Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 10:50   #3541
BHPian

@jaysmokesleaves, take a look at the LG plasmas. LG 42PQ70, piture quality is good, lots of connectivity options, great VFM. Should set you back by about 40-42k. All the best
Old 17th May 2010, 16:58   #3542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Xtremer is a very awesome gadget. It will surely matter if you use FULL HD or HD READY.

Full HD - 1080P (Also depends on how far you are sitting from the screen)
READY HD - 720p (Also depends on how far you are sitting from the screen)
Xtremer - 1080P

So if the screen does not fulfil the Xtremer's requirement, definition change. Same with PS3, DIVX and Blueray disc.
you don't need a full hd panel (1080p) to connect xtremer or ps3, all you need is the tv to support 1080p connectivity.
As long as the tv can take 1080p inputs, does not matter if the panel is 720p or 1080p. and as mentioned before if you are sitting more than 4-5 feet away 720p is sufficient, unless you have super-human eyes
Old 17th May 2010, 17:20   #3543
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
you don't need a full hd panel (1080p) to connect xtremer or ps3, all you need is the tv to support 1080p connectivity.
As long as the tv can take 1080p inputs, does not matter if the panel is 720p or 1080p. and as mentioned before if you are sitting more than 4-5 feet away 720p is sufficient, unless you have super-human eyes
Yeah that's what I meant. The Xtreamer gives an output of 1080p and if you don't have a screen which emits the output at that level what is the use to connecting an Xtremer? You are anyways not getting the full HD output. Seating position matters but in a living room, not so much that too with big screens like 42''
Old 17th May 2010, 19:47   #3544
Senior - BHPian

Xtreamer can output every resolution from 320x240 to 1920x1080.
Old 17th May 2010, 21:26   #3545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah that's what I meant. The Xtreamer gives an output of 1080p and if you don't have a screen which emits the output at that level what is the use to connecting an Xtremer? You are anyways not getting the full HD output. Seating position matters but in a living room, not so much that too with big screens like 42''
42" is not a big screen for that matter. It's quite small actually. And you really don't need a 1080p TV to appreciate 1080p material(say a blu-ray movie) for a screen size of 42" (or even 50"). 720p TV is good enough for smaller screens like 42" for a normal viewing distance of 7-8ft. TRust me when I say that you won't notice any difference between a full HD and HD ready from that distance(7-8ft) on 42" TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Guys. I am ONE month away from buying a LARGE PLASMA for the living room in my new house, and a 32" LCD for my bedroom.
My requirements for the plasma being:
1. Budget of about 75-80 k
2. FULL HD
3. Warranty of 2-3 years and above

I will be connecting all sources to this through my Denon AVR 1910, so even Tata SKY+ will be upscaled on this TV by the receiver.

Please help. From my research, the Panasonic C10, X10 and S10 are the three in reckoning. But I want something LARGER than 46/47" please. So please suggest accordingly.
ONE more question: Will FULL HD and HD READY matter if I am viewing sources like the Xtreamer and PS3?

What about the smaller TV? Samsung Series 4 32" one looks a decent choice, or else I could go for a Panasonic here too, since they offer more warranty,
If you want larger than 47, say a 50" then there is a model from LG, PK550 for less than 70k. You may have a look at it. Panasonic will cost you north of 1Lakh for 50" Full HD. I don't know how much warranty they offer.

As for Standard definition of Tata SKy being upscaled to 1080p, all I can say is that you'd be disappointed most of the time. I think you better even go for HD DTH ;-)

Quote:
PS: the reason why I ask for more warranty is that my Sony W series bravia tv(That cost us Rs. 110,000) conked in the first week after it's one year warranty. It cost us Rs. 34000 to fix the same!! I DONT WANT A SONY, EVER!!!
Hard luck dude, it happens sometimes :-(

Last edited by kaushik_s : 17th May 2010 at 21:37.
Old 18th May 2010, 21:45   #3546
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think you understood what I meant - the bold part above is what I say doesn't matter. Whether the tv emits 1080p or 720p has close to zero effect when you are watching at a distance of 5+ feet on a 42" panel.
What is important is that the tv accepts 1080p inputs.
So to summarize tv emitting 720p is ok with xstreamer or ps3 as long as it can take in (accept and process) 1080p inputs from these devices
Old 18th May 2010, 21:57   #3547
Senior - BHPian

Mate, are you sure the 50PK550 costs 70k????? Why isn't it selling like TOMORROW's NEWSPAPER then?
Old 18th May 2010, 22:13   #3548
BHPian

Quote:
Mate, are you sure the 50PK550 costs 70k????? Why isn't it selling like TOMORROW's NEWSPAPER then?
actually it is just under 70 k in bangalore.
Old 18th May 2010, 22:34   #3549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, the best deal is for 66k as of now (at Hyderabaad) and I guess you may get similar deal at your place too. And also you can have a look at Samsung C550 also. That also should be available in the same range.
And here is one review of the LG, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...8&postcount=88

Last edited by kaushik_s : 18th May 2010 at 22:36.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:06   #3550
Senior - BHPian

An interesting article about display specs and what they really do or dont.
Display Myths Shattered: How Monitor & HDTV Companies Cook Their Specs | Maximum PC

Last edited by srishiva : 19th May 2010 at 12:07.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:17   #3551
BHPian

hi guys I have a budget of Rs.15k and am looking at a decent 26" LCD tv for my bedroom (not particular about full HD). I know that the Panny 26" costs 20k here after discounts and the LG's and Samsungs are in the range of 22-23k.
One of my friends is visiting Malaysia this week and is willing to bring me one from there. I went through the company sites of Panasonic, LG & Samsung in Malaysia and found 19", 22", 32" and above listed but not 26".

Can anyone who's been to Malaysia recently confirm if there are 26" available there ? Model names and prices would help.
Old 20th May 2010, 09:29   #3552
Senior - BHPian

AV cable causing the humming sound in Panasonic LCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I had actually checked the connections and ensured that they are properly mated. Checked at the LCd end as well as at the AV selector end. Will give it a try again. Had even used an electrical contact cleaner.
Regarding the power source they are different and most probably will remain the same since the LCD is mounted on wall whereas the STB is kept along with the Home theatre in a corner unit. Hence two diff power sources, cant change it coz everything now is concealed wiring.
I had got the humming sound checked by a Panasonic tech and found that the AV cable put from the Set top box to the LCD was the issue which was causing the humming sound. When a new cable from STB to LCD was put and checked there was no humming sound. Now I will have to replace the entire cable which is actually concealed. Any suggestions for good AV cable?
BTW Panasonic has a new service centre in Thane and the contact nos are 25379009/65157677 and located on Gokhale Rd near the Kalanidhi Showroom
Old 20th May 2010, 13:03   #3553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Any suggestions for good AV cable?
If you are ok with the fact that even cheaper cables can be really good ones then go for MX cables. And if you buy from their shops you'll get almost 50% discounted price on MRP. They've some good stuff for a great price. If you want to spend lil' bit more then you can try DAC. And in my personal opinion anything costlier (say monster and all) are mostly rip-offs..
Old 20th May 2010, 13:51   #3554
BHPian

Need your valuable suggestions on what would be the best buy in the 42" and above size range.

- Budget: Upto 85K
- 42" or above - More the merrier ;-)
- PQ is of the utmost interest since it will be used as the primary monitor for home theatre. Viewing distance 8-16 Ft
- No interest in SD content via DTH since this would primarily be connected ONLY to an HT-PC or a media player (WDTV) playing mostly 720P & 1080P material.
- No bias towards LCD or Plasma as long as the PQ requirements are met.
- No interest in sound quality from the TV since sound will be routed through a seperate receiver and HT Speakers (7.1)
- No interest in USB/Portable HDD playback or Gaming. Internet connectivity for online widgets would be great though but not a pre-requisite.
- Purchase period: June 2010, but can very well wait for 2-3 months if there are some impending model launches which are worth waiting.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 20th May 2010 at 13:56.
Old 20th May 2010, 23:29   #3555
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Need your valuable suggestions on what would be the best buy in the 42" and above size range.

- Budget: Upto 85K
- 42" or above - More the merrier ;-)
- PQ is of the utmost interest since it will be used as the primary monitor for home theatre. Viewing distance 8-16 Ft
- No interest in SD content via DTH since this would primarily be connected ONLY to an HT-PC or a media player (WDTV) playing mostly 720P & 1080P material.
- No bias towards LCD or Plasma as long as the PQ requirements are met.
- No interest in sound quality from the TV since sound will be routed through a seperate receiver and HT Speakers (7.1)
- No interest in USB/Portable HDD playback or Gaming. Internet connectivity for online widgets would be great though but not a pre-requisite.
- Purchase period: June 2010, but can very well wait for 2-3 months if there are some impending model launches which are worth waiting.
You just missed it buddy. There was a great offer last week with 42'' LED+Home Theatre+Xbox @ 80K

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks