Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2007, 21:07   #796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Hi Benbsb,
You may also look at the Fuji Finepix S5700. It has all the features of the S3IS except for the swivel screen. Have been using it for a couple of months now and I like it more than the S3IS (Purely my opinion having compared with my friend's cam).
It sells for 14k in India. Should be cheaper in Dubai. I feel its good VFM.
- Jag
Does Fuji has image stabilization? Also its 10.7X optical aganist 12X optical zoom of Canon.
Old 7th September 2007, 21:16   #797
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am a bit more inclined towards the Pentax K10D? What do you guys say?
K10D just for the weather seals? Unless you are planning to shoot a lot outdoors in dusty/rainy/snowy weather, that shouldn't be your criteria.

All these are very good, Olympus and Pentax are more VFM, Canon & Nikon offer more lens choices. Most dSLR users spend 70% of money on lenses and 30% on body. These days it is becoming more like 80-20. Therefore focus on lenses, see which family offers you more choice or VFM that you look for and then make a decision. Most people spend 6 month to a year to decide on a dSLR, so take your time.
Old 7th September 2007, 21:26   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A question to DSLR guru's... Rudra, please help.

Which one of these.....
Pentax K10D, Canon 400D, Nikon D80 or Olympus E510? All of them are priced almost the same. While Oly and Pentax give me image stabilization and dust cleaning both, pentax goes ahead and also gives all weather usability and sealed controls, and oly also gives me live view, Canon's high ISO performace is unparalled and it also gives me dust reduction sytem but doesnt gives me spot metering and neither image stabilization, Nikon D80 is the priciest of the lot with least extra features.

I am a bit more inclined towards the Pentax K10D? What do you guys say?
Hey Extreme_torque,
Not a Guru though,but still my 2 cents.. I would like to go for either Canon 400D or mostly Nikon D80. D80 is mostly for the ergonomics(you should try handling one of these and then 400D, you would see the different). 400D will be chosen for it's features and range of Canon lenses.
Oly and Pentax though they are both very good cameras I would not like to go for them mostly because of the options in lenses.It's very much limited compare to Nikon or Canon.One just can't compare them with the offerings made from Canon or Nikon.
And I somehow feel D80 to be more pro then puny 400D and I would probably chose it over 400D (BTW I myself is a loyal Canon user ) Actually it's D40x from Nikon which comes in the same bracket as 400D. D80 is somewhat in between 30D and 400D. And if 30D was there on ur list then I would've blindly gone for 30D.
Another thing about IS, on the lens IS gives better o/p then moving the sensor AFAIK.
Dust reduction, I doubt the efficiency of it, always better to do it manually or at the service center.
Canon doesn't have spot but it has partial metering(9% of the image area) and believe me, it works.
Old 7th September 2007, 21:32   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does Fuji has image stabilization? Also its 10.7X optical aganist 12X optical zoom of Canon.
No, Fuji S5700 doesn't have IS.
Old 7th September 2007, 21:34   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Most dSLR users spend 70% of money on lenses and 30% on body. These days it is becoming more like 80-20. Therefore focus on lenses, see which family offers you more choice or VFM that you look for and then make a decision.
Now thats a real photographer talking.

I go by the same, dont spend much on the body instead use the money on aquiring new lenses.
Old 7th September 2007, 21:53   #801
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A question to DSLR guru's... Rudra, please help.
A serious correction here extreme_torque. I'm no guru and I don't intend to be one.

There are cameras here with gizmos and there are more to come.
Tell me, how difficult it was few years ago when there was no image stabilization?
Tell me how difficult it was before they introduced anti-dust system?
Tell me how many features in our camera we actually use? Or for that matter, in our mobile phone?

Most of the cameras today are good. Let's be clear about this fact. Depending on your usage, you spend one to get one. But more often than not, we don't use them to their full potential.
All the lenses today, are designed by the computers. Gone are the days when a bunch of people sitting in a row and polishing lens. It's not practical today in terms of cost to sustain.
Fine difference in quality come from quality of glass (read optics) they're using. That's a difference, yes I do agree.

Any camera that suits your budget is fine. Just check about their support in terms of lens and add-ons. Believe me, you won't regret.
Old 7th September 2007, 22:20   #802
Team-BHP Support

I like the pentax from a usability standpoint. Handled it at an expo and was impressed with the ultra bright viewfinder(Canon's is a black hole) and amazing AF(XTs one of the worst)
Anyways Sony has announced the successor to the A100, the A700 which will retail around 1100$.
Normally I am not a sony fan, but this things got some amazing specs
1. 12MP "CMOS" sensor. Note the CMOS, that means A100s CCd is history. This means that the next Nikon(D300?) will have a similar sensor
2. Unique A/D. Read up the white paper. Its very technica. Looks very promising on paper. Can't wait for samples
3. 28-160mm(35mm equiv) kit lens. Nobody else has something like this.
4. 1/8000 shutter speed and 1/250 X sync.
This is apart from the regular IS etc., etc.,
Old 7th September 2007, 23:38   #803
Senior - BHPian

I have been reading reviews on various forums and all of them say pentax is the best of this lot. Although the results at default setting are not so good, infact leave much to be desired, clicking pics in raw and then editing them afterwards gives the best results. Canon gives great jpeg's straight out of the camera, infact I agree when people say Canon's in camera processing is the best. D80 is overall a very good camera but I am not able to justify its cost and it doesnt offers any obvious advantage over others, infact Canon's high ISO performance is better.

Actually confused b/w Canon, Olympus and Pentax? Will have to read more reviews I think but feature for feature pentax seems to a better choice.

P.S I want a DSLR with kit lens under 850$ since I will getting one from US.
Old 8th September 2007, 03:00   #804
Team-BHP Support

Actually I would say the 510 seems to be the best of the lot now.
Delhi is very very dusty, and only Oly could prefect the dust busting.

That said all these cams are good.
So do this.
Handle all of them. Take Either the PEntax or Oly.
Even though I am a Canon guy, I would say the Oly/Pentax are better VFM as compared to the Canikon.
Old 8th September 2007, 09:07   #805
Senior - BHPian

CCD problem advisory

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingmepal View Post
Canon A70 (dead now :( )
Is it a CCD fault?
Are you aware of this Canon advisory:?
Support - Service Notices - Canon USA Consumer Products

Canon will repair it free, regardless of whether it is in warantee or out of it.
Old 8th September 2007, 10:23   #806
Senior - BHPian

@tsk... I am little apprehensive about the 4/3 sensor in oly and being smallest in size in this DSLR group, noise as well.
I just came to know the price in US
Canon 400D --> 650$ with kitlens, all inclusive.
Pentax K10D --> 750$ with kitlens all inclusive.
Dunno abt oly as yet.... but canon for all the impressive specs and canon's experience is the cheapest of the lot.
Old 8th September 2007, 12:59   #807
BANNED

Guys , I need a point & shoot camera and am thinking f going in for the Canon S1000 -- anyone having that please post what your reviews are ??? '

Cheers
Old 8th September 2007, 13:28   #808
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@tsk... I am little apprehensive about the 4/3 sensor in oly and being smallest in size in this DSLR group, noise as well.
I just came to know the price in US
Canon 400D --> 650$ with kitlens, all inclusive.
Pentax K10D --> 750$ with kitlens all inclusive.
Dunno abt oly as yet.... but canon for all the impressive specs and canon's experience is the cheapest of the lot.
you really wan't the canon don't you
Go for it.
In the end if you buy the camera, you will be happiest with the one you feel is the best value.
As for Oly, these guys will give you great service. Its a nice company.
So just don't discount it.
Go to Palika Bazaar exclusive showroom, and then use the camera. Take a few pictures. See if you like them.
Do this will all the cams and then decide.
All three are great cams and will serve you well.
Old 8th September 2007, 13:53   #809
BHPian

Canon 450 D with sigma 18-125mm lens. lovely camera great pics.
Old 8th September 2007, 14:30   #810
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does it really matter? The reviews are saying that the E-510 has dramatically improved (especially noise) over the E-500 that I own. And I am in no hurry to upgrade yet, E-500 is still doing a great job. Recently I ordered many 6x4 feet prints from the E-500 shots with the help of Rudra. From what we have seen, the E-500 4/3 ccd sensor output is world class. Now E-510 has something even better using NMOS.

If Canon is what you want, then buy Canon, you won't be disappointed. I agree with tanveer that right now E-510 gives the best VFM, but then I am an Olympus guy, I could be biased. The Pentax model may be weather sealed, but how many lenses are weather sealed. Meanwhile, all the Olympus lenses I own are weather sealed, but the body isn't.

Most Viewed