Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2011, 20:20   #76
BHPian

Re: 5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !

I've got a HP C4188 Print, Scan and Copy printer.
My problem is that it is very expensive to use!
Cartridges cost about Rs. 2000 and they hardly seem to last!
I've read about how these companies price their printers cheap and then charge a bomb on the cartridges.
I'm thinking of replacing it with something that is cheaper to run.
Main requirements are a scanner and cheap refills.
Any suggestions?
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:22   #77
BHPian

A good fax machine?

We need a good plain paper fax machine, costing sub 15K. It is required for a small office for raceiving and sending 15/20 pages each daily.

Suggestions/guidance required pl.

Mod: Pl shift to a thread for FAX, if any. I could not find one.
Old 27th July 2011, 19:17   #78
BHPian

Guys, I have a need at home to purchase to print, copy and scan. Here is my requirement.

Print
1. Volume not be more than 50 pages a month.
2. Network and duplex printing options required.
3. No need for color printing

Scan
1. Digitally file/store documents and other artifacts (ex: invoices, IT returns etc.,)
2. Digitizing old film negatives
3. Digitizing old pictures (the one's I don't have negatives)

I'd have approximately 500-700 nos of #2 and #3.

Copy
1. Not more than 50 pages a month.

Other requirements
- Low cost of printing per page. Cheaper cartridges/toner.
- Covered paper feeder tray (input)
- Good overall service from the company.

What would you guys recommend?

1. My eyes have been on a laserjets only. Any others?

2. Who is a better manufacturer? (HP vs Samsung vs Canon vs Xerox). Service and long term maintenance are important here.

3. Do you guys suggest a separate scanner and a network duplex printer (or) buy a MFP and a separate scanner to scan my film/photographs? The second scanner becomes redundant here as well.

4. Any idea on how much would it cost to get the pictures and films scanned professionally outside? I just wish someone can lend me one.

5. If yes to #3, which scanner would you recommend would meet my film and photo scanning? Would love to hear any prior experiences? If I buy a scanner separately, I'd have to forego the copy requirement. I'd have to teach folks at home how to scan a document and print, instead of just hitting a button on the device, which can be challenge.

Here is my initial sweep of the market.
1. Mono laser printers offers a good bang for the buck when it comes to printing (Speed, cost per page, initial investment etc.,)
2. I can't use the scanners offered in MFP's to do film and photo scanning.
3. The input cost of MFP seem to be pretty high when it matches the criteria of print, scan (without film/photo) and copy. For example MRP on HP M1536 is 25k. Given my usage, the investment seems to be unjustified.
4. Covered paper input feeder trays are only present in higher end printers on HP. I however saw them on lower range of Samsung and Xerox.
5. When it comes to toner replacement, prices based on the printer and vendor. Some offer 4000 copies while some 2000. Refilling is still cheap but manufacturers don't recommend it.
6. Most of the MFP's come in-built with a fax machine, though I don't have a need for one .
Old 6th December 2011, 18:21   #79

B/W Multi-Function Laser Printer

Hello fellow BHPians.
Im planning to buy Mono (B/W) Multifunction (Print /Scan/Copy) LASER Printer.
The Budget : below 10K
Also i need the Cartridge Refill to be hassle free and it should produce the same quality of print even after many Refills.
Guys, could you please suggest me a good one.
Thank you

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th December 2011 at 19:16. Reason: Merged to existing thread. Please search before creating a new thread.
Old 9th July 2012, 23:36   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
^^^^
this is different. UnLike most printers epson or Hp, Cannon has got no chip on cart. the eprom keeps track of ink levels. So basically you have to patch the eprom every-time you refill. There is a tool that i use, as by daily printer is MP160. hope it works for you.
Quote:
To enter into service mode Do the following
(MP160)
Hello SirAlec! Been years since I asked this I guess but I only recently got another chance to get the cartridges refilled. I got it refilled by CartridgeWorld again. This time, the printer detected only the black cartridge and didn't recognize the colour one. Reading off the net, I was able to make it detect it fine. But again - it says less ink. Tried using the MPTool as you suggested, even after entering the service mode - no avail. In the sense - when I run the MPTool, it doesn't even recognize the printer. All the buttons are greyed out. Any ideas?
Old 9th July 2012, 23:44   #81
Senior - BHPian

you have to remove the cartridges before using the MP tools. also entering the service mode takes some patience. if buttons are greyed out, you are missing something.
Old 9th July 2012, 23:52   #82
BHPian

Re: A good fax machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
We need a good plain paper fax machine, costing sub 15K. It is required for a small office for raceiving and sending 15/20 pages each daily.

Suggestions/guidance required pl.

Mod: Pl shift to a thread for FAX, if any. I could not find one.
'Brother' brand plain paper fax machines come for around 7-10k. Even Panasonic is in the same range I think.You can check it online on sites like Flipkart / shopclues etc.

Check this link - Price list | Price of Fax Machines - Office - Pricelist India , Reviews and features
Old 10th July 2012, 01:06   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you have to remove the cartridges before using the MP tools. also entering the service mode takes some patience. if buttons are greyed out, you are missing something.
Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I did some googling on the net and none of the solutions had worked. But I finally tried this one - Reset ink level on CANON MP 140 PIXMA PRINTER - FixYa and it worked perfectly. Now the ink levels are all up. Thanks for the help. My bad, didn't try the MPTool after removing cartridges
Old 14th March 2013, 23:27   #84
BHPian

Guys please select one among these. Both looks the same . I don't understand any of the specifications. Please suggest one.
1)Canon Pixma MG2270
2)Canon pixma MP237

http://www.flipkart.com/canon-pixma-...8-e8d0d307c09d

http://www.flipkart.com/canon-pixma-...8-e8d0d307c09d

My requirements:
Just basic printing, scanning and cpoying. The usage will be very less. I am more interested to know the cartrige cost in future. Also suggest me whether choosing HP would be better when compared to Canon.

Last edited by rki2007 : 14th March 2013 at 23:29.
Old 19th March 2014, 21:58   #85
BHPian

HP or BROTHER Laser MFP

I am looking to buy a laser MFP and squared upon these two models based on my requirements

1. PRINT / COPY / SCAN / Fax (Optional)
2. PAPER LOAD - SLIDING TRAY
3. DOUBLE SIDE PRINTING (Proper Duplex is always preferred)
4. ADF is nice to have
5. NETWORK CONNECTIVITY
6. WIFI CONNECTIVITY

Models under consideration:
1. BROTHER MFC-7860DW - Rs.17900 /-
Name:  cq5dam.thumbnail.280.280.png
Views: 614
Size:  55.8 KB

2. HP LASERJET 1218NFS - Rs.17600 /-
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hponline_hplaserjet1218nfsprinter_661x585_100311.jpg

I am more inclined towards Brother, as it has a Sliding compartment mechanism to load paper sheets, compared to HP's pull-open-every-time tray. And also Brother's Toner's are comparatively less priced, than HP's. There are good number of 3rd party toners as well.

My Question
Anyone has experience with Brother products? How good are their printers? Are they reliable? Service available? Or, Should I go for HP (known evil vs. unknown evil)?

Please suggest.
Old 19th March 2014, 22:25   #86
Senior - BHPian

I use the same HP model as in the pic and it is a gem to use.

My usage is limited to photocopy and wireless / wired printing only
Old 19th March 2014, 22:54   #87
BHPian

Well. HP is the best in quality. Coming to the cost, HP is indeed pricier but i also think that it is far more reliable and the number of pages i get is very close to what they advise.
If volume of printing is not very high the ink advantage printers are a good middle ground between razor sharp laser, but expensive and the typical inkjet (high cost per page). I use a ink advantage at home and for normal prints i use draft mode setting on the driver and this gives acceptable qualityy at super low cost.

Also, they support wireless printing and something called e- printing too. Printing from apple devices and android is easy. In the e printing scenario, you acan send files by email to a specific ID and it just goes and gets printed!

Last edited by deep_bang : 19th March 2014 at 22:59.
Old 20th March 2014, 10:57   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Well. HP is the best in quality. Coming to the cost, HP is indeed pricier but i also think ... scenario, you acan send files by email to a specific ID and it just goes and gets printed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I use the same HP model as in the pic and it is a gem to use.

My usage is limited to photocopy and wireless / wired printing only
Thanks for your valuable inputs. I spoke to a guy who does toner-refilling for living. He told me to go for HP, because the toner HP88A is easily refillable and toner-level-hacks are readily available. Also 3rd party toners compatible with HP88A are aplenty. Whereas, Brother's toners if refilled has only 50% chance of succeeding. So his best advice is to go for HP, though it lacks Auto-Duplex printing compared to Brother.

I am ordering the HP 1213NFS MFP.
Old 21st March 2014, 11:13   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
Thanks for your valuable inputs. I spoke to a guy who does toner-refilling for living. He told me to go for HP, because the toner HP88A is easily refillable and toner-level-hacks are readily available. Also 3rd party toners compatible with HP88A are aplenty. Whereas, Brother's toners if refilled has only 50% chance of succeeding. So his best advice is to go for HP, though it lacks Auto-Duplex printing compared to Brother.

I am ordering the HP 1213NFS MFP.
Good Choice

I own 1218nfs. Except for the lack of auto duplex it is a wonderful printer. Wireless function and eprint are very convenient to use.

When using ADF Scan , USB is the best option otherwise for the rest of the features wireless is good.

We have brother MFP in our office but that was the non wireless model. Works pretty good as of now. An year old.
Old 23rd March 2014, 15:56   #90
BHPian

Hp 1218nfs Mfp

Ordered the HP 1218NFS (Print, Scan, Copy, Fax, with USB+Ethernet+Wireless+Hotspot) printer in HP eShopping website for Rs. 17600 and got it delivered in 2 days through BlueDart. Impressive delivery.

Unpacked the printer and configured it as wireless MFP. The setup was breeze, as it supports WPS Wifi connectivity. So far so good. If you plug in the Ethernet cable, the Wifi switches off automatically. Here are some of the initial photos of unpacking and some closeup shots.

Unpacking

The Package - as it arrived
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hpu02.jpg

Opening the cover
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hpu03.jpg

Rolled down to pull up the box
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hpu04.jpg

Box pulled out
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hpu05.jpg

Two thermo pieces holding the printer...
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hpu06.jpg

Removing thermo pieces ...
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hpu07.jpg

Plastic cover
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hpu08.jpg

Plastic cover removed
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hpu09.jpg

Ready for installation!
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hpu10.jpg

Here are some pics of the printer...

Printer is ready, placed next to my TV
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hp01.jpg

The rear
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hp04.jpg

A perspective view
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hp03.jpg

The 88A Toner. Introductory toner has only 700pages yield. The full toner has 1500 pages yield.
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hp05.jpg

Scan Lid opened
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hp06.jpg

The Control panel
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hp07.jpg

ADF Cover opened
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hp08.jpg

The Ports
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hp09.jpg

HP 1218NFS along with its older sibling HP 1018 (size comparison). It is evident that there is lot of parts sharing is carried out.
5 in 1 Printer - Please suggest a good buy !-hp10.jpg

Will post a review later.

Most Viewed