Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2008, 10:44   #136
BHPian

Flash the 5 / 5.5 ipod firmware to free ipod classic firmware .

Your ipod will start behaving almost like the new ipod classic .

I changed my ipod 5.5 80 gb to the new firmware , so it reduces the gap between my ear old ipod and the current classic one.
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:19   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

October 2007.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
In other news today, the Yeti® bought an iPod classic 160GB today, in Bangalore.

He has registered it online and now it is under worldwide warranty.
December 2007
Quote:
My 160GB classic was working perfectly till this evening. I connected it to my Mac and it asked me if I wanted to download a software update.

It was a 50MB download, completed it, it installed and that was the last time my iPod played :(
It gets to the album, song name everything, but the counter will not move from 0:00.

When I connect it to my computer it just hangs completely. So now I cannot format or reset it.

I am most upset. I have a lot of extensive travel lined up this month and I leave for Bangalore tomorrow morning. Will now pester Apple service in Bangalore. Hopefully I'll have it fixed or a new one in the next 5 days, will keep you guys posted.
December 2007
Quote:
Today I recd a brand new 160GB iPod. While this is good news, I had also used the iPod as an external HDD and had about 20 gigs of video and music on it. That stuff is gone.

But I have a new iPod.
January 2008
Quote:
Guess what boys?

My new, replaced 160GB iPod failed again. As usual I sent it to Apple.

After keeping it for 5 days, they've just sent me yet another replacement.

Guess what? I'm on 160 GB iPod number 3 now. What is frustrating is that it takes HOURS to load.

What is scary is what happens when the warranty is over.
And so it happened yesterday. I was updating some songs on the iPod (I use the iPod extensively and daily) and it failed. Wouldn't upload songs, wouldn't update, wouldn't play music.

I tried everything before I called Apple. Of course the guy kindly informed me that my iPod was out of warranty but he would be happy to help on the phone.
We did it all. Reset, Disk Mode, Disk Utility Format - nothing worked.

My iPod had failed. When I called my acquaintance at Apple service he mentioned that it might not be worth repairing the 160GB iPod.

I then sent it to another person who is well-known to me. He runs an iPod repair centre. My repair in time was of prime essence as I cannot live a day without my iPod.
He promised to return it as soon as possible.

It was as I feared. My Hard Drive had crashed. It was replaced and I paid Rs. 5500/- - though I am annoyed, it was better than buying a 120GB iPod for 12500/-

I've used many different iPods over the years. I'm a bit disappointed at the track record of this one.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 2nd June 2009 at 15:20.
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:24   #138
Senior - BHPian

Sam,

your story is scaring me buddy !
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:37   #139
BANNED

I was planning to buy a ipod Classic for the shear memory space it offers. But probably the HDD based player doesn't go well with constant moving around!

I guess a new ipod Touch could be coming by next month as is the next gen. I-Phone. I find touch a better ipod for the convinience of TS & screen size, also the wifi. Still one can get an old gen. iphone for new touch's price, ain't it a better deal? Considering it has added advantage of a phone!

Few days back I was trying to transfer songs from CD to ipod Shuffle, but found the transfer process(i-tunes) really difficult to use. It isn't user friendly & transferring files to Nokia cell phones is much easier job.
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:17   #140
BHPian

The first and last experience for me with the Ipod was the Ipod Mini. It was cool to look at and use the click wheel and nothing beyond. The battery chickened out in less than 8 months, the software started acting up and I tunes restricted my freedom to transfer because it would not play mp3 and wuld convert files to aac.

That was it, 10k was still was a lot of money those days!

I got myself a chunky 30GB Creative Zen Vision M that is still going strong after 3 or more years, battery life is still strong at 10-11 hrs of playback and the freedom to just drag and drop MP3 files! My next buy is the Zen 32GB or the Zen X-Fi and it can play .aac files

Last edited by pranava999 : 2nd June 2009 at 16:19.
Old 5th June 2009, 21:19   #141
BHPian

Quote:
I then sent it to another person who is well-known to me. He runs an iPod repair centre.
Can you please share the contact details of this person?
My 2nd Gen Ipod Nano's wheel is not working properly. Specially center button needs to be pressed hard.
Old 9th October 2009, 14:16   #142
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Need some advice on the ipod front. My dad has been using the first generation 2GB ipod for about 3 years now and the player has finally kicked the bucket.

He wants another ipod now and I see 2 options for him: the 8GB Nano @ $150 or the 8GB touch @ $200. Capacity is same for both options and I think 2000 songs is sufficent as he has barely 800 odd in his library.

He used his old ipod while travelling and to set it on a speaker dock while at home so size is not an issue as well.

So for the most part, he will be listening to music. However, I thought with the touch, he could carry the occasional movie or application but then I realized that the new 8GB touch still has the processor of earlier generation ipods. Does this make that much of a difference?

So my final question is: Which ipod should I end up getting him?

Thanks,
vcash
Old 9th October 2009, 15:00   #143
Senior - BHPian

I managed to buy my first ipod: the new ipod classic 160 gb. Got it through a colleague coming from the US. Total cost US$264/Rs. 13000.

Everything is as expected. However, I am disappointed with the metal quality on the back. Put it on a hard table and it is prone to get scratches. I think it is meant to be kept only on soft surfaces.
Old 9th October 2009, 18:14   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Hi Guys,
Need some advice on the ipod front. My dad has been using the first generation 2GB ipod for about 3 years now and the player has finally kicked the bucket.

He wants another ipod now and I see 2 options for him: the 8GB Nano @ $150 or the 8GB touch @ $200. Capacity is same for both options and I think 2000 songs is sufficent as he has barely 800 odd in his library.

He used his old ipod while travelling and to set it on a speaker dock while at home so size is not an issue as well.

So for the most part, he will be listening to music. However, I thought with the touch, he could carry the occasional movie or application but then I realized that the new 8GB touch still has the processor of earlier generation ipods. Does this make that much of a difference?

So my final question is: Which ipod should I end up getting him?

Thanks,
vcash
I was in the same situation just after the new iPods were launched. I bought a refurbished 8GB touch for 149$. Only difference being it does not come with the 3.1 OS, which is a 5$ upgrade. The exact same hardware as the new 8GB one.

I got it from the Apple Online store from the US and got it delivered by a friend of mine.
Old 10th October 2009, 13:37   #145
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Capacity is same for both options and I think 2000 songs is sufficent as he has barely 800 odd in his library.
2000 songs at a high quality rip took up like 30 - 35 GB on my iPod. I'd say, get a higher capacity (80+ GB) iPod for your Dad. Especially since size is not an issue.

Quote:
I managed to buy my first ipod: the new ipod classic 160 gb. Got it through a colleague coming from the US. Total cost US$264/Rs. 13000.
Congrats! Spend a lot of time in carefully transferring all your music to the itunes control center. It takes time, but is an investment for life. Good time to hook it up to the Altis?

Quote:
Everything is as expected. However, I am disappointed with the metal quality on the back. Put it on a hard table and it is prone to get scratches. I think it is meant to be kept only on soft surfaces.
VERY easily. Best to get a cover. Get one with padding, to protect the ipod if it falls out of your hand.
Old 12th October 2009, 16:22   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats! Spend a lot of time in carefully transferring all your music to the itunes control center. It takes time, but is an investment for life. Good time to hook it up to the Altis?

VERY easily. Best to get a cover. Get one with padding, to protect the ipod if it falls out of your hand.
First point is conditional on me having an Altis. Second have already got.

I had also posted a query on connecting ipod with HT. Got a Bandridge cable for 800 and hooked it to HT (Marantz+Morduant Short). However, I have found that burning mp3 to CD/DVD and then playing that on a DVD player hooked to HT gives a far better quality than hooking ipod to HT. ipod gives a far better interface and control, but lower quality. What could be the reason.
Old 12th October 2009, 17:39   #147
GTO
Team-BHP Support

^^ Oopsie, meant the Corolla. See, Toyota has left all of us confused!
Old 14th October 2009, 11:26   #148
Senior - BHPian

This is a bit OT, but my query about sound quality has still not been answered. Let me put it this way:
1. Burn mp3 320 kbps on CD/DVD player and play on dvd player+amp+speakers: sound set is much lower than:
2. burn mp3 320 kbps on ipod classic and play on amp+speakers thru bainbridge cord: sound set is much higher to get the same effect. Thus, CD gives the same effect at lower sound settings.

Reg. burning, is mp3 vbr at highest quality the best option.
Old 20th October 2009, 11:17   #149
BANNED

wikipedia for new ipod classic 160 gb?

has anyone found the "way" to load wikipedia in the new ipod classic 160GB? AND any good add-on utilities for new ipod classic available . TIA.
Old 12th January 2010, 16:22   #150
Senior - BHPian

Got a 80GB IPOD Classic, its an 2 year old model, my current problem is that it is not giving me adequate battery backup, any solution please

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks