Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2007, 21:24   #1126
Team-BHP Support

Guys.

Am interested in buying the Canon S3IS or S5IS. The prices here are around 20k for S3IS, and couldnt find S5IS in shops here.

So planning to come down to bangalore to buy next weekend. I have only been in Bangalore twice. So, dont know all the places. Can anybody help with which shop to head to? For a good price+ reliable stuff.
Old 15th October 2007, 21:27   #1127
Team-BHP Support

Check out Jayesh for better price and RK Photoguide for good stock. RK (naresh) will be expensive than Jayesh.

There are many members to help you out. If nobody's there that time..get in touch with me.
Old 15th October 2007, 23:20   #1128
BHPian

Would recommend Jayesh Mehta.

Foto Circle
No. 2, KV temple street
SSK Sangha Building, near Chickpet police station,
Near Balepet circle.
Ph: 22874356
Old 15th October 2007, 23:34   #1129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys.

Am interested in buying the Canon S3IS or S5IS. The prices here are around 20k for S3IS, and couldnt find S5IS in shops here.

So planning to come down to bangalore to buy next weekend. I have only been in Bangalore twice. So, dont know all the places. Can anybody help with which shop to head to? For a good price+ reliable stuff.
16k is todays price for the S5 IS in National Market Bangalore. Even if buy the cam with bill and warranty i recommend you to buy the memory and batteries from the grey
you can bargain for a Sandisk 2gb for around rs 1000-1150 with warranty in National market .

I bought the rechargeable batteries for cheap from SP road.
I got 4 AA Chamelion 2500 mah batteries with the slow/normal charger (the quick charger kills the battery life ) for rs750 from SP road.

let me know if you more help.
Old 15th October 2007, 23:50   #1130
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Over here 23K is the price for S5ISwith B/W at JUMBO electronics! this is along with 1GB card.
Old 15th October 2007, 23:58   #1131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Check out Jayesh for better price and RK Photoguide for good stock. RK (naresh) will be expensive than Jayesh.
There are many members to help you out. If nobody's there that time..get in touch with me.
Thank you! Will defenitly contact if i need help out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat View Post
Would recommend Jayesh Mehta.
Foto Circle
No. 2, KV temple street
SSK Sangha Building, near Chickpet police station,
Near Balepet circle.
Ph: 22874356
Thanks for the reply+ adress phone number. Very helpful
Any idea of the price to expect?
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
16k is todays price for the S5 IS in National Market Bangalore. Even if buy the cam with bill and warranty i recommend you to buy the memory and batteries from the grey
you can bargain for a Sandisk 2gb for around rs 1000-1150 with warranty in National market .

This 16k price is without B/W right? Did you buy any cam from there? Howz the quality? Is it reliable?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th October 2007 at 00:02.
Old 16th October 2007, 01:04   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea of the price to expect?
S3 IS = 13k grey
S5 IS = 17k grey

Both price quotes are from Jayesh. Once you get there, you never know the price might work out cheaper if you are buying it .
Old 16th October 2007, 01:34   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This 16k price is without B/W right? Did you buy any cam from there? Howz the quality? Is it reliable?

yes its without bill warranty. I got the S5 IS from there about 2 weeks back . The quality is the same which you will get the with the B/W..it would the usual package with the manual ,software and the other goodies. The one i got was for the Japan market ( the box says not to be sold out side Japan ). About the reliablity its like taking a chance like all electronic items as obviously you do not get a bill and warranty.
Old 16th October 2007, 07:21   #1134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
S3 IS = 13k grey
S5 IS = 17k grey
Both price quotes are from Jayesh. Once you get there, you never know the price might work out cheaper if you are buying it .
If i remember correctly, you recently got the S5IS right? I guess the quality of the camera must be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
yes its without bill warranty. I got the S5 IS from there about 2 weeks back . The quality is the same which you will get the with the B/W..it would the usual package with the manual ,software and the other goodies. The one i got was for the Japan market ( the box says not to be sold out side Japan ). About the reliablity its like taking a chance like all electronic items as obviously you do not get a bill and warranty.
Congrats on the S5IS. What do i need to look out for, to see if its a good piece they are giving. (Would be my first cam, so bit confused about the whole thing).

ALSO, as i mentioned. This would be my first cam. But being very much interested in photography, and after seeing the works of all the guys in the 'Non- auto image thread'- decided on S3IS/S5IS.

However, for an amatuer, is it worth getting the S5IS at 4k more than the S3IS? S3IS at 13k sounds a sweet deal (Specially cause my parents will be paying for me now Dont want to burn their pockets too much). Also could not find S3IS prices at jjmehta. Has it been discontinued?

Also, can anyone tell me where this 'National Market' is... Like hellcat gave in detail about Jayesh.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th October 2007 at 07:24.
Old 16th October 2007, 10:21   #1135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Ok, in that case go for 70-300. What price are you getting in India? I may be worth a check.

What is CA? Did you mean Chromatic Aberration?
Yes CA is Chromatic Aberration. The 70-300/4.5-5.6 IS is 32k in India. I await better prices and will check out Malaysia when I go in Divali.

Do ou recommend I buy in Malaysia instead of India?
Old 16th October 2007, 10:35   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Its a dilemma, when I was comparing the two I could notice the following differences:

- 6 Vs 8 megapixels with increased resolutions.
- face recognition in S5IS.
- 16 Vs 32 Mb card

and then I stumbled upon an article by an experienced award winning photographer, howard creech and his suggestions as below for the megapixels.

The complete buyers guide is here

Quote:
However, for an amatuer, is it worth getting the S5IS at 4k more than the S3IS? S3IS at 13k sounds a sweet deal (Specially cause my parents will be paying for me now Dont want to burn their pockets too much).
Old 16th October 2007, 10:43   #1137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Yes CA is Chromatic Aberration. The 70-300/4.5-5.6 IS is 32k in India. I await better prices and will check out Malaysia when I go in Divali.

Do ou recommend I buy in Malaysia instead of India?
Canon lens warranty is worldwide irrespective of the country. So buy where you get cheapest, but buy with bill and warranty.
Old 16th October 2007, 11:24   #1138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
and then I stumbled upon an article by an experienced award winning photographer, howard creech and his suggestions as below for the megapixels.

The complete buyers guide is here
Huh! That must be the equivalent of the Dummy's Series books for the cam buyers. Things are nowhere near as straight and simple as the author seems to make out.

It is not nearly necessary that 8mp resolution will always get you a better picture than a 6mp. Many a times the manufacturer takes the same sensor which was sporting the 6mp resolution in the last year's model and come out with an "upgrade" that gets you 8mp. However as the pixel count goes up on the same sized sensor it crams up the chip so badly that you may start seeing some color bleeding, noise problems etc.

In general suffice it to say that the theory in that article may hold true for those $50 cams that the author is talking about (in 1mp, 2mp resolution as he says) but may not hold completely true for today's cameras. So you need to see a lot lot more than just reading that article.
Old 16th October 2007, 11:44   #1139
BHPian

Common guys, help me out!!!! Guess my post got skipped. Here it is again.

Well, I am planning to gift my Dad a camera. His wish was to have a SLR. He has just got discharged from the hospital, so thought the gift will pep him up a bit. Anyways, down to the point. My budget is around 20-25k. Want a Digital SLR. Either looking for a Canon or Nikon. Can anyone of you suggest a camera in this range and also anyone from Mumbai can suggest which shop to head to ? It will really be a big help for me. Cheers!
Old 16th October 2007, 11:49   #1140
BHPian

I am not able to understand this infatuation for the S5 and S3. Frankly speaking I haven's used any of them but going by the reviews on all most all the sites, Lumix FZ8 is rated better than S3 and at par with S5 and its still around 100 USD cheaper than S3 ( Prices are for US )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks