Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2013, 13:44   #6916
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

It was my understanding too that picture via HDMI should be better, however the 32" Hitachi is now connected to the Sky+ box via the AV cable and the picture is as good as it was when it was connected via the HDMI cable before a power surge fried its HDMI board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
Could this difference be because of the HDMI or Component output on the HD box. I have a TataSky HD & STB at home and find little difference on regular Coax on a 32' Sony.
Old 30th August 2013, 21:39   #6917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Is it worth going in for this extended warranty?
I would provided it is reasonable.

The internal Wi Fi module croaked just 10 days shy of the warranty expiring on my Samsung Plasma. Raised a ticket and they replaced the Wi Fi module. Very prompt service. Unfortunately; the module has failed again, in less than two months and I am out of warranty now. I am basically a sitting duck. Samsung India will charge Rs. 1100 for an engineer visit plus the cost of the component. The module in the USA costs Rs. 700. I spoke to them on how a new Wi Fi module can fail in such a short span of time and they could not answer my query. They insist that an engineer has to visit to analyze the problem. There really is nothing to analyze. I decided not to get it fixed. The paid job has a component warranty of only one month. It could be a hit or miss in terms of the next Wi Fi module surviving. I have decided to buy a second budget Wi Fi router, run Wireless bridge and run a network cable to the tv. This will solve the problem.
Old 30th August 2013, 21:55   #6918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I would provided it is reasonable.

The internal Wi Fi module croaked just 10 days shy of the warranty expiring on my Samsung Plasma. Raised a ticket and they replaced the Wi Fi module. Very prompt service. Unfortunately; the module has failed again, in less than two months and I am out of warranty now. I am basically a sitting duck. Samsung India will charge Rs. 1100 for an engineer visit plus the cost of the component. The module in the USA costs Rs. 700. I spoke to them on how a new Wi Fi module can fail in such a short span of time and they could not answer my query. They insist that an engineer has to visit to analyze the problem. There really is nothing to analyze. I decided not to get it fixed. The paid job has a component warranty of only one month. It could be a hit or miss in terms of the next Wi Fi module surviving. I have decided to buy a second budget Wi Fi router, run Wireless bridge and run a network cable to the tv. This will solve the problem.
Do you have a link to the Wifi module? If you plan to do a DIY. i will gladly send you the part from the states

Last edited by Diamond_dawg : 30th August 2013 at 21:59.
Old 30th August 2013, 22:08   #6919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
They charged 1000 for my used 46 plasma, after depreciation, a year back. Now, I'll be carrying my used 55 LED next. So do let us know what happened in your case?

I had bought a 40" LED TV here in Malaysia about 8 months back. I am returning this Sunday back after more than a year outside India. Now, will my TV be still be taxed at 36 % (after the new import ban),or can it be treated as used goods. Also, how is the depreciation calculated on that.

Thanks,
Andy
[/quote]

Hi. Do keep us posted when your back to India with what was the duty imposed on you for getting your TV back. I heard in dubai airports there is a huge banner stating that TV taken to india attracts 36% duty.
Also has any bhpian got any LCD/LED TV into india after the new duty rule? Please let us all know in detail.
Old 30th August 2013, 22:50   #6920
BHPian

Hi guys it has been three years since I bought my Panasonic plasma 42" based on this thread and I am a satisfied customer(touch wood).now I am in search of a 22-24" LCD or LED tv.plasmas don't come in that size right.budget is 10 to 12 k. Any idea about micromax led ,seems to be the cheapest.i need your suggestions pretty fast as I don't want to miss the IBL finals tomorrow at my office.thx in advance.

Last edited by drbabuanand : 30th August 2013 at 23:14.
Old 30th August 2013, 22:55   #6921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I hope i am posting in the correct thread. I am facing a problem with my tv.
It's a 46inch Sony Led. We bought it in mid June this year. I've used it with a ups since day one. On a dark screen, I can clearly see these patches of white. And when I'm watching a a channel like vh1 which doesn't come in full screen (black band on the top and bottom), these patches are quite prominent. This can't be normal
Look like the Bulb is going out! would get it checked asap as it should be within warranty!
Old 1st September 2013, 10:47   #6922
Senior - BHPian

Ever since my plan of buying a plasma was shelved in Jan 2013, I stopped visiting this thread. So pardon if this is a repeat question.

I'm now in the market for a Panasonic 50 plasma (assuming there's nothing better than Pana!). Last I checked, ST50 was in short supply and available only upon order, and as a direct import from Japan.

What is the scene now? Also, by now the 2013 series would have been on the shelves right? What's the relevant model number and pricing in Delhi?
Old 1st September 2013, 12:47   #6923
Senior - BHPian

The new model is ST60. Was priced much above 1L earlier this year when it was launched. The ST50 was available for around 85K depending upon negotiations.

As for the bit about direct imports et all, it is just idle talk on the dealers part. It is not economically feasible for any one to import one piece at a time, stocks are brought in viable lots and distributed across the country. Whether the dealer is interested in selling a particular model is a different scenario as the company will not bill them unless a pre agreed amount is billed or minimum quantity is ordered.

Not that it matters in the buying process but ST and models below are made in Malaysia, models beginning with GT and upwards are made in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I'm now in the market for a Panasonic 50 plasma (assuming there's nothing better than Pana!). Last I checked, ST50 was in short supply and available only upon order, and as a direct import from Japan.

What is the scene now? Also, by now the 2013 series would have been on the shelves right? What's the relevant model number and pricing in Delhi?
Old 1st September 2013, 12:56   #6924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The new model is ST60. Was priced much above 1L earlier this year when it was launched. The ST50 was available for around 85K depending upon negotiations.

As for the bit about direct imports et all, it is just idle talk on the dealers part. It is not economically feasible for any one to import one piece at a time, stocks are brought in viable lots and distributed across the country. Whether the dealer is interested in selling a particular model is a different scenario as the company will not bill them unless a pre agreed amount is billed or minimum quantity is ordered.

Not that it matters in the buying process but ST and models below are made in Malaysia, models beginning with GT and upwards are made in Japan.
Thanks. As per the website and info from dealers, only 3 models are currently being sold in India.

TH-P50X60D
TH-P50S60D
TH-P60S60D

So I'm guessing the erstwhile XT, VT, ST, GT hierarchy is 2012 news then?
Old 1st September 2013, 14:09   #6925
Senior - BHPian

Well my cousin did buy a 50" ST50 in May/June this year. Maybe some stocks of the 50 series are floating around somewhere that is if these have really been pulled from the market.

Quote:
Old 2nd September 2013, 18:24   #6926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
T.

My ST60 is assembled and imported from Thailand to Chennai, India. The panel comes from Japan is what I have heard. I don't think GT and VT is different in terms of the factory location. Only the ZT60 would be made in Japan as far as I know.

Quote:
Thanks. As per the website and info from dealers, only 3 models are currently being sold in India.

TH-P50X60D
TH-P50S60D
TH-P60S60D

Same issue continues. Only a handful of imports in a country with 1 billion + viewers. They simply don't want to sell plasma anymore.

Supply is very limited and they are sold directly even without the display piece being made available.
Price is increased now due to dollar and short-supply.

Last edited by S_U_N : 2nd September 2013 at 18:25.
Old 2nd September 2013, 18:33   #6927
Senior - BHPian

Yes all panels are made in Japan. My VT is made in Japan as was the GT that I was pursuing earlier this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
My ST60 is assembled and imported from Thailand to Chennai, India. The panel comes from Japan is what I have heard. I don't think GT and VT is different in terms of the factory location. Only the ZT60 would be made in Japan as far as I know.
Old 10th September 2013, 13:03   #6928
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

My parents are planning to buy an LED TV in Trivandrum. Size- 40.

They have shortlisted Sony Bravia 40R52A at a price of 47.5k (MRP as per the website- 57.9k).

I have very limited experience with flat screen purchase. Is Bravia a good choice in this segment? Price seems to be very competitive- comparable to Panasonic and way less than 40 inch Samsungs.

Requirements are 40 inch screen, reliability and good picture quality. They won't use any smart TV features, so those features don't matter.
Old 10th September 2013, 15:57   #6929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys,

My parents are planning to buy an LED TV in Trivandrum. Size- 40.

They have shortlisted Sony Bravia 40R52A at a price of 47.5k (MRP as per the website- 57.9k).

I have very limited experience with flat screen purchase. Is Bravia a good choice in this segment? Price seems to be very competitive- comparable to Panasonic and way less than 40 inch Samsungs.

Requirements are 40 inch screen, reliability and good picture quality. They won't use any smart TV features, so those features don't matter.
Sony is a good choice. However, if you are not a Sony fanboy, Samsung or Panasonic are not too far behind either. You could save some 7-8k. A friend of mine bought a 40" Samsung LED for around 40k - 2 months back.
Old 10th September 2013, 17:11   #6930
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post

Sony is a good choice. However, if you are not a Sony fanboy, Samsung or Panasonic are not too far behind either. You could save some 7-8k. A friend of mine bought a 40" Samsung LED for around 40k - 2 months back.
I visited Sony showroom today. Rejected Bravia 40R452A purely for the picture quality, rather lack of it.

I see Toshiba PU 200-40 recommended in earlier pages here. How good is Toshiba in reliability and quality? Also do they have a credible after sales network?

Panasonic P50X60D- Plasma TV (but not full HD). Is this a wise choice over the 40 inch LEDs? I hear plasma may get phased out soon, but will it be reliable? Considering plasmas only due to the comparable price here. Not going to full HD plasma range.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks