the seller/shop details with me as well? I am planning for a new TV - and this would be of great help. I am more interested in W650.

I hope this is a brand new unused TV, right?
Yeah this is a brand new piece . I will check the receipt and PM you dealer details. Just call up Justdial and you will have many of them call you up . I bought this from the first guy who called me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Wow, good idea! (Of course it can become a nuisance).

Brick and mortar stores or the eBay kind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
Shop soiled - display pieces. Once had a dealer send an resealed (brown tape) box, which immediately aroused suspicions. Upon opening the box, we could clearly see marks on the back - probably scratches from the wall mount installation. Promptly sent it back, and got a new manufacturer sealed unit.

Correct . "Seconds" might be unused pieces with minor damages ( scratches , dents , ..) . I was told that you might get grey market products at lower rates , but then you dont get the manufacturer warranty.
Old 5th March 2014, 12:57   #7228
BHPian

Quote:
Correct . "Seconds" might be unused pieces with minor damages ( scratches , dents , ..) . I was told that you might get grey market products at lower rates , but then you dont get the manufacturer warranty.
When buying a TV never go with seconds, cause your LED/Plasma panel has a rated running hour life. Over time they tend to get dull and will not reproduce images as bright and colorful as a new one.

So for your bad luck you dont want to end up with a display TV that was kept on for 12 hrs a day over a period of 8-9 months.

But in the case of products like Refrigerators, washing machines etc.. a display piece would be quite fine cause the product was just used for "Display" and never made to run.
Old 6th March 2014, 10:55   #7229
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah this is a brand new piece . I will check the receipt and PM you dealer details. Just call up Justdial and you will have many of them call you up . I bought this from the first guy who called me.

Thanks. Send me when you get that.

Can you also give a quick dump on the TV performance? I love plasmas, so am worried about two things - black level details in dark scenes, and sports motion resolution.
Old 12th March 2014, 16:11   #7230
BHPian

Guys, does anyone have any idea about SAMSUNG 40" 40F5500 FULL HD SMART LED TV ? looking for a cheap smart 40" LED TV for bedroom and this is what i could get.

Most Viewed