Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2011, 14:06   #4816
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

I bought a canon IXUS 220 HS from reliance digital for Rs.10600 today.

I love the size of the camera. The main requirement was a camera that can be easily carried in my jeans pocket. The image quality looks good as per the couple of shots I took today.
Old 12th December 2011, 18:02   #4817
BHPian

Need inputs from the shutter bugs.

I have a Sony H20 which by brother took with him to his onsite location. Since I would be in need one here, I was considering weather to buy another camera or go for a handycam.

Handycam came into consideration as I always wanted to have one, but was suprised to know that the still images it captures is of less than 5mp! (3.3mp in most examples) I want the handycam to have a decent still image too, as it would serve the purpose of both Handycam and Stillcam.

I am not sure if its a good idea to have both handycam and still cam in one, don't know if I thinking too much!

If you know any good handycams which fit the bill please reply. If you are suggesting me a camera then Sony H20 is the benchmark for me, I was extermely happy with its performance.

Budget ~20k
Old 12th December 2011, 20:23   #4818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post

I have a Sony H20 which by brother took with him to his onsite location. Since I would be in need one here, I was considering weather to buy another camera or go for a handycam.

Handycam came into consideration as I always wanted to have one, but was suprised to know that the still images it captures is of less than 5mp! (3.3mp in most examples) I want the handycam to have a decent still image too, as it would serve the purpose of both Handycam and Stillcam.

I am not sure if its a good idea to have both handycam and still cam in one, don't know if I thinking too much!

If you know any good handycams which fit the bill please reply. If you are suggesting me a camera then Sony H20 is the benchmark for me, I was extermely happy with its performance.

Budget ~20k
Well have you considered a still camera with HD movie recording capability? That way you get the best of both worlds, as in, 10MP+ still pictures and video recording in 1080HD.

I have a canon brochure with me and so look at the following:

Canon Powershot SX220 HS MRP approx Rs 15,000-16,000
Canon Powershot SX230 HS MRP approx Rs 17000

The left over money from Rs 20,000, well you can spend it on buying a higher capacity memory card for video recording as while taking HD video, you use up quite a bit of memory.

I personally have a Sony DSC-HX100V 2 months old, and it too has 1080HD recording and I must say it has fantastic picture quality, both video and still. I paid Rs. 22,000 for it. But I would like to add my priority is still pictures over video. But because the quality of video is great i find myself using the video feature quite often now-a-days.

Last edited by amrisharm : 12th December 2011 at 20:28.
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 20:25   #4819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Both have dedicated purpose and are specially built for that, however, they try to overlap to expand their target market. You have a better chance of using a still cam as handycam than the other way round.

Just one advice from my experience. Nobody has time to watch your 30 mins video of a zoo trip and then another 30 mins of something else etc. Pics are easy to share. I have been using video function only for our family videos and they get watched probably twice an year.
Old 13th December 2011, 15:01   #4820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
That way you get the best of both worlds, as in, 10MP+ still pictures and video recording in 1080HD.
A vaild point. But is taking Video as easy as handycam? This would have been a default decision had there not been a H20 in the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
You have a better chance of using a still cam as handycam than the other way round.
That seems to be the verdict from most reviews as well. Handycam with 12mp still cost upwards of 50k

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Just one advice from my experience. Nobody has time to watch your 30 mins video of a zoo trip and then another 30 mins of something else etc. Pics are easy to share. I have been using video function only for our family videos and they get watched probably twice an year.
I too hate it when friends make me watch videos. However, personally I like to watch my vacation videos, takes me back to the sandy beaches of Goa.
Old 13th December 2011, 15:30   #4821
BHPian

Quote:
A vaild point. But is taking Video as easy as handycam? This would have been a default decision had there not been a H20 in the house.
Yea the record function is quite easy to start up. Looking at my camera, the sony DSC-HX100V (Mrp RS 22,000) there is a button on the back side as highlighted inside the red circle in the pic below. If i press that, then the camera starts recording movie within 3 seconds. I also can zoom in and out using the cameras zoom. I have heard in cheaper models, you cannot zoom in or out in video mode. So check that if you decide to go for a still camera.

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-sony.jpg

Looking at a camera within your budget, something like a Canon Powershot SX220HS (MRP RS 15,000 approx), then its just a question of rotating the nob to movie mode and then pressing record. I also noticed a red button in this model and I suspect you can go direct to movie record by pressing this button just like in my camera. But do check that fact. I am just guessing out here.

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-canon.jpg

Also I was just checking prices for Video cameras offered by Canon and the cheapest I saw that will record at Full HD1080 is the Canon Legria HF R205 and it costs approx Rs 18,000-19,000.

Where as the cheapest still camera from canon that records in Full HD1080 is the Canon IXUS 115HS priced at Rs 9,000 approx. (Dont know what features are offered and not offered, do check the products in detail before buying).

It all comes down to what you want in the end. My personal experience is you need one still camera in a household. But your opinion may defer. good luck!

Last edited by amrisharm : 13th December 2011 at 15:35.
Old 13th December 2011, 16:55   #4822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Where as the cheapest still camera from canon that records in Full HD1080 is the Canon IXUS 115HS priced at Rs 9,000 approx. (Dont know what features are offered and not offered, do check the products in detail before buying).
I checked out the video of Canon IXUS 220HS which I bought yesterday. The video quality (especially while zooming) is no where near my Sony full hd handicam. But it is good considering that the camera is a super compact point and shoot available at 10k.

As mentioned by amrisharm, check out the products in detail before buying.
PatienceWins is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 14:41   #4823
Senior - BHPian

I am using a Cybershot 7.2 cam at present and looking for an entry level DSLR. Have seen following on flipcart
1. Canon EOS 1000D with EFS 18-55 Lens @ Rs. 22575
2. Nikon D3000 with AF-S 18-55 VR Lens @ Rs. 24690

Request you guys advise on selecting one among this or something else in similar price range.

Thanks,
Old 14th December 2011, 15:33   #4824
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I finally exchanged my Nikon D50 DSLR for a Nikon CoolPix L120. The L120 is an amazing camera for home use purpose and travelling. A point and shoot cant get better then this. Those interested may check this review Nikon Coolpix L120 Review

Both my wife and me are very happy with the purchase. We got a pittance of Rs 7K for the D50. This one costed us Rs 13K. This camera is a true point and shoot. The back lit (against a bright window) pics are superb. Shall post some. The auto click on smile is a lovely feature to have with young kids. It just clicks every time my 4 year old smiles. The zoom and wide angle is good enough for the kind of usage we have (mostly required to click travel pics). It lets me crop pics on camera itself. Saves the hassle of going on a PC and doing it.

I picked a candy red colour. It is a stunner!

Thanks for all the help available on this forum.

Ciao,

D
Old 30th December 2011, 09:50   #4825
Distinguished - BHPian

A few months ago, bought a Canon Powershot SX-130 IS. Whenever i use it to click pictures, there is an ugly date and time stamp that comes on bottom right corner.

I am just unable to disable that feature as I find it quite immaturish to let the whole world know on what date and time i took that particular picture

I checked the menu and see the date set option but, not one where i can disable it. Any pointers?
Old 30th December 2011, 10:08   #4826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds
I am using a Cybershot 7.2 cam at present and looking for an entry level DSLR. Have seen following on flipcart

Request you guys advise on selecting one among this or something else in similar price range.

Thanks,
Both are good cameras. If you shoot more of people then consider nikon.
Nikon gives you excellent and very pleasing colours. Canon gives u the colours as you see . Low light canon better.
If you planning to move into photography , my preference is canon. Great lineup of lenses and less costly compared to nikon.

At the end of the day image u get is of what u ask from the camera, the person behind it makes the difference not the box in the hand.

Final suggestion : canon
Old 30th December 2011, 10:15   #4827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
A few months ago, bought a Canon Powershot SX-130 IS. Whenever i use it to click pictures, there is an ugly date and time stamp that comes on bottom right corner.

I am just unable to disable that feature as I find it quite immaturish to let the whole world know on what date and time i took that particular picture

I checked the menu and see the date set option but, not one where i can disable it. Any pointers?
First check if yo set the cam in postcard mode, date gets imprinted on that.
Go to menu settings and look for date stamp, and disable it. It should work.
Old 30th December 2011, 10:26   #4828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post

Thanks,
The products you have mentioned are products that are about to be phased out. Newer versions have already been released, the canon EOS 1100 and the Nikon D3100. the newer ones have higher MPixels with wider setting ranges for shutter speed, ISO etc, so i would suggest you pay the extra 5,000 and get the newer version. When you buy a camera you generally keep for atleast 3-5 yrs so invest a little extra and buy a newly released product. For reference, the EOS 1000 was released in June 2008, a full 3.5 years ago, where as the EOS 1100 was released in feb/march 2011.

Of the two models, well they are pretty much equally matched in terms of performance, so just hold both in your hands and see what feels more comfortable and which looks better in your opinion and go for that one.

Last edited by amrisharm : 30th December 2011 at 10:27.
Old 13th January 2012, 10:58   #4829
BHPian

Got a Sony DSC-WX9 it was carried from USA by a friend of mine. Cost me 9.5k including a 8gb memory card. I am no expert but the pics look good. Indoor images appear a little reddish, a review quoted that the camera has a high red saturation.

A pic I took in our garden. With the background defocus option.

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dsc00040.jpg
Old 14th January 2012, 10:12   #4830
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I use the Panny FZ100 (while collecting Vitamin-M for upgrades ). The cam has an option to set Travel Date and Destination. On a recent trip I used this in-camera setting to set the Travel Dates and Destinations, in the hope to be able to sort/identify Pics based on that information.

But after coming home and checking the pics, I dont seem to find this information anywhere. I have checked the memory card/folders and the EXIF Data on the pics but dont see that info anywhere.

Can someone please help me with this?? I traveled to a few destinations in the trip and I'm sure that in a few months/years I will forget which image was clicked where.

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks a lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks