Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2010, 12:26   #4036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Does any one have the Olympus SP-600UZ camera ? It is available for ridiculously low price. The camera has 15x wide-angle zoom and it is of 12 Megapixel. Please advice.
Its a good camera once you get hold off it. First pictures are always shaky though it has OIS. You need little time to get familiar with the camera.
Old 11th August 2010, 12:41   #4037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Time for a new camera purchase to replace my aging Canon powershot. The EOS 350D with 70-300IS USM was given away, so need a new fast superzoom which can shoot great videos too.

Being a Canon loyal, my first preference is the SX20 IS. However I also like to consider the Fuji HS10 for its 30x zoom, Any direct reviews comparing the models? I am also unsure of the Fuji support in India. Any pointers?
Hey,

I own Fuji HS10 and my cousin owns the SX20IS. we generally travel a lot togather and have been comparing the pic quality and all on both camera models. Some how we both came to a conclusion that if you are a P&S type person, Canon is the one for you. But if you want to play around P,S,A,M modes and other features Fuji is the one that is a clear winner.

HS10 has various features such as panaromic, moving object removal and the 30X zoom.

After using both cameras back to back on several occasions i would recon the Fuji HS10.

Hope that helpls. If you have further doubts or queries on the HS10 model, you may PM our member vivekiny2k. He too owns a HS10 and I often taken advise from him.

Do update on your final outcome.

Cheers!
Old 15th August 2010, 19:45   #4038
BHPian

Nikon l110 or sony h55

Am planning on a superzoom within a budget of 15k. I have shortlisted nikon l110 and sony h55 and i am unable to decide between the two. Has anyone used one of these cameras? Also has anyody shopped from SmartShoppers: Online Shopping India | Cameras, Digital Camera, SLR Camera, Camera Lenses, Mobiles, Laptops & Accessories ? they seem to have 25%-50% on many cameras.
Old 15th August 2010, 19:57   #4039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anusha_snh View Post
Am planning on a superzoom within a budget of 15k. I have shortlisted nikon l110 and sony h55 .
If you want to play around with custom settings then h55 is the camera for you. L110 doesn't have much manual control. H55 is a compact camera. Its easy to carry around that.
Old 15th August 2010, 22:20   #4040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am planning on a superzoom within a budget of 15k. I have shortlisted nikon l110 and sony h55 and i am unable to decide between the two. Has anyone used one of these cameras? Also has anyody shopped from SmartShoppers: Online Shopping India | Cameras, Digital Camera, SLR Camera, Camera Lenses, Mobiles, Laptops & Accessories ? they seem to have 25%-50% on many cameras.
Add Samsung WB600 also to your list as it's only 14k. I've posted about this camera on this post . Did some research on the net before buying and found this to be best for the bucks. Also have seen a group test where it is touted to be best bet, probably that was on dpreview. Anyway, used the camera for 2 days and found it very handy. Sony H55 also is a good camera and I somehow haven't found nikon doing justice to their compacts. Not sure if things have now changed.
Old 15th August 2010, 23:59   #4041
BHPian

Thanks vaisakhr and kaushik.

I checked the reviews on dpreview and photography blog, and it confused me all the more!
Old 16th August 2010, 01:49   #4042
BHPian

Also, I can get a panasonic fz38 from smatshoppers or in the grey market for 16k. But it only comes with a 3 or 6 months vendor warranty. How safe would it be to buy the cam from the grey market? Will it be reliable? Will there be any problems for servicing? I have never bought any electronic goods from the grey market, but this time , I am tempted to.

Last edited by anusha_snh : 16th August 2010 at 01:51.
Old 16th August 2010, 10:55   #4043
BHPian

Quote:
Also, I can get a panasonic fz38 from smatshoppers or in the grey market for 16k. But it only comes with a 3 or 6 months vendor warranty. How safe would it be to buy the cam from the grey market? Will it be reliable? Will there be any problems for servicing? I have never bought any electronic goods from the grey market, but this time , I am tempted to.
I would suggest you pick up a grey market peice not online but from a proper shop. So in case, you have issues (very rare) you can deal with the seller directly. I picked up a FZ35 in Jan this year for 18k in Burma Bazaar from a reliable shop. No issues at all. It was a made in Japan piece.
Old 16th August 2010, 14:10   #4044
BHPian

Thanks dreamdiesel. I will go to fotocircle and see what they offer. Could you plz share the contact of this shop in burma bazaar where you got your cam?
Old 16th August 2010, 14:20   #4045
BHPian

Vinod Camera and Flashes, Burma Bazaar. Its the one opposite to Tribhuvan theatre. Its the 8 or 9th shop on the right when you enter Burma Bazaar. Contact Vinod.
Old 16th August 2010, 14:52   #4046
BHPian

Is there a camera in the market at present with high zoom 25x as well as GPS and photo tagging functions within Rs 25,000.
Old 16th August 2010, 14:56   #4047
BHPian

Say No to Sony

Quote:
I have used Kodak, Canon and presently a Sony cybershot.

And given the results i would discourage you from buying a Sony unless you only want to shoot close range daylight pictures.

Old 16th August 2010, 14:58   #4048
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Is there a camera in the market at present with high zoom 25x as well as GPS and photo tagging functions within Rs 25,000.
I would suggest getting a camera which suits your needs photographically.
After that you can buy a 100,000 point logger for aorund 40$ or so from ebay etc., These are rechargeable, and last around 15-16 hours on a single charge.
After you return from your trip, you geotag your pics using gpicsync or related software.
I use the same methodology.
Old 16th August 2010, 15:25   #4049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I would suggest getting a camera which suits your needs photographically.
After that you can buy a 100,000 point logger for aorund 40$ or so from ebay etc., These are rechargeable, and last around 15-16 hours on a single charge.
After you return from your trip, you geotag your pics using gpicsync or related software.
I use the same methodology.
Sorry @tsk forgive me for my ignorence, hav't seen a logger yet how does it work. Don't i have to attach it to the camera or it works independently. Could you suggest a few brands.
Old 16th August 2010, 15:34   #4050
Team-BHP Support

A logger will work independently.
This is how you would work.
On your trip you would switch on the logger, and it would start logging your position in gpx format.
This trail is with timestamps in GMT format. Carry the logger in your pocket(basically near the camera)
your camera would be set to IST, or Indian standard time.
When you come back from your trip, you need to give the following inputs to gpicsync software(its free software)
1. GPX file recorded by the logger
2. Path to image folder(where you have downloaded the images from your camera)
3. GMT offset which is 5.5 hours in our case

The software would read the gpx file, and determine from image timestamps and gpx point timestamps about where the image was taken, and add the data to the EXIF or IPTC header as chosed by you.

All the pics I take on my trips are geotagged this way.

As for the loggers, you can buy holux, its a good brand
DealExtreme: $52.36 Holux M-1200E Bluetooth GPS Data Logger
another one
DealExtreme: $41.90 65-Channel Car Navigation and Tracking Bluetooth GPS Receiver + Data Logger

Basically buy one of these along with your camera.
You can charge it in the car.

There are many other variants also available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks