Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 12:40   #61
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Unknown post some more details - what is the item, cost and why the seller is insisting on bank transfer (have you asked him?)
Item is a laptop, costs around 55k, He said that paypal couldn't verify address in india so he's nervous about that, So i don't have a verified shipping address that's why he's interested on bank transfer, he's worried about chargebacks.

What's the process of bank transfer/fee ?
Old 30th September 2009, 13:24   #62
BHPian

My first purchase on eBay was through the now infamous 250 INR coupon. But it made me realize that there are many killer deals available on eBay. Since then I've made cumulative purchases of about 1 Lakh and never had any reason to be satisfied.

There was a problem in one of the purchases - WD Media Player, the item didn't work. I contacted the seller, he asked me to send back the item, which I did and he promptly send em the replacement. Which worked absolutely fine.

My most recent purchase had been a Sony Xperia X1, which I bought last week. I bought it for Rs. 23,990/- with bill and warranty, whereas I believe it is available for 36K in shops. I don't know how the seller sold is so cheap, but it's a genuine piece. It is legally imported by Sony India, was seal-packed, and the bill was genuine.

So two thumbs-up to eBay from my side.

\N
Old 30th September 2009, 23:51   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Item is a laptop, costs around 55k, He said that paypal couldn't verify address in india so he's nervous about that, So i don't have a verified shipping address that's why he's interested on bank transfer, he's worried about chargebacks.

Can't you give an address of any relatives of yours living in a city or something like that.By doing that the paypal would be able to verify your address.

Well about the transfer fee,it would be very less for inter branch transaction inside India,but don't know about the international one.
Old 1st October 2009, 12:38   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
Can't you give an address of any relatives of yours living in a city or something like that.By doing that the paypal would be able to verify your address.

YOu need to give Paypal the same address as your credit card billing address. What Paypal will do (one time), is send the details to the respective bank for verification (you will be charged $2 one time IIRC). If the bank confirms your address then its called Paypal verified acct/card.

MOst shippers - esp of high value items - will also insist on shipping only to paypal confirmed addresses. This is to negate credit card fraud and associated risks.

So if Paypal has not been able to or has failed in verifying the address, then most sellers on Ebay etc will see red - and naturally any seller will insist on money hitting their account before shipment.
Old 1st October 2009, 14:42   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
My first purchase on eBay was through the now infamous 250 INR coupon. But it made me realize that there are many killer deals available on eBay. Since then I've made cumulative purchases of about 1 Lakh and never had any reason to be satisfied.

So two thumbs-up to eBay from my side.

\N
I guess u meant u never had any reason to be dis-satisfied .
Old 1st October 2009, 14:52   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
I guess u meant u never had any reason to be dis-satisfied .
Bang on sammyboy. Thanx for pointing out the BEEEG mistake.

\N
Old 1st October 2009, 15:18   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The seller is wrong. PayPal can verify addresses in India. I have a PayPal verified card account and address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
YOu need to give Paypal the same address as your credit card billing address. What Paypal will do (one time), is send the details to the respective bank for verification (you will be charged $2 one time IIRC). If the bank confirms your address then its called Paypal verified acct/card.

MOst shippers - esp of high value items - will also insist on shipping only to paypal confirmed addresses. This is to negate credit card fraud and associated risks.

So if Paypal has not been able to or has failed in verifying the address, then most sellers on Ebay etc will see red - and naturally any seller will insist on money hitting their account before shipment.
kb100 is right. PayPal makes a marginal charge on your credit card to verify the card billing address. This process has to be done by you, not the seller. You need to open a PayPal account, give your credit card details and ask them to verify it. It happens quickly. The charge to your card will contain a verification code that you have to enter in your PayPal account to complete the process. Even before you get your bill with the code you can call the card company and ask for the code, so that you don't have to wait for the full billing cycle to get over.

Last edited by StarScream : 1st October 2009 at 15:26.
Old 1st October 2009, 17:47   #68
BANNED

StarScream
That process is for verifying account NOT Shipping Address ! so that you can send more money than $50, Your Account is verified but your address Isn't !
Old 1st October 2009, 18:38   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Thanks for your inputs. I've asked my friend (actually a friend's cousin) to buy the Stingers for me, lets see how it works out to be..

What is the price you got the Stinger Helix for? You got them here in India or abroad? Whats the approx price of these in India?
Finally got the Stinger's yesterday.. Now waiting to replace my blue BOSS RCA's with these..

The product was in proper packaging and total cost including shipping was $19.95

Hope it was a good deal. What is the price in India for the this or similar product?

A bit OT, the cables are very greasy after removing from the package, is it always like this? The packaging and product is exactly as the following images,
Attached Thumbnails
Is it good to buy from ebay.co.in / Ebay's Global EasyBuy system?-21b0_2.jpg  

Is it good to buy from ebay.co.in / Ebay's Global EasyBuy system?-shx41.jpg  

Old 1st October 2009, 20:46   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
StarScream
That process is for verifying account NOT Shipping Address ! so that you can send more money than $50, Your Account is verified but your address Isn't !

Account CANNOT be verified unless all the details provided to Paypal - including the address - is as per the card details and billing address with the card issuing bank.

Some sellers insist that the billing address and shipping address have to be the same (again to prevent credit card fraud - meaning goods purchased cannot be shipped to anyone else)
Old 1st October 2009, 21:13   #71
Senior - BHPian

Does PayPal verification wait time include weekends? - Yahoo! Answers
Old 1st October 2009, 21:14   #72
BANNED

Quote:
StarScream
Your address is verified alongwith the account and obviously the address verified will be the CC billing address. Most international sellers will ship only to this address linked with your CC or sometimes to a domestic address (in your case an US address).

So if the seller is saying that your address is not a Paypal verified address is it when you asked him to ship to an address other than your billing address?

When i bought stuff from ebay.com and few other sites using paypal i never had any trouble getting items shipped to my billing address.
Old 1st October 2009, 22:08   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Your address is verified alongwith the account and obviously the address verified will be the CC billing address. Most international sellers will ship only to this address linked with your CC or sometimes to a domestic address (in your case an US address).

So if the seller is saying that your address is not a Paypal verified address is it when you asked him to ship to an address other than your billing address?

When i bought stuff from ebay.com and few other sites using paypal i never had any trouble getting items shipped to my billing address.
No I didn't ask him to ship on other address other than billing address.
Old 2nd October 2009, 09:25   #74
BANNED

I suggest that you stick to Paypal for payment and don't do a direct transfer because Paypal offers you a bit of protection in case the deal goes wrong. I assume you wouldn't have any difficulty in seeking seek out another ebay seller who's happy with paypal and selling the same laptop you have set your mind on.
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:51   #75
BHPian

Bought a used blackberry from ebay Global Buy at 3,000rs probably network locked on to a US carrier. just paid for it today. hopefully it arrives after 2 weeks. Will update on ebay global buy experience.suprisingly the Ebay reseller who ships items from us even has a call center in india!!

Most Viewed