Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2012, 14:51   #4951
BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Guys I need serious help. Going for a trip next month and thinking if I should buy a PowerZoom or a DSLR.

In the PowerZoom range, I have selected :

Canon PowerShot SX260

In DSLR it's:

Canon 1100D with Kit.

Main use that I am looking for is Zoom photography, Wide Angle shooting for Panamromic shots, Night shots (with good clarity).

Experts please advise.
For general vacation/travel avoid DSLr (too bulky). A better choice would be P&S with a decent zoom range. Wide angle should start at 24/25 mm. I would suggest travel zoom starting at above wide angle and having a 16 or 20x zoom. These are very compact size cameras. Bigger zoom than this, the camera size will increase substantially so as not to fit in your pocket. If you are comfortable with that, give the superzooms a try.

Night shots with good clarity - this may be an issue with most P&S cameras with larger zoom range. They are not ideally suited for low light situations as the lowest apertures are quite high. Read reviews of the models you shortlist on the net and specifically look for how the models fare in low light situations. DPReview is a good site for this kind of information.

A few good models have been suggested in the previous post. Look at their reviews on the net.

A couple that I may suggest are the Canon SX260 and the Panasonic TZ25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
One doubt though, will the picture quality of, for example, SX40 and SX260 be comparable? I mean, I've heard people saying the image quality of super-zooms are not as good as some P&S, or is it just in the high zoom range?
Generally, in good light conditions the image quality of the SX260 and SX40 will be quite comparable in the 25-500mm range with the SX260 perhaps slightly better. The image quality of the SX40 shall deteriorate in the higher zoom range, but that is only natural and in any case the SX260 does not offer this range so it doesn't matter. However, I think I read in some review that the SX260 is one of the better hight zoom camera for low light situations. Do check out on DPReviews the reviews of these models, or any other models you are considering.

Regards
Old 17th July 2012, 15:27   #4952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Canon 1100D with kit lens is ruled out, if you are looking for super zoom. SX260 is a good choice, but its an expensive option given the number of features it has. Why don't you also look at other options?

1) Sony HX100V (Same price, 30x optical zoom, 3D photos and video, excellent panaroma shooting)
2) Nikon P510 (42x optical zoom, same price, fresh model in the market)
Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Stay away from the DSLR if you are a novice.
You can have a look at FZ series from Lumix. Proven workhorse.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Whenever I start, will be a novice for the DSLR, so why not now.

What if I up the ante and buy a DSLR with a Zoom Lens. Which one should I opt for? How much zoom would a 75-300 provide.
Old 17th July 2012, 15:38   #4953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What if I up the ante and buy a DSLR with a Zoom Lens. Which one should I opt for? How much zoom would a 75-300 provide.
Learning curve is steep with a DSLR.
DSLR ranks right up there along with a Guitar which every guy buys and then lets it collect dust.

And Zoom zone is an expensive zone in planet DSLR.
Old 17th July 2012, 16:18   #4954
BHPian

Quote:

Sure, you have to start sometime, so why not now. But be prepared to handle the learning curve. DSLR's, other than pro models, do offer scene modes to help out. If you up the ante and purchase the kit (body + 18-55 zoom with IS) and a 75-300 zoom with IS, you are effectively covering a range from 30mm wide to 420mm tele (in a Canon body), say 14x zoom range but with two zoom lens. Your kit will certainly be more bulky as compared to P&S.

One more thing to consider, in P&S the entire zoom range has image stabilization. In case of Canon DSLR the zoom lens are probably offered both with and without image stabilization, the former being more expensive. In case you purchase 75-300 without IS, it would be advisable to buy a good tripod or monopod also.

regards
Old 17th July 2012, 16:38   #4955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys I need serious help. Going for a trip next month and thinking if I should buy a PowerZoom or a DSLR.

In the PowerZoom range, I have selected :

Canon PowerShot SX260

In DSLR it's:

Canon 1100D with Kit.

Main use that I am looking for is Zoom photography, Wide Angle shooting for Panamromic shots, Night shots (with good clarity).

Experts please advise.
About a month back,i was in similar dilemma,of Entry level DSLR vs High Zoom Point and shoot cams,since i am not much of a photographer(I think of it as a necessary evil),i ended up purchasing a Nikon P510.
It has enough features to keep one busy,and enough auto modes for almost every possible photo requirement,plus in cam features like Panorma,photo editing,selective coloring,are an added advantage,and not to mention it takes decent shots in the dark as well.
And at a price of 20.5K in open market,its pretty good VFM.
Buy a DSLR only if you think of taking up photography as a hobby,and are ready to carry lenses around.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 17th July 2012 at 16:39.
Old 17th July 2012, 17:59   #4956
BHPian

Quote:

I was in the same dilemma year back and went with Panasonic FZ100. Though it is an excellent camera the photo & lens quality does not match with the DSLR, though you have excellent zoom options and other features. So recently bought the Canon 1100D for 23K and 55-200mm zoom lens for around 9500. Very much satisfied with the DSLR, disadvantage is that you might carry additional lens and every time you need to change the lenses to take a long shot.

If you don't want DSLR then check the Panasonic FZ150 reviews and samples.
Old 17th July 2012, 18:14   #4957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I was in the same dilemma year back and went with Panasonic FZ100. Though it is an excellent camera the photo & lens quality does not match with the DSLR, though you have excellent zoom options and other features. So recently bought the Canon 1100D for 23K and 55-200mm zoom lens for around 9500. Very much satisfied with the DSLR, disadvantage is that you might carry additional lens and every time you need to change the lenses to take a long shot.

If you don't want DSLR then check the Panasonic FZ150 reviews and samples.
Gopinathan, did you buy the 1100D with the kit lens or just the body. 23k is a very nice price even if you got just the body. Was that from a Canon store with bill and warranty or some online offer? Do let me know.

How is the zoom on the 55-200. Is it good for clicking forts from far off?

Thanks for the information.
Old 17th July 2012, 19:55   #4958
BHPian

gauravdgr8: 23K is with the 18-55mm kit lens, bought it from ebay.in during promotional offer where I got with the Canon EOS bag with 4GB memory card, it has 2 years manufacturer warranty after registering in canon site.

The zoom of 55-200mm is okay, you cannot expect to be like the 20X optical zoom, however you can crop the photos and still retain much clarity because of the IQ.

Quote:
Gopinathan, did you buy the 1100D with the kit lens or just the body. 23k is a very nice price even if you got just the body. Was that from a Canon store with bill and warranty or some online offer? Do let me know.

How is the zoom on the 55-200. Is it good for clicking forts from far off?

Thanks for the information.
Old 21st July 2012, 00:48   #4959
BHPian

So have got a quote of 26k from the Canon stockist for the 1100D with kit lens.

Now, what I want to check is if this is a good price for the 1100D. I am in no hurry and can wait for about a week before finalizing the deal. So still have some time to search.

Looked in all the websites and the lowest am getting is Rs:26099/- on ebay.

Anyone in who knows where to get a better deal?
Old 21st July 2012, 00:59   #4960
BHPian

Panasonic reveals DMC FZ200 super zoom with constant 2.8 lens - Panasonic reveals DMC-FZ200 high-end superzoom with constant F2.8 lens: Digital Photography Review

Other new super zooms from the Panasonic family

Mid-range - FZ60/62 - Panasonic creates DMC-FZ60 and FZ62 mid-price 16MP superzooms: Digital Photography Review

Budget - LZ20 - Panasonic offers Lumix DMC-LZ20 budget 21X CCD superzoom: Digital Photography Review
Old 22nd July 2012, 09:13   #4961
BHPian

Did you check this one, including kit lens
Price: 21,000
Canon EOS 1100D / Rebel T3 12.2 Megapixels Digital SLR Camera - Black | eBay

Price: 22,900, feedback 97%
Canon EOS 1100D SLR Camera with18-55mm IS Kit Lens+2Years Manufacturer Warranty | eBay

Quote:
So have got a quote of 26k from the Canon stockist for the 1100D with kit lens.

Now, what I want to check is if this is a good price for the 1100D. I am in no hurry and can wait for about a week before finalizing the deal. So still have some time to search.

Looked in all the websites and the lowest am getting is Rs:26099/- on ebay.

Anyone in who knows where to get a better deal?
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:27   #4962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I did check them, however will have to call them and check if they are the ones with IS. As the non-IS ones are the older models and a couple of k's less.

However thanks for pointing at the right place.
Old 24th July 2012, 08:54   #4963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8

I did check them, however will have to call them and check if they are the ones with IS. As the non-IS ones are the older models and a couple of k's less.

However thanks for pointing at the right place.
Go with the second one which has IS, first one looks he is selling USA model, so no warranty in India
Old 31st July 2012, 17:47   #4964
BHPian

Help pick up a new Travel Zoom PnS for mom!

Hi guys,

Need to pick up a new Travel Zoom PnS for mom.

Have shortlisted two models - Nikon S8200 and Panasonic TZ25.

On paper, both seem evenly matched, with the Panasonic having a slight edge on few parameters.

Looking for feedback and opinions from actual owners / users.

S8200 vs TZ25.xlsx
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:37   #4965
BHPian

Re: Help pick up a new Travel Zoom PnS for mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Hi guys,

Need to pick up a new Travel Zoom PnS for mom.

Have shortlisted two models - Nikon S8200 and Panasonic TZ25.

On paper, both seem evenly matched, with the Panasonic having a slight edge on few parameters.

Looking for feedback and opinions from actual owners / users.

Attachment 963815
Read TZ25 vs TZ15 reviews on the net (dpreview is one site). I think TZ15 may be a better choice wrt image quality. I don't own one, so cannot comment first hand, but plan to buy either Panasonic TZ15 or Canon SX260 shortly.

Again no personal experience but reading on the net suggest that nikon's image quality not upto the same mark as the canon or panasonic.

Edit: My mistake above, some confusion wrt panasonic USA vs Asia nomenclature. TZ15 is an older lineup. TZ25 is supposed to have better image quality than it's more expensive sibling, the TZ30.

Last edited by chaudhrysan : 2nd August 2012 at 16:48. Reason: mistake

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks