Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2020, 21:12   #46
Senior - BHPian

Confess was not expecting a thread on this, of all things. Was advised to buy one as a screening against COVID -19. I ordered before the lockdown, end February, but delivery happened only after the relaxation were in place. I ordered from Amazon. But that model is no longer in stock. Posting the link anyway.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00K5LMF8O/..._33YcFbXHFZK83
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 21:26   #47
BHPian

Re: Pulse Oximeter recommendations?

I had ordered thisDr Trust (USA) Finger Tip Pulse Oximeter - 209 (Blue) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B089DN31JS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sgZcFbD46YZ58 from Amazon. But recieved a faulty piece showing inconsistent readings. Raised a return request but Amazon somehow is not picking up the item.

In the meantime have got a local product from the nearest pharmacy shop costing Rs. 2000/-. It's working well till now.

Last edited by Fordlover88 : 12th July 2020 at 21:28.
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 21:54   #48
BHPian

I bought mine directly from Dr Trust by paying 4,750. Took a week's time to reach me. Working perfectly.

Son was down with severe cold (looked like Sinusitis). Doctor had provided Levolin and pulse rate was 120+ and doctor advised to check while sleeping and it showed 80+. For me and wife SpO2 shows 98+ and pulse reading of 75+.

Pulse Oximeter recommendations?-oximeter.jpg
AltoLXI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 16:47   #49
BHPian

Can anyone also suggest a good non-contact thermometer as I'm looking to buy both for my family? Thanks in advance
Old 14th July 2020, 18:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

Didn't know my S9 had a sensor for oximeter. Shows me 99% and my daughter's Honor band also shows the same. Hope one of them is reliable enough. Dont want to spend too much on oximeters with their inflated prices.
Old 14th July 2020, 19:00   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnav_b View Post
Can anyone also suggest a good non-contact thermometer
If it is just for family, unless there is a specific reason, use the usual "feel" method would be appropriate. That said, one useful method I have found to be quite time saving and time saving on Amazon is to stick to "Prime" products. It shows up, even if you are not a prime member. There seem to be products starting from ₹ 1400. Once you identify 2 or 3 items, look up reviews on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Didn't know my S9 had a sensor for oximeter. Shows me 99% and my daughter's Honor band also shows the same. Hope one of them is reliable enough.
I dont think there is a sensor for oxygen. Probably RGB light sensor. Can somebody please clarify?

Edit - Well, looked it up on GSMArena, and there IS a sensor for SPO2 and heart rate on this phone.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 14th July 2020 at 19:10.
Old 14th July 2020, 19:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
If it is just for family, unless there is a specific reason, use the usual "feel" method would be appropriate. That said, one useful method I have found to be quite time saving and time saving on Amazon is to stick to "Prime" products. It shows up, even if you are not a prime member. There seem to be products starting from ₹ 1400. Once you identify 2 or 3 items, look up reviews on YouTube.

I dont think there is a sensor for oxygen. Probably RGB light sensor. Can somebody please clarify?
Well, all oximeters measure it through light. Not sure if the method is same as other oximeters.
Old 17th July 2020, 18:56   #53
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Got this from Amazon. Prices are currently crazy, but I guess we're living in crazier times.

Pulse Oximeter recommendations?-20200717-14.15.24.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 21:29   #54
BHPian

I bought honor 5i smart band as it has the option of SpO2 measurement. The readings from the band seems to be matching with oximeter readings within 1-2% error.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 14:15   #55
Senior - BHPian

So the Oximeter arrived today. (It's a very premium shade of blue) Switched off all lights, and took favourable readings. We are going to note this daily (giving the burgeoning cases in Karnataka)
Attached Thumbnails
Pulse Oximeter recommendations?-img_3503.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 19th July 2020 at 14:16.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 16:37   #56
Senior - BHPian

Since the first oximeter I got is left at parents' decided to buy another. Was not keen on a smart watch since wanted to take wife's measurements, and did not want to get a bout of gadgetitis. Looking at what is posted here, and search results on Amazon and Flipkart, realised that displays are almost identical. So are measurement tolerances. (+/- 2%) Low priced (~ ₹ 1,000) ones take only 2 readings - SPO2 and pulse. Next higher priced (< ₹ 1500) ones show a line / graph of pulse beat, and still higher (< ₹ 2000) priced ones tell you the pulmonary index or strength of pulse too. Some brands have hiked prices 3X; and some are sold out. At still higher prices, you can expect brands and /or BT/USB connectivity.
Again, displays too differ - segmented LED,LED and OLED screens are there. Orientation of some screens can be varied too.
I got one which reads SPO2, Pulse and PI for ₹ 1500.

Dont ask what I can do with the PI figure. I dont know. Need to read that up.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 19th July 2020 at 16:39.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 12:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Definitely worth it. It is an essential tool for monitoring your health in the post Covid world. We bought one in early May on Flipkart - and have been monitoring everyone in the family on a daily basis. Can’t talk about brands - my order on Flipkart was for a Omron model, but what landed up was some Chinese brand. I thought of returning it, but for a test done vs our family doctors Oximeter and then kept it since it seems to be working fine
Strange. Omron I trust, the Chinese I do not. But then it is a simple device, so should not bother much. With the original founders out anything can happen with Flipkart.

I recently needed some hair oil, it had not been there on Amazon, so I had bought from Flipkart. Now they dropped me into Amazon. In fact I saved some money since I am Amazon Prime.

@BackSeatDriver; it seems there is a lot of rebadging going on.

Last edited by sgiitk : 20th July 2020 at 12:49.
Old 20th July 2020, 12:56   #58
Senior - BHPian

There is a shortage in the market for Covid products. Even some of my demanding neighbours (in the past) have now accepted rebadged products, opting not to fret. Best to use what's in hand. Companies are using this situation to make some serious money
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Strange. Omron I trust, the Chinese I do not. But then it is a simple device, so should not bother much. With the original founders out anything can happen with Flipkart.it seems there is a lot of rebadging going on.
Old 21st July 2020, 00:10   #59
Senior - BHPian

My Samsung S7 Edge has oximeter in-built with an IR sensor next to camera flash. There is a whole lot of debate going on over the internet whether it gives accurate results so won't recommend it. Interestingly, what I read is most oximeters are accurate for normal results (read above 95%) but will start showing inaccurate results as oxygen levels drop which is difficult to discover as people are healthy most of the time. Better to get a branded device from trusted medical shop.

I recently did my family's annual health check where the physician checked our Oxygen saturation with his Oximeter, then I checked the same with my phone. The reading was accurate for all just mine showed 99% on his device and 98% on my phone.

For people buying it online, I would recommend getting one from local medical shops, it will save the hassle and time of returning the device if faulty. My friend got one at MRP just two days ago after his close relative tested positive.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 09:53   #60
Senior - BHPian

That's why it's important to buy a good Oximeter which Docs use. Even if it costs 5 grand, buy it. Don't rely on the Samsung read out (my doctor said the same thing). Dr. Trust is a good brand here. My friend's level dropped to 80% and he got to hospital just in time (saved his life). So did my neighbours on floor 4 and 6. They got help just in time. So this really proved invaluable. Don't ditch the tech, as we need this in the arsenal, along with a good non-contact thermometer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Interestingly, what I read is most oximeters are accurate for normal results (read above 95%) but will start showing inaccurate results as oxygen levels drop which is difficult to discover as people are healthy most of the time
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks