Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2020, 20:29   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Pulse Oximeter recommendations?

Guys, was thinking of buying an oximeter to keep at home. Is it a worthwhile idea, and if so any recommendations please?
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 21:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Pulse Oximeter recommendations?

Definitely worth it. It is an essential tool for monitoring your health in the post Covid world. We bought one in early May on Flipkart - and have been monitoring everyone in the family on a daily basis. Can’t talk about brands - my order on Flipkart was for a Omron model, but what landed up was some Chinese brand. I thought of returning it, but for a test done vs our family doctors Oximeter and then kept it since it seems to be working fine
Hayek is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 21:37   #3
BHPian

I brought this one (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07BFX1GJ2/..._4Sm9EbKXQ591C) in May and I have checked it's performance against the multi vital sign monitor that I work on in my office.
Of course, when I brought this, MRP was 3200 and the selling price was 1024. So, I can understand about the current selling price, but I really don’t know how the MRP got increased to 4500 now?
kavensri is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 22:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I brought this one
Last week, my bro-in-law tested positive for Covid-19. During home isolation, doctor recommended Oximeter to keep a check but no chemist in their area had it in Delhi. I searched on Amazon and this was the only oximeter that could be delivered next day. I paid Rs.2497 for the exact same model.

Then I bought it for Rs.2100 (less 10% Citibank discount) to keep it at home (yet to be delivered). I know they were sold at around Rs.1000 but not any more. Similarly, contact-less thermometers were sold for Rs.1000-1200 pre-covid but they were sold for Rs.6000 (and even more) in March/Arpil. Now, they have come to Rs.2000 or so. Most of them are crap and read 90-92 degrees Fahrenheit of a healthy person.
PS: My Bro-in-law is fine now (still in home isolation but no symptoms).
mukeshgoel is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 22:58   #5
BHPian

A mobile phone can be turned into an oxymeter using its flash and camera. Apps like this can conver any phone into an oxymeter. Most samsung phones have the Samsung health app which can measure the oxygen concentration as part of its stress monitoring function. I dont know how accurate these mobile based meters are vs the dedicated machines. Doctors and other experts can throw some light.
nagr22 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 23:51   #6
BHPian

Based on my reading and understanding of it - Do not rely on the smartphone based oximeters. They have been reported to be unreliable and are largely a work in progress.

Example - 1:

Quote:
Smartphone pulse oximetry technology is inconsistent when compared to a device designed to measure oxygen saturation. More research is needed to assess differences in smartphone pulse oximetry applications and to better understand if this technology can be utilized in patients with varying degrees of hypoxemia.
I had got a Zacurate one and just last week dropped it off at my parents' place since their device stopped working.

Have ordered and received a choicemmed product - the one my parents were earlier using. It had served well before taking a fall! Yet to open my package though.

Here's a screenshot of the price variation of this thing (opportunistic!) -

Name:  Picture1.png
Views: 8704
Size:  3.6 KB

Last edited by Miyata : 25th June 2020 at 23:55.
Miyata is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 00:39   #7
BHPian

An oximeter is worthwhile and easy to use instrument. It could be used for anyone complaining of breathlessness to check the saturation of oxygen at that time. It isnt advise for daily monitoring at home for otherwise normal individuals or as a screening test for covid19. Oximeters are being used for routine oxygen saturation monitoring of covid patients not complaining of breathlessness at home or in the wards.

Preferable to get good ones from the likes of Omron, BPL, etc. The lesser priced ones are usually rebranded chinese products that dont last long and may have minimal errors.

The smartphone based apps can be used just for the fun of it, nothing more as of now. Research is needed to compare accuracy and sensitivity especially in sick patients.
stormy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 01:00   #8
BHPian

I am a Doctor and I would recommend Dr.Trust brand of pulse oximeters. Yes, pulse oximeter is a highly useful device to have it handy at home.

Disclaimer - I am not associated with Dr. Trust brand in anyway.
vivek95 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 06:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I am a Doctor and I would recommend Dr.Trust brand of pulse oximeters. Yes, pulse oximeter is a highly useful device to have it handy at home.

Disclaimer - I am not associated with Dr. Trust brand in anyway.
True. I think this is the only FDA approved brand made in India now.
Sree is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 07:20   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pulse Oximeter recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Definitely worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I searched on Amazon and this was the only oximeter that could be delivered next day. I paid Rs.2497 for the exact same model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy View Post
An oximeter is worthwhile and easy to use instrument. It could be used for anyone complaining of breathlessness to check the saturation of oxygen at that time.

Preferable to get good ones from the likes of Omron, BPL, etc. The lesser priced ones are usually rebranded chinese products that dont last long and may have minimal errors.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree View Post
Thank you all! Bought the Dr. Trust one for ₹4,275 from Amazon after 10% Citibank discount. Felt it was better to invest in a high quality one given what is looming ahead (for KA at least).
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 10:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
A mobile phone can be turned into an oxymeter using its flash and camera. Apps like... can conver any phone into an oxymeter.
Doctors and other experts can throw some light.
A pulseoximeter observes and analyses how the blood is absorbing light of certain wavelength. These wavelengths produce red light and infrared light. I don't think a phone flash LED can produce these specific wavelengths and can't analyse the blood as such. Pulse oximeters produce these specific wavelengths and have sensors that can read these changes.

Samsung phones do have a dedicated light and sensor that does the job, but it takes time to give a reading. I've used the sensor on S8 quite frequently, just for fun & I wouldn't say its completely useless, but it has its limitations and these sensors are present only on the flagship range.

I bought a Dr.Trust pulse oximeter in 2018 for Rs.1600.
It is working well now. I'm surprised how prices went up so high.

I also suggest users to thoroughly read the instruction manual before using the pulseoximeter to get best results. For example, using the oximeter in very bright light can hinder the results.

Pulse Oximeter recommendations?-20200626_101152.jpg

Seems genuine to my eyes..
Pulse Oximeter recommendations?-20200626_101218.jpg
saisailendra is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 11:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

I ordered 3 nos. of MEDTECH Fingertip Pulse Oximeter OG03 on Monday to 3 different addresses in NCR and all got delivered on Wednesday. We all are happy with the readings and usability.

Link: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pulse Oximeter recommendations?-img20200623wa0011.jpg

Highly recommended
myavu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 12:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I am a Doctor and I would recommend Dr.Trust brand of pulse oximeters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
I bought a Dr.Trust pulse oximeter in 2018 for Rs.1600.
It is working well now. I'm surprised how prices went up so high.
Thanks all for the recommendations and to the OP for starting the thread.

Have been thinking of getting a pulse oximeter for more than a month now but procrastinated looking at the price, reviews from unhappy customers that the devices were not that accurate, decent efforts by the KA government which kept numbers in Bengaluru under control.

Now with the numbers going up again and with the earlier reports form Mt.Sinai NY that patients sometimes don't even know that their blood SPO2 has plummeted at the back of my mind just ordered this Dr trust branded pulse oximeter on Flipkart.

Dr. Trust (USA) Signature Series FingerTip with AUDIO VISUAL ALARM water resistant ( Midnight Black) Pulse Oximeter
http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/dr-trust-usa-signature-series-fingertip-audio-visual-alarm-water-resistant-midnight-black-pulse-oximeter/p/itmf3j842vbz9z5q?pid=POXEXFZ3VHK9RQ7G&cmpid=produc t.share.pp

Can't believe how high the prices are now. From Rs. 1600 just two years back to Rs. 4700+ today.

The one I purchased seems to be lower model with less features but even at Rs. 3999 this is turning out to be quite expensive. Hopefully it lasts for at least 2 years.
JithinR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 12:31   #14
BHPian

4000 ?? I vaguely remember seeing Dr. Trust priced at around 1800-2000 a month back !! Wait, I am sure it wasn't anything above 2000. My God, this is crazy jacking up of rates !!
vivek95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 14:19   #15
BHPian

Slightly

Earlier this year, my father bought a Honor 5 band which has SpO2 monitoring feature
The heart-rate monitor on the band is pretty accurate (benchmarked against Fitbit and a heart rate monitor) but not sure about SpO2.

If someone has an oximeter and this band, do compare the readings and share the results. At a cost of two thousand rupees, the band MIGHT be a better buy if the variation is within acceptable limits.

Pulse Oximeter recommendations?-screenshot_20200626140326.png

Last edited by aah78 : 4th July 2020 at 20:03. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
warrioraks is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks