Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2008, 02:33   #1891
BHPian

Under 25k DSLR

I'm Planning to upgrade to a DSLR camera after going through the reviews and findings found that Nikon d40x is the best VFM and entry level DSLR , I might be wrong since I ain't a pro.

my budget is 25000/- its too good to resist then I can stretch another 5 , less the merrier
what camera should I go for

Adios
Old 21st March 2008, 06:38   #1892
BHPian

I got a S5 IS in burma bazzar- chennai for 13.5K two months back. The S3 IS was sold for 11.5K. The camera works perfectly and I feel its the best VFM camera in the prosumer category.
Old 21st March 2008, 13:36   #1893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romyeo4u View Post
I'm Planning to upgrade to a DSLR camera after going through the reviews and findings found that Nikon d40x is the best VFM and entry level DSLR , I might be wrong since I ain't a pro.

my budget is 25000/- its too good to resist then I can stretch another 5 , less the merrier

Adios

Romyeo4u, i have bought a Nikon D40X about 6 months ago. I must confess, its an absolutely wonderful camera. I strongly recommend you to go for it.
Old 21st March 2008, 15:37   #1894
BHPian

I have been with a Nikon L10 for too long, and wish to upgrade to a sub-8000 P&S. I am not ready for a SLR yet.

I am pretty content with the L10, but I wanted a camera which "looked good outside" but performed equally. Under there, I shortlisted SONY W-55, / SONY W-35, (barely any difference). These are available for Rs. 8200 and Rs. 7300 respectively. OE Batteries would be a plus point as I dont really enjoy the hassle of alkalines. Simply put, I need a "Compact, efficient camera" !

Please add more options to my list. I intend to purchase the camera in 2 weeks.
Old 21st March 2008, 16:38   #1895
BHPian

I'm a S3IS user and i vote for the Canon S5 IS.
It is an amazing camera with many functions that you will find even after a year!
Good quality output, not a hard-core consumer camera though! Needs a bit of final touch(post processing), but Sony and other Consumer cameras need no P.P.

If you are a user who wants to Post Process and spend time on your work, then you need something like the S3 or the New S5 IS series.

Else listen to choombak and get the SLIM Consumer cameras!

I bet it is not easy to carry the S series canon cameras. You need heavy battery backup, extra batteries, a bigger pouch/bag, and need to hang it on your shoulders and it is a volumnous process buddy!
Old 21st March 2008, 16:39   #1896
Senior - BHPian

I got a rare chance to play with a 27 year old SLR, the Canon AE-1. This belongs to a colleague in the US. He remembers to have brought in the late 70's and it was just released about a week back.

But I later found out that this model is a Canon AE-1 Program released in 1981. I took a few images and proccesed, none came out well. I dont think I know how to use it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-06032008.jpg  

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-06032008001.jpg  

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-06032008007.jpg  

Old 21st March 2008, 20:00   #1897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It actually depends on what you want to shoot.
If you buy a camera which is most popular on flickr, it will not guarantee that your pictures will be most popular on flickr.
@tsk1979, I shall be using the camera for normal day to day purpose,I don't even know the basics of photography.But sometimes if you buy a good product then it might help you learn things that one was never aware of.
I need a camera that gives excellent results,easy to use and doesn't need much time to get one's hand on.
Can someone plz help me the prices of SI5 and SI3 in delhi and from where they can be bought.
Cheers!
Old 21st March 2008, 20:26   #1898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Romyeo4u, i have bought a Nikon D40X about 6 months ago. I must confess, its an absolutely wonderful camera. I strongly recommend you to go for it.
Hey Avi
where did you get the d40X from? how much did it cost you?

I'm looking for a warranty one,do you know any place in hyd, Digital shoppy, PCH (they don't even know about the model)

Adios
Old 22nd March 2008, 13:19   #1899
BHPian

Sigma DP1

The Sigma DP1 has a sensor around the size of those found in most DLSRs - although it is greatly different in terms of design - and aims to offer equivalent image-quality and specification in a compact format. In common with Sigma's DSLR offerings it utilizes Foveon's direct-image-sensor technology which detects three colors at each of its 4.6 million pixels (collecting the same amount of color data as a conventional 14 mega pixel sensor).

Link:Sigma announces DP1 to be available spring 2008: Digital Photography Review
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-sigma_dp1_fr001.jpg  

Old 22nd March 2008, 15:40   #1900
BHPian

After going through this thread, i got to know about my knowledge about photography.F-stop, aperture, ISO,shutter speed and all the technical terms.I think i won't be able to do justice with Canon S5 potenial because i won't be able to use to it's best.

Now i have realised all i need is pocket camera,that will do for me.
Going through the thread i have shortlisted these two cameras for me :-Fujifilm F30/F31fd.
Plz help me out from where i can get these and what are the expected prices.
I know both of them are out of production models,but even then one might find one in market...

Last edited by Gill : 22nd March 2008 at 15:42.
Old 22nd March 2008, 21:48   #1901
BHPian

Fort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
After going through this thread, i got to know about my knowledge about photography.F-stop, aperture, ISO,shutter speed and all the technical terms.I think i won't be able to do justice with Canon S5 potenial because i won't be able to use to it's best.

Now i have realised all i need is pocket camera,that will do for me.
Going through the thread i have shortlisted these two cameras for me :-Fujifilm F30/F31fd.
Plz help me out from where i can get these and what are the expected prices.
I know both of them are out of production models,but even then one might find one in market...
check out Fort Area, behind VT Station!
Old 22nd March 2008, 22:16   #1902
BHPian

@MillionSwords,
I think you are talking about mumbai? right!!Any idea whether F31fd is available there?Price it commands.It has got great reviews and i think it would be a great camera to have!
Old 22nd March 2008, 23:53   #1903
Senior - BHPian

Gill ask tsk1979 for shops in Delhi.
Old 23rd March 2008, 00:38   #1904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Adios
Quote:
Hey Avi
where did you get the d40X from? how much did it cost you?

I'm looking for a warranty one,do you know any place in hyd, Digital shoppy, PCH (they don't even know about the model)

Adios
Romyeo4u, The D40x is a good camera but you should be aware of its pitfalls. One major reason to choose Nikon over other makes is its massive range of lenses from the last 50-60 years, which work with varying degrees of compatibility with almost all camera bodies Nikon has ever made. What this means is there is a huge market of second-hand Nikon equipment where one can pick up lenses on the cheap. My collection of lenses at the end of this post are from varying vintages/makes and all work with full functionality with my D70s.
The D40x works fully only with the latest AF-S lenses. All other AF Nikon lenses wont autofocus with it. AF-S lenses are either very cheap or very expensive. In some cases this restriction limits your choices. For example if you want a 70-300mm zoom and want to retain full AF then your only choice with the D40/x is the 70-300mm VR which costs about $550. The 70-300mm G, which is 1/4th the price of the VR version, won't autofocus on the D40x. This compatibility issue is not a concern if all you want are a couple of basic lenses with the camera. You get cheap AF-S lenses from 18mm to 200mm that do the job well. It matters if you are really into your photography and always on the look out for good used glass.
As far as the price is concerned its going to be hard to get the D40x with Nikon India warranty for 25k. The official price in India with 18-55mm kit lens is about Rs. 34,000. Within your budget you'll get a grey market piece.
For these reasons it may be worth your while to check out the Canon DSLR range. I'm not too familiar with their products, compatibility and prices. Perhaps someone else here can help.
Starscream
Nikon D70s, Nikon 18-200mm DX AF-S VR, Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D ED, Nikon 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 AF-S, Nikon 45mm f2.8P, Tokina 12-24mm f4 AF DX, Nikon Speedlight SB-600, Leica M3, Yashica T5 Carl Zeiss.

Last edited by StarScream : 23rd March 2008 at 00:40.
Old 23rd March 2008, 00:53   #1905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I got a rare chance to play with a 27 year old SLR, the Canon AE-1. This belongs to a colleague in the US. He remembers to have brought in the late 70's and it was just released about a week back.

But I later found out that this model is a Canon AE-1 Program released in 1981. I took a few images and proccesed, none came out well. I dont think I know how to use it.
Mail4ajo, Yes I remember this camera. It was Canon's first SLR with aperture priority mode hence the name AE for auto exposure, I think.
What exactly was the problem with your shots? It's possible the shutter mechanism with a camera this old has lost its accuracy. That said I have a Leica M3, which is about 40 years old, and still works fine.
Does the AE-1's light meter still work? Are you getting exposure readings? One way to check if its working fine is to take a light reading from another, newer SLR, if you have one, and a test shot. Then switch the AE-1 to manual, set the shutter and aperture to the reading from the newer camera and take a few test shots. You can vary the shutter speed up and down a stop or two. When you get the film back and compare with the shot from the new camera, you'll be able to tell whether the AE-1 is fine, off by a little or by much.
Incidentally, it is a camera that many old photo repair shops may be able to fix as long as it doesn't require a major change of parts.

Most Viewed