Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2014, 08:05   #226
BHPian

Re: UPS for TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
If you have a DVR set top box you can do what I have done. I have a small 600VA UPS only for the set top box. That way even when power fails the DVR just continues to record and I can rewind and watch the show.
I second that. I too have Tata Sky Plus DVR which works pretty well with a small UPS such as 600VA. Besides you can watch the program whenever you have time rather than when it is broadcast.

UPS maintenance can be a headache. The cost of replacing batteries is high for higher VA UPSes.
Old 14th February 2015, 12:17   #227
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which UPS to buy ?

Can I use my spare 600VA computer UPS to power a pedestal fan rated at 55W?

It doesn't seem to power my 32" TV and set top box, however!
Old 27th February 2015, 11:41   #228
BHPian

My need is to run the following:

Basic:
1. Internet modem (Dlink~Tata Docomo modem)
2. Asus RT-N10E wifi router

Optional:
1. Laptop (Dell 15" with 90 W adapter)

Backup time:
Basic: 3~3.5 hours
Option: 1.5~2 hours (?)

Budget: 2~4K INR.

I see from previous pages on this thread, that APC would be the choice of brand to give me a decent worry-free-product ( & service -if required)

Could anyone point at good model for this use?

These are the ones with decent reviews:
Simple APC Back UPS 600VA @ 2.2K

Another APC 700VA @ 4K

Thanks,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 27th February 2015 at 11:57.
Old 1st March 2015, 10:12   #229
Senior - BHPian

My APC BackUPS 700VA's RBC17 battery is finally gone bad. Last night there was a power failure and I got immediate beeps and then the UPS shutdown. I only had my router connected to it.

So, while looking for replacements, I came across the replacement on Amazon.in for about Rs. 1600.

I can see from the earlier posts that the smaller Exide is around Rs. 800.

Now, paying twice for the extra 1.5 Ah does not make sense.

Has anyone recently done a replacement for APC?
Old 1st March 2015, 18:44   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
I see from previous pages on this thread, that APC would be the choice of brand to give me a decent worry-free-product ( & service -if required)
Precisely for same reason I fell for APC. Some might have had good experience with them, though at least in Pune they are absolutely pathetic.

I bought 1100VA model from them.

Firstly, getting a quote was a long wait.

I went to their shop and bought the product and found that it wasn't functioning at all. On calling, they told someone from the company needs to come and install it for you. (Some connections were to be made for the particular model by opening the device, which only technicians could.)

Nobody told us that this was to be expected in the first place.

So about a week elapsed with daily follow up when someone came and made those connections. (It is draconian for a product like UPS to not work out of the box.)

After that the UPS would never charge fully, even after 2/3 days of charging. It was replaced within warranty with a refurbished piece.

The story does not end there. The refurbished piece gave no backup whatsoever. On complaining, they were hesitant saying your UPS has already been replaced once. Had no regret whatsoever when it was their product, a brand new purchase, had not functioned properly for the customer.

On relentless follow up, with great reluctance, they replaced the device one more time. That too not onsite. We had to take the UPS to their shop.

The battery life has been poor. It gave up within a year or so. For the sake of argument let's say my usage was responsible for short life. (Actually not. But that apart.)

The further agony with a so called reputed brand for service was awaiting. When asked for quote of replacement battery, nobody even spoke properly. After getting 2/3 such responses (each keeping the phone on hold for 15 mins on average) bought an after market battery from a technician. Costed Rs 3000 as 1100VA model has 2 batteries.

On many occasions the company office was contacted via email / online complaint. On all occasions they merely responded with contact of their only dealer in Pune.

Later on I had 2 fresh UPS requirements and I bought Champion UPS. Champion is a local yet very old and established maker in Pune. At least so far I did not have anything I can call a bad experience.
Old 3rd March 2015, 14:31   #231
Senior - BHPian

@mayuresh: I just replaced my APC BE700 UPS's original battery with a local PowerZen battery for Rs. 850. The original costs Rs. 1600 on ebay.in.
The PowerZen battery is 7.2 Ah whereas the original RBC4 battery is 9 Ah. No one makes 9 Ah batteries in the market, it seems.

Now, earlier there was good dealer for APC (Modular Electronics?) who stopped supporting APC a couple of years ago. Not sure why.

I would like to know more about Champion UPS.
I am looking for a 400 Watt UPS with inbuilt battery (5 minutes backup is enough) but it should produce sine wave output.

I already have an inverter, so I do not need one more.
Old 31st March 2017, 13:21   #232
BHPian

I wanted a small ups to power my Wi-Fi router (Having power ratings as 12V & 0.5Amps) & ACT Modem (Having Power ratings as 12V & 0.5Amps) for upto 1 hour till the building power switches from the main source to the DG & vice versa. Have shortlisted Resonate RouterUPS CRU12V2 after surfing online. Does anyone have any better options?
Old 31st March 2017, 20:43   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpatnaik View Post
I wanted a small ups to power my Wi-Fi router (Having power ratings as 12V & 0.5Amps) & ACT Modem (Having Power ratings as 12V & 0.5Amps) for upto 1 hour till the building power switches from the main source to the DG & vice versa. Have shortlisted Resonate RouterUPS CRU12V2 after surfing online. Does anyone have any better options?
Some people seems to have some bad experience with this product, as per Amazon reviews. Suggest that you research some more on this before buying.

As for me - just placed an order for an UPS for the computer : http://www.amazon.in/APC-Back-UPS-BE...972111&sr=1-11
Old 6th April 2017, 16:22   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Some people seems to have some bad experience with this product, as per Amazon reviews. Suggest that you research some more on this before buying.
[/url]

The product is made in PRC. The product is rated 12V with 2A current. Since my router & modem are rated 12V < 0.5 Amps so may be the power backup may be more than 4 hours. The UPS is powered by 6000 mAH Li-Ion batteries & is highly compact.

I went ahead and placed the order for the Resonate UPS and recied the same:

http://www.amazon.in/RESONATE-Router...ilpage_o00_s00

Also odered aditional cable to power both devices from same UPS:-

http://www.amazon.in/Generic-Splitte...ilpage_o01_s00

After using the above bridge cables, i do not need two power adaptors.

Tested the product and currently it is working fine & provides backup as per the product description. Need to wait and see for how long the product lasts.
Old 20th April 2017, 13:27   #235
Senior - BHPian

I've got a tech query. Will a typical computer UPS be able to power a table fan for about 30-60 minutes?
We have started having generator problems in our apartment and all I need is a fan to run in the bedroom for the period.
Old 21st June 2017, 12:58   #236
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't find any latest discussion around this so posting here. @Mods : Please redirect this if this isnt the relevant thread

I have 24/7 generator backup in my apartment but it takes around 10-12 seconds for it to kick-in when there's a power cut. And lately the frequency of power fluctuations have increased in my area due to heavy rainfall.

Hence, I am looking to buy an UPS for supporting TV,Set-top box, Modem and PS4 console. What's the VA rating I should look at? Would 1100VA suffice? I dont want heavy backup, just 10-15 mins max would suffice so that I have enough time to shut them down safely. I want to prevent the devices from sudden cut-offs which is happening nowadays

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SoumenD : 21st June 2017 at 12:59.
Old 29th October 2018, 19:19   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

I have 24/7 generator backup in my apartment but it takes around 10-12 seconds for it to kick-in when there's a power cut.

Hence, I am looking to buy an UPS for supporting TV,Set-top box, Modem and PS4 console. What's the VA rating I should look at? Would 1100VA suffice? I dont want heavy backup, just 10-15 mins max would suffice so that I have enough time to shut them down safely. I want to prevent the devices from sudden cut-offs which is happening nowadays

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Did you buy one? I am also having a similar requirement, got a recommendation from a retailer for this UPS APC BX600C-IN 600VA, 230V Back UPS. However reviews are not so encouraging. Also there are previous posts about how APC is bad in their products and service.

Any recommendations from anyone will help.
Old 29th October 2018, 20:01   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Did you buy one? I am also having a similar requirement, got a recommendation from a retailer for this UPS APC BX600C-IN 600VA, 230V Back UPS. However reviews are not so encouraging. Also there are previous posts about how APC is bad in their products and service.

You may consider 1100 VA Inverter + 100/150 Ah Tubular battery from your nearby Inverter shop. 600 VA UPS won't be good option for u .

Regards
Old 29th October 2018, 22:16   #239
BHPian

@SoumenD,

I am not sure what power the PS4 consumes. But I was running a TV, modem, router, set top box, DVD player & tape deck of the same model (or its equivalent previous model). It lasted for 3 to 4 years. I replaced it with the next higher model in the series. And now I have added a receiver on the UPS too.

I think you should be fine. The thing to note is that not all equipment are switched on at the same time. And then we hardly use equipments like the receiver any where close to its peak power.

Hope this helps.
Old 30th October 2018, 00:16   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
@SoumenD,

I am not sure what power the PS4 consumes.

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post

I got this one. APC BR1000G-IN, 1kva. Cost me some 9 grands.

PS4 consumes heavily . More than all other devices combined, specially with graphics-heavy games these days. And hence most of the reviews online suggested to go for something higher than 600kva.

It's been more than a year and has been working fine. Gave me decent backup whenever needed. Longest required was 15 mins once due to some long power cut (DG took longer than expected as it ran outta diesel). Still had a good 40 mins left while power came back.

Only downside is the fan noise specially when you switch it on or off for around a minute.

Last edited by SoumenD : 30th October 2018 at 00:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks