Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:13   #1966
BHPian

suggestions for two digi cams in two ranges

hello

im planning to buy two seperate digital camers bot for non proffesional use.My requirements are good quality images(even when shot under poor light) and videos.Please suugest which would be a better deal in between CanonA720IS/SonyW120 and in between Canon 650IS/Sony DSC T300.

Sony offers 3 yrs warranty against Canon's 2 yrs.

thanks.
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:15   #1967
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I wear the bag on my chest if I am expecting a change of lens. .

To change lenses safely one should use a top loader like a holster, shoulder or waist bag and the when open the bag must have some place where one can temporarily store the "screw-on" lens caps.
Old 5th April 2008, 12:36   #1968
Distinguished - BHPian

Anybody from Hyderabad own a Nikon D40X? I need the intaller software as i changed my laptop and my CD is misplaced
Old 5th April 2008, 13:13   #1969
Senior - BHPian

Try here: Nikon Imaging Asia Pacific
Old 5th April 2008, 13:53   #1970
Senior - BHPian

Looking for a real sharp prime for around 400-450$. Its a toss up between the 100mm f/2.8 macro USM and 85mm f/1.8 USM. I already have a 50 f/1.4 so I'm mostly leaning towards the 100mm macro. Suggestions welcome on the pros and cons of either.
Old 5th April 2008, 14:34   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Looking for a real sharp prime for around 400-450$. Its a toss up between the 100mm f/2.8 macro USM and 85mm f/1.8 USM. I already have a 50 f/1.4 so I'm mostly leaning towards the 100mm macro. Suggestions welcome on the pros and cons of either.
rudraji has the 100 2.8 macro and most of the product shots that you get to see from him are with that lens.

what else you need?
Old 5th April 2008, 19:29   #1972
BHPian

HI,
Since past week i was searching for Canon S3 in Delhi but couldn't find one,Can anyone help me out from where can i get same camera from some other place let's say Mumbai or Bangalore???.Help shall be appreciated.
Old 6th April 2008, 08:04   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
rudraji has the 100 2.8 macro and most of the product shots that you get to see from him are with that lens.

what else you need?
I'm planning to get a SIGMA 150mm F2.8 Macro.
Has anybody got any experience with that?

-- Torqy
Old 9th April 2008, 19:39   #1974
BHPian

How about S5 IS for 14.9k in delhi? what would be the cost of 4 gd sd card?
Old 10th April 2008, 12:38   #1975
BHPian

Lens upgrade or camera change?

Hi Guys,

I own a Nikon D40 with the standard 18-55 kit lens. I've spent the last few months finding my way around the camera and have just started to make proper use of it.

I've identified two main weaknesses that I need to address in the kit:
1. No Image Stabilisation in the stock lens - I do a bit of low light photography and do miss this. The 18-55 Nikon lens with VR is 9k in grey at JJ Mehta.
2. Zoom: I do need to invest in a decent zoom lens. For this as well, VR would be necessary. I've identified the Nikon 55-200 AF-S VR. It's available for 11k.

One option I have is to invest in the lenses and keep my existing camera (19k). The other is to upgrade the entire kit. For this I'm looking at the Olympus E-510 (38k with b&w including two lenses - 14-42 and 40-150). Netting of what I might get for my existing camera, the investment would be about 5k more for a higher pixelage camera with b&w, less if I can get it in grey.

Which option of the two would make more sense? I haven't used anything outside the Nikon/Canon universe earlier so don't know about lens/accessories availability and maintenance options.

I'm in no particular hurry and can wait a few weeks before making the purchase. I'll be travelling to Thailand in June. Would it make sense to make the purchases there?

Sorry for the long post. Hope someone who has a bit more experience with cameras can guide me.

Thanks
Jaibir
Old 10th April 2008, 13:28   #1976
Team-BHP Support

Since I own two Olympus DSLR bodies (E500,E3), I can give you the pro and cons.

Pros:
  • Very compact body and lenses, easy to carry around (E3 is an exception)
  • Body based IS, so lenses get IS, and it works very well too.
  • First to offer liveview in entry level.
  • Anti-dust sensor, the most effective one out there.
  • Pretty cheap as long as you don't want very tele or very wide.
  • Very good lenses, there are hardly any bad lenses in Olympus lineup.

Con:
  • Not good at high ISOs, you better stick below ISO800 unless it is E3.
  • Almost no resale value in India since very few own Olympus.
  • Difficult to get lenses of choice for the same reason above. I get my lenses from abroad.
Old 10th April 2008, 13:31   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
Hi Guys,
I've identified two main weaknesses that I need to address in the kit:
1. No Image Stabilisation in the stock lens - I do a bit of low light photography and do miss this.
VR lens may give 1 stop advantage. From my little experience, I found that for lowlight f2.8 is minimum. You need something with a higher aperture than kit lens. Also D40 has superb high iso performance. I suggest you pick up a 50mm prime (f/1.8) bump up the iso and you'll be happy with lowlight performance. It should be available for < $150. There is no point in changing your complete system for this.

I am not sure of tele lens. Nikon users would surely help.
Old 11th April 2008, 12:05   #1978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
I suggest you pick up a 50mm prime (f/1.8) bump up the iso and you'll be happy with lowlight performance. It should be available for < $150.
The problem is that the D40 requires an autofocus motor in the lens (AF - S, AF - I lenses in the Nikon range). This isnt available in the 50 mm prime. With that, I would be stuck on manual focus.

I would need to upgrade my camera body at some point to access a wider variety of lenses even if I do stick with Nikon in any case.

Am doing some more research into the whole canon vs nikon vs pentax vs olympus question (dont really consider sony here - personal bias). Once I pick one and start building up a lens collection, it becomes harder to change.

Thanks for your feedback on Olympus Samurai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
  • Difficult to get lenses of choice for the same reason above. I get my lenses from abroad.
These bit worries me. Most of my work related travel tends to be to the UK, which is an expensive place to shop for such stuff.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th June 2008 at 02:09. Reason: Posts merged
Old 11th April 2008, 15:30   #1979
BHPian

Quote:
The problem is that the D40 requires an autofocus motor in the lens (AF - S, AF - I lenses in the Nikon range). This isnt available in the 50 mm prime. With that, I would be stuck on manual focus.
My friend is using his D40 with manual focus f/1.8 50 mm lens. It seems to be ok unless you are very particular of autofocusing with the lens. Its a great buy for 4.7k!
Old 11th April 2008, 16:19   #1980
BHPian

Quote:
Am doing some more research into the whole canon vs nikon vs pentax vs olympus question (dont really consider sony here - personal bias). Once I pick one and start building up a lens collection, it becomes harder to change.
hi, just wanted to know why you are not considering the sony. if there is anything worth knowing that goes against, would sure like to have the info as i was planning to get myself the sony a700 and an array of cheap manual focus second hand lenses along with the sony 18-200/250. though things got pushed to the back burner for a while, i'd still like to know the opinions all here have about this particular slr.

this is a remake of the minolta maxxum 7d, a highly desirable camera, to me at least :-) have used older generation minolta film slrs, i am absolutely in love with the quality they provide, haven't been able to lay my hands on any from their digital line though and sadly the company doesn't exist anymore.

i had started my search with the canon 30d and 70-200 f/4 l, graduated to the 40d with lens constant, then suddenly found nikon d200 with the 18-200 vr lens irresistible and just by the time started enquiring with dealers for the d200, the sony came into picture. a lot of reading on the net has tilted the scales towards the a700, the best features being the dynamic range and vr in body.

the main reason being the availability and usefulness of a lot of old minolta lenses, being the manual focus type helps me here. with the vr in the body itself, any lens one puts becomes vr and one can avoid the premium to be paid on other lens assemblies as such. i was in fact bidding on a 22 years old minolta zoom on ebay when priorities took an about turn and plans got shelved for some more time, not that i mind, i'll get to buy a matured product when i do buy it.

now if there are really any issues with this particular body that needs to be known, please update.
cheers!

Most Viewed