Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2008, 23:35   #3091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
The Vivitar flash went kaput after 160 odd flash recycles. ...
What happened? That's a rather sudden demise. Won't the seller replace it? So what that it costed 800/-.
Quote:
I plan get a 430EX and a wide angle converter instead of getting a panny. ...
What exactly are you trying to do? Zara khulasa karenge janaab? Your expression was very confusing.
Old 27th December 2008, 21:35   #3092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What happened? That's a rather sudden demise. Won't the seller replace it? So what that it costed 800/-.
What exactly are you trying to do? Zara khulasa karenge janaab? Your expression was very confusing.
Dunt know how less-confusing this one'd be.

The vivitar didn't come with warranty.

I find the 35mm on the current cam a handicapp at times. Was looking to get a 28mm compact and had zeroed in on Lumix LX3.
Got to use the vivitar for function at home, priorities changed. Found bouncing a flash way better than the crappy in-the-face-flash that comes with the camera.
Doesn't make sense to have 2 cameras, thought i'll go for a 58mm wide angle converter for when i need it and have a TTL flash for group pics we take very often, instead of getting the lumix LX3.

So, if im getting a 430EX i dont mind spending a touch more and getting 580 & Canon sells the wide angle converter,teleconverter & adapter as a combo. not seperately, which it does everywhere else in the world. Was looking at Ebay to get a .75x teleconverter, confused about quality.
Old 28th December 2008, 20:37   #3093
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm, difficult choice.

The external tele-converter over the regular zoom lens will come with its own peculiarities - optical distortion and increase in f/stop number. Increase in f/stop number would mean that your camera will constantly try to use a slower shutter speed (or 1/60 if it knows you are using flash) - since you cannot always say "hello everyone, please freeze" at a function, that would mean risk of incidental motion blur!

Better buy either from a known e-store who know their stuff, or better still visit a real shop and try it out first.
Old 28th December 2008, 21:48   #3094
BHPian

apologies for the typo- i meant wide angle converter and not
Quote:
Was looking at Ebay to get a .75x teleconverter, confused about quality.
Which would get the cams 35mm down to 26mm

The shops don't stock wide angle converters, have tried to check them out.
I find the 35 mm acceptable most of the time, wouldn't be using wide angle converter unless i really want the change in perspective. Found this rayon .7X teleconverter, which claims too be good, wonder if its a good brand.
The flash though, I would use for all indoor snaps.

Thanks a ton.
Old 29th December 2008, 14:08   #3095
BHPian

Hi GUrujis,

I am planning to buy a digital camera. One of my friends who is in UK right now will get it for me from there.

Now comes which one to buy?
My requirements: Around 10 MP. I am not a professional photographer but have very much interest in photograply. I will generally store my pictures in my laptop and will use it for general use(not to take huge print outs). MY budget is 10-12k.

Dont want to buy a SLR as It would be so bulky. Want to buy a compact one. I have sorted out some models like sony T70, T200 , Cannon 90 is. Let me know if you want to suggest some other models. ALso let me know the Price(UK pound).

Thanks
Old 31st December 2008, 23:22   #3096
BHPian

Canon 590is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax View Post
Hi GUrujis,

I am planning to buy a digital camera. One of my friends who is in UK right now will get it for me from there.

Now comes which one to buy?
My requirements: Around 10 MP. I am not a professional photographer but have very much interest in photograply. I will generally store my pictures in my laptop and will use it for general use(not to take huge print outs). MY budget is 10-12k.

Thanks
This is a no brainer either go for the Canon A590is
Canon PowerShot A590 IS digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review

or the Lumix LX3 if you can afford it.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

What ever you do buy a camera with a pixel density( not pixel count) that is the lowest you can afford.

Pixel Density: Camera System: Glossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review

Once you understand the concept of pixel density you will never get fooled into the hype about total pixel count which means sweet nothing for general photgraphers like us. Read as much as you can about pixel density.
Old 5th January 2009, 23:23   #3097

[quote=absynthguzzler;1075096]Your entitled to your opinion but its a tad misappropriated

I sincerely apologize.

Thanks for enlightening me. I'll research personnaly before my finger reaches out to point a finger again.
Old 6th January 2009, 12:02   #3098
BHPian

Definitely go for the Panasonic TZ5..9.1MP, 10x optical zoom !! (no typo) in a compact go anywhere package.
I personally own this cam and it is awesome especially for beginners.
Priced around 250-300$ mark
Old 8th January 2009, 05:18   #3099
BHPian

Thanks For the sugestions.
I personaly liked the Lumix L3. But cant affort it right now :(

I guess will have to wait for some more days for its price to come down

But people says. Panasonic's service is the worst. Is this true?
Old 8th January 2009, 09:25   #3100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Definitely go for the Panasonic TZ5..9.1MP, 10x optical zoom !! (no typo) in a compact go anywhere package.
I personally own this cam and it is awesome especially for beginners.
Priced around 250-300$ mark
I recently got this for my cousin as a wedding present. It was just outstanding, a real VFM at 15.5K in Bangalore.
Old 8th January 2009, 23:01   #3101
BHPian

Where do I get Panny FZ28 in Hyderabad?

Hi Guys ,

I am planning to buy a high-end prosumer camera. I was going through various sites, reading reviews and trying to arrive at one cam. Must say it is a difficult job. First thing is one should know what he wants or requires from a cam, for example, does one need a cam with high resolution, or a mega zoom or some advanced features which are closer to a dSLR cam, or one might go in for a lower-end dSLR cam based on the requirements. I identified what I needed and started searching and reviewing for the same. For me the image quality was important, along with a mega zoom and some features that are not there in the normal prosumer cams.

After reviewing lot of cams, i zeroed down on 2 cams, Canon SX10 IS and Pansonic Lumix FZ28. Frankly speaking choosing either of them won't make a difference as both of them are equally placed. cheers: I have already decided to go in for FZ28 but I would want to tell the reasons for the same. Read on...

While the SX10 has 20x zoom, FZ28 has 18x zoom. SX10 has a flash hot shoe (which I'm really not sure as of now, what it means but I think it means external flash can also be mounted), while FZ28 has a fixed flash. But for me 2 important things that I went for are image quality and some feature that is also found in a dSLR. Both these things I found in FZ28. FZ28 has a slight edge as its images are free of chromatic abberations, due to an internal correction automatically done by the cam once the pic is taken. Second thing is the RAW ability which is available in FZ28 but is not found in SX10. Also, at the maximum zoom, the barrel distortion is a little less in FZ28 when compared to SX10. The price is also about Rs.1500 less compared to SX10

SX10 advantages include slightly more zoom of 20x, a flash hot shoe, a tiltable LCD, slightly heavier body, which some people may like the feel of, and better servicing centers in Hyderabad.

I have decided on buying FZ28. Now the problem is, there are not many Panasonic centers in Hyderabad, I found a couple of them and none of them have the FZ28 as of now. Does anyone in the forum have any idea about when and where this cam would be available in Hyderabad? I'm quite eager to buy it and can't wait to get my hands on it. But I think I will have to wait till this cam is available in Hyd.

Well, please feel free to let me know where I can get hold of this cam.

The views that I expressed are after reading the reviews and not the actual experience of using the cams. People who actually have these cams, may not agree to my rating of FZ28 as slightly better than SX10.
Old 9th January 2009, 00:03   #3102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
But I think I will have to wait till this cam is available in Hyd.

Well, please feel free to let me know where I can get hold of this cam.
Try tokyo-japan centre at haridas market, kothi if you'r okay with the grey market.
Don't think panny service would be a problem.

Reminds me of the trouble i had trying to get a warranty G9 piece last november.
Mailed canon India several times only to get regional distributor numbers in return, too call up and inquire, the regional distributors didn't even know that their company manufactured a cam called G9.....frustrated i mailed canon Singapore asking them when the G9 would be launched in india, got a call from Canon India headquarters the very next day asking me about the singapore mail... the person politely suggested that i buy the G9 of the grey market as canon no plans of launching it in the next 6 months...Bought a G9 from Haridas market the very next day, and more importantly for half the Rupee MRP.

Last edited by gendarmee : 9th January 2009 at 00:06.
Old 9th January 2009, 09:48   #3103
BHPian

Quote:
Try tokyo-japan centre at haridas market, kothi if you'r okay with the grey market.
Don't think panny service would be a problem.

Reminds me of the trouble i had trying to get a warranty G9 piece last november.
Mailed canon India several times only to get regional distributor numbers in return, too call up and inquire, the regional distributors didn't even know that their company manufactured a cam called G9.....frustrated i mailed canon Singapore asking them when the G9 would be launched in india, got a call from Canon India headquarters the very next day asking me about the singapore mail... the person politely suggested that i buy the G9 of the grey market as canon no plans of launching it in the next 6 months...Bought a G9 from Haridas market the very next day, and more importantly for half the Rupee MRP.
But when investing nearly Rs.20,000+, would it be safe to trust the products from the grey market? Do they give any receipt or anything like that? Also, if something happens to the cam, I believe it won't be covered under warranty.

Last edited by saleem_k : 9th January 2009 at 09:48. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 9th January 2009, 11:51   #3104
BHPian

Hi Saleem,

have sent you a PM

Rajeev
Old 9th January 2009, 18:12   #3105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
But when investing nearly Rs.20,000+, would it be safe to trust the products from the grey market? Do they give any receipt or anything like that? Also, if something happens to the cam, I believe it won't be covered under warranty.
Hi Saleem,
Good choice between pany and canon. Though am a canon user, my personal opinion is that at the highest level pany fz is a better choice than sx10.
Regarding the grey market fear, buddy, unless you are one very unlucky soul who gets the rare lemon of a lot, digital cameras are not things which will go wrong easily.Unless you fear dropping it down or handling harshly, it might never need any service center visits.
However, a camera that has inherent design flaws should be avoided in grey market.
eg: canon had recalled some particular model of its camera due to light leakage issue. such recalls may not be applicable to grey purchases.

I had used a canon digital camera for 3 odd years (it was bought with B&W(1+1 yr extended warranty) ) but never needed a repair. So, for my next upgrade I chose grey market route and got a nice deal. I paid the same price I would have paid in US albeit without a warranty of any sort.

About the reciept thingy, they may give you some slip sort of thing-thats just for service warranty they say.Means you have to bear cost of parts ,if such need arises.

I suggest you stick to toky japan center only in haridas market . I did not have good experiences at other shops in that complex,particularly one panasonic shop opposite to Tokyo Japan center (they tried to sell me two year old fuji model as a latest one).
In TJC, you can ask for a bargain of around rs.500 on the price they quote but probably not more.

BTW, as you have already ventured into dslr territory with 20+ budget, I strogly urge you to consider picking up an entrylevel dslr . You can get a d40 there for 19k and canon's 1000d for 22k. I suggest you look at the canon 1000d as it has wider range of lens options than d40 .
Don't look at too many models as it will confuse the hell out of you. :-)

Last edited by deetee : 9th January 2009 at 18:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks