Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2009, 12:47   #3121
Senior - BHPian

Canon Digital IXUS 800IS

I have a 6 MP Canon Digital IXUS 800 IS. I am a bit confused about the memory card compatibility for the same. I am unable to locate its user manual hence seeking help of fellow members here.

1. Is there a maximum capacity of SD card that it can take?

2. Can it accept SDHC cards?

AFAIK, HC cards were compatible with all cameras released in 2007 and thereafter. My camera was launched in Feb 2006 and as per the Wikipedia page Canon Digital IXUS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it cannot accept SDHC cards.

However, many other cameras released in 2006 can accept SDHC
Old 21st January 2009, 13:05   #3122
BHPian

Guys,
I'm having a 8.0 mega pixel, 5X optical and 3x digital zoom Kodak C875 easy share. (32 shooting modes, with 1 GB memory card)
I wish to sell that, and M very confused which ones to go for. My requirement is 10 mega pixel. Not much requirement on zoom.
My budget is 15 to 16K. I'm more keen on buying an SLR. Also any idea how much I get a resale value for my KODAK.
Old 21st January 2009, 16:29   #3123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatinchoubal View Post
Guys,
My budget is 15 to 16K. I'm more keen on buying an SLR. Also any idea how much I get a resale value for my KODAK.
yatinchoubal, I presume you are talking about dSLRs and not SLRs. There are no dSLRs that sell at 15k-16k. You should atleast have around 22k-25k to invest in a decent entry-level dSLR. This again will have a normal kit lens, which you may find limiting and you would have to invest another 10k at least to go in for a lens which has better zoom and macro capabilities.

I would advice you to go in for prosumer cameras with decent zooms such as Canon S5 IS, Panasonic FZ-28 or FZ-18 orSony H50, H10, H7, etc. whichever you find best suits your requirements and budget. Most of these cameras are good and within your budget.

Also, I will advise you to do some secondary research on the Internet, which will give you a better idea about which cam to go for.

All the best in your search!
Old 21st January 2009, 16:58   #3124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
yatinchoubal, I presume you are talking about dSLRs and not SLRs. There are no dSLRs that sell at 15k-16k. You should atleast have around 22k-25k to invest in a decent entry-level dSLR. This again will have a normal kit lens, which you may find limiting and you would have to invest another 10k at least to go in for a lens which has better zoom and macro capabilities.

I would advice you to go in for prosumer cameras with decent zooms such as Canon S5 IS, Panasonic FZ-28 or FZ-18 orSony H50, H10, H7, etc. whichever you find best suits your requirements and budget. Most of these cameras are good and within your budget.

Also, I will advise you to do some secondary research on the Internet, which will give you a better idea about which cam to go for.

All the best in your search!
Hey thanks a lot buddy. I will definetly search for the ones you have mentioned. Well, m not into much of photography as profession, but love to click, when ever i have free time. thatz why I can spend a max for 15k - 17 K, & the reason for my budget.

Also dude, but any idea, how much I could get for my Kodak?
Old 21st January 2009, 20:27   #3125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindSpeeDs View Post
If budget permits get either a canon G10 (has the best low iso performance even when compared to some DSLRs)
What DSLR's are those?
Old 21st January 2009, 21:48   #3126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
What DSLR's are those?
dSLR eg Canon 1000D. G10 would as good as the dSLR at base iso performance under ideal conditions. Wouldnt still be as good as a dSLR in real world situations.
Check this out-Kidding
Old 22nd January 2009, 00:26   #3127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatinchoubal View Post
Also dude, but any idea, how much I could get for my Kodak?
I cannot say buddy as Kodak EasyShare C875 camera is currently phased out and there are new models available from 4.5k onwards.. I think you might get 3k to 4k max on your old camera.
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:17   #3128
BHPian

teleconvertor for canon s3

Hi

I have a canon s3 that features a 12x zoom. Now, i want to add the teleconvertor that is available for this model and visited the canon image lounge on brigade road and the guy out there said the one available was a 1.5x lens. The next statement he made shocked me and hence this post. He told me that the max zoom even after adding the teleconvertor lens would be 13.5x. I was always under the impression that if i added the teleconvertor i would get a multiplication of the old zoom with 1.5 rather than an addition.

Can someone please clear this doubt for me and tell me what the actual effect of adding a 1.5x teleconvertor to my camera would be. Also, on a related note, how clear would pictures be once i add on the new lens
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:40   #3129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perez View Post
Hi

I have a canon s3 that features a 12x zoom. Now, i want to add the teleconvertor that is available for this model and visited the canon image lounge on brigade road and the guy out there said the one available was a 1.5x lens. The next statement he made shocked me and hence this post. He told me that the max zoom even after adding the teleconvertor lens would be 13.5x. I was always under the impression that if i added the teleconvertor i would get a multiplication of the old zoom with 1.5 rather than an addition.

Can someone please clear this doubt for me and tell me what the actual effect of adding a 1.5x teleconvertor to my camera would be. Also, on a related note, how clear would pictures be once i add on the new lens
It would be 12 x 1.5 and not 12+1.5. The max aperture also would get multiplied by 1.5 (making it a tad slow). Picture quality does definitely degrade. Am not sure how much the converter costs, might be a good idea to sell the s3 is and go for the sx10 is. Am sure the prices of sx10 would drop further.
Old 23rd January 2009, 18:21   #3130
BHPian

correct MindDpeeDs,

it would be 12 * 1.5 = 18 X and not 13.5 as canon guy mentioned

he wouldn't know probably though he ideally shud

Rajeev
Old 24th January 2009, 09:31   #3131
BHPian

What Budget DSLR - Nikon D40 , Sony A200K or Canon EOS 1000D

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a cheap (but reasonably good) DSLR. I'm trying to decide between the Nikon D40 , Sony A200K or Canon EOS 1000D. I most probably will be sticking to the kit lenses as of now. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 24th January 2009, 13:03   #3132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpayne View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a cheap (but reasonably good) DSLR. I'm trying to decide between the Nikon D40 , Sony A200K or Canon EOS 1000D. I most probably will be sticking to the kit lenses as of now. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Guess it is best to rule out the sony. Go for either a Canon 1000D or Nikon D60, both should cost around the same and, come with reasonably good kit lens. Canon is a better high iso performer but has sacrificed spot metering but then Nikon has no built in AF motor, gave away bracketing etc., I would lean towards the 1000D.
Old 27th January 2009, 16:13   #3133
BHPian

What would be good buy for about 9-10k ? I would in Japan next week. I am a complete noob with cameras. I guess Japan would be cheaper. What could be the models I could look for?
Old 28th January 2009, 09:57   #3134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
What would be good buy for about 9-10k ? I would in Japan next week. I am a complete noob with cameras. I guess Japan would be cheaper. What could be the models I could look for?
On the contrary might actually be on the higher side in Japan.
If you are willing to stretch a bit - canon sx110 is, panasonic fz 28 or sony H10 (might get this in that range though).

in the lower range: -
panasonic LZ8, sony W120, canon A590 is or canon SD 790 is (might be a bit more thn the others mentioned in the lower range).
Old 28th January 2009, 13:26   #3135
Senior - BHPian

Check with @rkbharat - he has bought a camera when he was there and knows the prices in different places. Generally cheaper online (unfortunately it is all in J) or in shops where only Japanese frequent. Prices are cheaper than India, but not as low as US (you aren't going there anyhow, so don't fret!)

There are a few 'duty-free' shops, but one doesn't find a lot of choice.

Don't worry, unlike a few years back, almost all models meant for Japan have English selectable in the menu. Feel free to try them out in large stores like Bic Camera etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks