Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2012, 09:27   #4981
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
The HX10 is a size larger and clearly a segment higher than I would have liked my camera to be, but I'm trying to convince myself that I would be able to put it to some good use over the years.
Manson I am sure you will. The one thing I wish I had carried on my honeymoon was a better camera. Ofcourse in those days there was no digital stuff so all we had was a Olympus P&S. From Bali to Alaska that P&S was the only camera we had.
Old 20th August 2012, 15:47   #4982
BHPian

Guys, what are your recommendations for a tough P&S.

I know the Panny FT4 should currently rule the roost as did the FT3 but would like any views if anyone is using any of the tough cameras. I don't mind getting the FT3 also especially if it can be had a lower price point now that the FT4 is out. Minor problem that I cant really find it in India but I'm sure I can get it from somewhere. Also, hows the Oly tough series?

I intend on spending a couple of weeks in the Andamans towards the end of the year and was looking at getting a tough camera, instead of a professional underwater housing for my dslr which runs at double the cost or more. I've seen the ones from Dicapac but I'm not sure if there are really going to hold up if I'm going scuba diving.

Any reviews would be appreciated.

Last edited by thewhiteknight : 20th August 2012 at 15:49. Reason: Added some info.
Old 20th August 2012, 18:32   #4983
PPS
Senior - BHPian

After going thru various reviews, I have shortlisted the Lumix DMC TZ25 as the best camera which suits my needs. It retails for around 14k at Croma. I earlier had the Lumix FH2 which unfortunately got stolen. I was surprised by its picture quality as it turned out much better than i thought! So i would like to go for a Lumix again.

Also checked the Powershot 260 HS & Sony HX20V both retailing for around 22k. As per the reviews on dpreview both have a good rating but when it comes to picture quality they aren't phenomenal. So as per me it doesn't make sense spending extra just for the extra zoom & some other features.

Other camera's which i considered after reading various reviews:
IXUS 510HS, IXUS 125HS,Lumix FS35, Fuji finepix X10, IXUS 230HS,Coolpix S8200, Olympus XZ1.

I'm only looking at a point & shoot camera with good features,good picture quality,good zoom & ease to use.

So would like to ask, is the TZ 25 a good choice?
Old 20th August 2012, 18:53   #4984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
Guys, what are your recommendations for a tough P&S.

Any reviews would be appreciated.
I have samsung AQ100 which has worked well so far in shallow waters (pool etc). My reason for getting it was optical zoom and flash. If you are willing to forgo that, I would suggest headband mounted cameras like contour HD. that leaves your hands free and you can shoot as much as you want by just pointing your head towards the subject.
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:39   #4985
Senior - BHPian

I am in the market for a good Digicam & the budget is around 11-12k max. Would like to know what are the options in this price range.
The requirement is usual 16MP Cam, 10x or above optical zoom, a decent option of iso selection & all.
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:59   #4986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
I am in the market for a good Digicam & the budget is around 11-12k max. Would like to know what are the options in this price range.
The requirement is usual 16MP Cam, 10x or above optical zoom, a decent option of iso selection & all.
Sony HX-7V: DSC-HX7V : H Series : Digital Still Camera : Sony India

Nikon Coolpix P310: Nikon Imaging Asia Pacific

Canon Powershot A4000 IS: PowerShot A4000 IS - Canon India - Personal
Old 23rd August 2012, 16:01   #4987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Thanks for the links, will check them out ASAP. BTW apart from Canon the other alternatives seem out of budget.

Anyways how good are these Cams

http://www.sony.co.in/product/dsc-w690

http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/product...oryID=gp11zkz1

Last edited by samsag12 : 23rd August 2012 at 16:04.
Old 24th August 2012, 13:09   #4988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I have samsung AQ100 which has worked well so far in shallow waters (pool etc). My reason for getting it was optical zoom and flash. If you are willing to forgo that, I would suggest headband mounted cameras like contour HD. that leaves your hands free and you can shoot as much as you want by just pointing your head towards the subject.
Thank you so much for the suggestion. I hadn't explored the Contour and GoPro cameras. Turns out, they are perfect for Scuba diving, Snorkeling, rafting, and general stuff like that. No issues with 'toughness' and the strap on nature makes things very convenient.

And pricing wise, the GoPro is 20K including accessories apart from what come with the camera and the Contour+ is a bit more pricey at close to 30K with some accessories. The tough cameras like the Oly and the Panny are also within that price range but do not offer the confidence these do, given they are made for 'extreme' situations.

Thank you buddy!
Old 25th August 2012, 12:10   #4989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Thanks. I have a budget of around $400.

Thanks. But with attachable lens, does NEX series qualify as P&S camera? Sony NEX5 retails for around $600 and RX100 is also around that price. I saw a silver canon S100 for around $300 in ebay.

Any other recommendations?
The Olympus epm1 is available in your budget. I doubt if anything can be better in this buddget.
Old 28th August 2012, 14:15   #4990
BHPian

Re: CMOS Image Sensor larger than 1/2.3"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
The Olympus epm1 is available in your budget. I doubt if anything can be better in this buddget.
I can up it by another couple of hundreds, please suggest.
Old 28th August 2012, 16:06   #4991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Thanks for the links, will check them out ASAP. BTW apart from Canon the other alternatives seem out of budget.

Anyways how good are these Cams

DSC-W690 : W Series : Digital Still Camera : Sony India

Nikon Imaging Asia Pacific
Sorry for the late reply. The two cameras you've mentioned also seem OK for the price. Best way to test the camera is to go to the showroom with a laptop and a memory card. Click various snaps such as panorama, low light, day light, macro, etc and transfer those immediately on your laptop and then check the quality of the output. All the LCDs on all cameras are very deceptive and don't show the real thing.

No matter how many reviews you read or whatever those reviews say, you should like the camera yourself.
Old 28th August 2012, 16:10   #4992
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks for the help & suggestion, will be visiting the store with a laptop & memory card soon
Old 29th August 2012, 22:58   #4993
Senior - BHPian

Re: CMOS Image Sensor larger than 1/2.3"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I can up it by another couple of hundreds, please suggest.
For a few hundred more you will only gain a few more features in body like an EPL3 but image quality will still be the same. Sony RX00 is a pricey alternative but it still has a smaller sensor than the Oly EPM1. I just bought a Pansonic GX1 for $399 with a bag and a 16GB card thrown in. So it was a pretty good deal. Get the biggest sensor camera that you can afford if IQ is a priority along with good high ISO performance.
Old 3rd September 2012, 15:43   #4994
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a lovely Sony H55 that unfortunately got stolen earlier this year. Since I now have a Galaxy Note had thought I'll use that one and get a DSLR for better pics. But I've realised that there is no substitute for a good high-zoom PnS and find myself in the market again.

Manson recommends the HX10V which I should take to pretty easily since it frm the same family as the cam I lost. But the price at 17,600/- seems high. Am looking at the Olympus VR-350 seriously now, priced at about half that. 16MPixel, 10X zoom, manual mode, one-touch HD video shooting, audio tagging, variety of shooting modes including 3D are some of the things it offers.

I had a trusty old Olympus PnS back when-that got stolen too sadly- and really loved the ease of use and crisp pictures it produced. The corresponding same-spec model from Sony is the W690 which is slightly more expensive and doesn't strike me as in the same class as the H series for some reason.

Any advice?
Old 3rd September 2012, 16:00   #4995
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Manson recommends the HX10V which I should take to pretty easily since it frm the same family as the cam I lost. But the price at 17,600/- seems high.
Noop, have a look at the recent thread favourite, Lumix TX25. Its got some brilliant reviews and is priced much cheaper than the HX 10V in the open market.
Another camera I seriously considered was the CAD sensor equipped Sony H90, its got almost all the same stuff at the HX 10V and is a clear 4K cheaper too. I was almost certain about it but then decided to go all out for the 10V since we don't land up getting cameras every now and then. Also, Rehaan's opinion of the 10V was highly instrumental in my purchase.

Last edited by manson : 3rd September 2012 at 16:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks