Team-BHP - The Home Appliance thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Home Appliance thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/23174-home-appliance-thread-14.html)

I too think that this is the classic case of over or under loading. But here the biggest irony is that we had ourselves developed Rubber Pads for Washing Machines and though they are no longer in production, they might help me. Let me see if i have some left here and there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 1128481)
Dont these have adjustable legs (screw type). The machine isnt on a flat floor or 4 legs are not touching the floor.

And this happens when its not loaded properly or with less weight. Use the half weight option when you have less stuff loaded in.

I dont get it, havent you guys tried the washing machine stand? I always run it full load and it is as stable as , well , my fridge :D . I got it for about 500 bucks so yes its a little more expensive than one would like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 1126870)
Guys, i have a query.

I bought an IFB - Senorita fully automatic washing machine last year. It has a 5kg capacity. It used to behave itself early on, but has started rocking these days - LITERALLY!

It dances and runs all around the place during the spin operation, which makes it quite embarassing and has me flumoxxed. While i can bear the embarassment, i reckon this is also not good for the appliance. I dont think i am overloading it, as i think the load i put in is quite reasonable.

The place where the washing machine is kept is level ground in one of the rooms. It doesnt rock when not in operation.

Any ideas as to what could be the issue, or will i have to wait for the IFB technicians to come and check it out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaa45 (Post 1126911)
Ditto with my IFB machine. It is all over the place while spinning. I think it is the case with all IFB machines. you could try to buy small rubber mats or a one piece of big one around 2 mm thickness and cut it into four pieces and put it under the legs of the machine. i think it should prevent the movement while in use.

Mansi

If the rattling has just started without you moving the machine it could be a suspension problem. There's this spring that holds the drum in place for the spin cycle. That might be the case. My Siemens washing machine had a similar problem and I was given an estimate of about 900 to replace it. I'm sure IFB would be cheaper.

I don't think its wise to put the machine up on a stand or put it on rubber mats or anything. The rubber will absorb the force from the vibrating machine and it wont make any noise but the drum inside will still be moving about just like before. Also I think the machine has been designed to be placed on the ground and I guess its best not to mess with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khanak (Post 1129340)
I don't think its wise to put the machine up on a stand or put it on rubber mats or anything. The rubber will absorb the force from the vibrating machine and it wont make any noise but the drum inside will still be moving about just like before. Also I think the machine has been designed to be placed on the ground and I guess its best not to mess with that.

Bro, the machine does not stop vibrating even if you put it on a stand. What is a stand anyway, a higher platform to keep the machine. The only diff is it has stable legs which does not let the machine jump all over the place. The only diff between the machine on the stand and the one on the ground is that the one on the stand does not move around on the slippery floor. ( i have 1 on stand and 1 on ground so speaking from personal experience)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyboy (Post 1129812)
Bro, the machine does not stop vibrating even if you put it on a stand. What is a stand anyway, a higher platform to keep the machine. The only diff is it has stable legs which does not let the machine jump all over the place. The only diff between the machine on the stand and the one on the ground is that the one on the stand does not move around on the slippery floor. ( i have 1 on stand and 1 on ground so speaking from personal experience)

How can a stand be more stable than a solid floor? The only advantage I see of having a stand is that the machine will be safe incase water collects when the drain is chocked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khanak (Post 1130150)
How can a stand be more stable than a solid floor? The only advantage I see of having a stand is that the machine will be safe incase water collects when the drain is chocked.

For me it was as the floor is tiled so more slippery . I am not saying the stand is more stable, I am saying machine on tiled floor was more slippery hence less stable than machine on stand. Hope it is clearer now. :)
And yes, stand also helps the body from getting rusted if there is water stagnation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyboy (Post 1130158)
For me it was as the floor is tiled so more slippery . I am not saying the stand is more stable, I am saying machine on tiled floor was more slippery hence less stable than machine on stand. Hope it is clearer now. :)
And yes, stand also helps the body from getting rusted if there is water stagnation.

Doesn't your machine have rubber feet which grip to the ground? Anyways since you are happy with the stand I don't think theres any point discussing this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khanak (Post 1130166)
Doesn't your machine have rubber feet which grip to the ground? Anyways since you are happy with the stand I don't think theres any point discussing this.

arre baba all machines have rubber feet, guess the rubber gets hardened with age thats why the grip issue after a while. Anyways, nice discussing home appliances . Guess my middle age home maker thing is getting to melol:

ONE FOR ALL 6 (Intl) anyone?

I was thinking of buying a Dishwasher & have a few questions.
1) How easy or difficult to install a dishwasher in a kitchen which isn't built for it? Do dealers help with plumbing etc?
2) What are the good brands - I noticed IFB, Haeir & LG sell dishwashers
3) I have a 3 litre geyser connected to the Kitchen tap mixer - but I assume
this isn't good enough for a dishwasher - I would need to buy a dishwasher
which has a built-in heater, right?
4) What size of dishwasher should I consider for a family of 2?
5) Where can I buy dishwasher detergent? Is it easily available?
6) What other features should I look for - how much will a dishwasher cost?

I have an IFB

Quote:

1) How easy or difficult to install a dishwasher in a kitchen which isn't built for it? Do dealers help with plumbing etc?
You need space and propoer taps and a drainage outloet. It takes some space. My DW sits next ot the washing machine hence extra effort to carry plates. From a green perspectivem a DW is most efficient is operated on a full load

Quote:

2) What are the good brands - I noticed IFB, Haeir & LG sell dishwashers
IFB provides flexbility in terms of loadign shelf heights. Service is not bad

Quote:

3) I have a 3 litre geyser connected to the Kitchen tap mixer - but I assume
this isn't good enough for a dishwasher - I would need to buy a dishwasher
which has a built-in heater, right?
No, the dishwasher has its own heating system

Quote:

4) What size of dishwasher should I consider for a family of 2?
It all depends on whether you eat a lot, entertain a lot etc. As I said, it works best on a full load. You could do what people do abroad - have lots of plates and pile 'em up in the DW till full and then start?

Why do you want a DW - I bought one (family of 3 ) since we have no maid from sat lunchtime till monday morning and also to assist when we have lot of people over for dinner
Quote:

5) Where can I buy dishwasher detergent? Is it easily available?
IFB sell direct or you can buy from big bazaar

Quote:

6) What other features should I look for - how much will a dishwasher cost?
Temp control, half load operation, salt control, I paid around Rs 25000. Croma had the best deeeal. Shop around and go for the kill

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 1146145)
I have an IFB
You need space and propoer taps and a drainage outloet. It takes some space. My DW sits next ot the washing machine hence extra effort to carry plates.

What brand do you own?
Did you require any extra plumbing work to be done?

Quote:

Why do you want a DW - I bought one (family of 3 ) since we have no maid from sat lunchtime till monday morning and also to assist when we have lot of people over for dinner
My DW (dear wife) is sick of maids & wants a DW (dishwasher).

Quote:

Temp control, half load operation, salt control, I paid around Rs 25000. Croma had the best deeeal. Shop around and go for the kill
What's salt control?

A dishwasher (like a front loading washer) has a height of 850mm. If your remove the top (replace with a polythene) you stand to gain about 10-12mm. It needs a cold water line, and a drain. You either put a bend it the pipe or otherwise need to empty at ~450mm. You will need a 15A socket. I had a diswasher (from the UK 0 during 1991-1998 when it packed up. The problems/issues:

1. Getting the detergent was (and in some places still is) tough. I do hear that a couple of international brands are available. For about five years I used a washing machine powder!

2. The 'shine' is sometimes difficult. I managed to get some from abroad through friends throughout. I think you can use Teepol with no ill effects.

3. The third consumable is salt for the water softener. If not available then you can always used rocksalt with not too much problem.

I did not bother about replacing it once by onld AEG unit packed up. Not a lot of pots and pans in India are dishwasher-safe. The two legged variety is much cheaper and efficient. Only you do not get pristine shine on the glasses.

Hope this helps.

How much is the average life of the dishwasher like 5years, 10 years ?? As it will be in regular contact with water and detergents i do not feel it as a long lasting product. Though it is a but different concept from washing machines which has an average life cycle of atleast 5-7 years !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 1146228)
For about five years I used a washing machine powder!

Does this work? I know that you should never use manual dishwashing liquid (like Vim/Pril liquid etc). I once did & the whole kitchen was full of foams. Doesn't using cloth detergent cause similiar issues?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 1146228)
3. The third consumable is salt for the water softener. If not available then you can always used rocksalt with not too much problem.

Do you need this all the time? I get Municipal water which isn't really hard?