Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:15   #646
Distinguished - BHPian

Cold wash --- consider previous posts on the quality of detergent sold in India, and especially consider that cold washing is not going to kill bacteria. To put it bluntly, your underwear might look cleaner, but it won't really be!

A lot of machines seem to come with cold feed only these days. I think this is because it is thought to be more efficient to heat the amount of water in the machine than to have it heated externally. Also, temperature control will be more accurate. Having a solar water heater, though , I would rather have a hot feed, as I have an every-day (excepting a few days a year) 200 ltrs of hot water up on the terrace.
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:59   #647
BHPian

Suggest a good Vaccum cleaner

I am planning to buy a new Vaccum cleaner. I looked at the Eureka Forbes range, but the reviews in Mouthshut indicates that their after sales service is very poor and spares availability is a problem. Other than EF, I see a few models in LG and Panasonic. How are these Vaccum cleaners? How about service and spares? Please suggest me a Vaccum Cleaner based on your first hand experience.

Last edited by cruiser_1982 : 22nd December 2009 at 15:04.
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:06   #648
BHPian

I have been using Euroka Forbes for past 2 years and i will say that it is best.
Regarding after sales service may be some one had bad experience but its not always the case. Still if you want to buy other brands you can go ahead with Black and Decker.
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:11   #649
BHPian

Hi Cruiser,

Eureka Forbes service is bad in bangalore but the better part is you wont need it too often. We have a eureka forbes vaccum cleaner and never needed service until now.. touchwood.

I dont have idea about LG vacuum cleaners but their service is fantastic. We have an LG washing machine and during the warranty period, they called up when the free service was due and serviced the washing machine.

-Pallavi
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:24   #650
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Free service for a washing machine?? I didn't know washing machines required to be "serviced"? What exactly do they do?
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:43   #651
BHPian

Generally, the service includes the following:

Cleaning the water inlet and the drain pipes, filters, lint collectors, checking the motor noise, checking the alignment in case the washing machine is noisy during operation, checking the steel drum for scaling, etc...

-Pallavi
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:45   #652
BANNED

I will not touch E-F with a barge pole. They tired to cheat me on the service contract of their Aquaguard. I paid for two years service to their agents who was handling the warranty period. No call for a year, and then they claim that the contract was fraudulent. Never got a reply to my letter either.

A friends daughter bought a vacuum cleaner, it packed up during warranty, and then had a hell of a time getting it fixed.

I think you should be able to find Panasonic, Electrolux, etc. in the market.
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:15   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ Free service for a washing machine?? I didn't know washing machines required to be "serviced"? What exactly do they do?
Forgot to add: Most eletrical appliances need to be "serviced" so that any initial glitches that could turn into potential problems can be resolved. So regular servicing is also necessary. No need to wait till it conks off

-Pallavi
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:25   #654
BHPian

@pragya,@Pallavi,

Can you please let me know the EF model you are using?
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:44   #655
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks I am planning to buy a washing machine in a months time and my budget is around 15kto 20 K max. I am not looking at a very high end machine.

I am a bit confused with top loading & side loading options. Other important factor will be cleaning efficiency, Water saving features , serviceability etc.

Let me know your suggestions & experiences with brands like LG, Samsung etc
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:54   #656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Forgot to add: Most eletrical appliances need to be "serviced" so that any initial glitches that could turn into potential problems can be resolved. So regular servicing is also necessary. No need to wait till it conks off

-Pallavi
Now thats news to me. Yet to see an electrical device that needs "servicing". Yes, washing machines are both mech and electrical devices... still our top loader has never needed "servicing" in over a decade.
Old 22nd December 2009, 20:36   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Hi folks I am planning to buy a washing machine in a months time and my budget is around 15kto 20 K max. I am not looking at a very high end machine.

I am a bit confused with top loading & side loading options. Other important factor will be cleaning efficiency, Water saving features , serviceability etc.

Let me know your suggestions & experiences with brands like LG, Samsung etc
Go for front loading machines if you have a 24 hour water supply. If you do not have a guaranteed 24 hours water supply, go for a top loading machine.
Old 22nd December 2009, 21:37   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Now thats news to me. Yet to see an electrical device that needs "servicing". Yes, washing machines are both mech and electrical devices... still our top loader has never needed "servicing" in over a decade.
Well, there are lot of things in life that are "news" to some and regular stuff to many..

And i am talking about a front loader washing machine here, which comes with preprogammable options, circuit boards etc. I guess your top loader is much simpler with lesser options. Thats good in many ways, because lesser the features, lesser it is prone to failures. I dont like to take chances with my washing machine, so get it serviced to be sure.

-Pallavi
Old 22nd December 2009, 23:45   #659
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Well, this "regular" stuff is still to dawn on me...

FYI, our top loader has programs and all that. Of course it is microprocessor controlled too! The basics can't be much different from a top loader.
Old 23rd December 2009, 00:53   #660
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post

-Pallavi
I have the following electrical/electronic stuff in my house.
Please advise as to which all of these do I need to service regularly & how regularly.

- Washer
- Tumble Dryer
- 2 TVs
- 2 DVD Players
- Dish
- Microwave
- Invertor
- Laptop
- Desktop
- Air Cooler
- Room Heater
- 2 Cell phones
- 2 Geysers
- Few tubelights
- Few Fans
- Pressing Iron
- Digital Camera
- Electric Shaver
- 2 Goodknight Liquid Machines
- HSBC Number Generator
- Torch

I may have missed a few things, not sure.

Most Viewed