Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2015, 09:28   #5536
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think it is the first kind.

There is one coil either side: that's the static elctromagnet bit, right? Stator?
There are bushes, and what looks like an incredibly complex multipart winding on the rotating part.

I could get another one from Amazon.uk for a mere UKŁ25 inc. carriage, but plus any import hassles
You could probably get the motor rewound in the Adyar neighborhood for about Rs.1000/-
Old 7th October 2015, 10:35   #5537
BANNED

@Thad; It is almost certainly a universal motor.. AC motors will just not have the torque.
Old 7th October 2015, 10:51   #5538
BHPian

Quote:
I bought a spice/coffee grinder in UK a couple of months ago.

Not taking the instructions seriously, I have already ruined it already. I told my wife, yeah, I can make that herbal powder really fine for you! Well, it cost me the machine.

It runs, and everything rotates freely, but only at a fraction of the speed; too slow to work at all.

What does that indicate to people here who understand motors? Is it that maybe one or more, but not all, coils are burnt out? I looked inside, and could not see any evidence of burn.

Of course, it is a very small motor compared to a pump, or even a mixie, but is there a chance that the rewinding guys could cope?

It was not very expensive. The thing is, it was really really good at doing one specific task: grinding a very small amount of pepper or mustard seed to a fine powder in just a moment. Sometimes the one-job tool is worth it, and I now miss it almost every time I cook.
Its not worth the hassle. The local guys will be unable to repair the motor. I tried my luck with an imported kenwood hand blender that we burned up. We used it for churning butter only. These small motors are not made for continuous use. Just a few seconds long bursts.

You'll be able to find similar things made by Indian brands too. Pretty reliable. Search for Inalsa Jiffy online.
Old 7th October 2015, 11:19   #5539
Senior - BHPian

I also ruined a "Coffee Grinder" when I tried to grind Til. Most probably if you did grind wet/oily stuff, then it has leaked into the bearing and jammed it.
. So first step will be to check the smoothness of the shaft.
. If it is slightly tight, then dismantle it, clean the shafts and bearings.
. If it is smooth, then the motor is damaged.
. If it has a capacitor, check/change it.
. If the problem still persists, then get the motor rewound.

If there are brushes on the motor, then could have been worn out or glazed due to heat. If you can take a look at the brushes and commutator. If glazed, just sand the commutator and the brushes with fine sandpaper. That should to the trick

Last edited by Aroy : 7th October 2015 at 11:31. Reason: Brush
Old 7th October 2015, 11:28   #5540
BHPian

Folks my Canon Wireless Pixma purchased in the US, has had the head replaced in 2012. I use only aftermarket ink cartridges from the US and not OEM ones from Canon. Every three years the head seems to need replacement. It was printing just fine. I have a feeling the logic board on the print head is preventing the print as it detects this ink. Has anyone circumvented this? The print head costs 4200 now and I didnt want to purchase another printer as I have a lot of cartridges still left over to be used with my model (Canon Pixma MX860). I was trying to find a new printer that uses the same head model so that I can purchase the printer instead and pick out the head from that and use it in my current printer, as long as it lasts, but had no luck finding a compatible one.
Any suggestions on the home printer strategy and if you folks buy OEM or copies of cartridges? Can you recommend a good printer? I have an older all in one HP which also did not last too long due to the cartridge availability in India.
Old 7th October 2015, 11:37   #5541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Folks my Canon Wireless Pixma purchased in the US, has had the head replaced in 2012. I use only aftermarket ink cartridges from the US and not OEM ones from Canon. Every three years the head seems to need replacement. It was printing just fine. I have a feeling the logic board on the print head is preventing the print as it detects this ink. Has anyone circumvented this? The print head costs 4200 now and I didnt want to purchase another printer as I have a lot of cartridges still left over to be used with my model (Canon Pixma MX860). I was trying to find a new printer that uses the same head model so that I can purchase the printer instead and pick out the head from that and use it in my current printer, as long as it lasts, but had no luck finding a compatible one.
Any suggestions on the home printer strategy and if you folks buy OEM or copies of cartridges? Can you recommend a good printer? I have an older all in one HP which also did not last too long due to the cartridge availability in India.
When I wanted to buy new cartridges for my printer, I realized that the printer cartridges for older printer are at least twice as expensive as those for the newer versions. That is why even though I have an HP 5610 all-in-one printer, I bough a new printer HP 1010 for Rs.1,900 - less than the cost of two cartridges (colour and Black). The cartridges for new printer are 1200 for set of two compared to over 2500 for the older printer.

So I would suggest that you look into getting a new printer, rather than hanging on to the older one. You can always sell off the stock of cartridges on e-bay, OLX or Quikr.

Now i use the new printer for printing and the older one for its flat bed scanner.
Old 7th October 2015, 11:55   #5542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Now i use the new printer for printing and the older one for its flat bed scanner.
Thanks for the thoughts. My Canon does not permit any functions if the print head does not work, it is nuts. As a result I am unable to use the scanner. Not tried the fax, but am guessing will be the same story. Will check for a new printer. Makes sense to buy disposable printers and throw away like Gillette razors
Old 7th October 2015, 12:00   #5543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Dishwasher users, which brand/model can accommodate half loading facility? The showroom guys are unaware of what is this and starts explaining about features which are not relevant. And what is the best buy? Croma and RD where we enquired about Bosch provides erratic pricing. Any suggestions.
Check any Bosch store directly. They explain features well. I dont own one but they did a demo of dishwasher when i purchased a washing machine from Bosch store in Jayanagar. They have a demo piece where the front part covering is taken out. You can see the actual washing process

Their website says they do support half load
http://www.bosch-home.com/in/dishwas...ve_id=HomeApp3

Last edited by rajesh1868 : 7th October 2015 at 12:02.
Old 7th October 2015, 12:59   #5544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Thanks for the thoughts. My Canon does not permit any functions if the print head does not work, it is nuts. As a result I am unable to use the scanner. Not tried the fax, but am guessing will be the same story. Will check for a new printer. Makes sense to buy disposable printers and throw away like Gillette razors
I found a link for canon print heads, hope that it help.
http://www.wercan.com/shopping/canon...rint-head.html
Old 7th October 2015, 13:10   #5545
Distinguished - BHPian

WHich Washing Machine ?

Question:
Samsung Wobble top-load
-or-
Panasonic NA-F62G6 FRB

Both are available at about 18k after discount / exchange
or any other ?
Old 7th October 2015, 13:57   #5546
Senior - BHPian

I am looking to replace my Samsung ref 310L with one >400 L model. Any suggestions on the make model that you have gone for and has served you well. Appreciate and thank you for your response.

DF.
Old 7th October 2015, 17:27   #5547
BHPian

Quote:
I found a link for canon print heads, hope that it help.

http://www.wercan.com/shopping/canon...rint-head.html

Thanks the print head I need is there and also available on Amazon.com but the price is almost same as the canon service center at Rs.4200
At that price I can get a new printer itself with a print head, which I wanted to use across both devices - old and new provided they use the same print head.
Old 7th October 2015, 18:53   #5548
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I know... this is just not worth the trouble. Thank you for your time, and may I take a little more?

This is the animal. It is that extra "small chamber" attachment, bottom right, that makes it so good at doing what I want it for.

The Home Appliance thread-wahl2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
You could probably get the motor rewound in the Adyar neighborhood for about Rs.1000/-
That would be good! Also acknowledge and note previous suggestion about Richie Street rewinders working with microwave parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Thad; It is almost certainly a universal motor.. AC motors will just not have the torque.
It looks like this

The Home Appliance thread-wahl6.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-wahl4.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-wahl8.jpg

I see two "ends," Should they be there? There is no sign that there were ever joined.
(spot the useless-at-graphics-with-a-mouse marker)

The Home Appliance thread-wahl5.jpg

Here are the anciliary electrics and switch

The Home Appliance thread-wahl9.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Its not worth the hassle. The local guys will be unable to repair the motor. I tried my luck with an imported kenwood hand blender that we burned up. We used it for churning butter only. These small motors are not made for continuous use. Just a few seconds long bursts.

You'll be able to find similar things made by Indian brands too. Pretty reliable. Search for Inalsa Jiffy online.
We have quite a collection of gadgets, western from Braun and Magimix, and an Indian Prestige Mixie. WHat I love about this Wahl is its ability to cope with tiny amounts. Like a say, it is a perfect-at-one-job tool

Quote:
I also ruined a "Coffee Grinder" when I tried to grind Til. Most probably if you did grind wet/oily stuff, then it has leaked into the bearing and jammed it.
. So first step will be to check the smoothness of the shaft.
. If it is slightly tight, then dismantle it, clean the shafts and bearings.
. If it is smooth, then the motor is damaged.
. If it has a capacitor, check/change it.
. If the problem still persists, then get the motor rewound.

If there are brushes on the motor, then could have been worn out or glazed due to heat. If you can take a look at the brushes and commutator. If glazed, just sand the commutator and the brushes with fine sandpaper. That should to the trick
See the photos above. I notice marks on the commutator. The brushes cannot easily be removed, due to that soldered capacitor on each one. The brush holder, to which it attached, is not screwed but riveted to the motor body.

Is it tight? It is not free-spinning loose, but I don't think it ever was.
Old 7th October 2015, 19:39   #5549
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I know... this is just not worth the trouble. Thank you for your time, and may I take a little more?

That would be good! Also acknowledge and note previous suggestion about Richie Street rewinders working with microwave parts.

I see two "ends," Should they be there? There is no sign that there were ever joined.
(spot the useless-at-graphics-with-a-mouse marker)

It is a 'universal' motor and by the looks of it the winding is not too difficult to rewind. It can be done at less than Rs.1000/- not far from your home.

If it has shorted windings, you should not run that for long. Probably just long enough to check for overheating winding which will confirm the shorted winding diagnosis. This kind of motors don't have start/running capacitors (which fail over a period of time) like the induction motors (they do service in pumps, fans, compressors etc). But then Thad - you know all these already.
Old 7th October 2015, 20:48   #5550
Distinguished - BHPian

Like, local-street mixie repair guy?

If so, I'll get Mrs G onto it while she's still feling guilty because it was her powder I was grinding .

Actually, I don't blame her at all: it was entirely due to my misuse based on lack of understanding.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks