Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2010, 12:17   #3931
BHPian

^^ I did not mean that it consuming more electricity is the only reason why Plasmas are not popular. Unless one really digs into Google they will never come to know about points 1 & 2 you have mentioned above.

My answer was towards a TV which was to be used at home and not 60'' and above. The cost of shipping you have mentioned, does it differ if the products are shipped from SE Asia and other places? because as per my knowledge, even the LCDs are not manufactured in India and rather shipped. Why would the price of shipping a Plasma be more than an LCD?
Old 28th September 2010, 18:23   #3932
Senior - BHPian

^the information was not in argument just an addon.

Plasmas are heavier than LCD units. Cheers!
Old 28th September 2010, 22:37   #3933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post

Do we need to lift them for workouts. just kidding.
Honestly how does it matters if they are a but heavy than the LCD.
btw i had lifted and wall mounted my 42 inch plasma so i can surely say its not heavy.
As for electricity consumption it says 200w. My old lg crt is 130w. So i dont see a lot more power consumption.Also most lcds are nearby.

PQ is definitely better than most lcds i had seen.
Old 29th September 2010, 11:25   #3934
BHPian

Quote:

That sounds like a joke. How does it matter if it is heavier? Is is "shipped" by an "aeroplane"

How are the shipping charges calculated? By weight? or by size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Do we need to lift them for workouts. just kidding.
Honestly how does it matters if they are a but heavy than the LCD.
btw i had lifted and wall mounted my 42 inch plasma so i can surely say its not heavy.
As for electricity consumption it says 200w. My old lg crt is 130w. So i dont see a lot more power consumption.Also most lcds are nearby.

PQ is definitely better than most lcds i had seen.
^^^^ Time for reality check?

LCDs use florescent backlighting to produce images, they require substantially less power to operate than plasma TVs do. LCD displays consume about half the power that plasma displays consume.

The reason: Plasmas use a lot of electricity to light each and every pixel you see on a screen - even the dark ones. Though plasma manufacturers have improved voltage consumption requirements a plasma TV will consume around a third more power for the same size display.

Read for more Plasma TV vs LCD TV - Plasma TV Buying Guide

Last edited by Googleman : 29th September 2010 at 11:28.
Old 29th September 2010, 12:45   #3935
Senior - BHPian

Today I bought Panasonic 42X20D in Pune for 37.5K. Delivery is scheduled today evening.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:14   #3936
BHPian

Quote:
@Nayyar: LED picture is better than LCD TV. In short go in for 5 than 6. Cheers!
Thanks Sn1p3r. What do you have to say about the 40C6900 (6 Series LED). Is it a good product? I seemed to have developed an inclination towards the LED and the 6 series.

Guys, if there is anyone wanting me to warn of it and suggest any other alternative, its now. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:28   #3937
Senior - BHPian

Guys I am not the final authority on freight carrier charges but yes, Plasmas are heavier and need substantially more expensive packaging {The plasma gas filled inside makes the unit quite fragile as compared to LCDs}. And yes sometimes the panels are airlifted for certain countries

@Nayyar: 6 series is an upgrade on 5. But I would rather go with LED5 than LCD6. I bought a Bravia LCD and everyday I point finger on myself.

Summary:
1. The Series 5 sets have Clear Panel Technology while the Series 6 sets have Ultra Clear Panel Technology
2. The Series 6 sets have better contrast compared to Series 5 sets
3. Series 6 models have Movie Plus Technology while Series 5 models doesn’t
4. The Series 6 models have 4 HDMI ports while Series 5 models have 3
5. The speakers on the Series 6 models are down-firing while those on the Series 5 are on the side

Read more: Difference Between Samsung Series 5 and Series 6 | Difference Between | Samsung Series 5 vs Series 6 Difference Between Samsung Series 5 and Series 6 | Difference Between | Samsung Series 5 vs Series 6

I hope this helps.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:38   #3938
BHPian

Quote:
@Nayyar: 6 series is an upgrade on 5. But I would rather go with LED5 than LCD6.
A good suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayyar.rao View Post
Guys, if there is anyone wanting me to warn of it and suggest any other alternative, its now.
There's nothing better than the LED but depends on your requirements. Do remember that LED is a comparatively new technology and expect huge price drops in future.

Best is to quote your requirements here. e.g Size of TV, Room and source of media. Probably then we could suggest you a good option.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:37   #3939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
There's nothing better than the LED
actually that is not true. to this day plasma sets offer the best picture, best black levels along with the best viewing angles. burn in has come a long way where it is not a concern on plasma's for the everyday user. yes it weighs a bit more than lcd's and consumes a bit more power however those things only look impressive on spec sheets and in the real world are insignificant for comparison purposes as differences are not vast with the sets available today.

example: vehicle fuel ratings provided by manufacturers. the 4 cylinder will always look more economical on paper vs. the larger counterparts. take a heavy vehicle in a real world situation, the 4 cylinder will always run out of breath and use more fuel trying to pull around that weight vs. a properly designed 6 or even 8 in some cases.

the only times i've ever really promoted lcd's was if a specific size was needed where a plasma wasn't available or if it was going in a bright room. speaking of bright rooms, lcd's used to use an anti glare glass which they no longer do.

LED is being touted as some sort of new technology (well it is new technology), but a bit misleading in the way it's presented. these sets are still LCD's with LED's added. there are two type's, sets that are edge lit and sets that have local dimming. difference? edge lit is just that. set's such as sony products have led's running around the perimeter of the tv. set's with local dimming have led's across the entire back of the viewing panel.

how does it work? to create darker blacks, area's of a scene which are darker, the led's will turn off in that area while others remain on in other parts. essentially it creates a bit of an illusion.

led is a relatively new technology and definitely better than most if not all lcd sets without the technology. however it does have a way's to go before it can match a plasma. will it get there? in the future anything is possible but i wouldn't be surprised if something new comes out by then anyways.

these days lcd or led is pushed far more simply due to marketing. that doesn't mean it's a better technology, yet. was beta better than vhs? yes, and it died while vhs forged forward. hd dvd better than blu ray? yes, but we still have blu ray today. several other examples in the tech world and we will continue to have similar situations in the future. plasma too will die one day but in my eyes will die a noble death in the fight of picture quality.

pioneer made a phenomenal plasma and i was truly saddened the day they announced they would cease production. i don't think there is a set out there today that could match their quality. they cost more but were worth every penny.
Old 29th September 2010, 16:17   #3940
BHPian

Guys, I picked up a VIERA TH-P42A2S for 688 SGD (~23k) + 2k for excess luggage + 2k for custom hassles.

any good?
Old 29th September 2010, 16:51   #3941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
That sounds like a joke. How does it matter if it is heavier? Is is "shipped" by an "aeroplane"

How are the shipping charges calculated? By weight? or by size?

^^^^ Time for reality check?

LCDs use florescent backlighting to produce images, they require substantially less power to operate than plasma TVs do. LCD displays consume about half the power that plasma displays consume.

The reason: Plasmas use a lot of electricity to light each and every pixel you see on a screen - even the dark ones. Though plasma manufacturers have improved voltage consumption requirements a plasma TV will consume around a third more power for the same size display.

Read for more Plasma TV vs LCD TV - Plasma TV Buying Guide
This use to be a thing of past.
Let me give the reference-
My plasma- Plasma+, beyond all expectations. - PS42C450 - Plasma TV - Television | SAMSUNG
Power-200

Sony LCD-http://www.sony.co.in/product/klv-40ex500
Power-AC 110-240V, 50/60Hz

LG LCD- LG 47 Inch Full HD LCD Television - Model 47LD650 LCD
power- 100-240Vac 50/60Hz

Samsung lcd- An easier way to live a Full HD life - LA40C650 - LCD TV - Television | SAMSUNG
power- AC100 ~ 240V 50/60Hz

And plasmas are always rated higher- LCD TV vs Plasma TV Which is Best? from LCD TV Buying Guide
Old 29th September 2010, 18:40   #3942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post

pioneer made a phenomenal plasma and i was truly saddened the day they announced they would cease production. i don't think there is a set out there today that could match their quality. they cost more but were worth every penny.
Didn't Panasonic acquire Pioneer at the end of 2008? I thought their Plasma series from 2009 onwards were with Pioneer technology.

BTW, fantastic info you've given in your post on how LEDs work. Do we get local dimming LEDs in India?
Old 30th September 2010, 11:44   #3943
BHPian

Quote:
actually that is not true. to this day plasma sets offer the best picture, best black levels along with the best viewing angles.
In 2008, when I was actively looking to get a wide-screen TV, the only contender was the Pioneer plasma (Kuro ?) - I hadn't seen one but the reviews (online & elsewhere) were very flowery, to say the least, & I was determined to get one despite the steep asking price here (~1.65L).

Then I came across an article in a AV magazine praising the Sony X-series LCD & how close it ran the Pioneer. Was intrigued & since both TVs were priced the same, managed to get a side-by-side audition at a popular AV store. To be honest, I couldn't make out which TV offered the better picture ! The Pioneer was a huge let-down, to my untrained eye at least, the Sony was as good as the Pioneer - even in low light ! The only difference I could find was that the plasma offered a wider viewing angle. The very same day I brought home a 40" x-series Sony.

It was an interesting audition to say the least though, with the propreiter saying the "flesh tones" & colors were more accurate on the plasma, but for the life of me, I couldn't notice any difference It didn't matter what kind of content was played, or at what distance I sat, or what lighting level was used, I couldn't really put my finger on anything & say the Pioneer plasma offered a better picture - if there was any difference at all, it was too slight to tell.

Quote:
these days lcd or led is pushed far more simply due to marketing. that doesn't mean it's a better technology, yet. was beta better than vhs? yes, and it died while vhs forged forward. hd dvd better than blu ray? yes, but we still have blu ray today. plasma too will die one day but in my eyes will die a noble death in the fight of picture quality.
Was HD-DVD really better than Blu-Ray ? I think the only stand HD-DVD had was lower cost, but Blu-Ray is more future-proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
BTW, fantastic info you've given in your post on how LEDs work. Do we get local dimming LEDs in India?
Yes, the Sony I got has local dimming. Edge-lit LED-LCD TVs are popular because the "thin-look" is in.

P.S. - Well, that the TV I got went kaput after 20 months is another story
Old 30th September 2010, 12:44   #3944
BHPian

Buying a new LCD

Hi guys, I am looking at buying a new 40-42" LCD in a budget of about 50k in next 3-4 weeks. I have decided not to look at Plasmas as I will not get a Full HD one in my budget in 40-42". Moreover, I think newer LCDs like Samsung 40C630 are moving closer to deep blacks. I am looking at something from Samsung (like the 40C630) or a LG (42LD460). I am not looking at Sony as reviews I have read on the net suggest Samsung is equally good (if not better) at a lower price.

What do you guys suggest in my budget of about 50k?
Old 30th September 2010, 12:52   #3945
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
P.S. - Well, that the TV I got went kaput after 20 months is another story
This is something thats been bugging for some time now reading threads here and at hifivision. How reliable are the new flat tvs when . There seems to be lots of complaints after 1 year itself. The regular CRTs usually run without any problems for 10 years.

I beginning to feel the high cost also includes the cost of damaged tvs that needs to be replaced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks