Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 10:54   #106
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Am not entirely convinced. Here's why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
One strange thing- i was looking at buying some microfibers, and the cost of buying and getting it here in india for an item was Rs 2100, however if i buy from EBAY USA and get it shipped to india it costs Rs 1600.00
Reason : Additional cog in the mechanism. The internet has traditionally bypassed middlemen. On the other hand, ebay's new initiative adds one more to the equation = The int'l reseller. Basically, instead of you buying directly from the item seller, the int'l reseller comes in between....buying from the seller and shipping to the eventual buyer. The price difference that mkh sees is most probably the service charge / profit margin of the int'l reseller.

Also, the way that our customs dept. works, sometimes you get charged for imported goods and sometimes you don't. As an example, most merchandise I've bought from Amazon made its way straight to my office. However, for some of them, I was made to pay duty (even though the items were the same as previously cleared without duty). Ebay's new system seems to make import duties a compulsion on every item.

Quote:
Make a single payment which includes shipping charges, export duties levied by the exporting country and customs duties, customs clearing charges, service tax, insurance and other charges applicable in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Perhaps an answer to a lot of the problems us gadget / auto-part / ebay-freaks face.
I think its going to help Indian sellers more than Indian buyers. Reason = Indian sellers enjoy a low cost advantage. This move would give international buyers the confidence to purchase from Indian sellers. Any additional fees are more than negated by the low pricing of Indian sellers.

Quote:
Transaction is PaisaPay protected and you are eligible for a full refund if you do not receive the item.
The biggest plus, yet one that comes at a price.
Old 12th January 2010, 10:59   #107
BHPian

Well as for my experience.global buy only works if the item is listed as brand new.else the sale is cancelled by the reseller.Gto you got away without paying customs duty but where the items small and expensive or where they large?
Old 12th January 2010, 13:09   #108
mkh
Senior - BHPian

best way

The best way- to find some good pal who is a frequent flyer ( or you become one) and get all whats needed from the US directly
That way avoid all this hassle...what is surprising is that india has such a HUGE consumer base and we are still struggling to get the same quality stuff that goes to the US from our own neighbor hood- China...
In fact i have been looking at car detailing stuff- with out doubt ours is one of the MOST hostile environments for cars and we need the detailing stuff BIG time here- and we are the ones who are the MOST deprived:(
Even malaysia has local manufacturing that is superb( found out during my visits there)...wonder when will see those days here!!!
Old 12th January 2010, 13:26   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The biggest plus, yet one that comes at a price.
This is no different to what you have now with PayPal. If you get scammed, you get your money back. PaisaPay is the same thing with a friendly name for the Indian public.
Old 11th April 2010, 23:07   #110
BANNED

Is paypal is working now for sending money to abroad from here ?

Ps: Why paypal now asking for pan no though.
Old 12th April 2010, 03:06   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Is paypal is working now for sending money to abroad from here ?

Ps: Why paypal now asking for pan no though.
when i logged in to paypal it was also asking for mobile no pan no

But the problem is i don't have the pan no.
Old 12th April 2010, 15:30   #112
BHPian

Ebay has improved a lot during 2009-2010. Ebay india has toughest encryption protocols and that no hacker can fiddle with the sockets. Ebay.com, ebay.co.uk, ebay.com.au, ebay.com.my and ebay.co.in are trustworthy online malls. As I did read above the middle level marketer is minused so the end customer gets the benefit of a lower purchase price.

As an example, I bought a stereo bluetooth headset for Rs 1200 from ebay.co.in in 2009, the seller and ebay's service was good as per Indian standards. I bought a series of electronic items for Ebay.co.in. I won several bids on automotive accessories which are upto mark and some gadgets/items are never to be seen on the shops or road side stalls.

Well, its not about buying a mechanical toolbox from ebay.com. People in the west buy almost everything from online shops like amazon.com and buy.com

I bought a cheapest wifi router Akeeo (marketed by Amplebit technologies) for my clinic and 6 months past I have no issues. D-liink, protech and others cost above Rs 1600 and I got mine for Rs 900.

I also communicate with the seller directly via phone or email before and after ordering so verification process is completed.

There are certain items which are never marketed elsewhere, I got a 25 band radio reciever with PLL control, from ebay.com.my, normally an FM channel will broadcast only for 50kms, but Kchibo radio catches Ahmedabad channels also.

The only thing I would suggest to Ebay.co.in is to stop marketing chinese items like the bricky dual-sim imei(less) phones.
Old 12th April 2010, 15:41   #113
BANNED

As far as the duties were concerned in the UK the system was that the customs trusted the couriers, who were responsible for charging the duty and depositing it in Her Majesties Treasury. It is high time we did something similar. You got the stuff straight away and then had to pay the courier (mostly through plastic).
Old 16th April 2010, 16:18   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
I got a 25 band radio reciever with PLL control, from ebay.com.my, normally an FM channel will broadcast only for 50kms, but Kchibo radio catches Ahmedabad channels also.
Nice! Any links related to this?
Old 19th April 2010, 10:27   #115
BHPian

you can search for the Kchibo radio website. Another top class pll based radio reciever Tecsun. It is China made, but the quality and reliability is as good as Grundig or Sony. It is available in UK and US markets since years. They also manufacture Ham radios and CB radios.

There is a model in Kchibo which runs on a rechargeble Nokia BL-5C battery with all nokia accessories.

BTW, going back to the thread, I am about to puchase extended 3200 mah BLA160 battery for my HTC Touch HD with an enlarged back cover from Ebay.in
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:50   #116
BHPian

No Shipping charges - limited period offer

As part of a limited period offer, ebay is offering a waiver on international shipping charges for purchases from Global Easy Buy.

I got this offer in an email earlier today. I'm going to go nuts ordering ICE

Not sure if this offer is for all ebay accounts.
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:09   #117
BANNED

Just watch out for new vendors or vendors with poor ratings. I will stick to the highly rated vendors only. Filing a claim abroad is more tricky.
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:12   #118
Senior - BHPian

Don't trust a vendor with a rating below 99%.
The only time I had a problem with a seller was when he had 98.xx% feedback rating.
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:17   #119
Senior - BHPian

For all CitiBank CC owners, try BorderLinx. Much better IMO.
Old 4th May 2010, 14:49   #120
BHPian

The free international shipping fee offer is already gone :(

Ordered me a mono amp Clarion DPX11551 for 19K all inclusive but the offer sold out before I could order two Kappa subs to go with it.

With the offer gone, it is now cheaper to buy them in India (Shipping for a pair of subs is 10K). Was quite an offer while it lasted !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks