Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2008, 10:24   #3001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I am planning to pick up a zoom lense for my 1000D.

Which of these would be a better buy?

1.Canon EF 55-250mm IS f/4-5.6 Lens.
2.Tamron AF 18-250mm Di II XR LD f/3.5-6.3 [IF] Aspherical Macro.
3.Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM.
I would suggest the 55-250 zoom from this list... A better one would be 70-300IS, but that depends on budget too. Also i assume you have the kit lens.

BTW why not add a 50/1.8? Would not pinch your pocket much...

Quote:
Also how much difference does a lens with IS make?
I am familiar with 4-stop canon IS, and it is pretty effective. At about 200mm you can handhold upto 1/25sec or so. But that again subject to conditions like if you are not breathing heavily, etc...
Old 4th November 2008, 11:20   #3002
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to pick up a zoom lense for my 1000D.

Which of these would be a better buy?

1.Canon EF 55-250mm IS f/4-5.6 Lens.
2.Tamron AF 18-250mm Di II XR LD f/3.5-6.3 [IF] Aspherical Macro.
3.Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM.

Or do you guys suggest a better lens?

Also how much difference does a lens with IS make?
McLaren, Blindly go in for the 55-250 IS assuming you already have the 18-55.
Long zooms like the 18-200 have lot of inconsistencies at the both ends(18 & 200) i.e chromatic abberation's,fringing etc. If you dont mind changing lenses, 55-250 IS is a brillaint VFM lens for the price, quite sharp too. I have been using the lens from 6 months and have fallen for its performance. It has got a 0.31x magnification factor which is quite good for Macros as well.

Lens with IS gives you a 3-4 stop advantage and is quite good comfortable to take low light shots with shutter speeds like 1/10, 1/13. The same without IS you could manage with like 1/30 (This solely depends on how steady your hand held shots are, i know some people might disagree but for me there is a teeny bit of shake when i snap and hence these values were deduced.)
if you are used to Tripod regularly when you click at night/late evening's then the IS dosent matter,i.e. a non IS lens would work as well. Go through this link :
Wildlife Times - glimpses of our natural world
Old 4th November 2008, 11:24   #3003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I would go for the Panasonic TZ-5. Has the zoom and wide angle. I got 2 friends to buy that and they love it.
I myself was looking for Panasonic DMC-TZ4 here in navi mumbai/mumbai but unable anywhere however lately i found this model is sold as TZ11 and the TZ5 as TZ15 in Asia.

Surprisingly the TZ11 (TZ4) is pulled out from all the shops here in navi mumbai/mumbai by Panasonic managment w/o any reason. No stock available. Insiders say they are trying to collect all the models and sell to a big retailer. I coudnt find this even at Croma, Sumaria, Reliance Digital, JJ-Mehta(Dadar).

Price quoted:
JJ Mehta - 15k/-
Sumaria initially qouted the price for TZ11 as 8995/- later after couple of calls to them, they updated their website and now quote 15995/- (thou stock not available)

Are there any good shops where i can get this at a good price in warranty?

Cheers~
Old 4th November 2008, 11:34   #3004
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I was wondering if he should go with the Sigma 18-200 since the kit lens on the EOS 1000D doesn't have IS
Suman, the 1000D or the Rebel XS comes with IS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
I would suggest the 55-250 zoom from this list... A better one would be 70-300IS, but that depends on budget too. Also i assume you have the kit lens.

BTW why not add a 50/1.8? Would not pinch your pocket much...
Yes, I have the 18-55mm IS kit lens with me. I thought about the 70-300IS but since I am new to dslr's thought I'll first get to learn to use the cam before splurging on expensive lenses. I did use a friends Tamaron 70-200mm though, results were pretty satisfactory even in low lighting conditions.

Yes, the 50/1.8 is already decided. Just wanted to freeze on the zoom lens for now. Id like to get my hands on the fish eye too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
McLaren, Blindly go in for the 55-250 IS assuming you already have the 18-55.
Long zooms like the 18-200 have lot of inconsistencies at the both ends(18 & 200) i.e chromatic abberation's,fringing etc. If you dont mind changing lenses, 55-250 IS is a brillaint VFM lens for the price, quite sharp too. I have been using the lens from 6 months and have fallen for its performance. It has got a 0.31x magnification factor which is quite good for Macros as well.

Lens with IS gives you a 3-4 stop advantage and is quite good comfortable to take low light shots with shutter speeds like 1/10, 1/13. The same without IS you could manage with like 1/30 (This solely depends on how steady your hand held shots are, i know some people might disagree but for me there is a teeny bit of shake when i snap and hence these values were deduced.)
if you are used to Tripod regularly when you click at night/late evening's then the IS dosent matter,i.e. a non IS lens would work as well. Go through this link :
Wildlife Times - glimpses of our natural world
I have pretty steady hands. Taken quite a few pics where I had to like wait for ages and they have come out pretty well. But, yes nothing can replace a tripod. I am picking up a tripod, the 50mm and a zoom lens (recommended here).

Btw, is it worth getting them from the USA? Because a friend is returning from there on the 12th of this month and has been kind enough to get them for me if it makes sense.

Guys, thanks for all the inputs.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:08   #3005
BHPian

Quote:
Not in India. The 1000D sold in India (officially by Canon) comes with Non-IS kit lens.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:18   #3006
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Not in India. The 1000D sold in India (officially by Canon) comes with Non-IS kit lens.
Oh! Didn't know that. I picked up my cam in China.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:22   #3007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Check the file numbers, thats the easiest way, but that can be reset. In that case only canon can tell you.
If you can investigate the camera, go for it. Its better to buy from some known source.
Refurbished bodies are a better bet, but in that case also its impossible to be sure!
I'm thinking of picking up an XS now. Is the 18-55mm IS kit lens that comes with it any good? A lot of people tell me that kit lenses aren't really that good and I should get a 50mm lens to start off with.I believe the 50mm lens has a much sharped imagine than the kit lens and the only thing you lose out on is zoom. All this is so confusing!!
Old 4th November 2008, 12:34   #3008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rahul, the one sold here by Canon India does not have IS. If you got yours from outside India or the grey market, it would.

Quote:
Btw, is it worth getting them from the USA? Because a friend is returning from there on the 12th of this month and has been kind enough to get them for me if it makes sense.
Check out bhphotovideo.com for US prices - I find that India prices are cheaper.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:51   #3009
BHPian

Quote:

Its better to buy here with local warranty. Not much price difference also, actually it seems cheaper here. Rs 12500 with b&w. In USA it seems to be 260$ (260 $*50= Rs 13,000)

Last edited by redrage : 4th November 2008 at 12:52.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:55   #3010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^Excellent combo but I'm not sure about the prices. The body price seems okay but the lens price seems high. Internationally the 17-55 f/2.8 retails for around 900$. So thats around 45k at current exchange rates. 22k more for warranty sounds like a rip off.
canon official prices are 70K for 50D body and 70K for 17-55 lens. interestingly canon is selling 50D for *nearly* same price as 40D at least going by the MSRP!

the seller is suggesting that i buy 50D body with B&W (Rs 62K) and lens without B&W at USD equivalent price (~Rs 50K instead of Rs 67K with B&W). but i guess i will stick to B&W deal and try to get the best price.

btw, i have visited Canon Image Lounge (Ground floor, Brigade Towers) - pretty good place to get a feel of canon products! Worth visiting.
Old 5th November 2008, 10:52   #3011
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Canon 50D : 62K (this seems OK)
Canon EF-S 17-55: 67K (this seems a bit steep, I am torn between this and 24-105L)
The 24-105 is a stop slower but is sharper and will hold you well if you ever miagrate to FF. If however APS-C is good enough for your needs the 17-55 is a pretty good lens.
Old 5th November 2008, 15:12   #3012
Team-BHP Support

24 will not be wide enough on APS-C
you can look at the 17-50 offerings from sigma/tamron.
Even the Sigma 17-70 is a decent beast
Old 5th November 2008, 19:02   #3013
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The 24-105 is a stop slower but is sharper and will hold you well if you ever miagrate to FF. If however APS-C is good enough for your needs the 17-55 is a pretty good lens.
FF bodies are very heavy for my not-for-profit, just-for-fun usage. my usage is mainly for travel, vacation, kids, family type of pictures. also hand-held usage (no tripod, no flash) is the criteria. so i am assuming APS-C + F2.8 should serve me well. but I loved the 5D viewfinder, it is superb - but too heavy!

I am of the hope that the EF-S lens collection will only get better - we already have near-L-quality EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55. I expect a good quality EF-S lense for ~55-200 range in near future.
Old 5th November 2008, 21:50   #3014
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I expect a good quality EF-S lense for ~55-200 range in near future.
Canon has a slow but decent 55-200 lens ($200), the next step up is the FF compatible 70-300IS ($500). I too would love to see Canon introduce a 77mm APS-C 55-250/2.8 IS (at say $1000) but I believe what's stopping them is (a) fear of canabalising sales of the 70-200/4 IS and (b) control of pincushion/barrel distortion on a f/2.8 (APS-C) lens that covers 5x.
Old 5th November 2008, 23:15   #3015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Digital Cameras Side-by-Side, 8 cameras: Digital Photography Review

I have been looking at the ones on table in the link. Tried to do some research my way. Which is better?

any other option?

need a simple, easy to use and fast P&S with good Image quality. Screen quality needs to be extra good as it is going to be for parents.
Panny's have crap image quality, never heard some using samsung cams.
Canon and Sony would be a good option from the list.
Canon SD 950 seems too be the best, its small has lesser pixel density(comparatively) but isnt wide enough @ 36mm wide angle. The Sony W170's got the 28mm wide angle but starts at F 3.3, one step slower than regular cams, W300 again has 35mm wide angle side and is comparatively expensive.
Too pick out of the lot the Nikon's have decent specs on paper (wide angle and regular F number) More Mega pixels dont really help that much though, i guess u could decide for ur self now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I would go for the Panasonic TZ-5. Has the zoom and wide angle. I got 2 friends to buy that and they love it.
Stay away from panny's unless ur buying LX-3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
all right....yea i saw that bout the zoom wen i was comparing the two...im getting inclined to the SX10 IS....

:-)

rev
You might like the SX1 IS(next gen S5 IS), yet too be launched though. its got some extra's over the sx10

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
actually i was gonna buy the S3 IS itself but thought since im getting a new one rather get the S5 IS....secondly my dad uses it as well and is v comfortable with the S3 so wants the S5 also...

can some one help me find it online..im looking but cant find it any where..its out of stock in most stock in most stores...(i will be buying it from the US) and whats the largest mem card i can use with it without any lag or problems.

rev

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot Pro Series S5 IS 8.0MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom: Electronics

Why don't you wait for a bit and get the SX1, the S5's next gen with a cmos sensor, 18x zoom and hd video ect. Considering canon the menu's ect are going too be exactly the same, all buttons seem too be the same too.
Or even the SX10 is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
this is a pic I have taken on 14th of this month with the above mentioned camera:

Attachment 61179

Thanks to the 10x optical zoom it offers i could take the pic. The image has been cropped to show only the Moon. The pic was taken with out a Tripod with the support of railing.
Nice. And i thought i was just the weird one doing stuff like that!
here's my pic. 6x optical zoom, canon P&S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
This picture was taken on dussehra evening. Was taken out of the case, clicked, the pox appeared. At first I thought it's the external screen. Anyways, I still cleaned the lense, clicked again. This time, more pox.
Doesn't "pox" appear in all outdoor night snaps where flash is used.
Happens all the time with my P&S, best too go without the flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
No reply ! Come on guys i have just 1 week in hand!
Hope you didn't get the G9, the G10 is out its got a 28mm 5x lense, brighter viewfinder, more dedicated dials, an advantage over the G9. u'd get it for 18-20K grey market, its not gonna hit the official Indian market till july-august next year, plus @30K in India its not worth the wait.
Also look at the lumix LX-3(24-60mm, F-2.0-2.8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Go for the Canon G9 - Its an excellent camera according to most reviews.
It was.
check -> This <- out.

Can someone confirme whether the S5is has a built in 3 step Neutral Density filter(nd filter) like some other canons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Go for the Canon G9 - Its an excellent camera according to most reviews.
It was.Check -> This <- out.
BTW the best can brought out of the G9 ONLY if one sticks too snapping RAW images and processing them, in cam processing isn't great shakes.

(
cant edit my post and add, just seconds late- sorry mods)
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-upload.jpg  

Last edited by aah78 : 6th November 2008 at 01:16. Reason: Posts merged on request.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks