Team-BHP - The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/31260-digital-camera-thread-questions-discussions-etc-108.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 651574)
:) I'll check out these two right away!

for digicams I stick to either of these....

Canon becuase of their digic III software
Fuji only those with the larger 1/1.6" "Super-CCD" sensors.

Panny's TZ3 is an exception not becuase it takes better pictures but becuase in that format (sub 200gms) it is the only cam that has a 10x lens that too with a 28mm wide angle. For a general purpose camera 28mm wide is far nicer to have than a 350-400mm tele.

in fact in most cases you can ignore the 10-12 mega machines are their outputs are too noisy. a great way to short list cameras is to check out their megapixel / sensor size ratio. the lower the better. The Fuji F30/31fd for example is a superb machine but it is (a) discontinued and (b) limited to 35mm at wide angle.

Fuji F31fd is the best "pocket" camera today. That sensor is simply mind blowing. Too bad they screwed up to keep up in the Megapixel race with the F50fd.

Any idea what exactly "Refurbished by Canon" means? I see this a lot on websites like Adorama.

They are giving an attractive price for a IXUS 860 IS (for a relative) and EF 70-200mm F4 L (for me). I was thinking of visiting their NYC store to buy. Any suggestions or caution notices?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo (Post 653862)
Any idea what exactly "Refurbished by Canon" means? I see this a lot on websites like Adorama.

It's a USED CAMERA which CANON refurbishes to NEW condition. It could be a DEMO piece.

-- Torqy

one of the best pocket cams would be Casio Exlim....

AFAIK..these are used cameras/slightly used cameras(demo cameras which have lost orignal packing or are returned by the owner and cannot be sold as new)....they come with canon warranty..

Many of these are defective cams which have been repaired after customer returned for a refund.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 653887)
Many of these are defective cams which have been repaired after customer returned for a refund.

I thought so. But if they are repaired by Canon and comes with a limited manufacturer warranty, will it be safe to buy?

What holds me back is that the price differential is too low, something like USD 50-60. There is a good canon rebate on some L series lenses running till Jan. But I will miss that.

Guys, has any body used the Sony DSC W80 ? Pls give your feedback, and price in India.

TIA !

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 653828)
Fuji F31fd is the best "pocket" camera today. That sensor is simply mind blowing. Too bad they screwed up to keep up in the Megapixel race with the F50fd.

too bad they did not offer a wider lens but maybe the 28mm options they had at time had too much distortion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 656912)
Guys, has any body used the Sony DSC W80 ? Pls give your feedback, and price in India.

TIA !

Hi Condor,

I recently picked up a W80 when i was in Germany, I got a very good deal there, with a 2 gb Card it came upto 11,220 INR (About ~204 Euro's). It is an excellent cam to carry around. Images are decent for this cam, P&S purpose well served. Face detection is quite helpful even in low light.7.1 megs and 3x optical (They claim an ISO 3200 etc etc) I checked the price here it was 14,999 INR with a 1 GB card(A regular store in Forum and the website). Quite steep i feel. If you can get it for a low price here it should be quite enough.

The E3 is not yet released in India, Dec 15th came and went. For once I wanted to see it before buying, at this rate I may again have to get it from abroad.

Since Oly offers international warranty, why do you want to spend more money for the E-3?

What can I say, I wanted to experience retail buying. Except for Olympus IS-3 which I bought in 1993, every other camera I bought over Internet.

Quote:

What are the pros and cons of a monopod part from that it cant stand on its own?
I got good results using a monopod with tele lenses which would not have been possible without the monopod.. I recollect in the mid 80's I managed to get a sharp image with a 300mm f4.5 ed nikkor lens wide open at about 1/30th sec of a tigress at ranthambor national park, still have those fujichrome transparencies...

This june I saw two pro's from UK who spent a month in may/june in ranthambore they were using monopods with their canon 500mm f4.

Great going through all these posts on the digital thread... I use to be a advertising photographer, used 35mm, 120 & 4"x5" cameras.. I now live in the country & am keen on bird photography... managed to get a image of a eurasian eagle owl & a crested serpent eagle...:)

sat

Sat, how about posting some images from your collection.

Meanwhile, dpreview has posted Sony Alpha 700 review. What is more interesting, they have pitted it against the other middle weight dSLRs namely 40D, D300 and E-3.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Review: 30. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review (checkout ISO comparision)
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Review: 22. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review