Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 11:28   #5131
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Here is the final deal I am getting from a office vendor;

Nikon Cool Pix L120.
  • 14.1 Megapixel
  • 3 inch TFT LCD Screen with Anti-reflection Coating
  • CCD Image Sensor
  • 21x Optical Zoom and 4x Digital Zoom
  • HD Recording
  • 12 Months Warranty
  • Alkaline Batteries
  • 4GB SD Card & Pouch
  • Final Price - Rs. 9,000/- (Nett).
Flipkart price is Rs. 13,500/- (Approx). The vendor says that they are able to offer it at a discounted rate as the stock they are selling comes with only 12 months Nikon warranty whereas the standard Nikon warranty is 24 months & hence the price difference.

I had a very basic Kodak 8 MP camera which I bought in 2006 & it is no longer in working condition. For beginner like me, this looks like a good deal. I have almost finalized the deal.
The form factor is "bridge type" which means it is much MUCH larger than a normal sized compact.

Keep that in mind while going for it. I have a few friends who bought large looking cameras for the "looks factor" and now the cameras gather dust, because they have no intent to carry the cam with its huge box.

Other than that I believe you are getting a GREAT deal. In the camera world the manufacturers introduce new models every 6-12 months just so that they can demand higher price (without actually introducing anything great with respect to technology or image quality). Whether it is discontinued or not shouldn't matter to you, practically speaking, as long as warranty is applicable and honored.

Iff you do have double mind about the large form factor, you may consider the traveler zoom category - which offers familiar compact size but zoom ranging from 10-20x
Old 20th February 2013, 12:06   #5132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rohan. Initially, I was on a tight budget of around INR 5 K and I had finalized on Canon A 810 for Rs. 4845/- from Flipkart.

For an additional 4K, I am getting a much advanced camera in Nikon L120 and when it comes to this model been dis-continued, any digital camera for that matter has a very short life in the market.
Yes I do agree that digital cameras get discontinued very soon.

If you are on a tight budget and want a high zoom camera, you could consider this (If you don't mind purchasing online).

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Fujifilm-Fine...item257acc153c

Specs are similar to Nikon L120/L130. Additionally, this model comes with HDMI output and Electronic viewfinder. Such features are generally not present in other budget models.

I have purchased the same from flipkart at a slightly higher price. On ebay, it is available for < 8K.

A very valid point mentioned by alpha1 in the previous post - do consider the size of the camera, it is huge compared to a compact point & shoot camera.

I already have a compact P&S and have purchased this bridge camera only for picnics/outings where one needs better zoom. I may not use it more than few times in an year (unless this bridge camera manages to get me addicted to photography as a hobby).

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 20th February 2013 at 12:11.
Old 20th February 2013, 15:39   #5133
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Yes I do agree that digital cameras get discontinued very soon.

If you are on a tight budget and want a high zoom camera, you could consider this (If you don't mind purchasing online).

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Fujifilm-Fine...item257acc153c

Specs are similar to Nikon L120/L130. Additionally, this model comes with HDMI output and Electronic viewfinder. Such features are generally not present in other budget models.

I have purchased the same from flipkart at a slightly higher price. On ebay, it is available for < 8K.

A very valid point mentioned by alpha1 in the previous post - do consider the size of the camera, it is huge compared to a compact point & shoot camera.

I already have a compact P&S and have purchased this bridge camera only for picnics/outings where one needs better zoom. I may not use it more than few times in an year (unless this bridge camera manages to get me addicted to photography as a hobby).

Rohan
On the size of camera, I was always fascinated by large & bigger looking cameras. It was my dream to own a large size looking camera. I agree that I may not use it on a daily basis but it will be put to use whenever I travel or on family occasions or get together's.

I am almost kind of sold on Nikon L 120 camera. It is more of a heart decision than a practical mind decision. If I listen to my mind, it says to drop the idea of L120 but heart says go for it as I am getting a good deal & standard Nikon warranty is applicable.
Old 20th February 2013, 16:55   #5134
Senior - BHPian

I have decided to buy the Sony HX20V. Its 18MP with 20x Optical Zoom and a lot of other nice features. Anyone who has used this and can provide a review. Its costing 19.5k with 4GB Card, Pouch, HDMI and Data Cable.
Old 23rd February 2013, 14:52   #5135
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
On the size of camera, I was always fascinated by large & bigger looking cameras. It was my dream to own a large size looking camera. I agree that I may not use it on a daily basis but it will be put to use whenever I travel or on family occasions or get together's.

I am almost kind of sold on Nikon L 120 camera. It is more of a heart decision than a practical mind decision. If I listen to my mind, it says to drop the idea of L120 but heart says go for it as I am getting a good deal & standard Nikon warranty is applicable.
Camera came home this morning. Paid INR 9,000/- for it. Absolutely delighted with it enjoying every moment. A long time wish has come true
Old 24th February 2013, 13:27   #5136
Senior - BHPian

I am looking at the very bare basic PS camera. It need not have any extra features, but it should be small enough to carry with me everywhere and anywhere. Budget = bare minimum, below 5000/- if possible below 4000/-

Has anyone used or read reviews of the Fujifilm finepix AX500? I think it's a good deal at 3899 from flipkart. http://www.flipkart.com/fujifilm-fin...f-13bef9c40307
Old 26th February 2013, 09:13   #5137
Senior - BHPian

Purchased a Fujifilm S2980 bridge camera last week. Amazing value for money.

Sample shots uploaded in the official non auto image thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3050494

Rohan
Old 27th February 2013, 14:25   #5138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Purchased a Fujifilm S2980 bridge camera last week. Amazing value for money.
Rohan
Wow. Good shots. I want to purchase the camera, so that I can carry it out with me everywhere daily. And again I have a Nikon DSLR + Canon bridge camera, so I want to try some different brand, apart from the regular Nikon/Canon fare.
Old 27th February 2013, 15:51   #5139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Wow. Good shots. I want to purchase the camera, so that I can carry it out with me everywhere daily. And again I have a Nikon DSLR + Canon bridge camera, so I want to try some different brand, apart from the regular Nikon/Canon fare.
Thanks. Even I wanted to try a different brand, hence went with Fujifilm instead of the more popular Nikon models.

I found the Fujifilm S2980 to be amazing value for money. It comes with extra features like manual settings, EVF, HDMI output etc which are not present in the bridge cameras from other popular brands.

For brands like Nikon and Canon, you pay extra just for the stupid celebrity endorsements.

I don't have personal experience with Fujifilm compact cameras, but will definitely vouch for their bridge cameras.

If you want a compact and pocketable camera, I'd suggest that you go for one with a Lithium battery, not AA batteries. Lithium battery is most suited for compact cameras as it is lighter, thinner and give better backup compared to AA batteries.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 27th February 2013 at 16:00.
Old 27th February 2013, 17:04   #5140
BHPian

Advice on Nikon P510 : I am planning to this Nikon prosumer camera which has 42 X optical zoom, GPS linkage, 4 GB memory card free, HDMI cable, CD for installation and Lithium battery. Do you all think whether this camera is worth 20 K, with 2 years warranty. 16 mega pixel and service centre is not available at my town in Mangalore currently.

Last edited by ukderebail : 27th February 2013 at 17:06. Reason: Add info
Old 27th February 2013, 17:40   #5141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
Advice on Nikon P510 : I am planning to this Nikon prosumer camera which has 42 X optical zoom, GPS linkage, 4 GB

Nikon is a good brand and has VFM , but if you are planning to use the "42X" zoom you need to use a tripod or you need to have really steady hands. Any small shake will result in blurry images (provided you have high shutter speed)

Plus if you use full telephoto (ie lens at 42x zoom ) images may not be all that sharp . Check out that review below.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-coolpix-p510
Old 28th February 2013, 16:59   #5142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
Advice on Nikon P510 : I am planning to this Nikon prosumer camera which has 42 X optical zoom, GPS linkage, 4 GB memory card free, HDMI cable, CD for installation and Lithium battery. Do you all think whether this camera is worth 20 K, with 2 years warranty. 16 mega pixel and service centre is not available at my town in Mangalore currently.
Good features, but still not worth 20k, in my humble opinion. Whats the point in buying a bridge camera at 20k when one can get a DSLR at 24-25k ?

What would be your typical usage ? Do you really need a 42x zoom and GPS feature ?

Please have a look at Fujifilm S4500 - it has similar features at a fraction of the cost.

Rohan
Old 28th February 2013, 18:53   #5143
Senior - BHPian

Hi Amit,

I have been clicking around with the HX-100 V since last February and its one heck of a camera, IMO. I have clicked close to 6k pics and i am thoroughly satisfied with the performance. The 30x Optical zoom is excellent. However, as it is with most high zoom cameras, the low light performance at the highest telephoto point is not so good. Also, if you add a tripod, then things will get much better.

Ofcourse, you should target to buy HX-200 V, which is a revamped HX-100V with the same optical zoom.

And, finally SONY has announced 3 new cameras.

"The company is bringing a trio of Cyber-shot digital cameras to market this Spring.
WX300, a slim shooter with a 20x zoom lens, a 16-megapixel CMOS sensor, and Wi-Fi, will ship in April for $330.
HX300, a 50x superzoom in a bridge-style body, sports a 20-megapixel CMOS image sensor and a Zeiss branded lens. It is priced at $500 and will go on sale in March.
TX30 is a rugged, waterproof camera that can take some abuse. It is priced at $350 and will also go on sale in March."

Source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415761,00.asp
Old 28th February 2013, 20:28   #5144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hats the point in buying a bridge camera at 20k when one can get a DSLR at 24-25k ?
The point is that the 20K is all you spend, whereas the DSLR is just the first item on a long and expensive shopping list
Old 1st March 2013, 13:29   #5145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The point is that the 20K is all you spend, whereas the DSLR is just the first item on a long and expensive shopping list
You may also add that the point is that very few like to actually haul a cubic foot bag with heavy equipment and look like a wedding photographer all the time.

Entry level DSLR with kit lens offers the same stops of image quality advantage as does a compact with a 2 stop bright lens.
Most people don't get this part at all.

Most compacts have either 24 mm to 100 mm coverage or 28 mm to 110 mm. Compare this to your stock lens which gives 28 mm to 85 mm. Also the lens clarity - stock lens are usually made for aspiring customers, whereas expensive compact lens are made for demanding customers - this shows in the lens clarity department.

Last edited by alpha1 : 1st March 2013 at 13:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks