Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 11:38   #5116
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Just read about the Olympus XZ-10
1. Small sensor (1/2.3") compared to the so called larger sensor (1/1.7") - at least on DPreview's and Image resource comparison tools I have never seen any difference in picture due to this small increase in sensor size

2. Very usable Bright f/1.8-f/2.7 lens. 26mm - 130mm. 5x

3. All features present on XZ-2 is available on this smaller sibling. Also the ring around the lens.

4. No separate lens cover!

5. No accessory port. :( but shouldn't matter to those looking for pocket-ability

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/234...s-stylus-xz-10
http://www.photographyblog.com/news/...nds-on_photos/

I really want to see how this performs against the 1/1.7" cameras. Because till now the slightly larger sensor cams had an advantage of bright and sharp lens, and the users felt the better pic is due to the sensor - compared to other P&S, totally ignoring the effect of lens.

Last edited by alpha1 : 13th February 2013 at 11:40.
Old 14th February 2013, 18:54   #5117
BHPian

sharing with you all:
few days back I had to urgently buy a small camera for wife. I had quickly shortlisted few and went to nearby Croma. purchased: Nikon Coolpix S3300 Purple color with 2yr bundled warranty + pouch + 4GB card (in box). This was for Rs.6742. Also, I paid Rs.399 for Croma Extended Warranty (3+4 yr).

OT: for the records, this was my fastest technology investment; purchased within two days of online & shop study.

Though we havnt fully tested the camera, we did click many snaps in general and during a b'day party. Its in Auto mode. Many of the pics are blurred, maybe not good 'focus' or "stabilization" didnt work that good. Will test more and update.

Any handy tips from owner of S3300 ?
Old 15th February 2013, 14:34   #5118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
sharing with you all:
few days back I had to urgently buy a small camera for wife. I had quickly shortlisted few and went to nearby Croma. purchased: Nikon Coolpix S3300 Purple color with 2yr bundled warranty + pouch + 4GB card (in box). This was for Rs.6742. Also, I paid Rs.399 for Croma Extended Warranty (3+4 yr).

OT: for the records, this was my fastest technology investment; purchased within two days of online & shop study.

Though we havnt fully tested the camera, we did click many snaps in general and during a b'day party. Its in Auto mode. Many of the pics are blurred, maybe not good 'focus' or "stabilization" didnt work that good. Will test more and update.

Any handy tips from owner of S3300 ?
How about some:
- Steady hands while shooting
- well lit ambiance, or at least the subject
- stationary (or at least as close to) subject

As a test, take a bright sunny day, place your cam on well rested place like a table/wall and click picture of a stationary high contrast subject. This will tell if the problem is with the camera ...
Old 17th February 2013, 11:35   #5119
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
The megapixel count and zoom range of any of these below cameras is more than enough for our indoor/daily usage. Any more functionality is overkill for a budget camera. Latest pricing details can be seen on Nikon/Canon India websites, but actual street price will be little lesser.

For your requirement/usage, get one of these -
Canon powershot A810
Canon powershot A1200

If you want a Nikon get one of these -
Nikon coolpix L23
Nikon coolpix L24

Rock bottom budget -
Canon powershot A800 - This camera is a steal @ ~3500/- but it's discontinued elsewhere in the world. Still sold in India though.

P.S: You can always stretch your budget and go in for a camera with HD video recording etc. etc. But if that feature is not going to be used 90% of the time then there's no point in paying for the features. <My opinion>
Time has come to buy the camera. From the above, I actually liked the Canon Power Shot A810. On Flipkart, the price offered is Rs. 4845/- (All Inclusive) with a 4 GB Card.

A1200 is out of stock on flipkart and the offer price is Rs. 3995/-.

In the meanwhile, one of our reputed office vendor who deals in electronics is offering Nikon Cool Pix L120 @ Rs. 10,000/- + VAT with a 4 GB Card. Flipkart price is Rs. 13,532/-. Nikon India website has a price of Rs. 13,950/-. The vendor is a authorized dealer for various leading brands in electronics. Is this a good camera to buy & is this a good deal.

Please Advise.
Old 18th February 2013, 10:27   #5120
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to buy a high zoom digital camera. Budget 10-12k approx.

I'm not really a hobbyist, just need a simple-to-use camera with better zoom than ordinary P&S cameras. I already have a Canon Powershot compact P&S camera.

I have shortlisted:
- Panasonic Lumix DMC LZ-20
- Nikon Coolpix L310
- Sony DSC-H100
- Fujifilm S4500

Please suggest a good camera for my requirements.

Rohan
Old 18th February 2013, 11:53   #5121
Senior - BHPian

Rohan,

I would suggest Nikon S9100 presently being sold in Flipkart on a huge discount. I recently bought one for Rs 9.5K. The camera has got huge zoom 18X optical for a 12 MP. The pics are super clear and the camera is easy to use. The camera came with a 4GB card, pouch and HDMI cable.
Old 18th February 2013, 13:43   #5122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Rohan,

I would suggest Nikon S9100 presently being sold in Flipkart on a huge discount. I recently bought one for Rs 9.5K. The camera has got huge zoom 18X optical for a 12 MP. The pics are super clear and the camera is easy to use. The camera came with a 4GB card, pouch and HDMI cable.
Thanks for the suggestion, will definitely consider it. Is it also available at offline stores with the same discount ? I need it before this weekend and flipkart says 7-8 days for delivery.

Any idea about Olympus SP 610UZ ? It is available for 8k only.

Rohan
Old 18th February 2013, 13:45   #5123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, will definitely consider it. Is it also available at offline stores with the same discount ? I need it before this weekend and flipkart says 7-8 days for delivery.
If you choose the Gold colour one, then you will get it in a couple of days. I got the camera delivered within 2 days of ordering.

The olympus camera which you mentioned has CCD sensor whereas Nikon has CMOS sensor which is better. Another drawback of Olympus is the Alkaline battery whereas Nikon has Li-ion battery which is long lasting than alkaline one.

Suggest to stick to Nikon.

Last edited by ghodlur : 18th February 2013 at 13:49.
Old 18th February 2013, 14:33   #5124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
If you choose the Gold colour one, then you will get it in a couple of days. I got the camera delivered within 2 days of ordering.

The olympus camera which you mentioned has CCD sensor whereas Nikon has CMOS sensor which is better. Another drawback of Olympus is the Alkaline battery whereas Nikon has Li-ion battery which is long lasting than alkaline one.

Suggest to stick to Nikon.
Yes, even I feel that Li battery and CMOS sensor would be nice to have.

I would prefer the silver colour. On flipkart both colours show delivery date 7-8 days.

Will call up flipkart after placing the order and change the colour, if it helps in faster delivery.

Rohan
Old 19th February 2013, 09:59   #5125
Senior - BHPian

Nikon S9100 went out of stock on flipkart.

Will try again later.

Rohan
Old 19th February 2013, 11:49   #5126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm planning to buy a high zoom digital camera. Budget 10-12k approx.

I'm not really a hobbyist, just need a simple-to-use camera with better zoom than ordinary P&S cameras. I already have a Canon Powershot compact P&S camera.

I have shortlisted:
- Panasonic Lumix DMC LZ-20
- Nikon Coolpix L310
- Sony DSC-H100
- Fujifilm S4500

Please suggest a good camera for my requirements.

Rohan
If you already have a powershot, why do you wish to spend again on a similar camera?
To get slightly more zoom?
Don't get lured by the X factor.

20x is only 2x more than 10x

Last edited by alpha1 : 19th February 2013 at 11:53.
Old 19th February 2013, 12:26   #5127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
If you already have a powershot, why do you wish to spend again on a similar camera?
To get slightly more zoom?
Don't get lured by the X factor.

20x is only 2x more than 10x
My existing Canon Powershot has only 4x zoom. This was purchased 2 years back, when high zoom cameras were very expensive. The camera produces good results for casual photography, but leaves a lot to be desired in the zoom department.

I just purchased a Fujifilm S2890 on flipkart. Awaiting delivery.

Planning a trip to Ranganathittu bird sanctuary this weekend. Will update the results.

Rohan
Old 19th February 2013, 21:45   #5128
SBR
BHPian

Here is the final deal I am getting from a office vendor;

Nikon Cool Pix L120.
  • 14.1 Megapixel
  • 3 inch TFT LCD Screen with Anti-reflection Coating
  • CCD Image Sensor
  • 21x Optical Zoom and 4x Digital Zoom
  • HD Recording
  • 12 Months Warranty
  • Alkaline Batteries
  • 4GB SD Card & Pouch
  • Final Price - Rs. 9,000/- (Nett).
Flipkart price is Rs. 13,500/- (Approx). The vendor says that they are able to offer it at a discounted rate as the stock they are selling comes with only 12 months Nikon warranty whereas the standard Nikon warranty is 24 months & hence the price difference.

I had a very basic Kodak 8 MP camera which I bought in 2006 & it is no longer in working condition. For beginner like me, this looks like a good deal. I have almost finalized the deal.
Old 20th February 2013, 09:28   #5129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Here is the final deal I am getting from a office vendor;

Nikon Cool Pix L120.

Flipkart price is Rs. 13,500/- (Approx). The vendor says that they are able to offer it at a discounted rate as the stock they are selling comes with only 12 months Nikon warranty whereas the standard Nikon warranty is 24 months & hence the price difference.

I had a very basic Kodak 8 MP camera which I bought in 2006 & it is no longer in working condition. For beginner like me, this looks like a good deal. I have almost finalized the deal.
Nikon L120 is a discontinued model. Go for L130 instead.

If you are open to other brands, do check out similar models in Sony, Panasonic and Fujifilm too.

I personally was not satisfied with the build quality of Nikon L130. It feels too plasticky.

Rohan
Old 20th February 2013, 11:11   #5130
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Nikon L120 is a discontinued model. Go for L130 instead.

If you are open to other brands, do check out similar models in Sony, Panasonic and Fujifilm too.

I personally was not satisfied with the build quality of Nikon L130. It feels too plasticky.

Rohan
Thanks Rohan. Initially, I was on a tight budget of around INR 5 K and I had finalized on Canon A 810 for Rs. 4845/- from Flipkart.

For an additional 4K, I am getting a much advanced camera in Nikon L120 and when it comes to this model been dis-continued, any digital camera for that matter has a very short life in the market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks