Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2020, 23:55   #46
BHPian

Re: Apple iPhone 12 launched!

Such a disappointment. Was seriously considering buying the mini as it was supposed to be between iPhone SE and iPhone 11 prices. Even the name "mini" doesn't justify the price.

iPhone 11 on the other hand sounds good to me right now with the official "free airpods" offer and it is also offered at 47k on Flipkart/Amazon in the coming days.
Old 15th October 2020, 00:21   #47

I would suggest anyone with a half decent phone against upgrading until at least next year. 5G does not work out side US on the new models and that was actually apple’s main selling point in the keynote. Next year should bring more widespread availability of 5G and 120 Hz display. And who knows, we might even get power button Touch ID along with Face ID. I personally feel that this year is the worst upgrade in some time if you ignore the 12 Mini. If you’re looking for a compact phone, the 12 Mini looks amazing and can be bought without hesitation. For everyone else, next year is where it is at.

Also hope that the consumers smack some sense into Apple for both increasing their prices and removing the charger and headphone from the box.

Last edited by Gokuljayaraj : 15th October 2020 at 00:24. Reason: Spelling
Gokuljayaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 09:22   #48
BHPian

I don't understand how Apple gets away with pricing phones above 1 lakh in India, while removing earphones and the power adapter. During the launch they pushed for 5G like it was the new biggest thing, while other manufacturers have been implementing it for over a year now, and 5G is still a pipe dream in most of the world.
Old 15th October 2020, 09:55   #49
BHPian

Though I'm an Apple fan boy, Using iPhones for the past 8 years.
If you buy an iPhone you can keep it for very long term compared to others without compromising the performance and features with the others.

I feel the Apple is not coming up with a WOW product recently.

Few reasons below,

Has no Fingerprint sensor(faceid might be there, but must have retained Finger print)

Has no high refresh rate display(its 2020 and being a flagship 60Hz display is bummer)

No fast charging (Oppo has achieved 65w charging(34 mins to full charge), iPhone 11 pro takes 2.30 hrs to charge, hope iPhone 12 pro will be some where near)

Notch(I can bet iPhone has the widest notch of all phones released this year)

For performance gimmick A starting price of 70k is Extremely over priced , the features i have mentioned above can be found in sub 20k phones itself.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:02   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

The best time to buy an iPhone is when a new model launches and they discount the previous years models!

Almost 70K for a 5.4’ inch phone in 2020 is ridiculous to say the least! Last year’s 11 was priced much better at $649 coming to India at ₹65000 for the 6.1’ inch phone whereas the 6.1’ inch 12 is at $799 coming to India at almost 80K.

I had also bought the XR after the price was corrected from ₹81000 to somewhere into the 60s but I had paid even less because of the cash back and exchange of my old iPhone 6. So in the process I was able to upgrade to the 128gb.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 15th October 2020 at 10:05.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:05   #51

Mini is my choice too. It’s lighter than my 6s!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th October 2020 at 11:23. Reason: Please type and punctuate your posts properly. Thanks!
Old 15th October 2020, 10:16   #52
BHPian

What hurts the most is the price for iPhone 12pro and 12pro max are the same in the US , only in India they have been increased by 10k. Now it makes more sense to ask someone to bring it for you as one can save upto 55k .
Also as per reports the production of iPhone 12 was going to start in India by February 2021 so prices would go down (for iPhone 12) when India made iPhone 12 get released.

The iPhone 11 for 48k (Amazon sale) makes much more sense now, and makes the 12 feel overpriced. However many people would still buy the new iPhone.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th October 2020 at 11:22. Reason: typo
Atharva4545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 11:53   #53

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Thoughts, ladies and ledas? Upgrade time, yay or nay? Which way are you'll leaning? Please hit the like and subscribe button, and leave your comments below. This is MCBCD signing off.
Yes... the prices are really eye-watering. I have been an iPhone user since iPhone 5s (2013) (provided by the company) which was regularly upgraded to a newer version as the company wanted it's employees to carry the latest one. Thanks to my company, I am used to iPhone now and find other phones really non-intuitive . I bought my first ever iPhone 8 in 2017 when I parted ways with my company to join another organization and I did not have any personal phone. However, I did not feel the need to upgrade my iPhone to iPhone X or iPhone 11 when they were launched as iPhone 8 did satisfy my needs very well. Same is the case even when Apple launched iPhone 12. My iPhone 8 is still going strong and still satisfies my needs very well and I intend to keep it as long as it works or Apple does not stop providing OS updates.

I will probably still go for an iPhone when I decide to upgrade as I am a big time user of Apple products and have the complete Apple eco-system with me (iPhone + iPad + iWatch + MacBook). I really like the seamless integration between all these devices and the quality of software available on them.
vroom_vroom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 12:28   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Hdfc offers are valid till 16 October but the diwali offer starts only on 17th. So choose wisely
Greetings,

Exactly.

Moreover, the offer of giving free airpods is subject to availability and stocks.
People having high hopes of buying a new iPhone and getting airpods for free should consider this aspect as well.

Thanks.
Old 15th October 2020, 12:38   #55
Senior - BHPian

I'm a sucker for small phones (currently using S10E). The 12 Mini suits me perfectly. I absolutely despise humongous screened phones.

I can't imagine moving away from Android and for a secondary phone 12 mini is a bit rich.

My other gripe apart from price would be the decision to drop military green colorway of 11 pro. Just one year in the line-up and its gone. It was a genuinely good color.

Now I just hope Samsung follows the suit and next year launches S21 mini in the same size as 12 mini. For 2020 they dropped the E version from S20 line-up. Again a confusing decision. But may be it's a business decision after sales reports. People who want small phone with high end innards are a minority.

Last edited by amol4184 : 15th October 2020 at 12:51.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 12:38   #56
Team-BHP Support

The 12 mini looks like a great addition to the range; always a fan a small mobile phones.
I will try and hold up with my current 11 Pro as the 12 Pro doesn’t look like a compelling update. With better 5G reach and hopefully something like a Mini Pro, it will be ideal to do the upgrade when the next series comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
The implication of no charger+earphones with Apple phones will be most launches in 2021 and beyond, whether Samsung/One plus/Pixel will also start doing the same. It happened with the headphone jack, so see no reason why it won't happen again.
I assume Samsung will follow the same route. Normally when we trade-in our phones for a recontract (here in Singapore), we always give the old phone with charger, but this time when I traded in the old Samsung S10 for a Note 20 Ultra, they did not ask for the charger, took back just the device – maybe a sign of things to come
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 12:44   #57
BHPian

I will promptly buy an older gen iPhone after this price drop.

I'm currently using an iPhone 7 hand-me-down from my dad. 4+ years on it's still running I'd say 85-90% good as new (so I don't really need to replace it, just think it's time I have a new phone of my own now). No android phone my parents or I have used has been so reliable or well built.

I'm not really considering any Android phones at all, to be honest. My iPhone has been absolutely fantastic to use. I trust Apple much more to not be scraping my data and recording my every move. From my understanding the Apple ToS is more robust too. And it would irk me to spend tens of thousands of rupees on a phone and get ads on my home screen. https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/0...and-im-fed-up/
Old 15th October 2020, 12:46   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The 512 GB variant is 1.6 lakhs!

Apple seems to be casting a really, really wide net with their offerings, not just with the iPhone but even Mac and iPad, in terms of sizes, technology and variants. From 40k for the SE to 1.6 lakhs for the most expensive 12.
It's step one to gaining a monopoly over the market.

They already have an ecosystem( as we like to call it) that is pretty hard to exit once invested in(for some).
But the better solution is to introduce an iPhone for everyone.

Now everyone can get locked into the EcoSystem full of Magic™ as they like to call it
Old 15th October 2020, 12:49   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Now I just hope Samsung follows the suit and next year launches S21 mini in the same size as 12 mini. For 2020 they dropped the E version from S20 line-up. Again a confusing decision. But may be it's a business decision. People who want small phone with high end innards are a minority.
The S10e sales weren't good that's why Samsung discontinued the e series from their subsequent flagships. The majority of consumers want large screen phones.

I was looking for a compact phone and I bought the iphone SE at 25K in the ongoing sale. The only small sized option was the pixel 4a, but at the price point the SE was better VFM and I went with it. The 12 mini is just beyond my budget.
Old 15th October 2020, 14:07   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
The prices are exorbitant, but people will still buy this. One advantage of the Apple products is that you get at least 5 years of useful device life........... Also, iPhones have good resale value.
True statement! My wife's iPhone 7 Plus has lasted 4 years very well, she's an extremely heavy user of the phone (content consumption and creation - photos, music recording, etc.) and has never lamented that phone has 'considerably' slowed down. Phone with a case has also been in top condition, mostly because she maintains it well despite heavy use. The product is of high quality and definitely lasts a long while.

The resale value is a bit dubious. Of course, one might get a better price on a personal sale, but exchange values are terrible, on-line. I checked yesterday and Amazon was only willing to offer ₹8k for wife's iPhone 7 128GB. But fortunately, even without probing GB capacity, Apple is willing to trade it in for ₹16k. That's decent, better than single digit thousands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Also, the new phones do not have a charging brick and earpods in the box.......................

Apple equivalent of U.S.$ 1 = ₹100
That's not exactly just conversion, but I do see what you mean . I was saying the same thing yesterday in a conversation with a friend. The HomePod mini is US$99, and ₹ 9900 here. But it doesn't just stop at US$1 = ₹100. If you use the iPhone 12 Pro 256GB for converting, then US$1 = ₹ 118.2. Dollar - INR fluctuates way more volatile than current exchange rates. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atharva4545 View Post
What hurts the most is the price for iPhone 12pro and 12pro max are the same in the US , only in India they have been increased by 10k. Now it makes more sense to ask someone to bring it for you as one can save upto 55k .
Yes and thanks for pointing this out. The first thing i noticed, day before. I think ₹ 54K price difference on 12 Pro and ₹ 55k price difference on 12 Pro Max. That's an eye watering difference. It shouldn't be this way. Helps only tax collectors and Apple, not the buyers. In the long run, I'm very certain Apple cannot sustain this if they do not price correct. I know more than a few Apple users and a couple of loyalists dropping off Apple, due to the ridiculous pricing of their products. (also downsizing to smaller models due to high prices of flagship models). This won't help Apple either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
The best time to buy an iPhone is when a new model launches and they discount the previous years models!
That's what one would normally think, right? But poof, the iPhone 11 Pro and Max just disappeared, once 12 line-up was announced.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks