Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2011, 16:49   #4801
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

The digital camera I'm using, most, these days most is that of my Nokia N8. It's just awesome for a mobile phone camera. There also apps on the Ovi Store to further improve on the camera like Camera Pro 8 and Shutter Pro Lite. the results are great. Clay artefacts and a sunset from a moving train.
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-161020111214-copy.jpg  

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-22052011290-copy1-copy.jpg  

Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 20:20   #4802
Senior - BHPian

Re: All day carry around camera to supplement DSLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
4. Olympus XZ-1
Why?
- Very bright lens (f1.8 - f2.5 across the zoom range)
- Nice LCD
- Is medium in size
Why Not?
- Not really sure of the brand
- High ISO performance isnt great
- 25k is a bit steep
I will suggest that you go for XZ-1.
It is a very good camera. Its just that it arrived at the scene a bit too late. And hence overshadowed by the already established ones.

BTW its going for 21500 now on letsbuy.
Buy Olympus XZ-1 Black Digital Camera at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews
Old 19th November 2011, 00:10   #4803
BHPian

I have a unused Panasonic FZ100 LA5 Telephoto Adapter, ping me know if anyone needs it.
Old 21st November 2011, 20:45   #4804
Senior - BHPian

Dear Camera Gurus,

I'm being offered a Samsung LP100 with box and all accessories except the SD Card for Rs 5750.

Would you recommend buying this camera?

Well, this will be our secondary can. We already have a Sony DSC H50.

Thanks in.anticipation.
Old 27th November 2011, 22:07   #4805
BANNED

Some folks told me that Canon Powershot is having frequent lens error. Even after repairing, the same problem will come back. My two year old one is having problem for the 2nd time.

Is this true ?
Old 27th November 2011, 23:23   #4806
BHPian

@mithun

it might be true as even I am facing the same issue with my Canon Powershot Sx120Is
the lens has been repalced under warranty but again the sam issue of random blurry image has cropped up again.

Gurus
I am upgrading to a DSLR camera budget is 30k
which to go for Canon 1000D , Canon 1100D or Nikon 3100D?

on paper Nikon looks better but in feel terms felt the Canon more sturdier and since i have been using canon i felt it more user friendly than nikon.

Please help.
Old 28th November 2011, 14:46   #4807
BHPian

Apart from the Canon EOS 550D, I also have the Nikon S9100 for my daily point and shoot needs. Found this to be a great camera and the among the best in the compact superzoom category!
Old 8th December 2011, 12:41   #4808
BHPian

Bought a Black Lumix TZ-20 for 16K two days back. I had short listed Canon SX 220 HS, Sony HX9v and TZ-20. Havent got time so far to really use it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-tz20.jpg  

Old 8th December 2011, 13:04   #4809
BHPian

Dear Camera Gurus,

I have a situation here; my wife and myself got interested in photography some time back. We had a regular point and shoot Canon A95. We thought of graduating to DSLR, without realising what it meant. Bought a used DSLR, a Nikon D50 with 18-55 lens and kit bag for 20,000 Rs about a year ago. Tried using it, but we didn't enjoy it. Now we want to sell it and buy something we can use.

I have posted the camera on JJMehta forum. No response yet. Checked with Nikon, they offer a buy back. The buy back price is Rs 10k. We will be restricted to Nikon cameras then. Within Nikon which is a good camera. The features we are looking at are:

a. A good zoom
b. Full HD recording

Please guide. Also if you can guide me on how to get out this situation in a better way. My experience with Canon has been good (in terms of service). I would personally prefer buying a Canon. Can I un-bundle the camera body and lens and expect a better price?

Thanks!

D
Old 8th December 2011, 15:05   #4810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Dear Camera Gurus,

I have a situation here; my wife and myself got interested in photography some time back. We had a regular point and shoot Canon A95. We thought of graduating to DSLR, without realising what it meant. Bought a used DSLR, a Nikon D50 with 18-55 lens and kit bag for 20,000 Rs about a year ago. Tried using it, but we didn't enjoy it. Now we want to sell it and buy something we can use.

I have posted the camera on JJMehta forum. No response yet. Checked with Nikon, they offer a buy back. The buy back price is Rs 10k. We will be restricted to Nikon cameras then. Within Nikon which is a good camera. The features we are looking at are:

a. A good zoom
b. Full HD recording

Please guide. Also if you can guide me on how to get out this situation in a better way. My experience with Canon has been good (in terms of service). I would personally prefer buying a Canon. Can I un-bundle the camera body and lens and expect a better price?

Thanks!

D
Hi there, I was in a similar situation as you a month ago. I was upgrading from a point and shoot camera and did not want to buy an entry level DSLR for the sake of buying one. So instead I picked a camera from a category down. The Super zoom category. Every manufacture has a model in this category. The models I shortlisted were as follows:

Canon SX30IS/SX40IS
Nikon Coolpix P500
Sony DSC-HX 100V

This is how i eliminated the others to come to my choice:

Canon SX30IS:

This has a lot of rave reviews about the performance and quality of its processor. It was priced at Rs 25,000. But unfortunately, it had just be replaced by a newer model the SX40IS and the price had gone up to Rs29,000. So omitted it from my list.

Nikon Coolpix P500

This was a very strong contender due to the Brand (i.e Nikon) and the price of Rs 20,000. But the ISO and the Shutter speed range was a bit limited so I chucked this out of my list.

Sony DSC-HX100V:

This too had rave reviews, and was within my budget since it was priced at rs 22,500. This looked like the best mix of the features found in the Canon model and the Nikon unit. So I bought this instead.

All these cameras have super zoom of atleast 30X. thats like 780-800mm. We can also manually adjust settings like shutter speed, ISO, dept of field etc etc.The sony camera also has a very good anti shake system. thereby covering for us amateurs. HD movie recording, panorama feature. All in all, a good camera for amateurs not quite ready for a full on DSLR.

Since you have not specified a price range, i just gave you my personal experience with regards to my camera. Hope it was of help.

Last edited by amrisharm : 8th December 2011 at 15:08.
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 15:27   #4811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post

Since you have not specified a price range, i just gave you my personal experience with regards to my camera. Hope it was of help.

Thanks amrisharm! That was very useful response. My price limit is sub 20K. 20K in fact is a stretch. The problem I am facing is that I am stuck with a Nikon and I can not switch brands while exchanging. Within Nikon is there any other camera that serves the purpose and is a little bit cheaper?

D
Old 8th December 2011, 16:55   #4812
BHPian

I am gravitating towards Nikon CoolPix L120 @ Rs 13,000. Have been comparing it with Nikon CoolPix P500 @ Rs 21,000. The extras in P500 are 36X zoom as compared to 21X of L120, some manual controls to adjust the aperture (etc) settings, full HD recording as compared to HD recording in L120. The price difference is too much to justify the benefits. Also, P500 comes with a Li-ion battery as compared to L120 which can be run on regular pencil cells (AA size).

I find this to be a big plus in travel scenario. Duracell can be bought any place and one gets clicking. I have friends whose cameras ran out of battery during tours (while in a fort, or in a boat) and they were left watching others clicking. This despite proper planning and keeping a count of clicks. Nothing beats AA cells.

So please let me know as think aloud, that is it a good buy (CoolPix L120). Also in terms of exchange (I am planning to exchange my DSLR, refer to my earlier post), I will not have to shell out much money. I am planning to pick up the camera on coming Saturday. Any good sites to read a fair review of this camera?

Awaiting your inputs.

Ciao,

D
Old 8th December 2011, 17:52   #4813
BHPian

This snap was taken from my Canon SX30IS last weekend on my visit to Pawankhind.
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-img_1467_1.jpg  

rkavthekar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 11:34   #4814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
I am gravitating towards Nikon CoolPix L120 @ Rs 13,000. Have been comparing it with Nikon CoolPix P500 @ Rs 21,000. The extras in P500 are 36X zoom as compared to 21X of L120, some manual controls to adjust the aperture (etc) settings, full HD recording as compared to HD recording in L120. The price difference is too much to justify the benefits. Also, P500 comes with a Li-ion battery as compared to L120 which can be run on regular pencil cells (AA size).

I find this to be a big plus in travel scenario. Duracell can be bought any place and one gets clicking. I have friends whose cameras ran out of battery during tours (while in a fort, or in a boat) and they were left watching others clicking. This despite proper planning and keeping a count of clicks. Nothing beats AA cells.

So please let me know as think aloud, that is it a good buy (CoolPix L120). Also in terms of exchange (I am planning to exchange my DSLR, refer to my earlier post), I will not have to shell out much money. I am planning to pick up the camera on coming Saturday. Any good sites to read a fair review of this camera?

Awaiting your inputs.

Ciao,

D
The Coolpix L120 is a very good fully automatic camera. I had the opportunity to use the previous model, the L100 (my friend's) and it gave great looking pictures as long as there is ample light. Once you get to a situation where you have to use flash, then pictures come out a little flat. The way we get around this situation in my sony camera is by manually adjusting the settings, but in the case of the L120 you will not have that option. If you are willing to live with that then the L120 is a fantastic product. I too had checked it out before buying my sony camera, and the one reason why i removed it from my list is because of lack of manual settings.

To give you an idea of what it means to not have manual setting look at the picture below:

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-p1010150.jpg

This picture was taken using manual settings in my pervious camera the Olympus SP350. My friend had his Nikon coolpix L100 with him, but the shutter speed was not slowing down enough to capture this picture, and when he used flash, the mountain and all did not show up.

Where as i used a tripod and manually adjusted the shutter speed to a very slow setting thereby eliminating the need of a flash and so got this picture lit up by nothing but moonlight.

So pls dont be disappointed once you find out the limitations of the L120 in low light. Be prepared for it, and if you can do that then you will be happy with your L120.

Some of the sites that have info on this camera are as follows:

Nikon Coolpix L120 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Nikon Coolpix L120 Review

I normally use the site called Digital Photography Review, but it seems this camera has not been reviewed on this website yet.

good luck!
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 11:51   #4815
Senior - BHPian

Anyone having FujiFilm X100?
I am inclined to buy it but the massive 60k price is holding me down.
I will admit without shame that I really do not functionally need this camera(LX3 is perfect for me) but this is closest a commoner can get to a Leica lookalike. Mind you its not a rangefinder camera.
This one is a beautiful camera. And the gear head in me is egging me on.
I consoling myself: Recession looming. Do not buy this camera. Do not buy this camera.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks