Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2008, 18:52   #1861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Smallest SLR with Liveview: Little wonder: Olympus launches E420: Digital Photography Review

Now with a new 25mm F2.8 pancake lens.
For $700 I think its super VFM... infact street prices will be much lower.... D40 is under pressure for sure
Old 7th March 2008, 17:36   #1862
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to buy a high end Point and shoot digital camera and am struck between two options

1. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18K
2. Canon S5 IS

I am very sure thati am not yet ready to own and handle a DSLR , but would like to start getting used to features on DSLRs. This would be a step through camera for me. I travel a lot by road and photography interests be because it helps me share with other people , my experinces and the sights i have seen...

Could someone here help me out in reaching a conclusive decision? Given my usage pattern .. would be more inclined towards Nature and Wildlife...

Secondly i intend to buy the camera online ( either from Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more ) for obvious reasons. What kind of duties would i run into if i get the cameras delivered to India if there are any ?
Old 7th March 2008, 20:49   #1863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
I am very sure thati am not yet ready to own and handle a DSLR , but would like to start getting used to features on DSLRs.
That is not true. I use the Auto mode 50% of the time (although I see its reducing). There is nothing wrong in first timers buying DSLR especially with the current prices. Earlier price difference was enormous, now thats not the case. The only issue for first timers is whether they dont mind carrying the extra weight. A basic DSLR with a reasonable 18-135 or 18-250 zoom should do good for a long time.

If you still want to go with the other choices, I would go for the canon S5-IS.
Old 8th March 2008, 00:43   #1864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to buy a high end Point and shoot digital camera and am struck between two options

2. Canon S5 IS

Secondly i intend to buy the camera online ( either from Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more ) for obvious reasons. What kind of duties would i run into if i get the cameras delivered to India if there are any ?
It makes a lot of sense to buy a SLR. I was under a similar suitation a few months back and brought a 350D. I just brought a S5IS for a friend from circuitcity for $339+tax. Playing with it this week. I liked the cam, zoom capabilites are kind of limited, only 12X. If you feel you will be happy with the 12X zoom, go ahead with the S5IS. Also look at Olympus, SP-560UZ

I would suggest you get the camera from places like Bhphoto or adorama and get it shipped through a contact in a US location. It doesnt make sense to ship India. I got a lens from Bhphoto and amazed at their speed and service.
Old 8th March 2008, 10:46   #1865
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. Canon S5 IS
I am very sure thati am not yet ready to own and handle a DSLR
the biggest advantage of the DSLR is their bigger sensor.

CCDs are notoriously insensitive to light (compared with film). So you need all the help you can get. Even the later super zooms like the casio EX f1 and Fuji S100/S1000 etc..wont be able to match the output of a DSLR.

Casio Exilim: EX-F1:Overview
FUJIFILM Global | FinePix S100FS : Overview
Old 10th March 2008, 06:25   #1866
BHPian

Doubt regarding DSLR camera

Hello all,

I am thinking of buying a DSLR camera. Since DSLR cameras come with interchangeable lenses, I am confused in following issues:
1. How important is the DSLR body? If I have a low end body (Rebel XT or D40) and a high end lens, will it be good enough?
2. I am using S5 IS currently, and want to upgrade to DSLR. My budget is upto $750. Please suggest me a decent combo of body + lens(es) which would give me decent wide angle as well as zoom capability. It SHOULD have a macro mode. Image stabilizer is more than welcome. But I am sure DSLR lenses with IS are way too costly.

I will be buying camera from US, so please suggest an online store which will offer competitive prices as well as is reliable.

I buy all my photography related stuff from Adorama in NYC and found them pretty reliable and knowledgeable as well. But if there are any other stores (online as well as 'physical'), please let me know.

TIA.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th March 2008 at 06:45. Reason: Threads merged.
Old 10th March 2008, 07:43   #1867
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
2. I am using S5 IS currently, and want to upgrade to DSLR. My budget is upto $750. Please suggest me a decent combo of body + lens(es) which would give me decent wide angle as well as zoom capability. It SHOULD have a macro mode. Image stabilizer is more than welcome. But I am sure DSLR lenses with IS are way too costly.
Since you said IS, decent wide and zoom, I would suggest Olympus E-510.

Amazon.com: Olympus Evolt E510 10MP Digital SLR Camera with CCD Shift Image Stabilization and 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Zuiko Lenses: Electronics

You will get 28mm to 300mm EFL in 2 very good lenses, body based IS, liveview, and working anti-dust. But if you are brand conscious, look at Canon 450D or Nikon D60.
Old 10th March 2008, 08:00   #1868
BHPian

What is the difference between body based IS (mechanical IS as in case of E510) and lens based IS (optical IS)?
Can the two be compared?
Which is more effective for decent zooms (upto 300 mm)?
Old 10th March 2008, 09:16   #1869
Team-BHP Support

Read this: Image Stabilization - Lens vs. Body

Don't worry too much about the technology part yet. Switching from P&S to dSLR is a huge shift, you are about to give up lots of user friendly features to gain better control over your picture making. All my shots so far in non-auto image thread are shot using non-IS dSLR E-500, the predecessor of E-510. The IS is useful in 10% of the shots, otherwise it isn't that important. It is most helpful in low-light/low-speed situations.
Old 10th March 2008, 13:07   #1870
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. How important is the DSLR body?
2. My budget is upto $750.
I buy all my photography related stuff from Adorama in NYC
At $750 spend more on the lens.
what focal range do you want to cover? to cover the focal range of the canon S5 you will need 2 lenses (18-55 and 55-200) or a 18-200 (nikon's lens alone costs $750) and still you will fall a bit short.

your options are the Nikon D40, Oly 510 or the Canon Xti
9420 Nikon D40 6.1 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Two Lens Kit, with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX & 55mm - 200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX - USA Warranty
262072 Olympus Evolt E-510 10.0 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with 2.5" HyperCrystal LCD Screen with 14-42 mm & 40-150 mm Lens
ICADRXTIBK3 Canon Digital Rebel XTi SLR 10.1MB Camera Black Body Twin Lens Kit with Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III - U.S.A. Warranty
The last kit allows you to push till 400mm but leaves a small hole between 70 and 100mm (35mm equivalent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Switching from P&S to dSLR is a huge shift
The IS is useful in 10% of the shots...most helpful in low-light/low-speed situations.
the big difference is the much larger snesor (P&S sensors are about 1/2" diagonal, APS-C sensors have about 10 times the surface area.
Digital Sensor Size
Old 10th March 2008, 16:04   #1871
BHPian

Thank you.

I will decide between the options and let you know.
I am more inclined towards canon because of availability of more lenses at an affordable prices. Olympus body is very good featurewise, but olympus lenses are way too expensive, should I decide to buy another specialized lens after some time.

With the launch of Rebel XSi, do you expect the XTi to become still cheaper? Is it worthwhile to wait for a couple of months?
Old 10th March 2008, 16:07   #1872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am very sure thati am not yet ready to own and handle a DSLR , but would like to start getting used to features on DSLRs. This would be a step through camera for me. I travel a lot by road and photography interests be because it helps me share with other people , my experinces and the sights i have seen...

Could someone here help me out in reaching a conclusive decision? Given my usage pattern .. would be more inclined towards Nature and Wildlife...
Hellstar, an SLR is an infinitely more flexible picture taking machine than a P&S. Today entry-level and prosumer SLRs have auto modes that basically convert them into big, expensive P&S cameras. Don't worry about features because these SLRs come down to your level with auto everything modes. The minute you are ready to do more and start to unravel features an SLR will grow with you.
If you're going to shoot nature and wildlife then you need two things: the ability to get close i.e. a macro lens, and the ability to stop action and shoot in low light i.e. a fast lens. If you have an SLR you can add those capabilities as and when your skill and budget increases. A P&S in those respects is very limiting.
The other advantage of a dSLR over a P&S is picture quality. As Navin said the sensor on a dSLR is much bigger than a P&S.
Old 10th March 2008, 16:39   #1873
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Olympus body is very good featurewise, but olympus lenses are way too expensive, should I decide to buy another specialized lens after some time.
Well, high grade lenses are expensive in any system, not just Olympus. Only super-high grade lenses are prohibitive. You get 28-300 EFL in kit lenses.

Olympus Zuiko 70mm - 300mm f/4.0-5.6 Macro/Zoom - $400 (140-600mm EFL)
Olympus Zuiko 18mm - 180mm f/3.5-6.3 - $425 (36-360mm walkaround lens)
Olympus Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro - $200 (cheapo but decent macro lens)
Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 E-ED 1:2 Macro - $425 (sharpest lens in Olympus system)

Now, do compare it with equivalent Canon lenses with IS or even without.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th March 2008 at 16:40.
Old 10th March 2008, 17:14   #1874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of buying a DSLR camera. Since DSLR cameras come with interchangeable lenses, I am confused in following issues:
1. How important is the DSLR body? If I have a low end body (Rebel XT or D40) and a high end lens, will it be good enough?
Abhijit, beyond 6 megapixels on a DSLR for most amateur users is overkill. Unless you really blow-up your pictures you won't see a difference between 6mp and 10mp. To answer your question, a low-end body will do just fine as long as you know its limitations in terms of features. I've been shooting Nikon for the last 12 years. I am more familiar with that system and my answers are specific to Nikon. On the D40 you'll have to be careful to only buy the new AF-S type lenses (the ones with a built-in motor) otherwise the body will not auto focus. That isn't a problem with higher end bodies such as the D80, which will focus with all Nikkor AF lenses from the last two decades.

Quote:
In your budget, its tough to fit in a high-end lens but then Im not sure what you mean by that. However, if one compromises on expensive, fast glass then one can meet most of your criteria within the Nikon system:
Get the D40 body and with it the 18-55 AF-S DX entry-level zoom. Adorama has that kit for $500. Add the 55-200 AF-S DX VR lens for $200. That gives you a two-lens kit that goes from 28mm to 300mm (35mm equivalent) with vibration reduction (VR-Nikon's version of Canon's IS) where it matters and is needed, on the longer focal lengths, all for $700 with room for taxes and esentials like memory cards. The 18-55 focuses close so you get some macro ability. If you don't want two lenses and are willing to compromise on zoom range then you can get the 10 mp D40x ($470) with the 18-135mm lens ($275) for $745 but you don't get VR and I'm not sure how close the 18-135mm focusses. If you can get the D40 body alone or you can convince Adorama to switch the 18-55 kit lens to the VR version then with the 55-200 VR lens you can get VR throughout the focal length range for under $750.

Quote:
I will be buying camera from US, so please suggest an online store which will offer competitive prices as well as is reliable.
I buy all my photography related stuff from Adorama in NYC and found them pretty reliable and knowledgeable as well. But if there are any other stores (online as well as 'physical'), please let me know.
Adorama is very good, as is B&H Photo Video in NYC. I've bought online from Adorama and physically from B&H. They are the most reputable and reliable shops in NYC.
Hope this helps.
StarScream
D70s, Tokina 12-24mm f4, Nikon 45mm f2.8P, Nikon 24-85mm f3.5-4.5, Nikon 80-200mm f2.8, SB-600, Leica M3.

Last edited by StarScream : 10th March 2008 at 17:19.
Old 10th March 2008, 19:46   #1875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Adorama is very good, as is B&H Photo Video in NYC. I've bought online from Adorama and physically from B&H. They are the most reputable and reliable shops in NYC.
Navin gave me good info on these vendors, I brought from BH photo on the phone and service was so prompt. Packing was excellant and arrived in perfect shape. The person on the phone gave me a good insight on the lens features. Got a good deal compared to the stores which sells for about $120 more.

Most Viewed