Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2009, 13:38   #3211
BHPian

Interesting, i never noticed that. Cross checked too notice the same.

A google search yeilded this page.
ImpulseAdventure - How many Megapixels? Digital Camera Resolution?

Quote:
Why do some Canon cameras set the resolution to 180 DPI?
For the longest time, I tried to figure out why the Canon 10d generated photos that were tagged with a resolution of 180 DPI. Why not 300? After giving it some more thought, it likely that they wanted the 6.0 megapixel camera to automatically imply a print size of 11 x 14 inches for advertising purposes (but notice that this requires a lower resolution than the 300 DPI that is standard for printing).
Quote:
There are three issues that you have brought up... it turns out that none of them are actually related! I'll try to give you an idea of each:
  • DPI - The DPI setting that each camera sets for an image is essentially meaningless. They could have set it to 1000 DPI and it would not have changed the image. The DPI setting is basically a way of telling your photo software / printer what the default image size should be, but you can set it later to whatever dimensions you like (at the expense of resolution). This DPI value has confused a lot of people!
  • Image Sharpness - Most digital cameras require some degree of sharpening (due to the way that the sensor is arranged/used). Point and shoot cameras tend to do this in-camera, while digital SLRs leave it up to you. If you are seeing differences in image sharpness for the same composition, etc., then it may be due to differences in quality of the lens, the use of digital zoom, and image processing in the camera itself. Canon is fairly well regarded for image quality, so it wouldn't be too surprising to see a difference.
  • Image Quality setting - Unfortunately, the names and meanings of the quality setting is completely vendor-dependent. In other words, each manufacturer chooses its own names for their highest image quality setting. Some use fine while others use super fine or maximum. You cannot compare quality settings between different manufacturers for many reasons (if you are interested in the details, read about quantization tables). But, in general, one should always use the highest quality setting, and simply reduce the image size if you are tight on space. Lower image quality settings (while they reduce file size) introduce some pretty unpleasant compression artifacts that may be much more frustrating than a smaller image!

Quote:
You don't need to, and in fact cannot, change the DPI resolution as recorded by your camera. To be completely honest, it's a meaningless number. Your camera records a fixed number of pixels (3.2 million) in large mode. It is your choice (in the photo editing software) what physical dimensions you want for the final print. Obviously, the larger the print, the lower the DPI that you are effectively using.

When enlarging, it is best to choose a minimum DPI that is acceptable for your final output (most people aim for 300 DPI, but 240 or even 200 may be acceptable). Since your camera records 2048 x 1536 pixels, this means ~ 5" x 7" @ 300DPI, 6.5" x 8.5" @ 240DPI or 8" x 10" @ 200DPI. You can define this resolution (or conversely, output dimensions) in Photoshop (via the Image Size dialog using the Resample option). This will override any DPI setting that your camera may have written into the original file. The whole concept of DPI settings from the camera has certainly confused a lot of people!

Just as an aside, the superfine mode simply describes the level of compression that you are using (not resolution), which is another contributor to overall image quality.
Old 7th April 2009, 12:04   #3212
capri_cap

Kodak m1033. 10 mpx.

Old 15th April 2009, 13:04   #3213
BHPian

I do not know any thing about digital camera and need your advice to buy one decent one.

I saw an add in T-bHP classified for Panasonic DMC-TZ3 and I even contacted the seller but before I arrange the money, it was sold out.

Now I am planning to buy a new one with in the range of Rs. 5000 - 10000, which is the best one you suggest.

Note that I am used click video from the digital camera and I want that my camera has the zoom working while recording videos.

Do I need to strech my budget?? Suggestions pls..
Old 15th April 2009, 13:58   #3214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
Can you please tell em the source? Also any idea about Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1?

Where and what price can I get it?
I bought it from chandni chowk - Golu bhai's shop. Just go to camera market in chandni chowk and ask anybody about golu's shop. Everybody knows him. The market price was 15.5 k while I got my TZ4 for 12.5 k with 3 years Original panasonic warrany card.
Dnt have any idea about the ZS1 (TZ6). But after using the Z4 I am sure that you will like the ZS1 with 10MP and 12x zoom. Its definitely going to be a good buy. But if you can stretch your budget a bit then y not the DMC-LX3?
Old 27th April 2009, 00:19   #3215
BHPian

Guys,

Do you recommend Panasonic FZ28 against Canon SX10IS. I have a GS400 3CCD Can and I really love the Panasonic Leica Dicomar lens.
Old 27th April 2009, 11:33   #3216
Team-BHP Support

The FZ28 is an excellent camera. Check out the dpreview review for both, I think the panny scores better
Old 27th April 2009, 22:19   #3217
BHPian

I too wud recommend a Panny FZ28 anyday. Canon SX10 is neck to neck with FZ28, but the only advantage of Panny is the more truer pics compared to the slightly enhanced SX10 pics. Also, the noise is very much controlled in Panny at higher ISOs. Thats what the reviews say everywhere....

Good luck in choosing your cam!
Old 28th April 2009, 00:29   #3218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
I do not know any thing about digital camera and need your advice to buy one decent one.

I saw an add in T-bHP classified for Panasonic DMC-TZ3 and I even contacted the seller but before I arrange the money, it was sold out.

Now I am planning to buy a new one with in the range of Rs. 5000 - 10000, which is the best one you suggest.

Note that I am used click video from the digital camera and I want that my camera has the zoom working while recording videos.

Do I need to strech my budget?? Suggestions pls..
I am no expert in this field. But i suggest you the canon A590IS. Its present rate is between 9000 - 9600. There are news that canon has shut its production but i find it as the most vfm camera in this budget. Experts can comment more on it.
Old 28th April 2009, 00:44   #3219
BHPian

Agreed and will go with FZ28 due to its RAW, 720P, Low Noise and sharpness.

Still want to confirm that, is it worth getting a Canon SX1 IS instead of FZ28. Will paying extra 10k worth for the Canon SX1 IS? Are FZ28 will be a better buy?
Old 28th April 2009, 10:29   #3220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
Agreed and will go with FZ28 due to its RAW, 720P, Low Noise and sharpness.

Still want to confirm that, is it worth getting a Canon SX1 IS instead of FZ28. Will paying extra 10k worth for the Canon SX1 IS? Are FZ28 will be a better buy?
I'd recommend the FZ28. But if you are unsure about panasonic and want to go with Canon, then go for sx10IS. Many reviews of SX1IS say that it doesn't give you many more advantages over the SX10IS other than the type of sensor.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:52   #3221
BHPian

After a month of dilly-dallying over the budget and specs for the camera I wanted ( whether prosumer or sleek types, budget 6K to 15K ) finally on a impulse fell for the Samsung S1060 on Saturday when Chroma advertised it for 7K. This is 10 MP, 5x Optical Zoom, 2.7 inch LCD visible even in daylight. face detection, digital image stabilisation, upto 1600 ISO though noisy as can be expected beyond ISO 800. It is taking good pictures even in darkness though the flash is too powerful leading to overexposure. Color saturation in on the higher side though pictures are sharp.

But overall would suit me in Auto focus mode. No intention to take videos as I have a Panasonic Cam for that which has more than 15x optica zoom.
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:32   #3222
sat
BHPian

Panasonic DMC LX3 Camera - where can I buy?

I would like to purchase a dmc Lx3 camera in India. Would appreciate if anyone can give me contact details of shops/dealers.

Any idea what the cost is?

finally a decent compact (24mm-60mm) 10mp camera which shoots in raw.

sat
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:55   #3223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
I would like to purchase a dmc Lx3 camera in India. Would appreciate if anyone can give me contact details of shops/dealers.

Any idea what the cost is?

finally a decent compact (24mm-60mm) 10mp camera which shoots in raw.

sat
Rs.29990 @ jjmehta along with 2GB SD Card and Camera Pouch at- Panasonic Lumix LX3 Digital Camera - 10 Megapixel
Old 4th May 2009, 08:23   #3224
sat
BHPian

thank you janitha..

I called panasonic gurgaon, they quoted 32,000 with bill.

In the US its $ 440 with 1 gig sd card.
Panasonic - Camera Land NY
Old 4th May 2009, 09:07   #3225
Team-BHP Support

Lumix LX3 is a fantastic camera, but with a ludicrous price tag. How can you have a compact P&S costing more than many entry level dSLRs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks