Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2021, 07:11   #14101
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Functionality question.

What are my options to turn off work apps en masse at the end of my work day, or when out-of-office (weekend/vacation etc.)? I'm used to the Android work profile, which means it's a single tap in the quick settings drop down to enable/disable the entire work apps container.
Previous Android for work user here. I was carrying around two phones, one for work and one for personal which turned out to be a cumbersome thing to do. After the intro of iOS 15, I moved my work apps as well to iPhone and Focus mode + Quiet mode on the O365 apps itself is handling the use case of shutting down work mode in the evening. However, since the focus modes were not designed to act as profiles, there are few hiccups. For e.g. in focus mode, you can "allow" apps only and you can't "deny" apps If I want to have a personal focus mode with no work apps notifying, I will have to allow each of my personal app for notifications, would've been much easier if there was an option to deny the work apps instead. Being said that, the option to hide home screens per profile is rather intuitive and I felt it to be much better than the Android implementation of work profile

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 7th October 2021 at 07:13.
bhp_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 18:49   #14102
BHPian

Got my iPhone 12 Purple yesterday afternoon, mmm Purple. It’s a very different experience. I’m an continuing to use my OnePlus 8T though. In the day I placed order on Flipkart I wasn’t sure if I wanted to purchase the Apple Watch SE on Amazon for 22k(44mm). That was a good deal which I missed.
Old 8th October 2021, 12:19   #14103
Senior - BHPian

After few days of usage I noticed a peculiar problem with iPhone 12 . Left side gets hot while browsing google chrome. Its not consistent. Happens intermittently. At times within 5 mins of usage itself, so not that the phone has been playing videos et all to get hot. No such issues with safari but I was pretty used to chrome. Even in previous 6s never noticed this. Not sure if it’s just my piece or generic 12 issue?

Last edited by SoumenD : 8th October 2021 at 12:23.
Old 8th October 2021, 14:08   #14104
BHPian

The story of 2 iPhones

Act 1, Scene 1

Thursday, 30 September-

3:00 PM- I casually bring up the topic of my moms phone dying (LCD screen getting white spots) and my dad for the first time hears me out. His phone too, a 3 year old Motorola X4 was not able to perform upto his expectations. The phone was good, but since it was only a 64GB one, clearing out for space had to happen at regular intervals.

3:30 PM- I happen to look at these deals on Amazon and Flipkart coming up from 3rd with my brother and inform my dad about them. The plan initially was to get an iPhone 11 for my dad and my mom gets the Moto X4 for a few months. After some serious discussions, it was down to 2 Google Pixel 4a's for both them (use different back cases) which I took as an opportunity to present the iPhone SE.

* Enter iPhone no.1 *

I earlier had my share of apprehensions over the iPhones being a rip off, which took a back seat after spending a day with my friends SE. Everything in it is bloatware free and camera was just stunning. For some reason Flipkart was selling both the SE and Pixel 4a at the discounted price they mentioned these phones will be priced at on 3rd October. It was a never before price, ₹30,999 for the 128 GB iPhone SE and ₹26,999 for the Pixel 4a.

4:00 PM- Dad was convinced with the pricing and went ahead to book a black iPhone SE 128GB for my mom with her Samsung Galaxy M40 put up for exchange. Booked the charging adapter at ₹1900 which was to be delivered with the SE the very next day.

Act 1, Scene 2

10:00 AM- Phone arrives, my excitement knew no bounds. Finally, a phone that was not Android!

11:00 AM- Some thoughts regarding its screen size and battery were constantly eating me up since it was booked. With my fingers crossed, unboxed to find a cute little phone that was similar in size with my dad's old LG Nexus 4. Though the phone was nice to hold, the display did take some time to get used to.

3:00 PM- Few hours into the ownership, some observations made-
1) The touch wasn't responsive and needed 2-3 taps to get it to do the job.
2) Camera was brilliant, it clicked some beautiful pictures.
3) Found the UI not to be that hard to get used to.
Overall, a price light on the pocket and some brilliant firsts made it a happy purchase.

The iPhone Thread-20211008_135955.jpg

Act 2, Scene 1

9:00 PM- The deals in Amazon were to start 3 hours from then, and we had no intention of buying another phone soon.

* Enter iPhone no.2 *

10:00 PM- Articles on iPhone 11 to be priced at ₹38999 pop up. It was a never before deal. Serious discussions on choosing between 11 and 12 start. Initially, iPhone 11 made sense to buy as it was priced 10k lesser than what flipkart was to offer the 12 at next day. A questionable prior experience with flipkart (There was this deal on LG G8X a year ago which as soon as it was launched in the night ran out of stock. Later, articles mentioning some scam came up regarding this) made it all the more worth it to book the iPhone 11.

Saturday, 2nd October

00:00 AM- Deals on Amazon only for Prime members start, and iPhone 11 128 GB is priced at ₹43,999 which was a stellar price for a full fledged iPhone.

00:30 AM- Booked a black iPhone 11 128 GB along with a charging adapter which was to be delivered on the 2nd itself. I asked my dad to push the delivery date to 4th October (Monday) as I still had some hopes of the iPhone 12 being put up at a discounted rate the next day.

01:00 AM- Went to sleep with some part of me excited for the deals to come on 12 rather than the already booked 11.

03:00 PM- News articles on Flipkart plus members getting the iPhone 12 128GB at ₹54,999 show up which brought us back to square one.

Act 2, Scene 2-

5:00 PM- After some detailed analysis on the difference between the iPhone 11 and 12, it was evident that some points did favour the ₹10k additional cost of the 12. At the same time, we found that there were no significant differences in the iPhone 13 over the 12. With a mind in a very unrest state, it was only logical to wait and watch.

Sunday, 3rd October-

12:00 AM- It was real! Immediately booked a black iPhone 12 128GB with a Moto X4 put up for exchange. The next thing to do was cancel the 11.
Finally things were falling in place and the phones for the next few years were in sight.

7:30 PM- Flipkart delivery guy shows up to deliver the phone while the app still showed the delivery date as 4th. Since the phone was already backed up, it took no time to factory reset the phone and hand it over.
And that is the story of how we ended up getting 2 iPhones within a span of 3 days with no prior intentions of buying one. Yes, deals like these can cause miracles in a family that has never used an Apple product before.

The iPhone Thread-img20211008wa0006.jpg

Living with the iPhones-
It has been a nice experience so far with many new things yet to be discovered. Both the phones run on iOS 15 now and I must admit that the subtle differences between iOS 14 and 15 enhanced the usability. Few settings set by default (in box) were not very user friendly. For eg:
1) In the iPhone SE, after googling what the issue with the touch is (as mentioned earlier) I found that there was this option called "Touch Accommodations" that had to be selected. It did make a difference, but I still don't understand why that setting wasn't turned on from the start?
2) One of the main reasons why we picked the iPhone 12 over 11 was the over-advertised OLED display and 1:2,000,000 contrast ratio. This phone had this yellow display when compared to the LCD SE's display. This difference in displays made the whole photo viewing or anything in general unimpressive and not half as worth as the SE. Sure I did have a prior experience with my phone, (M51 has an OLED display while the M40 had a LCD display. The yellowishness was noticeable in the M51.) but the display here was super yellowish that made it kind of a deal breaker until we found that there was this setting to change the display's warmth and blues.

The iPhone Thread-20211008_134824.jpg

Switching phones for various tasks has become a pain now thanks to different navigation bars in the 3 phones. While my phone has the standard buttons, mom's SE comes with a home button and dad's iPhone 12 comes with gesture based controls.

Now, coming to the likes and dislikes of the phones.
Likes-
1) Awesome Portrait mode photos.
2) The phones feel incredible to hold.
3) Few apps under the utilities section and garage band were nice to use.
4) The overall smooth browsing through make it hard for iPhone users to go back to Android after some point of time.
5) Though the SE's display is only 4.7 inches, I find myself making less errors while typing in it over my 6.7 inch display mammoth of a phone.(Samsung Galaxy M51)
6) Finger print and face recognition (in ideal conditions) are spot on.
7) WiFi and data reception is pretty good.

Dislikes-
1)The camera though impressive, is bad when the lens is zoomed in beyond 2.5×.
2) The lack of a finger print sensor in the 12 is making it difficult to use when outside.
3) The notifications when swiped right should make them disappear but not open it!! . Ok, actually coming from Android, I personally would have loved to see that.
4) The battery life is not out of the world. Understandable in the SE, but the 12 too disappointed. They spend decent time plugged to the cord everyday.
5) It would have been great to see an optional pack set at some premium which offers both the adapter and earpods. It is a real pain to buy them separately.
6) I see that there is a way to move your chat from iPhone to Android according to whatsapp FAQs but not the other way. Sucks.

Questions to fellow iPhone owners and pundits now-
1) Why does my "Touch accommodations" setting on the SE reset itself at midnight everyday?

The iPhone Thread-img20211008wa0000.jpg

2) Both the phones connect via Bluetooth with other devices (phones, headphones etc.) but not with each other. The phones say that the other one's not in range even though they are next to each other (Like 3cm away from each other ). How do I rectify this?
3) Air drop used to work from the iPhone 12 to SE but now is taking a lot of time to connect but still fails. Airdrop is not at all working on the SE.

The iPhone Thread-20211008_121941.jpg

I did switch on Bluetooth in both the phones, though both of them don't connect with each other, iPhone 12 was able to send photos earlier. Apart from that, I connected them to the same wifi and set the air drop to contacts only setting. How do I fix this?

Thank you!

P.S- Both a set of female Type-C to male USB A converter for charging and Apple Carplay on the Tata Safari. Works pretty well.

The iPhone Thread-img20211008wa0004.jpg

Carplay in action-

The iPhone Thread-img20211008wa0002.jpg

Link to the product-
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08T5SF2BG/...ing=UTF8&psc=1
@og_adi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 15:53   #14105
BHPian

I’ve used iPhones since the start, never felt the need for Touch Accommodations. Currently I’m using my 12 pro max, often I also use my mums 12 mini and my old 6s. Not a single one has touch issues, I believe the LCD panel on the SE is similar to the 6s maybe try a factory reset? Also no point having touch accommodations enabled if the other two options below are disabled (from your screenshot).
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 15:56   #14106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @og_adi View Post
Questions to fellow iPhone owners and pundits now-
1) Why does my "Touch accommodations" setting on the SE reset itself at midnight everyday?
Unsure of this as mine is turned off.

Quote:
2) Both the phones connect via Bluetooth with other devices (phones, headphones etc.) but not with each other. The phones say that the other one's not in range even though they are next to each other (Like 3cm away from each other ). How do I rectify this?
No Can do. You can't connect 2 iphones/ipad over BT, which is why airdrop is there.

Quote:
3) Air drop used to work from the iPhone 12 to SE but now is taking a lot of time to connect but still fails. Airdrop is not at all working on the SE.
There is some issue with the Airdrop on your SE, which is why the 12 can't transfer things to SE. Go to Settings>General>Airdrop and select Everyone on both your phones. Then retry( and also a restart of both phones before trying). If it works, then the way you have saved your contacts could be the issue here.

As far as I remember, no need to be on the same wi-fi. I have airdropped to iphones without both being connected to known wi-fi( the wifi and BT toggles need to be on however.)

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 8th October 2021 at 16:05. Reason: Mod note attached.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 16:51   #14107
Senior - BHPian

I charge my phone overnight. It used to go into optimized charging but that has stopped working recently. I reset my phone about a week ago and that appears to have been the reason. My location and battery settings look all right. Anything else I should look at ? Will the phone take some time to learn my sleep habits all over again ?
Old 9th October 2021, 06:56   #14108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
After few days of usage I noticed a peculiar problem with iPhone 12 . Left side gets hot while browsing google chrome. Its not consistent. Happens intermittently. At times within 5 mins of usage itself, so not that the phone has been playing videos et all to get hot. No such issues with safari but I was pretty used to chrome. Even in previous 6s never noticed this. Not sure if it’s just my piece or generic 12 issue?
Are you experiencing high battery usage as well while browsing with Chrome? This might mostly be Chrome being power hungry as you don't have any issue with other browsers. I was an avid Chrome user before, moved to Safari few years back on iPhones and Macs, they offer a lot more privacy and security. For desktops, I use Brave offlate. It's based on Chromium, and has all the Chrome addons supported
Old 9th October 2021, 09:28   #14109
BHPian

Chrome in general has become such an inefficient browser. I used safari on my Mac, iPhone and iPad. I used the ‘ublock Origin’ extension to block ads, but of late on safari, it would get disabled for whatever reason.

I have now switched to MS Edge. It’s based on Chromium (same as chrome) and has the same extensions as Chrome. I’m very happy with it. You should give it a try.
Old 9th October 2021, 10:55   #14110
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone noticing yellow tint on their iPhone 12 mini? No setting seems to work. Have tried disabling True Tone and using colour filters but the display is still yellowish compared to my older 6S. Any pointers?
Old 9th October 2021, 11:48   #14111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Anyone noticing yellow tint on their iPhone 12 mini? No setting seems to work. Have tried disabling True Tone and using colour filters but the display is still yellowish compared to my older 6S. Any pointers?
Not noticed anything so far, been on the mini from April this year.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 12:21   #14112
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it looks like a common thing in OLED displays. As mentioned in my earlier post, the iPhone 12's display is yellowish when when compared to LCDs on other devices.

Quote:

2) One of the main reasons why we picked the iPhone 12 over 11 was the over-advertised OLED display and 1:2,000,000 contrast ratio. This phone had this yellow display when compared to the LCD SE's display. This difference in displays made the whole photo viewing or anything in general unimpressive and not half as worth as the SE. Sure I did have a prior experience with my phone, (M51 has an OLED display while the M40 had a LCD display. The yellowishness was noticeable in the M51.) but the display here was super yellowish that made it kind of a deal breaker until we found that there was this setting to change the display's warmth and blues.
Here's what I did-
The results to me seem noticeable and nice to use now.
Step 1: Go to Settings > Accessibility > Display and text size > Colour Filters.
Step 2: Switch the colour filters toggle on and check the Colour Tint option.
Step 3: Decrease the intensity and set the hue to your liking.

The iPhone Thread-img20211009wa0001.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
I’ve used iPhones since the start, never felt the need for Touch Accommodations. Currently I’m using my 12 pro max, often I also use my mums 12 mini and my old 6s. Not a single one has touch issues, I believe the LCD panel on the SE is similar to the 6s maybe try a factory reset? Also no point having touch accommodations enabled if the other two options below are disabled (from your screenshot).
Thank you @AJ56! For some reason, the touch on the back button (top left) or buttons on the edges of the screen take 2-3 taps to recognize or register the touch. After switching on "Touch Accommodations" and setting the parameters below (after reading your post ) to my liking, I find the phone to be better now. If the issue persists, calling the Apple customer care might be a wise option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post

There is some issue with the Airdrop on your SE, which is why the 12 can't transfer things to SE. Go to Settings>General>Airdrop and select Everyone on both your phones. Then retry( and also a restart of both phones before trying). If it works, then the way you have saved your contacts could be the issue here.

As far as I remember, no need to be on the same wi-fi. I have airdropped to iphones without both being connected to known wi-fi( the wifi and BT toggles need to be on however.)
Thank you @riteshritesh! Airdrop works like a charm now. Looks like the issue is with the contacts being saved to icloud. Changing the airdrop setting to everyone helped!
@og_adi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 12:42   #14113
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it’s a very common concern with the 12 lineup, even compared to 11 the displays are slightly warmer in tone, but that is due to better colour accuracy, the earlier displays were less accurate and looked ‘cooler’.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 02:39   #14114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah it’s common with apple oled screen . For starters turn off ‘true colour’ and you will see immediate change. Settings->display & brightness-> disable ‘true tone’

The iPhone Thread-196156981d544844816b8c3d5ad554c7.jpeg

If that doesn’t suffice follow the hue adjustment steps mentioned in above post by @og_adi.

Last edited by SoumenD : 10th October 2021 at 02:41.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 13:46   #14115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Picked up an SE to try iOS, for a few reasons.

1. Don't know if I can live with it, so no point getting something more expensive.

2. Need fingerprint authentication. Can't keep typing in passwords because FaceID is useless with a mask on.

3. Form factor and weight. I don't want a large, heavy phone. My Android already is all that . I want to try the smallest phone I can use without compromising usage.
Turns out I couldn't live with iOS after all, for a few reasons:

1. Biggest peeve has to be the keyboard options (or lack of them). None of the 3rd party options are comparably featured to their Android counterparts, and worse, I can't use 3rd party ones with work apps. Now that's more a workplace MDM policy issue than iOS, but net result I was stuck fiddling with iOS native keyboard on work apps where I type quite a bit. No go.

2. The UI is great and I quite liked some of the UX features, but everything is a few extra clicks. For a heavy user, it all adds up and gets annoying.

3. No explicit separation between Personal and Work profiles. Focus modes are great for granular notification mgmt., but I really like the option to keep apps separated, and single click to turn all work apps off end of my day.

4. Charging. Small battery + fast charging or large battery + slow charging are both livable. Small battery + slow charging? No can do. I did buy the Apple 20W charger, but I come from a warp charging device so it was never a fair fight.

Loved the form factor, so much so that my Android felt like a brick in comparison. Enter Pixel 4a. Small form factor not much bigger than the smaller iPhones, nearly 6 inches of screen real estate and clean Android. Plus it's not a delicate glass sandwich so I can keep it as it came out of the box (I detest covers and cases).

18W USB PD charging isn't the quickest, but the 3080 mAh battery last a full day, so livable.

If I could live with two separate devices, for work and personal use, I'd love to keep the iPhone. As a single heavy usage productivity device, it didn't quite work for my use case. Fantastic in many ways, just not for me.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th October 2021 at 13:49.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks