Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2020, 00:01   #5491
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Sorry to post this in the digital camera thread but just wanted to share this camera that I dug out from my dad’s retro stuff collection!

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-4e61e2aa74b64102be76b22bf719217c.jpeg

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-4738c4dafd314c19b36e1ff4edc9e58b.jpeg

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-93a553842c25432b9d4c9ba2a2606a6e.jpeg

Disclaimer: These images are not shot using this camera
saket77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 16:01   #5492
BHPian

Hello, does anyone know a place where I can repair my broken Canon lenses. Also need to clean fungus from other lenses.
Old 19th June 2021, 21:11   #5493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Hello, does anyone know a place where I can repair my broken Canon lenses. Also need to clean fungus from other lenses.
Don't know about other cities, but in Delhi - Camera Market in Chandni Chowk, opposite Red Fort. Whole market with all reputed and expert repair shops. Small Photographers from nearby Towns frequent this market for repair jobs for themselves and their customers too.
Old 26th March 2022, 10:15   #5494
BHPian

I have a 12 year old nikon D90. Please suggest a mid-range telephoto lense for occassional wildlife photography. I don't want to buy those expensive big lenses used by professionals. I am looking for 70-300 or similar but not sure whether the lenses available online are compatible with my ancient D90. Please suggest if you know of any model.
Old 26th March 2022, 10:31   #5495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I have a 12 year old nikon D90. Please suggest a mid-range telephoto lense for occassional wildlife photography. I don't want to buy those expensive big lenses used by professionals. I am looking for 70-300 or similar but not sure whether the lenses available online are compatible with my ancient D90. Please suggest if you know of any model.
Nikon D90 is a DX Format camera (APS-C sensor) with F-mount design. Therefore, all modern DX format Nikon lenses (which still use F-mount) are compatible with this camera. In fact, even FX lenses are compatible too!

I would recommend "AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f / 4.5-6.3G ED VR" lens for your purpose. Here is the amazon.in link: https://www.amazon.in/Nikon-telephot...s%2C197&sr=8-1

This is an excellent lens, at an affordable price. With your crop sensor, the focal length of 300mm is equivalent to 450mm in full-frame format. That is more than enough for occasional wildlife photography.

I use this lens all the time on my Nikon D3500, and I am quite happy. I have got some decent wildlife photos with this lens.

This lens has good optical qualities, and is rated quite high in most reviews too. Where the cost savings comes from (and why it is so inexpensive) is the plastic body and basic, simple construction. But for optics, this is an excellent lens.
Dr.AD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 11:24   #5496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Nikon D90 is a DX Format camera (APS-C sensor) with F-mount design. Therefore, all modern DX format Nikon lenses (which still use F-mount) are compatible with this camera. In fact, even FX lenses are compatible too!

I would recommend "AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f / 4.5-6.3G ED VR" lens for your purpose. Here is the amazon.in link: https://www.amazon.in/Nikon-telephot...s%2C197&sr=8-1

This is an excellent lens, at an affordable price. With your crop sensor, the focal length of 300mm is equivalent to 450mm in full-frame format. That is more than enough for occasional wildlife photography.

I use this lens all the time on my Nikon D3500, and I am quite happy. I have got some decent wildlife photos with this lens.

This lens has good optical qualities, and is rated quite high in most reviews too. Where the cost savings comes from (and why it is so inexpensive) is the plastic body and basic, simple construction. But for optics, this is an excellent lens.
Thanks a lot, Doc. I am here with one more question, please help. I followed your suggestion and did a bit of google. There is one more lense with almost similar specs but price difference is huge. "Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR AF-S". Please help me understand the difference. I have next to nothing knowledge on camera format and mount design.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 11:45   #5497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot, Doc. I am here with one more question, please help. I followed your suggestion and did a bit of google. There is one more lense with almost similar specs but price difference is huge. "Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR AF-S". Please help me understand the difference.
Sure. There is one key difference (and a few smaller differences). The key difference is that this lens (with more than double the price) is for FX format (full-frame sensor) cameras. Whereas the other one I mentioned, with DX added in the description, is for DX format (APSC sensor) cameras. Notice the label DX mentioned in the cheaper lens name and absent from the name of the more expensive lens.

Now here is the nice thing: For a DX camera like yours, both DX lenses and FX (full-frame) lenses are supported (in fact, I recently bough one full-frame FX lens and I am happily using it on my DX camera). However, the converse is not true. For those with FX cameras, they need to buy only FX lenses and DX lenses are not supported (they are still supported without an adapter, but that is a different topic).

So in short, you could use either of these two lenses. But the cheaper one (DX format) is the ideal one for your camera.

Now coming to the minor differences, the cheaper DX lens is actually newer in design. It has the AF-P autofocus motor compared to AF-S motor in the older FX lens (notice these differences in the lens name). AF-P is the latest in Nikon autofocus motor and it the most silent focusing mechanism, surpassing the so-called silent focus in AF-S. The cheaper DX lens is also lighter and smaller (because it is specifically designed for crop sensors), and this is a big advantage. The FX lens will be big and heavy in comparison.

However, in pure optical qualities, the FX (full frame) lens will always be better than the DX lens. However, again, given that your camera sensor is anyway DX, it will most likely not be able to show any of those improved optical qualities in your final image. But in a few occasional scenarios, it is possible that you get better picture quality with the full frame FX lens compared to the DX lens. But for most common situations the DX lens specifically designed by Nikon for the DX format cameras is the most optimal lens for your choice.

In short, I would recommend the DX lens which is both cheaper and also specifically designed by Nikon for DX format sensors. You may want to consider buying FX lenses only if the corresponding DX lens is not available.
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 04:50   #5498

Quote:
"Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR AF-S". Please help me understand the difference. I have next to nothing knowledge on camera format and mount design.
The FX lens gives you 1 stop more light at 300mm as well. Even if you move to a full frame camera in the future you can still use this lens on it. Overall better quality. The higher price is because of the extra amount of glass in the lens. I once had a D90 as well, gives good results with this lens. If you think you would be moving to a full frame in a couple of years then the FX lens would be a better choice. You should be able to find a used good condition 70-300mm VR lens easily. Just check if the lens has any fungus or autofocus issues before buying.
Amil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 11:30   #5499
BHPian

Quote:

Really good info! I am also a newbie with respect to DSLR and lenses. I have a Nikon D 5200 with an 18-55 mm kit lens. Can I mount this 70-300 mm lens on top of the 18-55 lens? (asking because of the gap between 55 mm to 70mm)
Old 27th March 2022, 11:52   #5500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
Really good info! I am also a newbie with respect to DSLR and lenses. I have a Nikon D 5200 with an 18-55 mm kit lens. Can I mount this 70-300 mm lens on top of the 18-55 lens? (asking because of the gap between 55 mm to 70mm)
No, not on top of the 18-55mm lens if that is what you meant. This 70-300mm VR lens I mentioned is a great lens at a relatively low price tag, and it would work great with your Nikon D5200. But you have to remove your kit lens and use this lens instead. The lenses do not go on top of each other (sorry if I misunderstood your question).

Yes, there would be a gap from 55 to 70mm. But there is no rule that says you have to cover the entire focal lengths :-) You will basically have two separate lenses, one covering 18-55mm range and the other covering 70-300mm range. And if you wish, you could buy additional lenses for other focal lengths if you would like. Hope this answers your question.

I also have that same 18-55mm kit lens that you have, but I rarely use it now. I found many other lenses which are far better in the optical quality than the kit lens. This 70-300mm VR lens is one such lens. Further, I have 50mm/f1.8 and also a 35mm/f1.8 prime lenses. Both these lenses are much better than the kit lenses in this focal length. For any longer focal length, the 70-300mm lens works great!
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 12:04   #5501
BHPian

Quote:
No, not on top of the 18-55mm lens if that is what you meant. This 70-300mm VR lens I mentioned is a great lens at a relatively low price tag, and it would work great with your Nikon D5200. But you have to remove your kit lens and use this lens instead. The lenses do not go on top of each other (sorry if I misunderstood your question).
!
Yes Dr, that was my original query, whether this 70- 300 has to be mounted on top of existing 18-55mm. Forgive my ignorance. Your clarification helps!
Old 15th March 2023, 12:50   #5502
BHPian

Requesting suggestions on basic underwater camera. I do not want a flashy / costly ones - just a basic one will do. Thanks!
Old 30th April 2023, 23:09   #5503
BHPian

Konica Minolta Dimage X1: Help

I found a Konica Minolta Dimage X1 at home while rummaging through old stuff. Though the camera is in working condition, all the batteries are bloated and do not work.

I have not been able to find suitable batteries for it online. Please help me source the batteries for it so that I can bring it back to life again!

p.s. I have attached an image of the camera and the battery for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dimage-x1.jpeg  

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-battery.jpeg  

Old 18th September 2023, 12:28   #5504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Requesting suggestions on basic underwater camera. I do not want a flashy / costly ones - just a basic one will do. Thanks!
Let me bump this up. I have a Nikon 3100 with kit lens and an additional 55-200. I have been contemplating whether to upgrade this; maybe go for one of these pre-owned DSLRs of Nikon where I can retain the lenses. What models should I consider ?

Or else should I upgrade on to a starting point Mirrorless.

My usage is relatively sparse. Say 3-4 trips in a year, domestic or international, which is the only time I take my camera out. Recently, I have also been using more of my One Plus and my wife's I phone 13 for pics.

Should I upgrade or just keep the existing one, considering that I'm not looking to spend more than 50k on this.
Old 18th September 2023, 12:54   #5505
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Let me bump this up. I have a Nikon 3100 with kit lens and an additional 55-200. Or else should I upgrade on to a starting point Mirrorless. My usage is relatively sparse. Say 3-4 trips in a year, domestic or international, which is the only time I take my camera out.
Normally, I'd recommend moving to Mirrorless. But given your budget, it might not be worth it. The Canon R100 with a kit lens sells for about 50k. Most other brands (Nikon Z50, Sony 6100/6400, etc.) would exceed the 50k budget.

My recommendation is to continue using your Nikon 3100 as long as it works. Mirrorless cameras are lighter, can do video better, and have a few new features. Other than that, there is no real advantage. Resale on the 3100 won't be much anyway, so might as well use it, till you are forced to change.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks